Still waiting on amended federal tax return processing, anybody have stories of long waits?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
docL

Still waiting on amended federal tax return processing, anybody have stories of long waits?

Post by docL »

We had to file an amended 2019 return in April of 2020 because accountant made a minor error. No big deal. State refund hit account in about 8-10 weeks. 15 months later and I am still waiting on a federal refund. In roughly January I called IRS help line for amended returns and they told me they were still delayed but I should expect it to process in about another 12-16 weeks. 6 months after that phone call and it still hasn't processed. Do I have any hope of them getting around to it this year? Anybody ever deal with something similar?

In the future I am just going to take all federal refunds and apply them to future returns to lessen estimated taxes owed and just keep the money I would otherwise send them.
jebmke

Re: Still waiting on amended federal tax return processing, anybody have stories of long waits?

Post by jebmke »

There are several open threads on this very topic. Last info I saw in the press indicated that the IRS still had approximately 35 million unprocessed returns. I don't know if that included amendments or not.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
coachd50

Re: Still waiting on amended federal tax return processing, anybody have stories of long waits?

Post by coachd50 »

I E-filed my return in March using the HR block home software. Got return relatively quickly. A few days later (but still prior to April 15 to give time reference) I realized I didn't include a 1099. Used HR Block software to Amend return and pay a small amount. HR gave submission code. When I check on IRS site it says return received. They have yet to withdraw the funds.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Have you checked the status of your return at IRS.gov under “Where is My Amended Return”?

My paper 2019 amended return took ~15 months from mailing date (early May 2020) to acceptance date (late June 2021).

Edit - some the responses regarding amended returns filed after mid-2020 do not indicate whether the return was e-filed or paper filed (like yours). Paper returns may take longer to process than e-filings as they need to be manually input by the IRS staff.
Last edited by HomeStretch on Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

I'm waiting on a refund from our original 2019 return, filed in May 2020.

Also still waiting on 2020 refund.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
anonsdca

Post by anonsdca »

I just received my 2019 refund today--as a matter of fact, so I thought I would add to this thread.

It came in the form of a check, which was weird, because all others (for the last decade) have been direct deposit to my bank.

Originally when I filed, I got my state very quick, but the IRS website said there was an issue with my return. They didn't say what the issue was ---and I checked back for several months and no other info was provided. I finally gave up and just forgot about it until now.

Glad to have it close the book tho.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

docL wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:22 pm We had to file an amended 2019 return in April of 2020 because accountant made a minor error. No big deal. State refund hit account in about 8-10 weeks. 15 months later and I am still waiting on a federal refund. In roughly January I called IRS help line for amended returns and they told me they were still delayed but I should expect it to process in about another 12-16 weeks. 6 months after that phone call and it still hasn't processed. Do I have any hope of them getting around to it this year? Anybody ever deal with something similar?

In the future I am just going to take all federal refunds and apply them to future returns to lessen estimated taxes owed and just keep the money I would otherwise send them.
No, never.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

I received a refund in fairly short order on a 2020 Federal amended return, so I'm good.

Different story with a California amended 2020 return. It's taking forever and a day for them to act on my amended 2020 return.
The only person you have to please in life is yourself.
carolc

Post by carolc »

I filed an amended 2020 return in April 2021. Still waiting for the refund but they are ‘processing’ it. At least I’m in the system.

carolc
runwyrlph

Post by runwyrlph »

Me too. Filed in March, then filed amended return in March. IRS "where's my return" site says they received my amended return, but that's it. The 16 weeks they said it may take have passed.
coachd50

Post by coachd50 »

runwyrlph wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:28 pm Me too. Filed in March, then filed amended return in March. IRS "where's my return" site says they received my amended return, but that's it. The 16 weeks they said it may take have passed.
Did you get your refund (or have your payment withdrawn) with your initial return?
ASpenderInRecovery

Post by ASpenderInRecovery »

docL wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:22 pm We had to file an amended 2019 return in April of 2020 because accountant made a minor error. No big deal. State refund hit account in about 8-10 weeks. 15 months later and I am still waiting on a federal refund. In roughly January I called IRS help line for amended returns and they told me they were still delayed but I should expect it to process in about another 12-16 weeks. 6 months after that phone call and it still hasn't processed. Do I have any hope of them getting around to it this year? Anybody ever deal with something similar?

