Need to Replace a Macbook Air. Recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Need to Replace a Macbook Air. Recommendations?

Post by Barefootgirl »

A Macbook Air was purchased for me in 2016 and I need to replace it.

The MBA is perfect for my needs - no more, no less.

I strongly prefer to purchase one similar, but perhaps a newer model, if there have been improvements. I might also consider an iPad - with a keyboard, if functionality is similar? as I will be increasingly mobile in the not too distant future.

Please suggest a good place to buy another Macbook Air. I am open to various models, new or used, but reliable.

Thanks!
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
Dottie57

Re: Need to Replace a Macbook Air. Recommendations?

Post by Dottie57 »

Best Buy or Apple store works. Make sure you buy the current model with the non Intel chip. Or wait for the new models which will probably be out in the fall. The Apple computer chip runs cooler. I wish I needed a new computer - I would buy the macbook air.
artpennypacker

Post by artpennypacker »

My wife recently upgraded from a 2016 MacBook to a new m1 MacBook Air. The new MacBook Air is nice. Better screen, better battery wise and horsepower, but it’s quite a bit heavier. It is unfortunately the lightest model they make now. But it’s probably what I would get if you need to stay in apple ecosystem.

You can look for refurbished by Apple, on Apples website. Or you can look on edu Apple for discounts. Way back when, I used to use Macworld or the other online Mac stores but they only save you like $50.

Refurbs from Apple carry a one year warranty same as new ones, you can get apple care if you’re into that (I don’t) and they look brand new.

I typically buy refurbed from Apple, if they have it in stock.
Last edited by artpennypacker on Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
khunron

Post by khunron »

The MBA/M2 should be out next early next year. If you're trying to save some money, then the MBA/M1 should be discounted at that time. You will sometimes see Macs on sale at Amazon, Best Buy, etc., but the normal prices will be the same as you get from the Apple store. A refurbished model will be cheaper, if you're willing to take that risk.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Barefootgirl wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:52 am A Macbook Air was purchased for me in 2016 and I need to replace it.

I strongly prefer to purchase one similar, but perhaps a newer model, if there have been improvements. I might also consider an iPad - with a keyboard, if functionality is similar? as I will be increasingly mobile in the not too distant future.

Please suggest a good place to buy another Macbook Air. I am open to various models, new or used, but reliable.

Thanks!
I've bought many iPhones and iPads; I always buy direct from Apple and will continue.
At Apple, I just did a quick build of a MBA upgraded to 2TB drive and 16GB memory for $2206.29 out the door.

13-inch MacBook Air - Space Gray
Apple M1 chip with 8‑core CPU, 8‑core GPU, and 16‑core Neural Engine
16GB unified memory
2TB SSD storage
Retina display with True Tone
Backlit Magic Keyboard - US English
Touch ID
Force Touch trackpad
Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports
Accessory Kit
Software
Photos, iMovie, GarageBand
Pages, Numbers, Keynote
macOS

EDIT: Then I went for the lowest priced MBA...8GB MEM; 256 SSD Drive: $1068.93 out the door.
Last edited by hudson on Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

This is pretty simple really - get a MacBook Air with M1, often on sale (or if you have educational discount) for $900. It's very fast and runs efficiently and silently (no fan). I would not get the $2000+ configuration recommended by the poster above (unless you really need that much RAM or storage, which you almost certainly do not) - you're far better off spending $1000 but replacing twice as often.

The M1 is Apple's first architecture shift since Apple started using Intel chips about 15 years ago. It's the future for Apple, and Intel-based Macs are being phased out and will lose software support in a few years. So definitely do not get an Intel-based Mac at this point.
Bogle7

your new Macbook Air

Post by Bogle7 »

Get a M1 Macbook Air.
Get 16 GB of memory.
Get at least 512 GB of SSD.
Ger AppleCare+.

There are deals. "Exclusive deals on Apple's current MacBook Air offer savings of up to $150 off every configuration* with coupon code APINSIDER at Apple Authorized Reseller Adorama."

