Tesla Model Y Ride + Quality

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
vfinx

Re: Tesla Model Y Ride + Quality

Post by vfinx »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:55 pm
RJC wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:23 pm
Old Guy wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:51 pm Ford has created a substantial amount of anger over its failures to communicate with those that have ordered and then heard nothing for months.
It's still a Ford in my opinion. Folks tend to overlook that.
I find the lack of charging information viewable inside the car an astounding error. Do they have a mobile app that displays it?
Agreed, the only explanation I can think of is that they were very worried about backlash to their aggressive ramping down of charge rate. Hopefully they change their mind and resolve OTA.
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

vfinx wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:52 pmthe only explanation I can think of is that they were very worried about backlash to their aggressive ramping down of charge rate.
Are you referring to this Mach-E charging speed drop at 80% battery level?

From Engineering Explained's "What's The Best Electric Car? Tesla Dominates In The Ultimate Comparison"
https://youtu.be/W2txPzRP5DM?t=180

The video says the Mustang goes 10%-70% in about 35 minutes but getting the next 20% battery takes almost an hour.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

harikaried wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:33 pm
vfinx wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:52 pmthe only explanation I can think of is that they were very worried about backlash to their aggressive ramping down of charge rate.
Are you referring to this Mach-E charging speed drop at 80% battery level?

From Engineering Explained's "What's The Best Electric Car? Tesla Dominates In The Ultimate Comparison"
https://youtu.be/W2txPzRP5DM?t=180

The video says the Mustang goes 10%-70% in about 35 minutes but getting the next 20% battery takes almost an hour.
I was referring more to an earlier comment from RichK:
The charge rate on the Mach E is a bit unusual. Charging on EA's 350 kW chargers, it starts at around 162 kW for around 5 minutes, then abruptly drops to around 100-110 kW through to 80%, and then drops like a rock.
squirm

Post by squirm »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:55 pm
RJC wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:23 pm
Old Guy wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:51 pm Ford has created a substantial amount of anger over its failures to communicate with those that have ordered and then heard nothing for months.
It's still a Ford in my opinion. Folks tend to overlook that.
I find the lack of charging information viewable inside the car an astounding error. Do they have a mobile app that displays it?
Not only that, EA chargers the speed is almost in fine print, you can't see it from the car. At least in some EV's such as the ID.4 it will display the charging speed in miles/min. I don't understand why it's that difficult to just have a charging rate display in kW, sounds simple. I'm assuming they want to dumb it down for the masses, but at this point in time charging at any "decent" speed is hit or miss. If you don't get a decent speed you have play around with different chargers, unplugging and replugging, then there is the infamous "charging faults" and "vehicle protocol faults", etc, etc. Not to mention not all chargers even work. It's a steamy hot mess pile at this point in time.

How is an 80 year old women going handle DC charging? Let alone try and even get the plug inserted, esp if it's somewhat cold.

The average Joe is going to plug in and think all is good when in reality he has a 50/50 shot of getting a charge above 50kW, if all goes well.

Another gripe with EA is having to sit in a Wally World parking lot. Not sure why that was charging location of choice by the EA higher ups.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

anoop wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:13 pm An interesting C&D article.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a ... ance-race/
Our drivers are split when asked whether the EV 1000 was harder or easier than expected, but most say that if they were to do the trip again, they would do one thing differently: drive a gas car. And that includes the Tesla drivers. We'll know that the charging networks and EV technology are fully baked when we're no longer saying that.
This is sort of inline with folks I know that own Teslas. When they make long road trips (esp in the winter when battery performance is poor) they tend to rent a gas vehicle.
That is why we'll always have a second SUV for longer trips. It's roomier, the ride is smooth, and the gas takes 3 minutes to fill.
cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa »

RJC wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:19 pm
cusetownusa wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:07 am
newyorker wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:33 pm
cusetownusa wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:12 am
Snapper wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:34 am The ride of both model 3 and Y is bone jarring. Very harsh. That does not seem to bother Tesla fans who like the great handling and acceleration are not put off by it. But if a comfortable ride is your thing you will not be happy. I think it is one reason that they are good short haul commuters, where you have the advantage of home charging and the ride is ok for the short time you are in the car.
Are you speaking from experience?

