Highest yield Vanguard Mutual Fund

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
FinancialAnalyst

Highest yield Vanguard Mutual Fund

Post by FinancialAnalyst »

I'm curious as to which Vanguard Mutual fund is the highest yielding?

Highest one year returns?

Highest five year returns?

Highest 10 year returns?

Highest lifetime returns?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Highest yield Vanguard Mutual Fund

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! You're asking a good question, but asking for the "best" fund won't get you there. What you're really after is the best return on your investments. We can help you with that.

Instead, may I suggest you post your portfolio information in this thread using the Asking Portfolio Questions format? It will make you think about the "big picture" while giving us the information we need to point you in the right direction.

If you have any questions, ask them here.

Also, see the wiki: Getting started
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

FinancialAnalyst wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:23 am I'm curious as to which Vanguard Mutual fund is...
Welcome to the forum!

I'll give you instructions so you can answer your questions by yourself... please report back what you find!

1) Browse to https://advisors.vanguard.com/investments/mutual-funds

2) The "Performance" tab shows you the performance of mutual funds over various time frames. You can find the answer to "Highest one year returns?" by clicking on the "1 yr" column so that the arrow points up. The top row shows you the answer.

NOTE: this report includes all mutual fund share classes, including the Institutional class which requires a $5 million minimum investment! If you only care about retail mutual funds, just scan down the list to find the first fund without "Institutional" in the name. Hint: it's Strategic Small-Cap Equity Fund for the 1 year return.

3) Repeat step 2) for the 5 yr, 10 yr, and Inception columns.

4) To figure out highest yield, first click on the "Yield" tab. Next click on either the SEC yield or Distribution column, again so the arrow points up. Again, the first row shows the fund with the highest yield. NOTE: not all funds have their distribution yield shown, so I wouldn't count on this table giving you the highest distribution yielding fund.
mkc

Post by mkc »

FinancialAnalyst wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:23 am I'm curious as to which Vanguard Mutual fund is the highest yielding?

Highest one year returns?

Highest five year returns?

Highest 10 year returns?

Highest lifetime returns?
If you use Fidelity's Mutual Fund evaluator, select Vanguard as the fund family, include closed funds, you can get some idea for each of these.

As to whether it's of use is another matter. Evaluating funds solely by returns, in a bubble, is questionable. Plus all of those yields assume buy and hold of the fund and don't take into consideration risk, taxes on distributions, etc.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Welcome to the forum.

Pretty easy to find the list of all mutual funds on their website. Then select view by cumulative returns, and look down the various time-period columns. I couldn’t make the website sort by returns, but you can eyeball scan down the columns to get the info you want in less than a minute.

It’s not particularly useful information, but it’s kind of interesting for giggles and kicks. I hope you’re not planning to pick a fund this way :oops:, but if you are, please read this first: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

And by the way, I assume you mean “return” as you state in the body of your post, rather than “yield” as you say in your title. Yield refers to the fund’s distributions (think dividend or interest).
Last edited by Doctor Rhythm on Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Yield and return are not the same thing. The funds publish YTD, 1,5, 10 year, and since inception returns and also the current SEC yield. Return is the annualized compound average growth rate for an investment held for the period and distributions reinvested. SEC yield is calculated from a formula that looks at dividends.

Since return can vary from asset class to asset class this chart of now things line up over time might be of interest: blob:https://www.callan.com/aedafbeb-d42c-42 ... b187b610fc

My guess is that what you are asking for is not really what you want. Looking at past period returns is not a good way to select investments. If it is a question of curiosity then the data can be found on the Vanguard pages.