I can absolutely relate. Received some great advice here on amending my past returns after abandoning a public service loan forgiveness program and opting to file MFJ moving forward. I submitted amended 2016, 2017, and 2018 returns in February 2020. The 2017 and 2018 refunds were randomly issued in late August 2020. For whatever reason, the 2016 amended return has never shown as received in the 'Where's My Amended Return?' IRS tracker. In Feb of this year we finally received a letter from the IRS stating the 2016 return had been received, approved, and we should expect the check in 2 weeks. I spoke to the IRS last week and the rep stated "It's close to being done processing and the next step would be to receive a check in the mail". So 16 months later I'm certainly not holding my breath, but definitely looking forward to the day it finally arrives!

A thread I posted on the subject awhile back
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=293500&p=5421999#p5421999
runwyrlph

Post by runwyrlph »

coachd50 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:33 pm
runwyrlph wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:28 pm Me too. Filed in March, then filed amended return in March. IRS "where's my return" site says they received my amended return, but that's it. The 16 weeks they said it may take have passed.
Did you get your refund (or have your payment withdrawn) with your initial return?
Yes, in my case, I filed, got my refund quickly, realized I needed to amend, filed amended return. ( Expecting additional refund).
coachd50

Post by coachd50 »

runwyrlph wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:18 pm
Yes, in my case, I filed, got my refund quickly, realized I needed to amend, filed amended return. ( Expecting additional refund).
Same situation here, except my amended return meant the refund I had already received should have been a little less, so I had to pay a little bit. The IRS still hasn't taken that $$ yet though.
lkar

Post by lkar »

Does anyone have any experience with whether filing an amended return will substantially delay the refund you were expecting before amendment?

My situation:

Filed in March, asked for refund instead of applying to 2021 so that I could buy I bonds with some of the refund.
Amended in April, for stupidly neglecting to include HSA contribution on my return, leading to larger refund.
Amended in May after receiving corrected 1099 from Etrade for Roth conversion, leading to additional income and tax. Paid additional tax.

I'm guessing that my amendment will screw up the I bond purchase, which I'm bummed about but whatever. But I am still due a substantial refund from the original return and I guess I'm a bit concerned that if they hold the refund until both amended returns are processed it could be into next year.
AD3

Post by AD3 »

In a similar situation, I made a computing error on my tax return and made amendments in late February 2021 for 2019 tax year. The state of California sent me a refund in late June. The IRS site for where is my amended return says that they received my return but it hasn't been processed. The site says to call them, has anyone had any success on calling them?
runwyrlph

Post by runwyrlph »

UPDATE: I checked the Where's My Amended Return site again last night. Message has changed. Previously there was a status bar showing the date the return was received.

Now text says "Your amended return has been received, but has not been processed, please call 1800 number ... you will need to have a copy of return."

Tried calling, but there is only a robot message with the same info and "push 1 for a representative" with too high of a call volume to answer...
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

runwyrlph wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:02 am
UPDATE: I checked the Where's My Amended Return site again last night. Message has changed. Previously there was a status bar showing the date the return was received.

Now text says "Your amended return has been received, but has not been processed, please call 1800 number ... you will need to have a copy of return."

Tried calling, but there is only a robot message with the same info and "push 1 for a representative" with too high of a call volume to answer...
In my experience, the change in message means nothing, other than the fact that X weeks have passed since the return was received. If you call, you will be told that there is a backlog and you will just need to wait.

There is a tiny chance that a phone call could straighten out some detail that is holding up the return.

