higher toilet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
egrets

higher toilet

Post by egrets »

I'm going to have the regular toilet replaced with one of those higher toilets that are easier for older people to get on and off of.

Does anyone have recommendations or unrecommendations for brands, features, etc.?

Also, I believe I read somewhere that the newer toilets are not all that compatible with older plumbing (decades older) which might result in pipes having to be replaced in the crawl space, etc. Is that true?

Thanks.
Audioarc

Re: higher toilet

Post by Audioarc »

Kohler 3589 Cimmaron comfort height is a good one. I don’t know if that is the height you are looking for so check the spec
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

Toto Drake-2 or certain models of drake(lower price) as well have universal/comfort height.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
furwut

Post by furwut »

Do not recommend Glacier Bay. Solid waste sticks to the sides.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We've got Kohler comfort heights, and there was no special plumbing needed.
I'm forgetting the model name. One piece.

We like them a lot.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Post by 123 »

furwut wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:28 am Do not recommend Glacier Bay. Solid waste sticks to the sides.
Granted a rationale for negative recommendations is helpful but it still seems like too much information.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

ray.james wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:27 am Toto Drake-2 or certain models of drake(lower price) as well have universal/comfort height.
I put in the basic Toto Drake toilets in a couple of homes I've owned over the years and they are excellent.
sport

Post by sport »

egrets wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:17 am ...one of those higher toilets that are easier for older people to get on and off of.
You should be aware that for short people, they can be more difficult to get on and off.
hudson

Post by hudson »

egrets wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:17 am I'm going to have the regular toilet replaced with one of those higher toilets that are easier for older people to get on and off of.

Does anyone have recommendations or unrecommendations for brands, features, etc.?

Also, I believe I read somewhere that the newer toilets are not all that compatible with older plumbing (decades older) which might result in pipes having to be replaced in the crawl space, etc. Is that true?

Thanks.
Toto DRAKE® TWO-PIECE TOILET, 1.6 GPF, ADA COMPLIANT, ELONGATED BOWLSKU: CST744SL#01
https://www.totousa.com/drake-two-piece ... gated-bowl

I have 2; they work for us old folks. I've had both for nearly 10 years and they are also excellent flushers.
I'd buy them again.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Toto Drake
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Costco member?

Costco has a nice one piece or two piece WaterRidge toilet. High seat. Soft close seat/lid. Two button flush.

Very reasonable price if a Costco member.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
john_nh

Post by john_nh »

I got my father the following toilet several years ago to make it easier for him. He said it is the best toilet he ever owned. Comfortable, especially for people with older knees, no tank condensation and very clog-free were his principal comments. He likes it so much, I recently got him a second one for the other bathroom.

KOHLER Memoirs White Elongated Chair Height 2-Piece WaterSense Toilet 12-in Rough-In Size (ADA Compliant)

https://www.lowes.com/pd/KOHLER-Memoirs ... e/50057975
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

john_nh wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:02 pm I got my father the following toilet several years ago to make it easier for him. He said it is the best toilet he ever owned. Comfortable, especially for people with older knees, no tank condensation and very clog-free were his principal comments. He likes it so much, I recently got him a second one for the other bathroom.

KOHLER Memoirs White Elongated Chair Height 2-Piece WaterSense Toilet 12-in Rough-In Size (ADA Compliant)

https://www.lowes.com/pd/KOHLER-Memoirs ... e/50057975
Gotta love the name!
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

Have you considered something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Medica ... 287&sr=8-5

No plumbing involved, and if you don't like the new height, try another style...
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
vested1

Post by vested1 »

We just installed a Kohler Elmbrook, comfort height, elongated bowl toilet with an included soft close toilet seat. The shorter round bowl toilet was way too small. The only complaint on the new one is that the seat it came with is plastic and feels cheap, so we'll replace it with a soft close wooden model.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-Elmb ... /306031834
anoop

Post by anoop »

egrets wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:17 am I'm going to have the regular toilet replaced with one of those higher toilets that are easier for older people to get on and off of.

