How Do You Transfer Larger Amount Funds Between Institutions?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
PGR

How Do You Transfer Larger Amount Funds Between Institutions?

Post by PGR »

Use case - assembling a larger amount of money like 6 figures from multiple sources and delivering to a lending institution for a house down payment...

I found out some banks when originating online electronic funds transfers - only allow $5k to/from other institutions for which have been previously 'linked' to the account. The only real option for larger amounts would be a 'wire' transfer with a fee, forms, etc.

By comparison - it appears from a Vanguard brokerage act via their EBT feature (electronic bank transfer), they don't impose such a limit and one can push/pull much larger (6-figures?) amounts to/from a linked bank account elsewhere.

In the use case of say assembling a large sum for a down payment on a home at some lender's institution, the issue arises as to an efficient and safe method for assembling and delivering funds to a lender bank institution. Seems a VG brokerage account as the central 'hub' to accumulate for various other accounts and then delivering to a linked lender institution might be a good solution...

Maybe some banks don't impose limits like the $5k I've encountered.

Maybe wires are OK but in my case it would be multiple wires each with paperwork and fees? There's also good old fashioned checks via registered mail.

OTOH Probably should be some concern about making these things 'too easy' from a defensive/security standpoint...

Curious how others approach transferring larger sums across differing institutions...
Faith20879

Re: How Do You Transfer Larger Amount Funds Between Institutions?

Post by Faith20879 »

PGR wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:52 pm
Maybe wires are OK but in my case it would be multiple wires each with paperwork and fees? There's also good old fashioned checks via registered mail.
You may want to check with you banks. Some of our banks do not have a wiring charge, in or out.

Last time when we did this, we wrote a check from each incoming account, deposited to the destination account, waited a few days, then wrote a check from that account to the agent. Not elegant but it worked.
goingup

Post by goingup »

If I had multiple sources (different brokerages) I would ACH what I needed to my checking account. I would have all the money gathered and in place at least a week in advance of when I needed it. (Things can go wrong.) Then I would wire from my bank to the lending institution.
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

I recently closed on a house sale, and in chatting with the closer found out that they are no longer accepting incoming wires from buyers. A couple of their buyers had their down payments stolen by fraudsters pretending to be the closing company.

Given what I heard, I'd be getting a cashier's check and physically delivering it to the closing company for future transactions.
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

goingup wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:12 pm If I had multiple sources (different brokerages) I would ACH what I needed to my checking account. I would have all the money gathered and in place at least a week in advance of when I needed it. (Things can go wrong.) Then I would wire from my bank to the lending institution.
+1. When we did our last house down payment, I transferred in some Fidelity money weeks ahead of time to my Ally savings account. This was an ACH transfer with a $100k limit and no fee (I made it just barely with a single transfer). When we did the transfer for the down payment itself, the instructions were for wire transfer, not ACH. Ally charged for the wire transfer. I don't know if there was a limit there or not, if there was it was much higher than I needed.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

How much lead time and what amounts are we talking about?

Spread the ACH transfers out or just write a check from one account to another.

Some data points:
Fidelity ACH out is actually same day at end of day. Say if you transfer out of Fido at 10AM Eastern, it shows up at receiving bank before 5 and 6PM. Then again Fido wires are free.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

I have moved large amounts, greater than $100K, thru Wells Fargo with no issues. ACH push from 1st into Wells, then an ACH pull by 2nd.

These were long established (years) transfer points. #1 required me to call since it was greater than the $50K they allowed via online. It sat 2 or 3 days in Wells as I wanted everything to clear/complete. Pull by #2 was done via online. #2 would have allowed a trade immediately . I waited 2 days to use the $. I don't don't believe in pushing the transfer envelope.

18 month's ago, son bought a house. He sent all the funds to Wells Fargo and on the day of close got a cashier's check and hand delivered it to the Title Company.
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

PGR wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:52 pm
I found out some banks when originating online electronic funds transfers - only allow $5k to/from other institutions for which have been previously 'linked' to the account. The only real option for larger amounts would be a 'wire' transfer with a fee, forms, etc.
Is that actually what your bank told you when you called them and asked? Every bank I've ever worked with had a way to temporarily raise the limit to allow large transfers when I called and spoke to a customer service agent. Though I admit I've only worked with a few banks so I suppose there are some that won't do that.
Money Market

Post by Money Market »

I just write a check. It never fails.
VTSAX and chill.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Does Fidelity have an outbound wire limit?
Opinika

Post by Opinika »

I believe Fidelity's outbound limit is $100,000/day.

