Noise cancelling headphones

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Colorado13

Noise cancelling headphones

Post by Colorado13 »

Please share recommendations for noise cancelling headphones. I would prefer in ear while my partner will only wear over the ear headphones. These will primarily be used during travel.

Are there any reaaonably priced options? Consumer Reports lists Bose model 700 at $379 (over ear) and Samsung Buds Live at $130 (in ear) as top choices. Does anyone have feedback about these? Recommendations are welcome.

Thanks!
ososnilknarf

Re: Noise cancelling headphones

Post by ososnilknarf »

Colorado13 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:57 pm Please share recommendations for noise cancelling headphones. I would prefer in ear while my partner will only wear over the ear headphones. These will primarily be used during travel.

Are there any reaaonably priced options? Consumer Reports lists Bose model 700 at $379 (over ear) and Samsung Buds Live at $130 (in ear) as top choices. Does anyone have feedback about these? Recommendations are welcome.

Thanks!
I just bought the Anker Soundcore Life Q20, based on the recommendation for a budget model on Wirecutter:
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... eadphones/

So far they seem great. I just got them and don't have anything to compare them to, but they seem to do the job for me.

Hope this helps.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

I have the Bose QuietComfort 35. I have had them for about two years and love them. I travel extensively so it really drowns out the noise. The bluetooth is the way to go. It does get some discomfort if you try to sleep in a chair though. Overall, I would buy them again.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

For earbuds: consider the Anker Soundcore Life P3, 1More ComfoBuds Pro, and (if you're willing to get it on Indiegogo) the Edifier NeoBuds Pro. All have ANC and good sound for under $100.

For over-ears: Anker Soundcore Q30 is very good but there was a dealbreaker for me - ANC does not work in wired mode. Not sure if the Q20 is the same.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Been a few threads on this before. Here is one.
viewtopic.php?t=346745
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

rich126 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:07 pm Been a few threads on this before. Here is one.
viewtopic.php?t=346745
Yes, LOTS of discussion about this exact issue.

BTW, I swear by the Bose over the ear. They are comfortable; no pressure on cartilage.
DH uses their in ear, the style with the little 'wings' that wedge them into the ear canal. (I could NOT get them to fit right, so I can't compare efficacy.)

They can make a huge difference to the drone of the engines or other loud background noise.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
wander

Post by wander »

Bose Bluetooth Noise cancelling headphones.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

I swear by bose nc headphones, I have had both the overhead and earbud styles.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

anon_investor wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:17 pm I swear by bose nc headphones, I have had both the overhead and earbud styles.
+1

Same here. I love them both.
Topic Author
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

Thanks for the replies! It seems that the technology for these changes fairly rapidly so I really appreciate you all sharing recommendations.
ososnilknarf

Post by ososnilknarf »

02nz wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:06 pm For earbuds: consider the Anker Soundcore Life P3, 1More ComfoBuds Pro, and (if you're willing to get it on Indiegogo) the Edifier NeoBuds Pro. All have ANC and good sound for under $100.

For over-ears: Anker Soundcore Q30 is very good but there was a dealbreaker for me - ANC does not work in wired mode. Not sure if the Q20 is the same.
If you mean that noise-cancellation doesn't work in wired mode, I can say that the Q20 *does* work in wired mode. What doesn't work in wired mode are the controls to pause/play/volume/etc. that are on the headset. You must control that from your audio source, such as your mobile device. Those controls only work when connected via Bluetooth.
Afty

Post by Afty »

I have both the Anker Q20 (purchased with my own money) and the Bose NC 700 (bought by my work). The Anker Q20 is 80-90% as good as the Bose NC 700 but at 1/6 the cost. The Anker’s noise cancellation is not quite as good, the sound is a bit bass heavy, and they do not support “transparency mode” (i.e., the headphones actively pipe in outside sounds when you push a button, so you can hear what’s going on around you). But the battery life is noticeably better, and I much prefer the Anker’s physical controls to the Bose’s touch ones. Both are comfortable enough to wear all day.

If I were spending my own money, I’d go with the Anker set.
student

Post by student »

I have the Bose 700. It is very comfortable and noise cancelling is great. I also have https://www.amazon.com/Noise-Cancelling ... NrPXRydWU= and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NM ... UTF8&psc=1 which are also good.
tyrion

Post by tyrion »

Afty wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:07 pm I have both the Anker Q20 (purchased with my own money) and the Bose NC 700 (bought by my work). The Anker Q20 is 80-90% as good as the Bose NC 700 but at 1/6 the cost. The Anker’s noise cancellation is not quite as good, the sound is a bit bass heavy, and they do not support “transparency mode” (i.e., the headphones actively pipe in outside sounds when you push a button, so you can hear what’s going on around you). But the battery life is noticeably better, and I much prefer the Anker’s physical controls to the Bose’s touch ones. Both are comfortable enough to wear all day.

If I were spending my own money, I’d go with the Anker set.
I have the Anker Q30 which does support transparency mode. Cup your hand over your ear and it will activate the mic so you can easily hear without taking off the headphones.