By the way, the 16 weeks time frame for an amended return was the pre-Covid time frame given. Despite the tens of millions returns that are waiting for months for processing, the messages have not been changed.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

anonsdca wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:52 pm I just received my 2019 refund today--as a matter of fact, so I thought I would add to this thread.

It came in the form of a check, which was weird, because all others (for the last decade) have been direct deposit to my bank.

Originally when I filed, I got my state very quick, but the IRS website said there was an issue with my return. They didn't say what the issue was ---and I checked back for several months and no other info was provided. I finally gave up and just forgot about it until now.

Glad to have it close the book tho.
Were your previous filings amendments? Per the IRS site, direct deposit is not offered for amended returns filed via 1040-x.

Is direct deposit available for electronically filed Form 1040-X?
Direct deposits are not allowed at this time for Amended Returns.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/amended-retu ... -questions
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

anonsdca wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:52 pm I just received my 2019 refund today--as a matter of fact, so I thought I would add to this thread.

Amended returns have historically ALWAYS resulted in a mailed check, not direct deposit, at least for IRS Federal. (At least some states allow it, but not the IRS.) If you look at the 1040-X form, there is not even a place to provide direct deposit info anywhere on the form.

Given the slowness of processing amended returns (even in normal non-Pandemic years, it is 12 to 16 weeks), this practice makes reasonable sense, because long delays between filing and issuing the refund increase the odds that the taxpayer's bank account info has changed in the intervening time.

The IRS explicitly states: "Direct deposits are not allowed at this time for Amended Returns."
Last edited by dodecahedron on Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chw

Post by chw »

I filed an amended 2019 return in April last year as well. By September with no response, I saw I could electronically file the amendment which I did. I received the additional refund about 30 days later.
runwyrlph

Post by runwyrlph »

Katietsu wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:44 am

In my experience, the change in message means nothing, other than the fact that X weeks have passed since the return was received. If you call, you will be told that there is a backlog and you will just need to wait.

There is a tiny chance that a phone call could straighten out some detail that is holding up the return.

By the way, the 16 weeks time frame for an amended return was the pre-Covid time frame given. Despite the tens of millions returns that are waiting for months for processing, the messages have not been changed.
That's good to know. I guess I'm now seeing the "X > 16" message. It kind of worried me that there was some other problem going on.
MrsBDG

Post by MrsBDG »

Filed a paper return for a deceased person spring 2020, they sent it back in November asking for new details. I sent it back in November 2020, got the refund check in May 2021.
MrsBDG

Post by MrsBDG »

duplicate
Last edited by MrsBDG on Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"I just received my 2019 refund today"

There's hope then. My brother-in-law died the end of January, 2020. My wife opened probate and filed his 2019 taxes. She shipped his car to to Pittsburgh in June.

Time passes. Life goes on. She filed his 2020 taxes and has the estate ready to close as soon as the final checks clear. She sent two checks to Pittsburgh and one to Spain on Monday. The 2020 refund of $40 came last week.

Still no sign of the $91 refund for 2019.
anonsdca

Post by anonsdca »

dodecahedron wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:08 pm

Amended returns have historically ALWAYS resulted in a mailed check, not direct deposit, at least for IRS Federal. (At least some states allow it, but not the IRS.) If you look at the 1040-X form, there is not even a place to provide direct deposit info anywhere on the form.

Given the slowness of processing amended returns (even in normal non-Pandemic years, it is 12 to 16 weeks), this practice makes reasonable sense, because long delays between filing and issuing the refund increase the odds that the taxpayer's bank account info has changed in the intervening time.

The IRS explicitly states: "Direct deposits are not allowed at this time for Amended Returns."
Good to know, but mine weren't amended returns. Just my original return.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

anonsdca wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:03 am
dodecahedron wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:08 pm

Good to know, but mine weren't amended returns. Just my original return.
Ah, okay, since the subject header of this thread was specifically amended return delays, I mistakenly thought we were still discussing them.

The IRS occasionally issues checks instead of the requested direct deposits on original returns for inscrutable reasons and/or banking glitches.