As I recall, their instructions say to speak with someone for larger amounts.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

goingup wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:12 pm If I had multiple sources (different brokerages) I would ACH what I needed to my checking account. I would have all the money gathered and in place at least a week in advance of when I needed it. (Things can go wrong.) Then I would wire from my bank to the lending institution.
Personally I would give it MORE than one week.

The people buying my mom's house triggered Patriot Act scrutiny when moving cash due to his name. His name was a common name (such as John Smith). He was a Vietnam vet. He was VERY unhappy. Delayed closing by two days while the powers that be went through the process to figure out he wasn't the John Smith they were interested in.
desconhecido

Post by desconhecido »

We were scheduled to close on purchase on Apr 12. exact amount unknown, but were confidant we could close on Apr 30 if all the little details could be attended to. Transferred $190k from Vanguard brokerage to Chase checking (ACH I assume) on Mar 24. On Apr 29 went to Chase for a Cashier's check in the final settlement amount. Closed Ap3 30, not a problem.

My experience with ACH transfers among USAA, Vanguard, Schwab and Chase has been trouble free. Last july, transferred $380k from Schwab to Vanguard via USAA in $25k to $50k chunks with no problem.
theduke

Post by theduke »

Did you go the bank and ask? Online my bank has limits, but I went in and had them transfer funds for a closing.
Scotttheking

Post by Scotttheking »

Opinika wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:51 am I believe Fidelity's outbound limit is $100,000/day.

As I recall, their instructions say to speak with someone for larger amounts.
100k online, higher via phone for Fido.

When closing, settlement company had me call and verify the wire instructions before sending to avoid fraud.
oyster99

Post by oyster99 »

nordsteve wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:15 pm I recently closed on a house sale, and in chatting with the closer found out that they are no longer accepting incoming wires from buyers. A couple of their buyers had their down payments stolen by fraudsters pretending to be the closing company.
How come wire transfers don't do the initial few cents trial deposit like they do when you set up ACH transfers? I'm not exactly sure how fraudsters pretended to be the title company, but wouldn't a mutual, up-front trial wire transfer of a few pennies, confirmed by each side, make it so this sort of fraud can't happen?

How would this type of fraud work?
Can random people create transient routing numbers for wire transfers, or is there a registry of validated wire transfer routing numbers?
MrJedi

Post by MrJedi »

I've noticed traditional B&M banks and credit unions often have small daily ACH limits when you initiate on their side, like 5-20k.

Online banks like Ally, Discover, etc. seem to let you do much more, like 100k. Note that if you initiate from the side with the higher limit, you can get around the smaller limit. Those limits are for the initiating institution.

Also as noted, brokers like Fidelity seem to have much higher limits as well. Fidelity ACH is very fast in my experience, posting either same day or next morning.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

When I asked VG, they said they would transfer up to $10million (!) by EBT. My regional bank had no limit for incoming by EBT (Fifth Third). A limit of $5k seems very low, but I think is probably just the funds availability hold. Here's a good summary of reg cc:
https://www.forbes.com/advisor/banking/ ... k-account/

I don't think they can hold above $5k for electronic transfers or cash, so some banks might just put a restriction on it above that limit for those limits to protect themselves.

Post by 123 »

Paper checks sent through regular US mail still work very well for us. You've got to plan ahead a bit to allow for mail time and check clearing but it's a simple one-and-done for each account involved. Wires and/or multiple ACH (due to transaction limits) sometimes involve tedious procedures.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

oyster99 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:04 am
nordsteve wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:15 pm I recently closed on a house sale, and in chatting with the closer found out that they are no longer accepting incoming wires from buyers. A couple of their buyers had their down payments stolen by fraudsters pretending to be the closing company.
How come wire transfers don't do the initial few cents trial deposit like they do when you set up ACH transfers? I'm not exactly sure how fraudsters pretended to be the title company, but wouldn't a mutual, up-front trial wire transfer of a few pennies, confirmed by each side, make it so this sort of fraud can't happen?

How would this type of fraud work?
Can random people create transient routing numbers for wire transfers, or is there a registry of validated wire transfer routing numbers?
1. Select a bank account to use
2. Acquire contact info of sellers
3. Contact sellers pretending to be the closing company, and send them the fake account information.
4. Wait for money to show up in account
5. Wire transfers are generally available immediately, so go to bank and get the money

Given the size of the payoff, it doesn't have to work very often to be lucrative. I'm deliberately vague about how a couple of the steps work.
Topic Author
PGR

Post by PGR »

desconhecido wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:04 am My experience with ACH transfers among USAA, Vanguard, Schwab and Chase has been trouble free. Last july, transferred $380k from Schwab to Vanguard via USAA in $25k to $50k chunks with no problem.
Question: How did you get $25-50k thru using USAA w/o a problem? I looked closely at USAA a couple years ago.

