Chase bonuses

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
6d1v7x3

Chase bonuses

Post by 6d1v7x3 »

Hi everyone I am trying to get all of the great Chase credit card sign-up bonuses. I currently only have a Sapphire Preferred. I should note that I do not own any legitimate business. What card should I apply for next? Thanks for any help.
Ron Ronnerson

Re: Chase bonuses

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

If you fly Southwest, the Chase Southwest credit cards are worth checking out. Their Plus card has the lowest annual fee at $69/year. They also give you 3000 miles on your anniversary date if you decide to keep the card long term (I value 3000 miles at around $50, so it offsets much of the annual fee). You need to spend $2k in the first 90 days to earn a bonus. The bonus is currently 65k miles, which I value at at around $1100.

You can also choose the Southwest Premier or Priority card instead. Those come with more benefits but higher annual fees. The terms to get the bonus are the same though.

If you don’t fly Southwest, ignore all this.
Topic Author
6d1v7x3

Post by 6d1v7x3 »

Thanks for the advice but I'm really only interested in Ultimate Rewards or cash. Thank you though.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

6d1v7x3 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:47 pm Thanks for the advice but I'm really only interested in Ultimate Rewards or cash. Thank you though.
If you got the bonus on the Sapphire Preferred within the past 48 months, you do not qualify for another bonus on another Sapphire product, like the Reserve.

Freedom Flex is probably the best offer going: $200 (=20K UR Points) signup bonus plus 5% cash back (=4X bonus UR points) on grocery store purchases the first 12 months, up to $12K spend.

Doctorofcredit is a good site for this stuff.
Topic Author
6d1v7x3

Post by 6d1v7x3 »

I was thinking of holding off on the Freedom Flex for the last of the five. But let's say I did that next, what would I do for the next three slots I have?
tj

Post by tj »

6d1v7x3 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:57 pm I was thinking of holding off on the Freedom Flex for the last of the five. But let's say I did that next, what would I do for the next three slots I have?
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-cur ... n-bonuses/

I don't even remember the last time I bothered wtih a Chase card since they have the 4 year limiation on Sapphires. I took out a Sapphire Preferred in 2018, so I guess next fall I'll be able to go for it again.
Topic Author
6d1v7x3

Post by 6d1v7x3 »

I'm frequently on that site but nowhere on it have I read the correct procedure for 5/24 for someone who has no legitimate business and is not interested in Southwest cards.
tj

Post by tj »

6d1v7x3 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:10 pm I'm frequently on that site but nowhere on it have I read the correct procedure for 5/24 for someone who has no legitimate business and is not interested in Southwest cards.

Have you? Because there are a ton more cards way more interesting than Chase.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

6d1v7x3 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:57 pm I was thinking of holding off on the Freedom Flex for the last of the five. But let's say I did that next, what would I do for the next three slots I have?
if you want to stay within the UR pts ecosystem, then definitely make sure to get the Freedom Unlimited and Freedom Flex cards. They are no annual fee, and the points earned from them are transferable to the Chase Sapphire Preferred/Reserve cards.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

6d1v7x3 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:10 pm I'm frequently on that site but nowhere on it have I read the correct procedure for 5/24 for someone who has no legitimate business and is not interested in Southwest cards.
It’s simple. Go look at Chase’s portfolio and decide which cards you want.

My wife and I each have an Ink Cash. We signed up for Ink Bolds and downgraded. We have “businesses”. We each sell one or two things on eBay once a year.

I’d recommend you come up with your “business” and sign up for an Ink Preferred 80k offer or an Ink Unlimited for 50k.

After that, you can look at Hyatt or United cards. Another option is to sign up for a Marriott card and then at the end of the first year upgrade to the Ritz Carlton card.

Don’t waste time signing up for Chase Freedoms—you can convert annual fee cards to them as you look to dump those cards. The bonuses are only in the 20k to 30k range. Not worth wasting a new sign up for those cards this early in the game. Keep in mind business cards from Chase and AMEX don’t count towards 5/24.

Personally, the 5/24 train left long ago. I am not giving up on all the other banks’ offers so I can keep getting Chase cards.
Last edited by Jags4186 on Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

You could start a business (just come up with a name and what your product/service is) and register the business. This would require filling out necessary paperwork and possibly waiting a few weeks for everything to be processed. You don’t actually need any sales before getting a business credit card as it would be for a new business without sales at this early stage. The business could be for anything like making a craft to sell on Etsy, selling goods on Craigslist or eBay, offering a service, etc.

