What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ruralavalon

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by ruralavalon »

pezblanco wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:19 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:17 am 1620, by Peter W.Wood.

The subtitle is: "A Critical Response to The 1619 Project ". The book outlines some of the factual innaccuracies, misrepresentations, misinterpretations and hyperbole of the 1619 Project.

I had hoped it would be more focused on discussion of historical fact and evidence rather than on political analysis of the motives of the 1619 Project authors and promoters. Not recommended.
I agree with your assessment. It's too bad since the 1619 Project is something that needs a clearly written, stick to the history, refutation.
Do you have any recommendation for a better book on this subject?
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

Madhouse at the End of the Earth: The Belgica's Journey into the Dark Antarctic Night, by Julian Sancton.

Fascinating account of the 1897-99 Antarctic expedition. The ship spent an entire Antarctic winter frozen in sea ice, with dire consequences for the crew. Recommended.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Just finished "Vanished" by Joseph Heller....sort of like Jack Reacher. It was ok.

Currently reading "Black Smoke, African Americans and the United States of Barbecue" by Adrian Miller. Slow read for me, similar to making BBQ - I read for awhile, get hungry and put the book down. Part cookbook, part restaurant review, and part African American history book...I am enjoying it.

Next up is the Michael Lewis Pandemic book...

Ed
engine37

Post by engine37 »

Just finished "Monster of the Midway" about Bronko Nagurski's career in the NFL and the legendary Chicago Bears of the 30's and 40's. Great book - makes today's NFL players seem almost feminine...
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

I recently ran across Passion for Reality: the Extraordinary Life of Investing Pioneer Paul Cabot.

Though published in 2014, a casual forum search reveal that the book has not hit the collective radar screen of this forum, despite the fact that Jack Bogle wrote the foreword for the book and praised it lavishly.

There was an engaging short preview published by the author available: here.

The New York Times obituary for Mr. Cabot claims that he started the first mutual fund, which sounds arguable. Jack Bogle agreed in the foreword that Cabot's fund was indeed "the first at least by one measure, the date it started operations [in 1924]." In any event, Cabot was indeed one of the pioneers and he was deeply involved in helping to create the regulatory and tax structure in the 1930s that allowed the industry to survive and eventually to flourish. I am also pretty fascinated by the history of Boston at that time and it does seem that Boston Brahmins (like Cabot) were very important in nurturing the infant industry.

Although published by the very reputable Columbia University Press, the book does not seem to be available in any nearby academic or public library to which I have easy access, so I decided to order it from Amazon.

I am wondering if anyone else has read it?
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

Slogging through Malazan Book of the Fallen. I keep hearing it's the greatest fantasy series ever... but 2 books deep and I'm struggling to like it.
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

Timex: A Company and its Community 1854-1998

The House that Bogle Built: How John Bogle and Vanguard Reinvented the Mutual Fund Industry

A Man and his Watch

Addicted to Americana: Celebrating Classic & Kitschy American Life & Style
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

My neighbor turned 90 and is getting rid of his library. He had a copy of The Lords Commissioners of Trade and Plantations Commonly Known as the Board of Trade (1748-1782[, by Arthur Herbert Basye, 1925 edition. When I saw it, I remembered reading a letter from George Mason from the 1760's to the Board of Trade complaining that they treated the colonists as children. And so, I am reading it.

I like old books and original sources. This is not an original source, but it is difficult to find information on the Board of Trade which was as important, perhaps more important, to the colonial economies than Parliament.

Alas, most folks don't like what I read.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

BalancedJCB19 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:35 am A Man and his Watch
Thanks, I added it to my wish list. Father’s Day is tomorrow in a week, you know.
Mr. Rumples wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:55 am Alas, most folks don't like what I read.
I like such books. I’m currently reading The Diary of Samuel Pepys , an entry a day. It will take me ten years to complete. My reading list leans heavily on the nineteenth century.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quod natura non patitur vacuum.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Reading from that era can be laborious sometimes. I have been lugging around an old edition of The Works of Samuel Johnson since the 1980's...I'll never finish it. On the other hand, the 1,500 pages of the papers of The Official Papers of Francis Fauquier, Lieutenant Governor of Virginia, 1758-1768 were fascinating and I still refer to them on occasion. It was interesting to see correspondence from an almost obsequious young George Washington to Fauquier and of course the insight into colonial Virginia government.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