Thanks.
It might help if you specify a minimum height that you're looking for, and if there is then update the post.

I see many recommendations for Toto but they don't make anything with a seat height over 18".

I had back problems and the hospital provided a platform seat that was about 21-22".

There are toilets available at that height, but I have no experience with them.
https://www.signaturehardware.com/21-bo ... white.html
Topic Author
egrets

Post by egrets »

bloom2708 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:57 am Costco member?

Costco has a nice one piece or two piece WaterRidge toilet. High seat. Soft close seat/lid. Two button flush.

No Costco in my state.

Thanks everyone.
Topic Author
egrets

Post by egrets »

TexasPE wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:16 pm Have you considered something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Medica ... 287&sr=8-5

No plumbing involved, and if you don't like the new height, try another style...
I have a couple of hacks - thicker seat and thicker thing on top of it. They look awful.
Angangang

Post by Angangang »

Hi!

I installed an "ADA compliant" toilet from American Standard in my condo and liked it so well that I installed two more. My mom saw it and used it and then had one installed at her place as well. It is technically low flow, but you would never know it. This thing generates a powerful flush. I strongly recommend these which run around $159. You can get them round or elongated; I bought the round ones due to size restrictions.

This is it from Lowes:

American Standard Mainstream White Round Chair Height 2-Piece WaterSense Toilet 12-in Rough-In Size (ADA Compliant)
Item #291379Model #3472.128.020
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

bloom2708 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:57 am Costco member?

+1
mkc

Post by mkc »

Toto Drake comfort height, elongated bowl

Be aware there are a couple of different "Drakes", and not all offer the same "payload capacity". With Toto, you choose your seat separately (they don't come with one). Highly recommend a soft-close model.

https://www.map-testing.com/

https://www.map-testing.com/map-search/ ... rch#result
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

egrets wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:17 amI'm going to have the regular toilet replaced with one of those higher toilets that are easier for older people to get on and off of.
Toto and a Toto washlet.

We have this https://www.kbauthority.com/toto-mw6423 ... white.html which is a big higher. Comfortable for me at age 72.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
BoomerM3

Post by BoomerM3 »

Everyone recommended the Toto Drake toilet. And it works very well.
BUT, the flushing sound is horrendous - be aware.
namajones

Post by namajones »

I don't like 'em. The height "advantage" is overblown.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

egrets wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:17 am Does anyone have recommendations or unrecommendations for brands, features, etc.?
No brand recommendation but we got a bidet toilet a few years back. Little did I know I would be sitting on a "goldmine" come the Great Toilet Paper Shortage of 2020.
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

I replaced all three miniature toilets in my house with Kohler Hi-lines. And I couldn’t be happier with them. Very deep oval seat, super strong flush, slow-fall seat. And of course they are taller so easier to get up and down.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

furwut wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:28 am Do not recommend Glacier Bay. Solid waste sticks to the sides.
I had three Glacier Bay toilets installed in a master bath remodel last year and they have no issues at all.

While the plumber was replacing the toilet in the master bath I had the other two toilets replaced as well. All are the higher ADA, and all are "power flush" Glacier Bay models.

We haven't had any klingon issues at all, they all work great. They do have a loud flush sound, but they work flawlessly. $149 each at Home Depot. Plumber charged $90 each for installing the two that weren't part of the remodel.

DW's new knees love the the new toilets. She is 5'10" tall, additional height good for her.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

We installed a mid-range Koehler last year. Love it, but I think most of them are pretty good now.

As far as installation in an older home, the center of the standard rough in should be 12” from the finished back wall. My 90+ year old house has that, so I assume that’s been the standard for a very, very long time. If you have a normal looking toilet in there now, I’m sure the new one will fit just fine.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:40 pm
I had three Glacier Bay toilets installed in a master bath remodel last year and they have no issues at all.

While the plumber was replacing the toilet in the master bath I had the other two toilets replaced as well. All are the higher ADA, and all are "power flush" Glacier Bay models.

We haven't had any klingon issues at all, they all work great. They do have a loud flush sound, but they work flawlessly. $149 each at Home Depot. Plumber charged $90 each for installing the two that weren't part of the remodel.

