travelbusinessclass.com [is it legit?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
candb

travelbusinessclass.com [is it legit?]

Post by candb »

I was wondering if anyone has used travelbusinessclass.com? I'm looking to fly from US to Germany in the fall, and it seems their fares are way lower than what I can find on the other traditional travel sites. I'm wondering if this is legitimate and what the drawbacks might be.

Thanks for any feedback.

Re: travelbusinessclass.com [is it legit?]

Post by 123 »

The business address on their website is: 1007 North Orange Street 4th Floor #95, Wilmington, DE 19801. Google told me that the address is a "community and co-working space".

They share that same business address with airbusinesstravel.com and perhaps others.

Whois.com indicates that the registrant contact for travelbusinessclass.com is in Chisinau Moldova. Moldova is between Romania and the Ukraine.

I don't think I would use them with any of my own money.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

If a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

These sites aren't usually scams per se, but tread carefully.

See https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/premiu ... avel-scam/
Topic Author
candb

Post by candb »

123 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:01 pm The business address on their website is: 1007 North Orange Street 4th Floor #95, Wilmington, DE 19801. Google told me that the address is a "community and co-working space".

They share that same business address with airbusinesstravel.com and perhaps others.

Whois.com indicates that the registrant contact for travelbusinessclass.com is in Chisinau Moldova. Moldova is between Romania and the Ukraine.

I don't think I would use them with any of my own money.
Thanks for the research....yes, it does look like they operate several of these similar sites.
Topic Author
candb

Post by candb »

dukeblue219 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:14 pm These sites aren't usually scams per se, but tread carefully.

See https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/premiu ... avel-scam/
Thanks for the link....very helpful. I ended up talking to them over the phone and they do seem legit. I'll see what they come up with.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

When I want to book business class from the US to Germany, I go to the united.com or lufthansa.com websites.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

candb wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 am I'm looking to fly from US to Germany in the fall
Track fares with an alert on Google Flights. A few weeks ago Lufthansa/United had US-Germany nonstops in business class for about $1700 roundtrip.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

candb wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 am their fares are way lower than what I can find on the other traditional travel sites
They quote New York to Paris and return in business class as $1,784.

Google Flights quotes same trip as $7,194.

Scam alert!
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
Topic Author
candb

Post by candb »

02nz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:39 pm
candb wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 am I'm looking to fly from US to Germany in the fall
Track fares with an alert on Google Flights. A few weeks ago Lufthansa/United had US-Germany nonstops in business class for about $1700 roundtrip.
I started doing that yesterday....wish I had earlier, that fare is amazing.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

gwe67 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:42 pm
candb wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 am their fares are way lower than what I can find on the other traditional travel sites

Scam alert!
They quote it "as low as" which is shady as hell, but not scammy.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

Sites like this are almost certainly booking their flights one of two ways. One they are purchasing credit card or airline points outright from people who generate lots of points (I know folks who do this, I don't participate). They then book their customers on award tickets and charge them some discount from the full cash price. The second way is similar which is some credit card companies allow you to use their points to purchase cash tickets. Often times with certain cards there is a discount. This usually results in a smaller discount than an outright award booking but is more flexible in the sense they don't need to find dates with awards available.

If you chose to participate these are the risks you are taking. First the companies I am aware of on the purchasing side aren't outright scammy as the folks I know who have dealt with them have been paid but they aren't exactly upstanding citizens either. They are operating in violation of most award program rules and though they generally come though you sometimes have to hound them. In general the sense I get is when they are hungry they are pretty easy to deal with but once they have your points (or money) they get less responsive. Note this is not a specific comment on the company you are looking at since I cannot map the names of the points buyers to the names of the tickets sellers but it is the same folks on both sides.

Also if this is an award ticket you also have the risk that the airline figures out what is going on and cancels your tickets including once you have already left (e.g., you could be in Europe with no return ticket). These folks are fairly good at navigating that risk but it is still there. Finally in COVID times with a high probability of cancellations or the need to change a booking this adds many more layers of complication which make getting a refund for flight change much more complicated. This is especially true when they use say Lufthansa points to book a United flight. Partner redemptions are harder to deal with if you need to change them.

Personally in the current travel environment I would not touch this with a 12 foot pole.
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

candb wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:51 pm
02nz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:39 pm
I started doing that yesterday....wish I had earlier, that fare is amazing.
Using United and Lufthansa as an example, note there can be huge differences between the two on the same flights (and/or code-shares with the other). Google Flights is an excellent tool to find those differences, but you have to mentally screen out the consolidators in the "Booking Options" section unless you are willing to take that risk. As a datapoint, two years ago Flights showed me a $45k itinerary on ANA for flights on ANA and Cathay Pacific that was only $13k through United (and normally you can't even book Cathay through the United site).
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

Scam alert!
Yes this company is probably at the very least shady but the all business class La Compagnie is pricing out at $2.3k-ish on random dates for me: www.lacompagnie.com. So $1.8k isn't that out of line.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

THY4373 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:20 am

Scam alert!
Yes this company is probably at the very least shady but the all business class La Compagnie is pricing out at $2.3k-ish on random dates for me: www.lacompagnie.com. So $1.8k isn't that out of line.
Hmmm... I just checked New York to Milan next spring, and round-trip was a bit under $2k. If there are lots of add-on fees, I haven't counted those yet. But even so, how much could those add!?

Is anyone here able to comment on their plane/seats and services?
I had forgotten all about them!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
candb

Post by candb »

Update:

One of their agents called me directly after I had requested a firm quote on their website. He got some more information on my trip...dates, preferred airlines, airports, layover times, etc. Then he went back and worked out a few quotes, which he emailed me about an hour later.

The fares were about the same or marginally better than what I could find on travel sites or the airlines' sites directly. So I'll just end up booking my own tickets directly with the airline.

Still, travelbusinessclass.com seemed like a legitimate business...essentially just a travel agent specializing in business class itineraries. Yes, their advertising of extremely low fares on their sites is a bit misleading, but overall they seemed fine. I suspect that in some cases they might be able to save you quite a bit of money, but in my case they couldn't really beat the published fares out there.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Third party (or fourth party) sites like these are fraught with issues. A look at the TA Air Travel forum, and others, has hundreds of negative posts about these outfits. Booking direct, luckily as you have, is always advised especially in these times.