I looked closely at USAA a couple years ago and was pretty disappointed. They limit online initiated electronic transfer (ACH) to linked outside institutions to $5k/day. That was on their website at the time and confirmed by phone. Now their website says to 'call' to find out the limit. I did - and it's still $5k/day as of today.

USAA on tellers checks gave me contradictory information initially but ultimately confirmed they no longer do tellers checks.

They do wires for $40. It's slow and tedious and, well, it's $40.

From what I can tell USAAs mobile app limits online deposits via phone camera img of check to $50k/day. (say for example a large paper check at closing)
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

I had Vanguard transfer just under 100K from my credit union. I did have to link the account.

I had Vanguard transfer $50K from a TIAA Roth into a Vanguard Roth
no linking.

When I bought my current house over 2 decades ago, I just wrote a 24K check for the down payment.

My son will be writing a $50 K + check tomorrow for his down payment.

From bank or Credit Union, why not a check?
Topic Author
PGR

Post by PGR »

Vanguard may be the solution. It appears I can push/pull plenty (someone posted $10m?) to/from outside bank accounts from VG MM funds.

That or find a different bank - maybe an internet bank. Mine has paltry limits it seems.

How do title companies typically handle large funds coming to a seller? Do they cut a paper check? ACH? Wire (w/ a fee)?
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

I've done 250k with Fido and 200k with VG, there is no artificial/universal 100k limit, but maybe it depends how long you've had an account, or how well funded it is

Wires are also free from Fido
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

I transferred over 100k to Ally very easily. Their listed ACH transfer limit is .... incoming $500k per day (1,000,000/month) .... outgoing $150k per day (600k/month).

Francis
Last edited by fsrph on Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Duplicate
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

I just write a check and electronically deposit it. No problem so far.
MrJedi

Post by MrJedi »

I've noticed that B&M banks and credit unions tend to have pretty limited ACH origination limits.

Online banks like Ally tend to allow much more.

AFAIK the limit is only based on the side originating the transfer, so if you have a bank with a 5k limit, you can actually move more than that to/from that bank if you originate on the other side with a higher limit bank. I believe this is because the side originating the transfer takes liability.

I like Fidelity, very high ACH (they call it EFT) limits and very fast. Typically posting same day or next day if done late in the day. Also free wires as mentioned earlier.
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

It’s been a while, but I had no trouble wiring large (six figures) from my credit union checking for our house down payment by going into the branch. Are you sure the limits apply if you do the wire in-person?

As you mentioned, Brokerages don’t seem to have such wire limits online and you can negotiate to have them waive wire fees forever. Much easier to move things around now that I use my brokerage and linked checking account for all large purchases.
desconhecido

Post by desconhecido »

PGR wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:29 pm
desconhecido wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:04 am My experience with ACH transfers among USAA, Vanguard, Schwab and Chase has been trouble free. Last july, transferred $380k from Schwab to Vanguard via USAA in $25k to $50k chunks with no problem.
Question: How did you get $25-50k thru using USAA w/o a problem? I looked closely at USAA a couple years ago.

I looked closely at USAA a couple years ago and was pretty disappointed. They limit online initiated electronic transfer (ACH) to linked outside institutions to $5k/day. That was on their website at the time and confirmed by phone. Now their website says to 'call' to find out the limit. I did - and it's still $5k/day as of today.

USAA on tellers checks gave me contradictory information initially but ultimately confirmed they no longer do tellers checks.

They do wires for $40. It's slow and tedious and, well, it's $40.

From what I can tell USAAs mobile app limits online deposits via phone camera img of check to $50k/day. (say for example a large paper check at closing)
The daily ACH transfer limit -- that is a good question. Recently tried to transfer more than $5000 from USAA and they wouldn't let me. I called to ask why and they said there is a $5000 limit. Asked why and where did that come from. They told me it was always there. When I pointed out that in 2020 I had made multiple transfers in excess of that they couldn't explain it and I can't explain it either. Mobile depost on our account appears to be $100k/day. Been a USAA member since 1973 and we've done almost all our banking with USAA for more than 20 years and never had an issue until that last transfer attempt. I'm not happy about it, but probably not unhappy enough to do anything about it.

