Cheap Places for Lumber

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
blastoff

Re: Cheap Places for Lumber

Post by blastoff »

Axe and saw :)
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

deleted
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

Alaskan chain saw mill.

Seriously though I have scored some beautiful logs from arborists working on the block. Mill them on the bandsaw and let them dry for 2 years (no kiln).
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

angelescrest wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:32 pm This has to be a trolling post.
Perhaps the OP thought that all of the 'big box' stores had colluded to suddenly and dramatically increase the price of lumber but that the 'mom and pop' stores hadn't participated.

Regardless, there was a very big misunderstanding as to why lumber prices have increased.
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
bmelikia

Post by bmelikia »

I actually have some skin in the game on this discussion.

I'm the lead estimator for a Rough Carpentry subcontractor in California. We do public (Ex: new classroom buildings, new school campuses, police/fire stations, etc.) and private projects (fast food, medical offices, various retail).

The biggest increase in the lumber market has been to sheathing (CDX plywood and OSB).

I purchased 735k worth of various sheathing on 4/1/21 - today that plywood is worth over $1 million.

The crazy thing is that Home Depot actually has VERY reasonable CDX/OSB pricing - even more competitive than most of my lumber suppliers. The reason we don't buy from them is I'm not able to specify a shipment date. Example: If I want to have plywood arrive at a jobsite in Stockton on 7/7/21 - they can't accommodate me. It's more of an "it ships when it ships" kind of deal with Home Depot - at least, that's how it was explained to me when I spoke with their ProDesk about the possibility of purchasing plywood through them.

Our best guess is that we don't anticipate lumber pricing to soften up until September/October (if we're lucky) - and truthfully, no one in the industry - if they're being honest with themselves - really knows what to expect

So - if you have the money and want to build, then go for it. If you don't have the money - then don't. . .but there are no free lunches in the lumber industry
"I would rather die with money, than live without it...." - Bogleheads member Ron | | "The greatest enemy of a good plan, is the dream of a perfect plan." | -Bogle
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

"Lumber prices dive more than 40% in June, biggest monthly drop on record"

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/30/lumber- ... ecord.html

Well, looks like the shortage is reversing. I would still wait a few months to start any major home improvement project, to give some time for consumer prices to fall.
bmelikia

Post by bmelikia »

hi_there wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:02 am "Lumber prices dive more than 40% in June, biggest monthly drop on record"

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/30/lumber- ... ecord.html

Well, looks like the shortage is reversing. I would still wait a few months to start any major home improvement project, to give some time for consumer prices to fall.
Yea - there has been NO CHANGE in OSB/CDX plywood sheathing pricing.

DF#2 GRN lumber has come down about 15% from the peak

DF#1 DRY lumber has come down about 25-30% from the peak
"I would rather die with money, than live without it...." - Bogleheads member Ron | | "The greatest enemy of a good plan, is the dream of a perfect plan." | -Bogle
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

A regular on an Outer Banks NC forum posted a pic of his receipt recently. The store is on the mainland on the Pungo River about 50? miles west of Cape Hatteras. Small town pricing and unfortunately he needed it. It's a nice town, we've stopped there on the way to Swanquarter to catch the 2 hr 45 min ferry ride to Ocracoke Island.

bmelikia

Post by bmelikia »

andypanda wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:08 pm A regular on an Outer Banks NC forum posted a pic of his receipt recently. The store is on the mainland on the Pungo River about 50? miles west of Cape Hatteras. Small town pricing and unfortunately he needed it. It's a nice town, we've stopped there on the way to Swanquarter to catch the 2 hr 45 min ferry ride to Ocracoke Island.

That's not "small town" pricing. . .$80-$90 is the going rate for (1) sheet of 1/2" CDX plywood right now
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

In my area, I prefer 84 Lumber over Lowes, Home Depot, or Menards. They have lower prices and the quality is usually better. Also, it's handier than Home Depot or Lowes for someone picking up lumber at the store. You don't have to go into the store and move lumber from the shelf to a cart, and then take it outside. (I like to pick the lumber out myself.) At 84 Lumber you can move lumber directly from a pile in the yard to your vehicle, and they actually help you pick it out and load it without being prodded.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Still waiting for my new fence to be installed. I have checked other companies and they are bemoaning the lack of materials as well. At this time, the shortage, for whatever reason, is legit.

We started this dance in February, agreed to revised bid in May, as we weren't ready earlier, our fault. Price was increased some, but not outrageously. We have had the permit for three weeks now.

Salesman told us no survey needed, but found out one was required. The company ate that expense. They at least gave us a copy so I now have a new survey.