Don’t over analyze this. Buy what Tim tells you to buy.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

02nz wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:46 am This is pretty simple really - get a MacBook Air with M1, often on sale (or if you have educational discount) for $900. It's very fast and runs efficiently and silently (no fan). I would not get the $2000+ configuration recommended by the poster above (unless you really need that much RAM or storage, which you almost certainly do not) - you're far better off spending $1000 but replacing twice as often.

The M1 is Apple's first architecture shift since Apple started using Intel chips about 15 years ago. It's the future for Apple, and Intel-based Macs are being phased out and will lose software support in a few years. So definitely do not get an Intel-based Mac at this point.
Depends on your needs. I bought a Macbook Pro ~ 20 months ago. 256 SSD, 8G and i5 processor. I had to prune my files within 15 months of buying it. If I were to buy again, I'd buy the 512G hard drive at a minimum.

I also get the spinning wheel of delay more frequently than I 'd like; not sure if the 16G RAM would help with that.

Finally, I heard through my tech team that there is an issue running two monitors on the M1 chip - the M1 chip-based laptops cannot do it. So if the OP is interested in using external monitors, keep that in mind.
gatorking

Post by gatorking »

Costco. most basic version of MBA is $900. And you get 2 year warranty.
https://www.costco.com/macbooks.html
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Any comments on " iPad - with a keyboard"? I'm curious.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

retiredjg wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:54 pm Any comments on " iPad - with a keyboard"? I'm curious.
I tried it and it was great for web browsing, forums, and email.

But I hated it when working on Excel spreadsheets. So I bought a lightweight laptop instead.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

retiredjg wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:54 pm Any comments on " iPad - with a keyboard"? I'm curious.
Personal preference. My spouse uses iPad with keyboard for email and web browsing while sitting in a family room chair. Uses my laptop in our office on occasion when a Word document or Excel spreadsheet needs to be edited. OTOH I do taxes on the laptop and use my iPhone in the family room. Personally I like my high quality 27" 1440p monitor and am thinking about a 38" wide screen (Dell's top end 2021 model is out of stock otherwise I probably would have pulled the trigger on it this week).
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Sandi_k wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:35 pm ...
Finally, I heard through my tech team that there is an issue running two monitors on the M1 chip - the M1 chip-based laptops cannot do it. So if the OP is interested in using external monitors, keep that in mind.
Yes, the problem is if you need more than one external monitor. For some people and usages, the MBA screen plus one external monitor is perfect. But for people who need two or more larger screens this could be a deal breaker.

From Apple support article Connect a display to your Mac
If you're using a Mac with Apple silicon:

You can connect one external display to your Mac using either of the Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports. On iMac and Mac mini, connect your display to either of the ports with the Thunderbolt symbol .
On Mac mini (M1, 2020), you can connect a second display to the HDMI port.
Using docks or daisy chaining devices doesn't increase the number of displays you can connect.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Sandi_k wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:35 pm Depends on your needs. I bought a Macbook Pro ~ 20 months ago. 256 SSD, 8G and i5 processor. I had to prune my files within 15 months of buying it. If I were to buy again, I'd buy the 512G hard drive at a minimum.
Sure, OP should check her own storage needs. With cloud storage a lot of people don't need as much local storage as before. Unfortunately Apple's pricing for storage upgrades borders on exortion - $250 to go from 256 to 512GB, about 10 times the cost of that much storage at retail - and you can't swap out the storage yourself, as you can on just about every PC.
Sandi_k wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:35 pm I also get the spinning wheel of delay more frequently than I 'd like; not sure if the 16G RAM would help with that.
It could for heavy multi-tasking. But that model was $1700 and not even available any longer.
jcchen

Post by jcchen »

the Macbook air with apple m1 chip has good reviews. Most say 8 GB version is plenty for most folks. This has the newer keyboard and retina (1600 pixel) display

$850 at Microcenter
$900 at costco.com with 2 yr warranty. 4 yr if costco visa.
$900 at Apple educational, with free airpods which are normally $159
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

sycamore wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:05 pm
Yes, the problem is if you need more than one external monitor. For some people and usages, the MBA screen plus one external monitor is perfect. But for people who need two or more larger screens this could be a deal breaker.