DW's new knees love the the new toilets. She is 5'10" tall, additional height good for her.

Broken Man 1999
Our plumber changed our two toilets out to tall Glacier Bays a few years ago. No issues at all with either one. We were pleasantly surprised at how much better we both liked the increase in height. I was really shocked that 5'5" DW appreciated the additional height.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

I find that the new "WaterSense" certified toilets (1.28gpf) pretty much all work well whether they sit low or high. They pass a fairly rigorous testing process that involves passing soy-paste "sausages" through flushing cycles. This process is a good simulation and generally helps assure they work well. Ignore golf ball tests. Who flushes golf balls?

As for old plumbing not working... A lot of that concern was from a previous generation of air-charged toilets that blasted waste through the outlet plumbing. The worry was it could cause problems with weak connections. There was also a concern that 1.28 gpf would get hung-up in older plumbing. In most cases, these concerns don't apply. I would first try the toilets and monitor before worrying about the situation in the crawl space, unless it is really, really old (60+ years) in which case any fixture, including your current one, could be a problem.

I personally have two different types of American Standard toilets that are WaterSense certified. I got these about 10 years ago when our city gave a kick-back for installing them. They made an immediate impact in my bill. They work normally with gravity and do the job well.
cartophile

Post by cartophile »

We got two of the Kohler Cimarron Comfort Height with elongated bowl.
We are very glad we did. They work well and the extra few inches of height really helps.
Model K-22908 from Lowe's came with a soft-close lid.
Supergrover

Post by Supergrover »

mkc wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:55 pm Toto Drake comfort height, elongated bowl

Be aware there are a couple of different "Drakes", and not all offer the same "payload capacity". With Toto, you choose your seat separately (they don't come with one). Highly recommend a soft-close model.

“No brand recommendation but we got a bidet toilet a few years back. Little did I know I would be sitting on a "goldmine" come the Great Toilet Paper Shortage of 2020.”

These comments are better than the financial advice!
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:13 pm We were pleasantly surprised at how much better we both liked the increase in height. I was really shocked that 5'5" DW appreciated the additional height.
I'm 5'4" and I love the comfort height.
After several years having them at home, whenever we are elsewhere, such as traveling, when I find a "regular height" toilet, I do NOT like those at all anymore.
However, someone shorter may want to try one in a showroom. (Note: I did that, and initially hated the comfort height; felt like I was a child with legs dangling off an adult chair - sort of, but not quite! But after not long at all using one, I wouldn't go back, not voluntarily anyway.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
MJS

Post by MJS »

sport wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:47 am
egrets wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:17 am ...one of those higher toilets that are easier for older people to get on and off of.
You should be aware that for short people, they can be more difficult to get on and off.
+1
There's quite a range of heights, with mostly standard terminology:
..... Add one inch for standard lid.
Standard height = 15"
Comfort height = 16-17"
Tall = 18-20". Difficult for short people.
Very Tall = 20+". Requires advanced acrobatic skills.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

It seems like I'm one of the minority who does not like the taller toilets we got when we moved into our new place about 10 years ago. I prefer the lower models, for some reason--just more comfortable. I'm 5'8" and have done squats for decades so that getting up and down on chairs and toilets wouldn't be an issue as I aged. My wife is about 5'3" and prefers the taller toilets (she chose them). Different strokes.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

I recommend you educate yourself on the many types of toilets and issues involved at the MaP site here: https://www.map-testing.com/

After that hit the search button to filter the many parameters involved with choosing a toilet.

They test hundreds of models and assign a score based on how well they flush. Choose one with a 3 inch flapper and maximum trapway for best flushing.

I choose a low one for myself and a higher one for my companion because she had problems. Now that I am a lot older I regret not getting a higher one for myself. Splashing may be a problem with the lower models as it is with mine.

My city gave a substantial rebate for purchasing low flow toilets so check that angle too.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

EZ James wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:15 am I recommend you educate yourself on the many types of toilets and issues involved at the MaP site here: https://www.map-testing.com/

After that hit the search button to filter the many parameters involved with choosing a toilet.