OP, I would suggest you make your way over to Tesla Motors Club forum and look through the posts there in the Model Y sub forum. You will have a much easier time finding what you are looking for in regards to the Model Y then you would here.
I wouldnt waste my time in tesla fan forum. Very biased.
While I agree there will be a bias, definitely worth the time as the car has been analyzed to death over there. That's assuming you want to know everything about a product before buying.
I'll check it out. Is Tesla Motors Club the best forum out there?
I believe so but honestly haven't compared any other sites. Seems to be heavily trafficked and a lot of helpful people, even if a bit biased. Same thing probably could be said about this forum...might be a bias towards indexing but definitely worth spending time here even if you don't want to follow everything 100%.

I don't own a Tesla but will have to replace my car within a year or 2 and I am the type of person that over researches things before a purchase which is why I have spent a decent time on that forum.
5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension »

I joined the Tesla Motor Club forum before I put an order in for my Tesla. There is a wealth of knowledge there. Of course it can be a bit biased, it is a forum for people who have or love Teslas. But I find that there is a good mix of the good, bad and the ugly regarding all things Tesla.
Pick up a penny and soon you'll have many.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

cusetownusa wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:05 pm
cusetownusa wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:12 am

Are you speaking from experience?

OP, I would suggest you make your way over to Tesla Motors Club forum and look through the posts there in the Model Y sub forum. You will have a much easier time finding what you are looking for in regards to the Model Y then you would here.
While I agree there will be a bias, definitely worth the time as the car has been analyzed to death over there. That's assuming you want to know everything about a product before buying.
I believe so but honestly haven't compared any other sites. Seems to be heavily trafficked and a lot of helpful people, even if a bit biased. Same thing probably could be said about this forum...might be a bias towards indexing but definitely worth spending time here even if you don't want to follow everything 100%.

I don't own a Tesla but will have to replace my car within a year or 2 and I am the type of person that over researches things before a purchase which is why I have spent a decent time on that forum.
Hopefully they will be in a better place in terms of build quality by then! :beer
cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa »

RJC wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:01 pm
cusetownusa wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:05 pm

Hopefully they will be in a better place in terms of build quality by then! :beer
For sure...the Ys coming out now seem to be much more consistent then early on but still could be more consistant. Also, by all accounts, the Ys made in China seem to have great fit and finish. So I am hoping that the Ys out of the new Texas factory will be more like the China made Ys versus the Fremont made Ys.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

I have a different question about the Model Y. My daughter lives in Indianapolis and I live in Pittsburgh. She just bought a Model Y and says it will require two charging stops to get from there to here via Interstate 70. It's 375 miles door to door, and she'll probably be driving, honestly, at about 80MPH.

In the real world, how does this work for that specific trip? Where are the charging stations...how far off of I-70 and how long does charging take and how many miles do you get from such a charge? She has two small children, so a few stops are necessary, but long stops complicate things. Is it possible to do this trip with just one stop?
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Leesbro63 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:39 pm I have a different question about the Model Y. My daughter lives in Indianapolis and I live in Pittsburgh. She just bought a Model Y and says it will require two charging stops to get from there to here via Interstate 70. It's 375 miles door to door, and she'll probably be driving, honestly, at about 80MPH.

In the real world, how does this work for that specific trip? Where are the charging stations...how far off of I-70 and how long does charging take and how many miles do you get from such a charge? She has two small children, so a few stops are necessary, but long stops complicate things. Is it possible to do this trip with just one stop?
She can use the “a better route planner” website to plan her trip.

I don’t do that though.

I just get in the car and drive. The built in navigation system will tell her where to stop for charging, and how long she will be there. It gets dynamically updated, so if she’s cutting it close, she will get rerouted. Or get a message to “drive below 70 to get to your destination “ or something like that.

A 30 minute stop at a Tesla supercharger adds a lot of juice. Probably get her up to 70% or something like that.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Leesbro63 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:39 pm I have a different question about the Model Y. My daughter lives in Indianapolis and I live in Pittsburgh. She just bought a Model Y and says it will require two charging stops to get from there to here via Interstate 70. It's 375 miles door to door, and she'll probably be driving, honestly, at about 80MPH.