You can connect one external display to your Mac using either of the Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports. On iMac and Mac mini, connect your display to either of the ports with the Thunderbolt symbol .
Using docks or daisy chaining devices doesn't increase the number of displays you can connect.
Right. That was exactly my point. Most of my staff now use two large 27"-32" monitors, so the MBA with the M1 chip is inappropriate.
student

Post by student »

I have the Macbook Air with M1 chip with 16GB RAM. No fan noise.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

For use as a main computer, you'd need to get the 12.9-inch version. Add the Magic Keyboard and you're at a minimum of $1450 (for 128GB). That makes it a lot pricier than the basic MacBook Air.

I have an iPad Air 3 and like it, but it still cannot replace a computer, and that's very much by design on Apple's part. The iPad Pro's hardware is certainly powerful enough, but they seem intent on limiting it in software.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

Barefootgirl wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:52 am
Delaware…I’ve been told no sales tax…

I picked up a M1 MBA recently…it’s verrra nice.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

Sandi_k wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:43 pm
sycamore wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:05 pm

Right. That was exactly my point. Most of my staff now use two large 27"-32" monitors, so the MBA with the M1 chip is inappropriate.
I moved to one 43” 4K TV vs two smaller monitors as I noticed I was scaling on the smaller monitors so I could see smaller details. Which works fine but loses you screen real estate…

On the larger monitor I run native resolution for the desktop and it’s big enough to see without zooming.
catdude

Post by catdude »

OP, Amazon currently has the MacBook Air (M1 chip, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) for $899...

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-13 ... 216&sr=1-2
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)
Bernmaster

Post by Bernmaster »

Bought my wife the MacBook M1 for her birthday - she really likes it! If you are using other Apple products I’d just get it for the compatibility.

If you want to go for a different company I think Lenovo notebooks are quite good.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

All I can say is that after five years of using a (desktop) Mac and an (Android) Tablet, my conclusion is that tablets are not computers. I recognize that everyone is trying to converge them, but they are still a long way apart.

It's not just things like better keyboards and bigger screens. The big difference comes if you customarily use many different applications, customarily have a dozen open at anyone one time, and accomplish tasks by fluidly transferring between them. I think iOS is better, but Android has a bunch of weird special-case ways for opening exactly two, no more, applications at the same time and roughly half the applications don't even support it!
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
furwut

Post by furwut »

I’m a big believer in the iPad - for some people, some of the time. I have an iPad Pro (with keyboard cover) and I just recently got the new M1 iMac after not having a PC for several years.

The iPad excels as an around the house consumption device for quickly checking emails, surfing the internet, and reading/watching. Also great for travel to research destinations and restaurants. I believe many people, as I have done, can easily use this as their only computer.

I would not chose to use an iPad, professionally, for hours at a time. The screen is too cramped and iPadOS, though improving, still is clunky when multitasking. One class of road warrior that I’ve read is well adaptable to iPads are writers/reporters.
furwut

Post by furwut »

Barefootgirl wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:52 am A Macbook Air was purchased for me in 2016 and I need to replace it.

Thanks!
If it ain’t broke - don’t fix it they say. So if the MBA has worked for you I’d stick with it and focus on upgrading. The new M1 chip is said to plenty powerful for anyone’s needs outside of serious video editing.
Rainmaker41

Post by Rainmaker41 »

Get a new MacBook Air. If you don’t have huge power needs then just get the entry level one. It’s still amazingly powerful.
80% Global Stock, 20% US Fixed Income
DVMResident

Post by DVMResident »

iPad hardware is awesome but limited by iOS is limited. The iPad file management and switching between apps/split screen still lags the OS means “real” work is just harder to do.

Moreover, the 12” iPad magic keyboard costs a lot $349 and weighs a lot at 1.3 pounds. With all the accessories, the cost and weight isn’t that different from an Air.

