Private vs Public school .. HCOL .. should I upgrade house for good school district ?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
lazybones18

Private vs Public school .. HCOL .. should I upgrade house for good school district ?

Post by lazybones18 »

Married ... One kid 2 year old ... planning to have 1 more kid

I live in Los Angeles in a ok neighborhood but public school here suck. The house currently I live in is worth around 800-900k which I bought for 450k in 2015. We have no need to change the house at the moment as it satisfies all our needs. However when our kid is ready to go to elementary school I have 2 options

1) Pay for good private school near my current house which can range anywhere from $20k-$40k per year / child
2) Upgrade to a 2M-2.5M house and utilize the public school system... higher property tax & more monthly payments

what would be the best path to take down the road ?
I want to provide my children excellent education
quantAndHold

Re: Private vs Public school .. HCOL .. should I upgrade house for good school district ?

Post by quantAndHold »

What’s wrong with the public schools?
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Topic Author
lazybones18

Re: Private vs Public school .. HCOL .. should I upgrade house for good school district ?

Post by lazybones18 »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:59 pm What’s wrong with the public schools?
currently where i live:
3-5 out of 10 rating on greatschools.org
below average test scores
low income students

not the kind of school or environment I want to send my kids to
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I bought a new house primarily to switch from a bad public middle school to a good one. It worked out for us.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

It is impossible to answer this question without knowing your financial situation.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

lazybones18 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:50 pm Married ... One kid 2 year old ... planning to have 1 more kid

I live in Los Angeles in a ok neighborhood but public school here suck. The house currently I live in is worth around 800-900k which I bought for 450k in 2015. We have no need to change the house at the moment as it satisfies all our needs. However when our kid is ready to go to elementary school I have 2 options

1) Pay for good private school near my current house which can range anywhere from $20k-$40k per year / child
2) Upgrade to a 2M-2.5M house and utilize the public school system... higher property tax & more monthly payments

You’re probably paying only $5k in property tax right now.

A $2.5M house would cost you an extra $20k/yr in property tax alone.

That’s private school tuition right there.
Topic Author
lazybones18

Post by lazybones18 »

hi_there wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:13 pm It is impossible to answer this question without knowing your financial situation.
ME: 34 / 350-400k per year income / stable
HER: 28 / 60k per year income / just starting career and expecting to grow

401k - $450k
ROTH IRA -$25K
SCHWAB Account - $75k
Current House: Mortgage $350k ... Value: $800-$900k
Windfall Money due to company buyout : $1 Million Cash
Foreign Real estate: $400k
No debt
Topic Author
lazybones18

Post by lazybones18 »

Tingting1013 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:28 pm
lazybones18 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:50 pm Married ... One kid 2 year old ... planning to have 1 more kid

You’re probably paying only $5k in property tax right now.

A $2.5M house would cost you an extra $20k/yr in property tax alone.

That’s private school tuition right there.
yes agreed but that's for 1 kid only

maybe move when both kids are of elementary school age ? save invest till then
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

Ok thanks for clarifying. I don't think you are rich enough to justify a $2 million+ house right now, but check again as your 2-year-old will enter elementary school, and perhaps your situation will be better.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Looks like you can afford it.

Are the schools town or county based? Is there any chance of getting redistricted? Flush that out.

Very rarely does someone that sends their kids to the public school regret buying a house in the good school district.

I see too much risk in living in the bad town and sending kids to private school. All the reasons you don’t like the bad school district, your child will still be exposed to much of that even if you send them to private school.

Live in the nice town and surround your kids with the right environment. There are very few scenarios that you’d regret taking this path.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

lazybones18 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:02 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:59 pm What’s wrong with the public schools?
currently where i live:
low income students

Just asking because greatschools isn’t god, it’s just test scores. Test scores, in the aggregate, measure how the worst kids do, not how your kids will do at the same schools. It’s mostly about the worst kids’ socioeconomic status. You’re basically planning to spend tons of money when I suspect you haven’t really even looked into your public school options.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:56 pm
currently where i live:
low income students

Just asking because greatschools isn’t god, it’s just test scores. Test scores, in the aggregate, measure how the worst kids do, not how your kids will do at the same schools. It’s mostly about the worst kids’ socioeconomic status. You’re basically planning to spend tons of money when I suspect you haven’t really even looked into your public school options.
You know if the school district is good or not. Everyone local knows. People either move to the town for the schools or they don’t.