I tell DW to look at the positive, our new fence will look new even longer than if it had been installed already. She was not amused.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Ring the bell, crank the klaxon: Retail lumber prices are dropping!!! I have evidence.

This last year, when I go to Home Depot, I cruise by and check two items: 1) 6x6 pressure treated timber, 2) 5/8" engineered underlayment, 4x8

I watched the underlayment go from about $20 all the way to $83. The timber went from about $30 to $70.

In the last week the underlayment dropped from $83 to $81. The timber is down $2 to $68.

Hey, it is progress. Signs of the commodity market finally trickling through to retail.

PS: I know that place in Bellhaven, NC well. Nice place, but even though it is small town, they draw regionally and are the only game around.
Topic Author
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

OP here the highest LBS future price close I see recorded was 1670.5, it's at $612 at the time of this post, which is around a 63% drop from the high.

I'm tracking prices at the local HD, for those interested.

2X4-84" PRIME KD WHITEWOOD STUD
May 2021: $7.92
July 2021: $5.13 (=~ 35% less, I think it was a little north of $2.80 pre-pandemic)

2x6-10FT #2PRIME PT CDR-TN WHRSHL (pressure treated, cedar toned)
May 2021: $18.27
July 2021: $11.57 (=~ 36% less)

I didn't take pics of OSB/Plywood on the first May trip that shocked me, but I don't think these dropped any, or minimally if so. I'll put the current July prices I saw yesterday, which are still ridiculously high, maybe still a mill backlog here.

1/2 4X8 OSB
July 2021: $47.15

15/32 4x8 RTD Plywood (4-PLY)
July 2021: 50.65

I'll try to post back in a few months with updated pricing, as the futures drop works it's way into the supply chain.
Last edited by Kagord on Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Kagord wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:39 am OP here the highest LBS future price close I see recorded was 1670.5, it's at $612 at the time of this post, which is around a 63% drop from the high.

I'm tracking prices at the local HD, for those interested.

2X4-84" PRIME KD WHITEWOOD STUD
May 2021: $7.92
July 2021: $5.13 (=~ 35% less, I think it was a little north of $2.80 pre-pandemic)

2x6-10FT #2PRIME PT CDR-TN WHRSHL (pressure treated, cedar toned)
May 2021: $18.27
July 2021: $11.57 (=~ 36% less)

I didn't take pics of OSB/Plywood on the first may trip shocker, but I don't think it dropped any, or minimally if so. I'll put the current July prices I saw yesterday, which are still ridiculously high, maybe still a mill backlog here.

1/2 4X8 OSB
July 2021: $47.15

15/32 4x8 RTD Plywood (4-PLY)
July 2021: 50.65

I'll try to post back in a few months with updated pricing, as the futures drop works it's way into the supply chain.
This is great info.

Thank you very much for posting it.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

At what looks to be comparable price points, I would start using steel, and probably need less of it.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
aerofreaky11

Post by aerofreaky11 »

Steel is rising as well. Just bought 2300# of steel siding and if I waited to order in August, up 5 percent.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Tubes wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:01 am Ring the bell, crank the klaxon: Retail lumber prices are dropping!!! I have evidence.

This last year, when I go to Home Depot, I cruise by and check two items: 1) 6x6 pressure treated timber, 2) 5/8" engineered underlayment, 4x8

I watched the underlayment go from about $20 all the way to $83. The timber went from about $30 to $70.

In the last week the underlayment dropped from $83 to $81. The timber is down $2 to $68.

Hey, it is progress. Signs of the commodity market finally trickling through to retail.

PS: I know that place in Bellhaven, NC well. Nice place, but even though it is small town, they draw regionally and are the only game around.
At my local Home Depot, the 6x6x12 timber just cratered to $43. From $68 to $43 in 3 weeks. Wow! Underlayment prices are unchanged. Word is the glue is still in short supply making the sheet lumber stickier.

I've been putting off a small outdoor wood building project. Time to think about starting it up.
JoeJohnson

Post by JoeJohnson »

Tubes wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:23 am
Tubes wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:01 am Ring the bell, crank the klaxon: Retail lumber prices are dropping!!! I have evidence.

At my local Home Depot, the 6x6x12 timber just cratered to $43. From $68 to $43 in 3 weeks. Wow! Underlayment prices are unchanged. Word is the glue is still in short supply making the sheet lumber stickier.

I've been putting off a small outdoor wood building project. Time to think about starting it up.
1/2" OSB 4' x 8' dropped from $47 to $40 today in my locale

15% reduction!