You can typically use your SSN if your business is listed as a sole proprietorship but if you prefer not to use your SSN, you can get an EIN from the IRS website in a few minutes.

You fill out the credit card application with your estimated income but aren’t held to meeting a goal. You should be honest on your application but there is no requirement that you need a well-established and highly-profitable business.

If you really want to earn a lot of Ultimate Rewards points (and cash if you’re going to also open checking accounts), going through this process can be worth your while. You can also open business checking accounts and credit cards at other banks, by the way.
tj

Post by tj »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:31 pm You could start a business (just come up with a name and what your product/service is) and register the business. This would require filling out necessary paperwork and possibly waiting a few weeks for everything to be processed. You don’t actually need any sales before getting a business credit card as it would be for a new business without sales at this early stage. The business could be for anything like making a craft to sell on Etsy, selling goods on Craigslist or eBay, offering a service, etc.

You can typically use your SSN if your business is listed as a sole proprietorship but if you prefer not to use your SSN, you can get an EIN from the IRS website in a few minutes.

You fill out the credit card application with your estimated income but aren’t held to meeting a goal. You should be honest on your application but there is no requirement that you need a well-established and highly-profitable business.

If you really want to earn a lot of Ultimate Rewards points (and cash if you’re going to also open checking accounts), going through this process can be worth your while. You can also open business checking accounts and credit cards at other banks, by the way.
For Chase, I used an EIN and put $0.00 business revenue, approved. That was maybe 5-10 years ago though.
Cubsfan24

Post by Cubsfan24 »

Jags4186 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:29 pm

My wife and I each have an Ink Cash. We signed up for Ink Bolds and downgraded. We have “businesses”. We each sell one or two things on eBay once a year.

I’d recommend you come up with your “business” and sign up for an Ink Preferred 80k offer or an Ink Unlimited for 50k.

After that, you can look at Hyatt or United cards. Another option is to sign up for a Marriott card and then at the end of the first year upgrade to the Ritz Carlton card.

Don’t waste time signing up for Chase Freedoms—you can convert annual fee cards to them as you look to dump those cards. The bonuses are only in the 20k to 30k range. Not worth wasting a new sign up for those cards this early in the game. Keep in mind business cards from Chase and AMEX don’t count towards 5/24.

Personally, the 5/24 train left long ago. I am not giving up on all the other banks’ offers so I can keep getting Chase cards.
Is Ink Business bonus rule every 48 months as well?
NoProbLlama

Post by NoProbLlama »

We have two Chase Freedom cards (one for myself & another for DW). We usually max the 5% rotating categories on each card & then transfer to the Sapphire card for the UR multiplier.

You can often get gift cards from merchants that are in-rotation to be used at to other stores that aren't in the rotating category. For instance, last quarter was Home Improvement stores. Lowe's sells gift cards to Dick's, Sephora, Amazon, etc. Similar setup this quarter with grocery stores.

There's also a fairly active community at reddit.com/r/churning/ if you want more feedback. They're a bit more aggressive than I prefer, but there's also a flowchart of 'optimal' strategies for 5/24.
Last edited by NoProbLlama on Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tj

Post by tj »

NoProbLlama wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:14 pm We have two Chase Unlimited Freedom cards (one for myself & another for DW). We usually max the 5% rotating categories on each card & then transfer to the Sapphire card for the UR multiplier.

You can often get gift cards from merchants that are in-rotation to be used at to other stores that aren't in the rotating category. For instance, last quarter was Home Improvement stores. Lowe's sells gift cards to Dick's, Sephora, Amazon, etc. Similar setup this quarter with grocery stores.

There's also a fairly active community at reddit.com/r/churning/ if you want more feedback. They're a bit more aggressive than I prefer, but there's also a flowchart of 'optimal' strategies for 5/24.
Freedom Unlimited doesn't have 5% categories, only Freedom and Freedom Flex. Freedom Unlimited is 1.5% flat
NoProbLlama

Post by NoProbLlama »

tj wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:53 pm Freedom Unlimited doesn't have 5% categories, only Freedom and Freedom Flex. Freedom Unlimited is 1.5% flat
Thanks for the correction. We actually got these cards back when there was only the single Freedom option. I knew they had re-branded into two & got crossed-up on which was 5% rotating vs 1.5% flat.