They test hundreds of models and assign a score based on how well they flush. Choose one with a 3 inch flapper and maximum trapway for best flushing.

I choose a low one for myself and a higher one for my companion because she had problems. Now that I am a lot older I regret not getting a higher one for myself. Splashing may be a problem with the lower models as it is with mine.

My city gave a substantial rebate for purchasing low flow toilets so check that angle too.
Very nice resource! I mentioned WaterSense before, and they use elements of MaP, but MaP publishes a lot more detail. MaP also provides a source for the soybean paste should you want to do your own testing. :twisted:
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Not to hijack this thread but I'm a huge fan of Toto toilets after purchasing my first one 10 yrs ago. I'd like to replace another but there's a bewildering array of models and I'm stuck in "paralysis analysis". Is there a web site that simplify the buying process a bit? Even when I plug my criteria into MaP, it comes up with37 Toto models.
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

You need to tighten the filter. For "Criteria" the default is all. Change to MaP Premium. That reduced my findings for Toto from 31 to 14.

Then download the pdf for further detail. Eliminate all those with a Rated Effective Flush Volume less than 1.1.

It will continue to be confusing so you will need to research the Toto website for additional details and pictures.
Bogle7

Toto selection.

Post by Bogle7 »

LifeIsGood wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:39 am I'm a huge fan of Toto… there's a bewildering array of models and I'm stuck in "paralysis analysis". Is there [help] simplify the buying process a bit?
Yes.
A local specialty store. In our case, a design center.
That is what we did.
Spent over an hour getting help from an expert.
Price was same as buying online.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

EZ James & Bogle 7 - thank you both for your feedback.
rivercrosser

Post by rivercrosser »

I put one of these in a few years back. Best one I've ever installed. The only thing is, its noisy. Sounds like it could swallow you whole.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/American-St ... /312442216
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Jazztonight wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:53 pm It seems like I'm one of the minority who does not like the taller toilets we got when we moved into our new place about 10 years ago. I prefer the lower models, for some reason--just more comfortable. I'm 5'8" and have done squats for decades so that getting up and down on chairs and toilets wouldn't be an issue as I aged. My wife is about 5'3" and prefers the taller toilets (she chose them). Different strokes.
When we did the bathroom, my fit but 74 year old wife insisted, vocally, on comfort height (or as they call it around here, “chair height”). We got it, and she *loves* it. She wants to replace the one in the spare bathroom now. My younger and fitter 5’4” self cannot, for the life of me, tell the difference. It’s all much ado about nothing to me. Go figure.

If it keeps the wife happy though, it’s all good.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

If the current low toilet has a correspondingly low tank, and if it is situated under a shelf or other overhang, then be careful about having enough space to be able to remove the tank top to do maintenance with the new higher-seat toilet.

In case that's your situation, the wonderful answer is the Kohler Santa Rosa model. It has a high seat and a low back tank enabled by being a single-piece toilet. It's an engineering marvel - can't go wrong with it.
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

Toto toilets are great. I put one in our powder room after the old one (Mansfield) kept getting clogged. My wife jokes that you could flush a watermelon with a Toto.
elle

Post by elle »

Our latest house has Toto toilets. I didn’t understand before but now I do. Go Toto and pick one of the comfort height toilets. You will be set. 😂
Reamus294

Post by Reamus294 »

Toto ultra max II double cyclone 1-piece elongated. That’s a mouthful after typing it. We have an older toto promenade that works great but the flushing of the newer ultra max is much better. I can’t believe it uses only 1.2 gal.
Topic Author
egrets

Post by egrets »

namajones wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:59 pm

I don't like 'em. The height "advantage" is overblown.
Wait until you're elderly and have arthritis and can't get off a standard height toilet.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

If getting up and down is the issue, perhaps a look at installing grab bars in the appropriate places may help in addition to, or in lieu of a higher toilet.
How high is too high. There are anatomical issues here regarding proper position for such endeavors.