The M1 Air is the better choice for most people.
iLikeYams

Post by iLikeYams »

Check online to see if your local best buy has M1 MacBook airs that are Open Box. Some range from the low $800s which is cheaper than buying brand new.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Sandi_k wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:35 pm Finally, I heard through my tech team that there is an issue running two monitors on the M1 chip - the M1 chip-based laptops cannot do it. So if the OP is interested in using external monitors, keep that in mind.
You can do one external monitor, but not two.
whereskyle

Post by whereskyle »

Thanks!
Wife loves her new m1 MacBook Air. We got it souped up a bit, more RAM and the like. It's an all around great laptop. Buying direct from Apple allows you to pay for it over the course of a year at 0% interest.
"I am better off than he is – for he knows nothing and thinks that he knows. I neither know nor think that I know." - Socrates. "Nobody knows nothing." - Jack Bogle
02nz

Post by 02nz »

DVMResident wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:24 am
iPad hardware is awesome but limited by iOS is limited. The iPad file management and switching between apps/split screen still lags the OS means “real” work is just harder to do.

Moreover, the 12” iPad magic keyboard costs a lot $349 and weighs a lot at 1.3 pounds. With all the accessories, the cost and weight isn’t that different from an Air.

The M1 Air is the better choice for most people.
Actually the 12.9-inch iPad with keyboard will be significantly more expensive ($1450 vs $1000 or less) and a bit heavier (3.1 vs 2.8 lbs) than the base MacBook Air, and the base iPad has less storage than the base MBA.

Also worth noting, the iPad's support for external displays is much more limited. It can basically only mirror the iPad's screen (which means almost all monitors will show black bars on the side, other than for videos and photos I believe). You cannot have a browser on an external display and email on iPad display, for example. This is probably the biggest dealbreaker for me when it comes to using an iPad as primary computer.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

iLikeYams wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:29 am Check online to see if your local best buy has M1 MacBook airs that are Open Box. Some range from the low $800s which is cheaper than buying brand new.
Or you can get a brand-new one from Best Buy this week for $800, as long as someone in the house qualifies for the student discount (easy free signup).
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

lazydavid wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:56 am
Sandi_k wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:35 pm Finally, I heard through my tech team that there is an issue running two monitors on the M1 chip - the M1 chip-based laptops cannot do it. So if the OP is interested in using external monitors, keep that in mind.
You can do one external monitor, but not two.
That's what I said.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

I'm on my 2nd MacBook Air and love it. I also have a MacBook Pro which is also excellent.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

delete
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Superleaf444

Post by Superleaf444 »

Fwiw, if you go the new route, lots of back to school specials will be happening soon. Could be worth waiting.

If not, I highly recommend the refurbed section of the apple store.
anoop

Post by anoop »

I have a 2019 Air. I got the new M1 Air but ended up returning it because of eyestrain and headaches. I'm not sure what caused it, but there does seem to be a change in the display.

The 2016 Air is a different machine than the more recent ones. It lacks a retina display, has a bunch of ports that are no longer in the new one, and it has a higher wattage processor. The 2017's (which use the same processor) were known to have better response times in real usage than the 2018/2019 because it didn't have a retina display and had a higher wattage processor and as a result the graphics worked a lot better. With the new M1 Air that issue has been largely addressed (graphics performance), but it's still missing the ports. Completely redesigned Airs are rumored for next year.

You can read more here.
https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/macbook-air/
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-Mac ... 057.0.html

If you do get one, check if it wobbles. A number of users have complained of units that do not sit flat on the table and wobble.
cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj »

Buy the new MacBook Air with the M1 chip.
Dramatically faster and better.
BestBuy has on on sale right now for $800 new.
investor4life

Post by investor4life »

gatorking wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:45 pm Costco. most basic version of MBA is $900. And you get 2 year warranty.
https://www.costco.com/macbooks.html
2+2 years if using the Costco-Citi credit card. (link)
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Barefootgirl wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:52 am The MBA is perfect for my needs - no more, no less.
So buy another Macbook Air.
Please suggest a good place to buy another Macbook Air.
Apple.
Just remember: it's not a lie if you believe it.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

I usually do a lot of research and shopping around for relatively big purchases like a computer. Bought a Macbook Air (M1) about five months ago from Abt. Seems like B&H photo usually has some good deals and a good reputation also. It was a close call between Abt and B&H.

The battery life of the new MB Airs is excellent by the way. I've never timed it, but after a full charge seems like it gives about 20 hours of use before needing charged again.