I would think that a Model Y can do this trip with just one stop, but Tesla's on-board navigation and/or ABRP can figure this out very intelligently. BTW minimizing the number of stops isn't necessarily best - DC fast charging slows down dramatically past about 70-80%, so it's faster to charge twice from 20 to 60 percent, rather than once from 20 to 100 percent.
marc in merrimack

Post by marc in merrimack »

Search “Tesla model y trip planner” and enter the info.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

5th_Dimension wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:35 pm I joined the Tesla Motor Club forum before I put an order in for my Tesla. There is a wealth of knowledge there. Of course it can be a bit biased, it is a forum for people who have or love Teslas. But I find that there is a good mix of the good, bad and the ugly regarding all things Tesla.
Agree with this. If you have a specific question, there is some good support there.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

OneWorld111 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:30 pm We bought model Y it last December..

Really fun to drive
Range is overestimated (10%)
Customer service of Tesla is pretty horrible as they only communicate via app (messages)

In the past we had Lexus, the detail is no way compared to Tesla.

Other than EV fun to drive, I don’t think there is anything special of Tesla.
+1
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

Will do good wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:35 pm
OneWorld111 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:30 pm We bought model Y it last December..

Really fun to drive
Customer service of Tesla is pretty horrible as they only communicate via app (messages)

+1
Fun to drive, less maintenance, and never having to wait at a gas station in the middle of winter are the big bonuses for me.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

RJC wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:44 am

Really fun to drive

+1
Fun to drive, less maintenance, and never having to wait at a gas station in the middle of winter are the big bonuses for me.
No so much fun for our 2400 miles round trip drive, it added more than 4+ hours on each way. Or once we get there we have to drive 15 miles out of the way to charge up the car every other day while we aren't home. But it is a fun drive, just wish our MY has 500 mile range.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

Will do good wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:42 pm

Really fun to drive

+1
No so much fun for our 2400 miles round trip drive, it added more than 4+ hours on each way. Or once we get there we have to drive 15 miles out of the way to charge up the car every other day while we aren't home. But it is a fun drive, just wish our MY has 500 mile range.
Where were you at that you did not have access to electricity? That's really roughing it!
How many days did you travel? Those times just seem a bit high for charging.
We plan our stops near charging to start our day with a full charge. That saves time. Is it a hassle? Eh, no more than filling up with gas before leaving. Then the already other needed stops for food and toilets coincide with charging. I estimate these add 5-20 minutes extra per stop but are very enjoyable. If trip was 1200 miles one way, driven over two days, I bet this might really only add 1-2 hrs per leg, 2-4 hrs to the trip.
I base these assumptions on 300 mi for full charge, if you got a lesser capacity battery fess up, it is your fault.
Pale Blue Dot
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

I drove and was driven in a family member’s model Y Long range for a few days last week. He has had the Y for just over a year and is in the process of selling it because he and his wife don’t like it for a few reasons.

1. The ride is terrible compared to their 12 year old BMW X5. They have the the x5 5.0 with sport suspension and even with the stiffer suspension in the x5, the models Y rides much worse. The Y is not stiffer than the x5, the x5 is actually much stiffer than the Y. But the Y crashes over expansion joints and is much much harsher than the X5. After riding in both and driving both, I definitely agree with this. The difference is night and day.

2. It’s way too loud - even though you don’t hear the engine in the Y, the wind noise is excessive as well as the sound of other cars next to you and things going on outside. Tesla cheaped out on the sound insulation. The Model Y is much louder than you’d expect, and certainly louder than my 3 ICE cars.

3. Interior is sparse and cheaply made - relatives tell me they loved the interior at first but quickly became bored of how plain it is. They found that it wears much faster than any of their other cars despite not treating it any different.

4. Poor ergonomics. They have taken the Y on road trips and find the seats uncomfortable over long distances. They also said that the arm rests in the front are too far apart from each other.

5. Boring to drive and feels like a toy car - the steering wheel is too small and the steering effort is too low so you can essentially turn the wheel with your pinky even in sport mode. The initial turn in is quick and the car responds instantly but it doesn’t feel good doing so and there is too much body roll. I was surprised when they told me that given how many people say the Y is “fun to drive” but when I drove it, I had the same impression. Their X5 felt way more solid and connected to the road and the steering ratio perfectly matched the suspension tuning. The Model Y felt disconnected and more like a video game than a car.