I suspect the greatschools rating is simply being used by the OP to support what is already known.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

Option #2 any day assuming one can afford it. That'll cover any "oops" such as 3rd baby (or twins) :D

Yes, you can certainly afford it today but considering your kiddo is only 2 I'd wait until this insane real estate market eases.
Topic Author
lazybones18

Post by lazybones18 »

VoiceOfReason wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:02 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:56 pm
currently where i live:
low income students

You know if the school district is good or not. Everyone local knows. People either move to the town for the schools or they don’t.

I suspect the greatschools rating is simply being used by the OP to support what is already known.
correct i know my school district is terrible.. ... i live in city of Reseda in the valley...
sounds like upgrading the house with a good school district is a way to go
Topic Author
lazybones18

Post by lazybones18 »

srt7 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:05 pm Option #2 any day assuming one can afford it. That'll cover any "oops" such as 3rd baby (or twins) :D

Yes, you can certainly afford it today but considering your kiddo is only 2 I'd wait until this insane real estate market eases.
haha would love the have 3 kids.. not sure about my wife though :?:

yes i will wait still have 3 years to go untill my kid is 5
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

There are plenty of good school districts in LA that do not cost $2M+. Take a look at some previous threads that discusses this same topic for LA. Or you can share general area where you live and we can help with some good public school systems that cost $800-$1m.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
neverpanic

Post by neverpanic »

currently where i live:
low income students

lazybones18 wrote: I want to provide my children excellent education
Elementary schools are the pretty much the same wherever you go. The separation begins in middle school.

When chasing the "right crowd", if you are going the public school route, move into the district that has the good middle schools feeding to an excellent high school. Yes, you're rich, so you can afford the $2M house, but while we all have different worldviews, childhood education is about much more than test scores.
I am not a financial professional or guru. I'm a schmuck who got lucky 10 times. Such is the life of the trader.
rascott

Post by rascott »

Do the private school.

My guess is you like where you live and won't like where you'll need to move to.

Buying a house that is 2.5x your current house for just the schools is nonsense.

If I'm wrong, and you really want a big upgrade in house, ok. Still doesn't look like enough income to me for a $2.5m house.... but you'll make it work.

20-40k is a huge range on the privates. I'd suggest looking a lot closer and getting hard numbers. $20k isn't crazy.....$40k is absurd for elementary school.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

lazybones18 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:50 pmwhat would be the best path to take down the road ?
Wait 3 years, then decide if your children can get an excellent education is spite of all the "low income students" in your school district or not. Then act accordingly.
Just remember: it's not a lie if you believe it.
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

Without a doubt the OP and many here are aware that a “good school” is much more than just test scores.
Buy the house in a neighborhood with good schools, although determining what that means is tougher if you don’t live in that district. Perhaps you have family, friends or acquaintances who can give you the inside scoop on the schools from pre-k thru h.s.?
I would suggest purchasing the new home in the better/good district when your oldest is 4. Earlier
if there is a public Pre-k option. Kids get to know each other through parents meeting neighbors, day camps,…
Best of luck
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
James123

Post by James123 »

I have a close friend who lives in NYC. She is grappling with same question. Not all private schools are the same. Look at the exmissions of the private school. Some schools such as Trinity or Brearley in NYC sends 50% of its graduating high school class to Ive League universities or 10% of the class goes to Harvard.There are other private schools that send about 20-30% of their graduating class to Ivy League universities while charging the same fees as the top schools. It’s worth spending money on the former but not for the latter as you can get 30% exmission to Ives from a good public school too.

I believe that exmissions can be used as a global marker for the quality of education/ value addition provided by the school.
Warm regards, | James
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

I don't know how bad the schools are in your area. What I can say is I'm not in the best area for school either. It's maybe mid tier at best. When shopping for our house I did ponder the public school system but we couldn't afford to live where the schools are rated the highest. We did have the benefit of having long conversations with several life long educators. What they all seemed to tell me was that an even bigger factor in a child's success was the role of the parents and how active they were in their child's education. Also they said there are good and bad teachers in every school, at every level and at every district both public and private. You really don't know what affect an encounter with a single teacher might have on the course of your child's education and development (either good or bad), and it might happen at any district not just the better rated ones. So far we have lucked out and even though our district doesn't get the highest marks our children have had some amazing teachers and we both play a very active role in their education. Also their peer group is maybe going to be just as important as any school admin they are going to encounter so you have to play an active role in that as well. So I guess give it a shot with the public school and see how it goes, you never know.
sandan

Post by sandan »

Send them to the best school possible.