Other than pointing that out, totally agree with everything above. I considered shelling out for the top of the line Sony or Bose but I don't use them enough to make it worthwhile.
blueman457

Post by blueman457 »

I do a couple of round trip flights a month and use Sony 1000-XM3 over the ear headphones; I thought the sound quality was a little better than Bose Q35, but I’m not an audiophile. One thing I do not like about the Sony (compared to the Bose) is that the ability to change the audio source via bluetooth is a bit tedious.

AirPod Pros are pretty good for noise cancelling and you can change the audio source easily, but only worth it if you’re in the Apple Ecosystem.

Blue Man
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I bought the Bose 700 for $229 during Prime day. I am sure it will be on sale again.
The Sony 1000XM4 were $279.00
Both will probably go onsale again.
The 700 is fabulous the ANC; though you do need bluetooth on for them to work.
Topic Author
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

Thanks everyone! I wish I had thought about this on Prime Day (good suggestion from Rob) and am also intrigued by the Anker recommedations. Mother's day or Father's day might have been good timing too for a sale... Maybe there will be a good Labor Day sale? We have a September flight booked so would like to make the purchase prior to that.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

Flyer24 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:05 pm I have the Bose QuietComfort 35. I have had them for about two years and love them. I travel extensively so it really drowns out the noise. The bluetooth is the way to go. It does get some discomfort if you try to sleep in a chair though. Overall, I would buy them again.
+1 These are the ones I have, and agree that they work great and the Bluetooth is terrific.

"Quiet" is something I'm happy to pay extra for, and did!
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

Bose all the way. They are worth the price, many times over, if you travel frequently. My last pair was 8 years old and I only upgraded for bluetooth.

Have you worn in-ear for longer periods of time? I've found that they are comfortable for an hour or two, but then begin to get very, very uncomfortable. That was a major concern for me in terms of travel. Also, many in-ear headphones don't have great battery life, which is also an issue if you are on a long international flight. I've heard pretty good things about the AirPods Pro, but the ~ 4 hour battery life is a no-go if you fly frequently.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Flyer24 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:05 pm I have the Bose QuietComfort 35. I have had them for about two years and love them. I travel extensively so it really drowns out the noise. The bluetooth is the way to go. It does get some discomfort if you try to sleep in a chair though. Overall, I would buy them again.
I sleep with my Bose q35 most nights. The cups twist nicely so they rest where you out them. These have been a sanity saver with DH taking late night meetings in the bedroom, living under the flight path for a major military air station, etc.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... eadphones/ suggests the Bose 700. I got those and quite like them. Sound is great, noise cancellation is very good. My only issue is they occasionally drop the Bluetooth connection to my PC. But since that only has ever happened in Discord audio chats it may not be the headphones.
Last edited by Da5id on Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Superleaf444

Post by Superleaf444 »

I got the Bose 700’s recently and love them. Depending on where you live you might have different usability.

For instance, you can control the noise cancelling on them. So on the subway I have it all the way up and when I get off the subway I turn it down so I can hear my surroundings for safety reasons.

Also despite having glasses and the pads going over the ear, they are extremely comfortable.

I’ve had no issues with the touch controls like someone else but I could see that being an issue if you depend on them a ton. Since my phone is often in my hands, eh.

Another thing that’s worth noting is you can also plug them up with a cord in case the Bluetooth isn’t charged or you are on something like a flight.

Huge fan, have no complaints.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

A big question is how often and how long will you be using them. If you travel once or twice a year and only short flights (1-2 hours); any decent ANC should be adequate. If you fly frequently and over long distances you want the better noise cancelling phones (Sony XM4 or Bose 700).

I use my Bose QC25 almost every day (listen to music, block out noises) and they are not even bluetooth. If I am going to be binge watching Hulu on my computer I use the Bose 700.

Same with flying, short flights I take the old Bose; longer flights I will be taking the new Bose.
The QC25 I bought a few years ago on Prime Day for (I think) $119.'
Headphones seems to have 2 or 3 days a year with big discounts.
The only "shortcomings" of the Bose vs. the Sony -- charge lasts 20 hours vs. 30 hours for the Sony
and the sound in the Sony are slightly better (so the reviews say). Still at the prices I was thrilled
with the Bose 700.

If you don't need them before labor day, I would wait to see what sales will be going on:
Last edited by Rob5TCP on Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

For in ear, I'm a fan of the Bose Quiet Comfort 20. They're small and work well. Because they are wired, I can use them on the in-flight entertainment system. List price is $249, but on sale, they can get to $180 or $150 refurbished.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Rob5TCP wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:29 am A big question is how often and how long will you be using them. If you travel once or twice a year and only short flights (1-2 hours); any decent ANC should be adequate. If you fly frequently and over long distances you want the better noise cancelling phones (Sony XM4 or Bose 700).

I use my Bose QC25 almost every day (listen to music, block out noises) and they are not even bluetooth. If I am going to be binge watching Hulu on my computer I use the Bose 700.

