Has anyone sold car to Carvana ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
unclescrooge

Re: Has anyone sold car to Carvana ?

Post by unclescrooge »

I had a good experience. It was so easy, I can't imagine buying from a car dealership again.

They also paid 50% more than what I thought my car was worth pre-pandemic.

After 10 days, I was getting my windows tinted and the installer pointed out the windshield had a big crack. It was in the black factory-tinted portion around the rear view mirror so it wasn't visible unless you were actually looking at that spot from close up.

I called them up and while they don't address cosmetic issues after 7 days, they replaced the windshield at no cost to me.
Strummer

Post by Strummer »

I just sold an ancient, high-mileage Prius via Kelley Blue Book's "Instant Cash Price" service. Carvana had no interest in it (well, offered $100, IIRC) and KBB's estimate was about $1,500. Along with the estimate, they provide you with a list of nearby dealers who participate in the program to complete the transaction. That much is simple — the only complication is that the dealer is likely to push for a lower price, so you get to enjoy the lovely experience of negotiating with a dealer over the price (shudder), which has never been a pleasant experience in my book.

Carmax was the only other service that's been mentioned in this thread that expressed any interest in the car, so that's another option for people looking to sell older/high mileage vehicles.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

I got a quote from them and it was a decent price. Used it as leverage at the dealer. Dealer matched it so I used it to offset the tax burden.

Bought the car
Traded a car in
took full value of car as 0% loan
Left with a 30k check.

I'd sell to Carvana in a heartbeat. Same with Carmax and Vroom.
motiv8ed

Post by motiv8ed »

Somethingwitty92912 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:27 am a lot of foreign investment is swooping in, and buying up the ENTIRE us used car market I am unsure why.
The "why" with respect to foreign "investment" in the American used car trade is, in part, due to drug dealers and terrorists. DEA says:
Lebanese Hezbollah is using money laundering and the drug trade — and dabbling heavily in used cars — to raise revenue for their own nefarious operations and benefit their Iran regime benefactors, a leading Drug Enforcement Administration official said today.

John Fernandez, the DEA’s assistant special agent in charge of the Special Operations Division’s Counter-Narcoterrorism Operations Center, told a forum at The Washington Institute for Near East Policy in D.C. that when it comes to connections on the criminal side of terrorist organizations, the ideologies of criminal partners cease to matter — whether Hezbollah teams up with Colombian cartels or Shia drugs are funneled to Saudi nightclubs.

“When it comes to the bottom line, it doesn’t matter about sectarian differences,” he said.

And though Iran infamously supports Hezbollah, the lucrative proceeds from the group’s underworld dealings allow a reciprocal relationship. “We have seen indications of Hezbollah criminal activity also benefiting their Iranian masters,” Fernandez said.
And...
When the Treasury Department blocked American financial institutions from conducting business with Lebanese Canadian Bank in 2011, for example, officials alleged that revenue from European and Latin American drug sales was wired by the bank to used car dealers in the United States, who shipped the cars to West Africa where they were sold; the proceeds came back to Hezbollah.

02nz

Post by 02nz »

tomd37 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:33 pm I have a question for all of you who sold your vehicle recently to Carvana. Were you buying another new car now to replace the one sold to Carvana and did you have any concerns about the availability of your replacement (due to semiconductor shortages)? I am thinking about replacing my wife's car with a new model, but am concerned the new model might not be available due to semiconductor shortages. Current predictions are the problem may be resolved by the end of the year.
I already had a replacement vehicle purchased, but when you get a quote, there's no commitment. IIRC the quote is good for at least a week, in my case longer because they had to buy my lease out*. So you have some time to decide. If you go this route, also get a quote from Vroom, which is similar. I sold a vehicle to Vroom last year and another to Carvana this year, in each case I got quotes from both and took the higher offer (which was higher by a couple thousand dollars).

* Note that a lot of automakers' finance companies are making this impossible, so you'd have to buy out yourself and pay sales tax, reducing the potential profit.
Somethingwitty92912

Post by Somethingwitty92912 »

motiv8ed wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:27 pm
Somethingwitty92912 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:27 am a lot of foreign investment is swooping in, and buying up the ENTIRE us used car market I am unsure why.
The "why" with respect to foreign "investment" in the American used car trade is, in part, due to drug dealers and terrorists. DEA says:
Lebanese Hezbollah is using money laundering and the drug trade — and dabbling heavily in used cars — to raise revenue for their own nefarious operations and benefit their Iran regime benefactors, a leading Drug Enforcement Administration official said today.

John Fernandez, the DEA’s assistant special agent in charge of the Special Operations Division’s Counter-Narcoterrorism Operations Center, told a forum at The Washington Institute for Near East Policy in D.C. that when it comes to connections on the criminal side of terrorist organizations, the ideologies of criminal partners cease to matter — whether Hezbollah teams up with Colombian cartels or Shia drugs are funneled to Saudi nightclubs.

“When it comes to the bottom line, it doesn’t matter about sectarian differences,” he said.

And though Iran infamously supports Hezbollah, the lucrative proceeds from the group’s underworld dealings allow a reciprocal relationship. “We have seen indications of Hezbollah criminal activity also benefiting their Iranian masters,” Fernandez said.
And...
When the Treasury Department blocked American financial institutions from conducting business with Lebanese Canadian Bank in 2011, for example, officials alleged that revenue from European and Latin American drug sales was wired by the bank to used car dealers in the United States, who shipped the cars to West Africa where they were sold; the proceeds came back to Hezbollah.

Wow thanks for the information! Keeping my used car eff them guys.