Earlier this year did a $190k ACH transfer from Vanguard to a Chase account and then got a cashier's check for a closing. No issues anywhere. Also, wire transfer from a sales closing back to the Vanguard account without difficulty.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Be aware that some banks/brokerages have lower limits for new customers. This limit may be particularly lower on the withdrawal end. I have also had a longer holding period between a deposit and withdrawal for larger amounts on a new account. In other words, you could collect all the funds in a newish account and be unable to make the transfer in the time period required.

Your B & M has a $5000 limit for outgoing ACH transfers. But is there a limit for incoming ACH deposits that are initiated as a push from the outside institution? I did not think that was a thing.

One option: See if you can push all the funds via ACH to your B&M. Then go to the B&M to get the cashiers check or initiate the wire transfer. Definitely do not wait until the last minute because you are concerned with losing some possible interest or cap gain.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

PGR wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:52 pm Use case - assembling a larger amount of money like 6 figures from multiple sources and delivering to a lending institution for a house down payment...

[....]

By comparison - it appears from a Vanguard brokerage act via their EBT feature (electronic bank transfer), they don't impose such a limit and one can push/pull much larger (6-figures?) amounts to/from a linked bank account elsewhere.

In the use case of say assembling a large sum for a down payment on a home at some lender's institution, the issue arises as to an efficient and safe method for assembling and delivering funds to a lender bank institution. Seems a VG brokerage account as the central 'hub' to accumulate for various other accounts and then delivering to a linked lender institution might be a good solution...

[....]
This is what we do. We have a VG taxable for savings and a brick bank for monthly cash flows & to transfer funds to if we need a cashier's check or other check. When I asked VG what the limit was for transfer (also for a house down payment) they said their limit for ACH out was $10 million.... we will be safe. :P

The incoming bank, Fifth Third, indicated they had no incoming limits or holds if the names on the account matched. Which I think VG requires anyways to link accounts.

Some people may like the convenience of an all in one institution, but we don't mind this setup especially as it's all online. We like VG for the automatic investments to our funds for savings each month.
Topic Author
PGR

Post by PGR »

desconhecido wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:45 pm The daily ACH transfer limit -- that is a good question. Recently tried to transfer more than $5000 from USAA and they wouldn't let me. I called to ask why and they said there is a $5000 limit. Asked why and where did that come from. They told me it was always there. When I pointed out that in 2020 I had made multiple transfers in excess of that they couldn't explain it and I can't explain it either. Mobile depost on our account appears to be $100k/day. Been a USAA member since 1973 and we've done almost all our banking with USAA for more than 20 years and never had an issue until that last transfer attempt. I'm not happy about it, but probably not unhappy enough to do anything about it.

Earlier this year did a $190k ACH transfer from Vanguard to a Chase account and then got a cashier's check for a closing. No issues anywhere. Also, wire transfer from a sales closing back to the Vanguard account without difficulty.
You're memory is correct. in the past USAA 'used to' have MUCH higher ACH limits to outside linked institutions. The $5k limit has *NOT* 'always' been there.

USAA FSB is effectively an internet bank and was one of the first (yes, they have an HQ and 'some' B&M facilities). Heck USAA even did 'computer banking' in the 90s before the internet was popularized via dial-up modems.

Via pushing and pulling between linked accounts, brokerages (see above, such as VG, et al) are an effective solution for moving larger sums around. That or some of the newer internet banks.

Good information - appreciation everyone sharing on this subject
SunnySideUp

Post by SunnySideUp »

MrJedi wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:06 am I've noticed that B&M banks and credit unions tend to have pretty limited ACH origination limits.

Online banks like Ally tend to allow much more.

AFAIK the limit is only based on the side originating the transfer, so if you have a bank with a 5k limit, you can actually move more than that to/from that bank if you originate on the other side with a higher limit bank. I believe this is because the side originating the transfer takes liability.
I realize it has been 10 months since your comment, but: thank you (and the other thread contributors) for this useful information! In case it helps the next person, my experience over the past 2 weeks aligns fully: I just ACH-transferred $100K from NFCU (which has very low limits when originating outbound ACH transfers) to Ally in 2 ACH transfers separated by 7 calendar days. I initiated both ACH transfers from Ally, pulling from NFCU Money Market Savings to Ally Savings.

Aside: the automated messaging I've received from NFCU pursuant to the execution of these transfers has been notably matter-of-fact, with none of the usual "Warning! If you did not originate this transfer, please contact us immediately!" boilerplate. This aligns with them bearing no liability for this transfer.