Same with flying, short flights I take the old Bose; longer flights I will be taking the new Bose.
The QC25 I bought a few years ago on Prime Day for (I think) $119.'
Headphones seems to have 2 or 3 days a year with big discounts.
The only "shortcomings" of the Bose vs. the Sony -- charge lasts 20 hours vs. 30 hours for the Sony
and the sound in the Sony are slightly better (so the reviews say). Still at the prices I was thrilled
with the Bose 700.

If you don't need them before labor day, I would wait to see what sales will be going on:
I bought a pair of them years ago and was surprised how well they work. On an airplane when I took them off to go to the bathroom, it was a huge difference in noise, especially engine noise.

I also recently got a pair of airpods pro (I think that is the model) due to a big discount/credits and they aren't bad at all. The only issue with the Bose is the size, the airpods pro are so tiny. Personally I'm not a huge fan of buds since they seem to fall out often but I can't argue with the size and the quality is good.
davebo

Post by davebo »

I like Airpod Pros personally. For me, the over the ear ones wouldn't work. I use them for a lot of stuff:

1) No bluetooth in my car, so I put one of them in my ear while driving.
2) Connect to work laptop to do calls.
3) Running/Working out
4) Working around the house, usually will put 1 in.
5) Mowing the lawn, they drown out the sound of the tractor.

I'm sure they aren't the best for noise cancelling, but they are probably pretty good for ear buds. I never have issues with them falling out. I did have a sound issue with them at one point after I owned them for a year or so, but costco took them back and I got new ones.
Topic Author
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

I was thinking about checking Costco, so appreciate that recommendation along with the other suggestions. We're Android users, so I think that rules out the airpods but I'll get online tonight. Thanks.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Colorado13 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:31 pm I was thinking about checking Costco, so appreciate that recommendation along with the other suggestions. We're Android users, so I think that rules out the airpods but I'll get online tonight. Thanks.
Airpods work just fine with Android devices, however the net result is you pay the Apple tax for no incremental benefit, because all of the cool integrations they bring to the table are Apple-exclusive. They also sound worse, since they do not support AptX or SBC, and Android support of their native AAC protocol, while present, is not great.

On the Android side, take a look at the Galaxy Buds Pro. I have the originals, and there are two sets of Buds+ in the house; they're pretty solid equivalents (different form factor) to Airpods. The Pro adds ANC, and though I haven't sampled them, they should do what you want. All of the integrations are there, courtesy of the Galaxy Wearables app.
cbs2002

Post by cbs2002 »

The best "noise cancelling" headphones cancel noise by physically blocking it and delivering world-class sound to boot. That would by Etymotic in-ear monitors.

The catches are that they go deep in your ear canal and that they are wired. If you can deal with those, fly with them once and you will be converted. They cut you off from the outside world.

For over-ear wireless I also have Sennheiser Momentum, which are great. Soft leather ear cups, active noise cancelling and reasonably good sound. Can be run wired also.

You can get the cheapest Etys for less than 100, and the better ones for around 200. Senns are probably between 200-300.
Topic Author
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

lazydavid wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:20 pm
Colorado13 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:31 pm I was thinking about checking Costco, so appreciate that recommendation along with the other suggestions. We're Android users, so I think that rules out the airpods but I'll get online tonight. Thanks.
Airpods work just fine with Android devices, however the net result is you pay the Apple tax for no incremental benefit, because all of the cool integrations they bring to the table are Apple-exclusive. They also sound worse, since they do not support AptX or SBC, and Android support of their native AAC protocol, while present, is not great.

On the Android side, take a look at the Galaxy Buds Pro. I have the originals, and there are two sets of Buds+ in the house; they're pretty solid equivalents (different form factor) to Airpods. The Pro adds ANC, and though I haven't sampled them, they should do what you want. All of the integrations are there, courtesy of the Galaxy Wearables app.

Thank you! I appreciate you sharing your expertise and will check these out.
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

I have the Bose QuietComfort 35 and the Sony buds. My problem with the earbuds is that they keep falling out, especially when I'm eating and the constant jaw motion loosens the buds.

I prefer the over-ear because the cups also block sound that the earbuds won't.

-B
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

I agree Bose is the best. But if you are not willing to shell out $200+, a $40 ANC headphones work pretty ok (ofc not as good as Bose). I bought 3 $40 ANC and happy with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDjTeoyEjh4
GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL »

I purchased Wyze ones for a little over $50 and have been very happy. These don't work if the battery runs down and the Wyze claims to last 21 hrs and you can get a 4 hr charge in ten minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/Noise-Cancelling ... B08KHTJL1F
Topic Author
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

I've read reviews of the models everyone has recommended and it seems Bose 700 and/or Quiet Comfort may be great options. I'm also interested in the Samsung Galaxy Buds... Just trying to determine if it makes sense to spend the extra money for Bose so I can enjoy quiet flights (with hopes that air travel is in my future.)