The public hs in Palos Verdes was good/competitive 20 years ago. Maybe it's still good today. Most other decent options will be private if the goal is to have math oriented careers as an option.
hand

Post by hand »

What is the goal here - best Elementary - High School education? Top college admittance?

Note that these two things may not be the same - my sense is that top students from disadvantaged schools may receive some level of preference in the college admittance game.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

Just pay for private school. Moving into a more expensive neighborhood could backfire badly if your kid for any reason doesn't go to school there.
DebiT

Post by DebiT »

mikejuss wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:17 pm Just pay for private school. Moving into a more expensive neighborhood could backfire badly if your kid for any reason doesn't go to school there.
Seriously likely the safest option, assuming a reasonably safe neighborhood close enough to desirable private high school such that socializing with school friends is easy
Age 63, life turned upside down 3/2/19, thanking God for what I've learned from this group
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

hand wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:14 pm What is the goal here - best Elementary - High School education? Top college admittance?

Note that these two things may not be the same - my sense is that top students from disadvantaged schools may receive some level of preference in the college admittance game.
That's the PC way of saying it and certainly was the case for my siblings and I (in the LA area).
Topic Author
lazybones18

Post by lazybones18 »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:30 pm
hand wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:14 pm What is the goal here - best Elementary - High School education? Top college admittance?

That's the PC way of saying it and certainly was the case for my siblings and I (in the LA area).
Can you guys share more details on this ?
was it because of disadvantaged school that they received preference or ethnicity ?
How do universities know which schools are disadvantaged and which are not ? what data do they look at
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

The way I see it, you may have to DOWNGRADE your house to be able to afford it in a high(er) cost of living area.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Ilikesparklers

Post by Ilikesparklers »

Are there any good public magnet or charter schools near Reseda that your kids may have access to? I have friends who went this route (attended North Hollywood High and Van Nuys magnets), and they turned out great.

With LA private schools (the better ones) costing at least $40k/year per kid, that's a lot of money. I personally attended one of these, and most of the kids I went to school with got new BMW's, had multi-million dollar houses, etc. The education was good and I felt safe, but I like to think I probably would have turned out the same and had similar opportunities had I gone to public school, especially a magnet.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

lazybones18 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:50 pm

was it because of disadvantaged school that they received preference or ethnicity ?
How do universities know which schools are disadvantaged and which are not ? what data do they look at
We checked the right ethnicity box. I honestly don't know how much going to a low-ranked inner-city public school helped other than we were highly ranked in our class without competition we likely would have faced at a school with a different demographic (sister was valedictorian, I was salutatorian). Sister went to Brown (full-need based) and I went to UCLA (partial academic scholarship that you had to check the right diversity box to be considered for), and our standardized test scores were definitely lower than the median for incoming freshman. I have friends from the same school, same situation, who went to several different Ivys and Stanford. Going further down this rabbit hole will only get this shut down.
Last edited by stoptothink on Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

currently where i live:
low income students

I’ve seen kids at the best schools die of drug overdoses and kids from the worst ones go to ivy leagues. Just my opinion but education and the school you go to is what you make of it.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Private schools which tout their admissions to private universities and colleges leave out one factor: legacy admissions (primarily, but in VA at least, UVA and W&M consider legacy status). Some schools only consider legacy status when its one of the parents who attended; some go further and include step-parents, grandparents and so forth.

Thus, a small private school might say they have a certain percentage admitted to Yale, but what % are legacy and how does the school use that in their calculations?

Of course, it was was another era; my parents could have sent me to a religious school, a segregated school, but instead sent me to public school. Growing up in a rather insular community, it was the right decision then and I still reap the benefits of being exposed to people very different.

Of those I have kept in contact with, run into or heard about, their success in life was affected by many things; not just what university they attended or did not attend.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

lazybones18 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:50 pm

The classic example is U Texas at Austin where top 6% of the graduating class from a Texas high school gets automatic admission. it's called the 10% law...but its down to 6%, lol.

https://news.utexas.edu/key-issues/top-10-percent-law/

Any admissions program that uses class rank in their weighting will give a top student going to a less academically competitive school a boost.