I've edited my original post to correct.
DrGrnTum

Post by DrGrnTum »

What is your goal for the Chase UR bonuses?
Are you looking for Cash Back? Do you plan to use the points for travel?
Either way, you are limiting your options by sticking with the UR program.

Did you just get the Chase Preferred?
If you received the bonus longer than 48 mo. ago then you can downgrade the card to a Flex or Unlimited.
When you change a card like this it will also not count against your 5/24.

If you just got the Preferred and you don’t have a business you are pretty my much SOL if you want big bonuses with UR.

If you have a significant other you can have them sign up for the Preferred.

You can try signing up for a card for your “Business” but just know that the banks have been cracking down on the loop-holes that people have been using to “Game” the system. If you go this route let us know if you are successful in getting a business card.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:31 pm You could start a business (just come up with a name and what your product/service is) and register the business. This would require filling out necessary paperwork and possibly waiting a few weeks for everything to be processed. You don’t actually need any sales before getting a business credit card as it would be for a new business without sales at this early stage. The business could be for anything like making a craft to sell on Etsy, selling goods on Craigslist or eBay, offering a service, etc.
When I applied for my most recent Ink card (several years ago, when I did still have a real business), Chase required a considerable amount of documentation showing a multi-year history of earnings, business registration, etc. Not saying that always occurs but it definitely did in my case. I don't remember the exact documents they required but there were multiple documents and you wouldn't be able to readily produce them without having an actual operating business. I easily met the requirements but the business had been my primary source of income for many years.
Last edited by tibbitts on Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Cubsfan24 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:06 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:29 pm

Is Ink Business bonus rule every 48 months as well?
No it is 24 months
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:52 am
When I applied for my most recent Ink card (several years ago, when I did still have a real business), Chase required a considerable amount of documentation showing a multi-year history of earnings, business registration, etc. Not saying that always occurs but it definitely did in my case. I don't remember the exact documents they required but there were multiple documents and you wouldn't be able to readily produce them without having an actual operating business. I easily met the requirements but the business had been my primary source of income for many years.
I tell them it is a new business so there is no income yet. They did ask me for a fictions business name statement (that’s really what it’s called in my area) when I went to open my account. I had that available. To get a fictitious business name statement, I had to fill out paperwork at the county and pay about $60 to have the name of the business published for a few weeks in a newspaper. About a month later, the business was officially registered and I received the fictitious business statement. By the way, I did this three years ago so am not sure if requirements have changed since then.

This may all seem like a lot of trouble to some people but can be worthwhile. My wife and I each opened business credit cards and checking accounts at Chase in 2018 and 2021. Just the bonuses we’ve gotten from Chase are worth around $8k. We used the same fictitious business statement to open accounts (both business credit cards and checking accounts) at several other banks. The hourly rate for going through the trouble of filling out that paperwork is in the thousands of dollars at this point.
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

NoProbLlama wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:18 pm
tj wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:53 pm Freedom Unlimited doesn't have 5% categories, only Freedom and Freedom Flex. Freedom Unlimited is 1.5% flat
Thanks for the correction. We actually got these cards back when there was only the single Freedom option. I knew they had re-branded into two & got crossed-up on which was 5% rotating vs 1.5% flat.

I've edited my original post to correct.
Well, that is not technically correct either. New applications to Chase Freedom Unlimited get 5% back on groceries for the first year. The 1.5% on all purchases kicks only from the second year onwards.

https://creditcards.chase.com/cash-back ... /unlimited
2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy »

I've had them before and churned them ~10 years ago. Last year I got a CSR for me and a CSP for the wife and another one for my "business" of selling used things I no longer needed on ebay.

I got all the bonuses. I didn't try to get multiple cards though.

I also got an Amex plat with the 100,000 bonus for good measure.

Played with all of them for a while, sucked out all of the bonuses (uber, groceries during COVID, instacart signups, etc) and then decided even with all that it didn't justify the annual fee.

I'm now back to my 2% fido cash back that I used for past ~6 years and happy as ever. Plus much more simple.
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.