These are people who have owned the Y for over a year and love the idea of an electric car, but they just don’t love the Y. They have not decided on a replacement yet, but it will likely be an ICE car until there are EVs that are better designed and built.
anoop

Post by anoop »

:mrgreen: y
FireSekr wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:14 am I drove and was driven in a family member’s model Y Long range for a few days last week. He has had the Y for just over a year and is in the process of selling it because he and his wife don’t like it for a few reasons.

1. The ride is terrible compared to their 12 year old BMW X5. They have the the x5 5.0 with sport suspension and even with the stiffer suspension in the x5, the models Y rides much worse. The Y is not stiffer than the x5, the x5 is actually much stiffer than the Y. But the Y crashes over expansion joints and is much much harsher than the X5. After riding in both and driving both, I definitely agree with this. The difference is night and day.

2. It’s way too loud - even though you don’t hear the engine in the Y, the wind noise is excessive as well as the sound of other cars next to you and things going on outside. Tesla cheaped out on the sound insulation. The Model Y is much louder than you’d expect, and certainly louder than my 3 ICE cars.

3. Interior is sparse and cheaply made - relatives tell me they loved the interior at first but quickly became bored of how plain it is. They found that it wears much faster than any of their other cars despite not treating it any different.

4. Poor ergonomics. They have taken the Y on road trips and find the seats uncomfortable over long distances. They also said that the arm rests in the front are too far apart from each other.

5. Boring to drive and feels like a toy car - the steering wheel is too small and the steering effort is too low so you can essentially turn the wheel with your pinky even in sport mode. The initial turn in is quick and the car responds instantly but it doesn’t feel good doing so and there is too much body roll. I was surprised when they told me that given how many people say the Y is “fun to drive” but when I drove it, I had the same impression. Their X5 felt way more solid and connected to the road and the steering ratio perfectly matched the suspension tuning. The Model Y felt disconnected and more like a video game than a car.

These are people who have owned the Y for over a year and love the idea of an electric car, but they just don’t love the Y. They have not decided on a replacement yet, but it will likely be an ICE car until there are EVs that are better designed and built.
Did you drive one with the old interior or updated one? IIRC when they updated the interior they also introduced acoustic side glass to help with noise.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

4nursebee wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:13 am

Really fun to drive

+1
Where were you at that you did not have access to electricity? That's really roughing it!
We plan our stops near charging to start our day with a full charge. That saves time. Is it a hassle? Eh, no more than filling up with gas before leaving. Then the already other needed stops for food and toilets coincide with charging. I estimate these add 5-20 minutes extra per stop but are very enjoyable. If trip was 1200 miles one way, driven over two days, I bet this might really only add 1-2 hrs per leg, 2-4 hrs to the trip.
I base these assumptions on 300 mi for full charge, if you got a lesser capacity battery fess up, it is your fault.
I have the long range MY. Not everybody travel in the East or West coast where chargers are plenty, some of our like to visit and see the whole country.

We were at Madison, WI for 5 days and our hotel was 15 minutes from the charging station. There's only 2 charging station near the northern part of the town by the highway, we were closer to the university in the middle of Madison.

When can you charge a full load to 300 mile range in 20 minutes? My last 10% of charge can takes 10-15+ minutes, you must have a much better Tesla than I. Also who drive from 300 miles to near 0 miles? I tend to drive/charge in the 15%-90% range on long trips and that's not a 5-20 minutes charge.

Have you driven thru Southern Illinois to Missouri and Northern Texas? there's are very few charging station between points, my longest charge was 50 minutes, I wouldn't want to be out of power in those areas, maybe you are fine with driving down to 5% in the middle of southern Arkansas? :oops:
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

FireSekr wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:14 am I drove and was driven in a family member’s model Y Long range for a few days last week. He has had the Y for just over a year and is in the process of selling it because he and his wife don’t like it for a few reasons.

I agree, we have our MY for about a year and I found my BMW 535 is a better ride, less road noise and don't need to stop as often for long road trips. We are keeping the MY because my wife like to sit up high and more room for road trip when moving our son to his new job in Austin. I think TESLA is a fun car and hope it will become a better car in the future, just wish the fanboys stop making this car to end all cars.
squirm

Post by squirm »

While I drive an EV myself, the EV purist always exaggerate to try and make points. I always chuckle when they say blatantly stupid things such as they don't like to fill up with gas because it: makes a mess, they're forced to smell gas fumes and it takes 20 minutes. I'm not sure what planet their from, but neither of those things ever happen to me...maybe they just have a hard time figuring out how to work the pump.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I also own and love my Tesla. You’re right though about the EV exaggerators. To them, there are no downsides or inconveniences at all. It’s tough to take a group like that seriously.

