out of town, purse stolen, starting new in NYC

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
ilovedogs

out of town, purse stolen, starting new in NYC

Post by ilovedogs »

I was visiting Washington, DC when I became a victim of crime recently, with my car, phone, id, credit cards, keys, everything stolen, and got free of the crime wearing the same clothes for weeks. Someone changed my password and address at Vanguard. I'm single and my siblings and parents are dead. I think I am going to solve this myself. I'm looking for ideas.

I ran into an unexpected problem ; two factor authentication and not having my phone. No financial page likes me using library devices. Western Union wants id. Does it make sense to visit Vanguard in Malvern?

Tomorrow I am taking $17.50 to DMV in a money order to get a replacement drivers license. I'm starting fresh in NYC where I own property but someone else is living in it.

Does anyone know how to change the phone number for two factor at gmail? I can't get into my main email account and don't have the phone.

I have tons more questions! Anyone else been through this? All advice appreciated. Thanks. Kate
gwe67

Re: out of town, purse stolen, starting new in NYC

Post by gwe67 »

You can call Vanguard and say that you are reporting a death. They will lock the accounts.
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Sorry this happened.
You won’t be able to change the phone number for 2 factor over email. You can go your provider and get a new SIM card for the same phone number for your new phone. Or call vanguard, maybe they can verify your identity over the phone. The fact your pw is changed us very worrisome, call them ASAP
Last edited by mhalley on Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

ilovedogs wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:47 pm I was visiting Washington, DC when I became a victim of crime recently, with my car, phone, id, credit cards, keys, everything stolen, and got free of the crime wearing the same clothes for weeks. Someone changed my password and address at Vanguard. I'm single and my siblings and parents are dead. I think I am going to solve this myself. I'm looking for ideas.

I ran into an unexpected problem ; two factor authentication and not having my phone. No financial page likes me using library devices. Western Union wants id. Does it make sense to visit Vanguard in Malvern?

Tomorrow I am taking $17.50 to DMV in a money order to get a replacement drivers license. I'm starting fresh in NYC where I own property but someone else is living in it.

Does anyone know how to change the phone number for two factor at gmail? I can't get into my main email account and don't have the phone.

I have tons more questions! Anyone else been through this? All advice appreciated. Thanks. Kate
Assuming your two-factor was based on text message and not an authenticator app, if you can get a replacement phone with the same number, you should be OK.

Gmail is more difficult. They did offer you an option to print out one-time use codes, but unless you did that and saved them, you're not in good shape. Sometimes if you remember an older password, you can reset your current one. Otherwise, unless you paid for Gmail, you're probably screwed there.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

ilovedogs wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:47 pm I was visiting Washington, DC when I became a victim of crime recently, with my car, phone, id, credit cards, keys, everything stolen, and got free of the crime wearing the same clothes for weeks. Someone changed my password and address at Vanguard. I'm single and my siblings and parents are dead. I think I am going to solve this myself. I'm looking for ideas.

How did it come to pass that "someone changed" your password and address at Vanguard and that you can't get into your main email account? Is that somehow connected to this crime in Washington DC?

Unfortunately, you are going to find it very, very complicated to get access restored if you don't have your phone, can't access your email and your address and password were changed at Vanguard. Have you called Vanguard to explain the issues and find out what they suggest you do?
leeks

Post by leeks »

Did you not have a home before this crime? Why does this mean you had to move to a new city?

I am very surprised that a stolen car/purse also means identity theft/fraud at Vanguard. Would the thief have found a Vanguard password on your phone? Was there some Vanguard paperwork in your purse (like a mailed statement)?

What did Vanguard say when you called them about the identity theft? Were they unwilling to lock down your accounts until everything is sorted?

Can you get the police to include the identity theft/brokerage fraud in the police report about the car theft if they are indeed related? A police report should be enough for a bank or brokerage to temporarily lock accounts.
Freetime76

Post by Freetime76 »

If you didn’t already, reporting the crime will mean you aren’t liable for any identity theft. Also, the previous place of your ID (was it a DC driver’s license?) may have a way to reprint your license for you, if you let them know it was stolen or lost - you know your personal info, and that may be all they ask for (after all, you are you, so the photo will match your face). I’d start there, with the old location DMV and try to get someone on the phone. It may take a few tries, but if they reissue it, life gets easier.

- Gmail really sinks in this situation - did you have a backup email account? That may work. I have a Gmail that is defunct (forever, or until they change policy) because I changed cell phones and it has no means of recovery - not good. Lesson learned on my part.

- ID is the big one - you need something as a photo ID (drivers license or just a state ID). Can you find your birth certificate or are you saying you have no possessions anywhere anymore?

- Did you have car insurance? They may be able to help with recovery and damages (I.e.money).

What are your other questions?
(FYI, my DH used to be off the grid, so to speak, and I can’t tell if this is you :wink: or if you just lost your identification...)
Please spell out new acronyms. Thank you.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

This is what I would do:
1) Contact Vanguard and tell them what happened. You do not want to become a further victim of crime.
2) Do you have other financial accounts that the criminal may now have information about? If so, at minimum, call. When this happened to a relative, they were able to add a secret word to the accounts at a couple of institutions. I might even consider closing accounts and moving the funds to a different bank that the criminal is not going to know about.
3) You mention using a library computer. This does not seem like a good idea. Did you get a new cell phone with a new number? If so, why are you not using it instead of the library computer?
4) Have you visited identifytheft.gov? Lots of useful information.
5) Does your situation lend itself to you to seeking help from an organization? Domestic violence? Crime victims?
6) Good thing is that you are not the first person to need to rebuild one step at a time. You are in the same position as my family was when a house fire took all the material possessions, IDs, etc. So, there are ways to get your life back. It is not like having your Bitcoin stolen.

I am sorry you are going through this. Just take it one step at a time.