For UC:

"UC will not consider SAT or ACT test scores as a factor in admissions decisions for fall 2022-2024 applicants. In light of this change, we’ve revised the index we use to determine eligibility for the statewide guarantee, effective fall 2022. The updated Statewide Index will continue to identify California-resident students in the top 9 percent of California high school graduates and offer these students a guaranteed space at a UC campus, if space is available. "

https://admission.universityofcaliforni ... residents/

Hmm...that's not much of a guarantee when they slap "if space is available" at the end.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

Lol, I will tell you what NOT to do...decide on a plan to say in your lower priced house but suddenly have your pregnant wife insist to move RIGHT NOW and scramble to get your house ready by April and into a new house in a better school district before September.

That nesting instinct is real...but only appeared on the third kid for us.

A friend of mine ended up moving AND paying for private school. Lol...try to avoid that too.
Last edited by nigel_ht on Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paradise

Post by Paradise »

Monsterflockster wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:15 pm
currently where i live:
low income students

I’ve seen kids at the best schools die of drug overdoses and kids from the worst ones go to ivy leagues. Just my opinion but education and the school you go to is what you make of it.
Sure, there are some Hallmark movies like this, but you can't escape the reality that the better the school the better the chance for success for your child.

OP, I've had a similar thought experiment and we're currently on the track for private school because I have zero faith in a public education at this point. We're just going to send the kids to the best school that they can get into and live in a house that meets our needs.
50% VTI | 20% VXUS | 20% BND | 10% QQQ
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:18 pm Private schools which tout their admissions to private universities and colleges leave out one factor: legacy admissions (primarily, but in VA at least, UVA and W&M consider legacy status). Some schools only consider legacy status when its one of the parents who attended; some go further and include step-parents, grandparents and so forth.

Thus, a small private school might say they have a certain percentage admitted to Yale, but what % are legacy and how does the school use that in their calculations?
You might not get the legacy bump but being in the pipeline probably helps a tiny bit. From what I read, most likely they just get a "waitlisted" sop. That way parents don't yell at the counselors as much...
hand

Post by hand »

Fundamentally the college admissions pendulum has swung from reinforcing existing social structures and prioritizing "known" schools towards improved access for all specifically including underrepresented economic, racial and other groups.

This change manifests itself in different ways and to different degrees at each individual college, and intelligent people can disagree as to the degree and appropriateness of this shift, but in practice this means that top students at "worse" schools have more opportunities now than in the past, and in many cases have better opportunities for top college slots than middling students at top schools.

I wouldn't sacrifice a student's safety to play the college admissions game, but if college admissions is the goal, I believe high school ranking is less deterministic than the rankings and top school district echo chambers would have you believe.

I would also note that it is very important to understand the school ranking methodology and determine how much of it is applicable to your student rather than assume an overall number applied to a school is applicable to you. If a school is downgraded for only offering 3 AP classes, but those meet your student's needs, do you care?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

hand wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:23 pm Fundamentally the college admissions pendulum has swung from reinforcing existing social structures and prioritizing "known" schools towards improved access for all specifically including underrepresented economic, racial and other groups.

This change manifests itself in different ways and to different degrees at each individual college, and intelligent people can disagree as to the degree and appropriateness of this shift, but in practice this means that top students at "worse" schools have more opportunities now than in the past, and in many cases have better opportunities for top college slots than middling students at top schools.

I wouldn't sacrifice a student's safety to play the college admissions game, but if college admissions is the goal, I believe high school ranking is less deterministic than the rankings and top school district echo chambers would have you believe.

I would also note that it is very important to understand the school ranking methodology and determine how much of it is applicable to your student rather than assume an overall number applied to a school is applicable to you. If a school is downgraded for only offering 3 AP classes, but those meet your student's needs, do you care?
Pretty succinct way of putting it. If you are considering uprooting your life and moving so your kids can be in higher ranked schools, it is likely that you already have taken care of the most important factor: being a present and active parent who preaches the value of education. Whether you stay or move, send them to the local public or a high-end private; the fact that OP made this thread suggests it probably matters very little unless there are other considerations specific to your children.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

hand wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:23 pm If a school is downgraded for only offering 3 AP classes, but those meet your student's needs, do you care?
Yes you should probably care. The same AP class is not equivalent in rigor across all schools. A school having only 3 AP classes reveals a lack of investment in the AP program and likely subpar teaching talent for those classes.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (topic exhausted, derailed in several directions). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.