One interesting anti-gas argument I have heard, which I think has merit, is from women. Many of them say they just don’t feel safe at gas stations and for that reason prefer an EV and home charging. As a man, something like that has never occurred to me, but it makes sense to me now.
fastrak99

Post by fastrak99 »

As per my earlier review after an hour test drive - I was able to pick up on all of this and agree with all these points spot on.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

anoop wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:44 am :mrgreen: y

Did you drive one with the old interior or updated one? IIRC when they updated the interior they also introduced acoustic side glass to help with noise.
I don’t know. It’s a 2020 model year. Did that have the updated interior?
squirm

Post by squirm »

Normchad wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:24 pm I also own and love my Tesla. You’re right though about the EV exaggerators. To them, there are no downsides or inconveniences at all. It’s tough to take a group like that seriously.

One interesting anti-gas argument I have heard, which I think has merit, is from women. Many of them say they just don’t feel safe at gas stations and for that reason prefer an EV and home charging. As a man, something like that has never occurred to me, but it makes sense to me now.
Yes, no doubt about that counter argument. My wife always feels much more secure when we road trip together.
On the other hand, if my wife was on a road trip alone in the EV, I'm not sure if I want her waiting around in the middle of Walmart parking lots for the car to charge. I have her take the gas car.

I hope EV's do well in the end, there's a place for them.
Last edited by squirm on Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

This is a great description of my experience as well, particularly in terms of the terrible ride, which isn't just a function of stiffness. Someone on another thread tried to explain that the added weight makes it harder to maintain ride quality, without more advanced and expensive suspension systems that Tesla hasn't bothered with. My car is also stiffer than a Y, but is much more comfortable.
anoop

Post by anoop »

FireSekr wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:43 pm
anoop wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:44 am :mrgreen: y

I don’t know. It’s a 2020 model year. Did that have the updated interior?
They started updating it around March of this year, so probably not. Probably the most noticeable difference is the older one had lots of glossy piano black trim and didn't have built in wireless charges in the area below the center display.

The old and new ones can be seen here. The old one is the last image.
https://electrek.co/2021/02/13/tesla-in ... ctric-suv/
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

I appreciate the balanced feedback on this thread. There's definitely pros and cons to the Model Y.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

Will do good wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:20 am
4nursebee wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:13 am

+1
I have the long range MY. Not everybody travel in the East or West coast where chargers are plenty, some of our like to visit and see the whole country.

We were at Madison, WI for 5 days and our hotel was 15 minutes from the charging station. There's only 2 charging station near the northern part of the town by the highway, we were closer to the university in the middle of Madison.

When can you charge a full load to 300 mile range in 20 minutes? My last 10% of charge can takes 10-15+ minutes, you must have a much better Tesla than I. Also who drive from 300 miles to near 0 miles? I tend to drive/charge in the 15%-90% range on long trips and that's not a 5-20 minutes charge.

Have you driven thru Southern Illinois to Missouri and Northern Texas? there's are very few charging station between points, my longest charge was 50 minutes, I wouldn't want to be out of power in those areas, maybe you are fine with driving down to 5% in the middle of southern Arkansas? :oops:
Plugshare offers many options in Madison, some are even at hotels. https://www.plugshare.com/?area=31540. They tend to be slower, but quite adequate to wake up with full battery. Sometimes I just stay near the TSLA chargers and go out for early am coffee and charge. I imagine some folks do this for petrol too, not that unique. If not a morning person one can do this in the evening, even enjoy some quiet time.

The 20 minutes mentioned was for time above and beyond a normal stop for things like gas, food, toilet. So normal stop times plus 20 min. Adding four hours to a trip is quite realistic if insistent on charging somewhere other than toilets, food, and general stretching. We couple those things together for efficiency. One does not need to, we just choose to. We also don't really push for 100% charge other than overnight when travelling.

I am not familiar with those areas.

We adapted and changed our driving habits based upon the aspects of the car. This includes staying at different hotels that offer charging and/or plugging an electric cord into a wall outlet!

We did not buy the car until charging was available at points we intended to travel.
Pale Blue Dot