Life expectancy lowered [U.S. Life Expectancy Fell By 1.5 Years In 2020]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
CABob

Life expectancy lowered [U.S. Life Expectancy Fell By 1.5 Years In 2020]

Post by CABob »

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... w-ii-covid
I see that the life expectancy has been decreased. I wonder if this might affect the RMD requirements? Probably not.
Bob
TheDoctor91

Re: Life expectancy lowered

Post by TheDoctor91 »

Very sad, very unfortunate the suffering that so many are going through at the hands of addiction.

If you ex out drugs, it’s not as bad. Stay away from drugs, exercise, eat some plants, and you’ll probably live a very long life.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

That's a pretty dramatic decrease.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

The new RMD tables that take effect next year come about 15 years after the previous revision. I doubt the IRS will be in any hurry to revise them again.

Also, the "headline" life expectancy is measured from birth. For RMD purposes, what matters IIRC is the life expectancy for people who have already survived to age 70 onwards. Isn't the Covid vaccination rate something like 85% for people above age 65?
It's "Roth", not "ROTH". Senator William Roth was a person, not an acronym.
phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 »

TheDoctor91 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:26 pm Very sad, very unfortunate the suffering that so many are going through at the hands of addiction.

If you ex out drugs, it’s not as bad. Stay away from drugs, exercise, eat some plants, and you’ll probably live a very long life.
The point of the article is that COVID caused the decrease. You’re right that drugs have been a background issue pulling it down for years now but not nearly as significant in one year as the pandemic.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

The headline of the referenced article is:
“U.S. Life Expectancy Fell By 1.5 Years In 2020, The Biggest Drop Since WWII“

Watch for an article about this time in 2022 with a headline something like:
“US Life Expectancy Rose in 2021 By The Largest Amount Since Records Have Been Kept”

The decrease in life expectancy in 2020 was substantially caused by additional COVID deaths, which are likely to be much lower in 2021. The sharp decrease in life expectancy in 2020 should be a one-year phenomenon.

Let’s see if the news media reports the expected “good” news in 2022 as widely as they report the “bad” news in 2021.
It's a GREAT day to be alive! - Travis Tritt
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

CABob wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:13 pm https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... w-ii-covid
I see that the life expectancy has been decreased. I wonder if this might affect the RMD requirements? Probably not.
Probably not.
Just remember: it's not a lie if you believe it.
Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 »

Stinky wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:37 am The headline of the referenced article is:
“U.S. Life Expectancy Fell By 1.5 Years In 2020, The Biggest Drop Since WWII“

Watch for an article about this time in 2022 with a headline something like:
“US Life Expectancy Rose in 2021 By The Largest Amount Since Records Have Been Kept”

The decrease in life expectancy in 2020 was substantially caused by additional COVID deaths, which are likely to be much lower in 2021. The sharp decrease in life expectancy in 2020 should be a one-year phenomenon.

Let’s see if the news media reports the expected “good” news in 2022 as widely as they report the “bad” news in 2021.
I will if I live till then.
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

Exercising is a big part of this, an enormous percentage of Americans barely get themselves moving at all. Last yr only made it worse, Uber eats, grocery delivery, Amazon. If you walk 30-40 minutes per day min. even if a bit overweight its life changing.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Life expectancy lowered [U.S. Life Expectancy Fell By 1.5 Years In 2020]

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a post and reply conjecturing on dietary lifestyle vs. life expectancy. This thread has run its course and is locked (derailed on causes of life expectancy reduction). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Life expectancy lowered [U.S. Life Expectancy Fell By 1.5 Years In 2020]

Post by LadyGeek »

A member requested that an article that puts the report in context be added to the discussion. This will help folks understand the source of the data and how to interpret it (in particular, the method used is not appropriate to compare with RMD and SS tables for example).

See: CDC estimated a one-year decline in life expectancy in 2020. Not so — try five days

(Thread remains locked.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.