Cashiers Check?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rich126

Cashiers Check?

Post by rich126 »

I'm shipping a car across country. My goal was to get the car at the destination prior to starting a new job so I can avoid the hassles of renting a car. I found a highly rated company to pick up my car later this week but their delivery window is almost any time next week. I don't plan to be in town until midweek at the earliest (my furniture/stuff won't be arriving for a few weeks so living in an empty apartment is something I'm trying to minimize).

I have family living in the area so they can deliver the car to them but they expect final payment at time of delivery. Unfortunately they want payment either as cash, money order, or cashiers check. I'm thinking my best option is to get a cashiers check and then fedex it to my family member and once they check out the car, they can give it to the company and get a receipt.

Any better suggestions? I had to put 20% down prior to pickup but at least in that case they accept credit cards.
ResearchMed

Re: Cashiers Check?

Post by ResearchMed »

Do they happen to offer temporary storage for an additional fee?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
desconhecido

Post by desconhecido »

If possible, I'd prefer to do ACH transfer. If there's time and it wouldn't be too hard for your relatives to get cash or acceptable check.

Shipping cars is a strange business. Relative shipped a car from Austin, TX to Ridgefield, CT. Truck driver called from someplace in the east and said he needed more money to make the delivery or it would take a bunch longer. Extra payment wasn't made and they got the car without too much delay. Apparently, these sorts of business practices are not uncommon.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I would send the relative an electronic transfer of money in a form of their choice and let them obtain cash to pay the car hauler. I think mailing anything that is time sensitive via the US Mail these days is a big ask.
hudson

Post by hudson »

rich126 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:24 pm I'm shipping a car across country. My goal was to get the car at the destination prior to starting a new job so I can avoid the hassles of renting a car. I found a highly rated company to pick up my car later this week but their delivery window is almost any time next week. I don't plan to be in town until midweek at the earliest (my furniture/stuff won't be arriving for a few weeks so living in an empty apartment is something I'm trying to minimize).

I have family living in the area so they can deliver the car to them but they expect final payment at time of delivery. Unfortunately they want payment either as cash, money order, or cashiers check. I'm thinking my best option is to get a cashiers check and then fedex it to my family member and once they check out the car, they can give it to the company and get a receipt.

Any better suggestions? I had to put 20% down prior to pickup but at least in that case they accept credit cards.
I vote cashiers check and fedex
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

hudson wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:43 pm
rich126 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:24 pm I'm shipping a car across country. My goal was to get the car at the destination prior to starting a new job so I can avoid the hassles of renting a car. I found a highly rated company to pick up my car later this week but their delivery window is almost any time next week. I don't plan to be in town until midweek at the earliest (my furniture/stuff won't be arriving for a few weeks so living in an empty apartment is something I'm trying to minimize).

I vote cashiers check and fedex
+1