^^^ I’ll try to find Fauquier‘s papers, thanks for the tip. Amazon has it used for $42 but I’ll try to read it for free first. It’s not online and my local library system doesn’t carry it, but my relative is a member of a big university library and I can try that route.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

sureshoe wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:24 am Slogging through Malazan Book of the Fallen. I keep hearing it's the greatest fantasy series ever... but 2 books deep and I'm struggling to like it.
I tried twice to get through the first Malazan book and just lost bogged down. The book seems overly convoluted and dense, and not all that well structured; with not one character that I could identify with. I don't want to waste my time reading something where I need copious notes to track the numerous plot lines and characters. I also don't think the writing was all that great either, unpolished and muddled. Only the fan-boys are calling it the "...greatest fantasy of all time...". The guy comes off as some Gene Wolfe wanna-be but lacking Wolfe's talent.
LinearRange

Post by LinearRange »

I recently finished A Worse Place Than Hell: How the Civil War Battle of Fredericksburg Changed a Nation by John Matteson.

It's a cultural/social history of the Civil War, viewing it through the battle of Fredericksburg and through the lives of five people affected by the experience. Three of the people are well known - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Louisa May Alcott & Walt Whitman. The other two are lesser known & unknown.

It's part biography, part history. It's interesting to see people's attitudes toward the war and how it profoundly shaped them. I'm not a Civil War buff (I read Doris Goodwin's Team of Rivals ~5 years ago and have picked up a few Civil War books since then), but I found it quite readable and interesting.
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:15 am
BalancedJCB19 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:35 am A Man and his Watch
Thanks, I added it to my wish list. Father’s Day is tomorrow you know.
Mr. Rumples wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:55 am Alas, most folks don't like what I read.
I like such books. I’m currently reading The Diary of Samuel Pepys , an entry a day. It will take me ten years to complete. My reading list leans heavily on the nineteenth century.
Cool. Yeah, a Man and his watch is a fun book with amazing stories behind them and great photos. My favorites were the sentimental journey many of them held and how the history of the watch was as much a part of the story as the watch itself. It's something a watch lover like myself was really able to relate to. Enjoy!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

BalancedJCB19 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:42 am Cool. Yeah, a Man and his watch is a fun book with amazing stories behind them and great photos. My favorites were the sentimental journey many of them held and how the history of the watch was as much a part of the story as the watch itself. It's something a watch lover like myself was really able to relate to. Enjoy!
Yes I’m a watch aficionado myself. I own six or seven pieces but none are expensive, the costliest one set me back about $450. I’d own more expensive pieces except I’m married. I looked at the preview on Amazon and the book looks good. The story of Paul Newman’s Daytona Rolex is interesting. His wife, the famous actress Joanne Woodward, bought it at Tiffany’s (supposedly) for around $300 in 1968/69, a time I have a clear memory of, and it was sold at auction a short while back for in excess of $17 million. Her engraving is amusing. I must say though, I think it’s ugly, as I don’t like two-tone watches with subdials.
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:05 pm
BalancedJCB19 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:42 am Cool. Yeah, a Man and his watch is a fun book with amazing stories behind them and great photos. My favorites were the sentimental journey many of them held and how the history of the watch was as much a part of the story as the watch itself. It's something a watch lover like myself was really able to relate to. Enjoy!
Yes I’m a watch aficionado myself. I own six or seven pieces but none are expensive, the costliest one set me back about $450. I’d own more expensive pieces except I’m married. I looked at the preview on Amazon and the book looks good. The story of Paul Newman’s Daytona Rolex is interesting. His wife, the famous actress Joanne Woodward, bought it at Tiffany’s (supposedly) for around $300 in 1968/69, a time I have a clear memory of, and it was sold at auction a short while back for in excess of $17 million. Her engraving is amusing. I must say though, I think it’s ugly, as I don’t like two-tone watches with subdials.
I am the same type of collector, in fact I love Timex and that is 85% of my collection. I don't collect to make money on them, I collect what catches my high and the connection I have with them as a person. John Bogle wore a $14 dollar Timex he received as a gift after his heart transplant and many CEOs wear them along with Casio's, Swatches and Seikos. There are a ton of watch collectors who don't collect Luxury watches. I do agree, I'm not a fan of the chrono dial myself.
mancich

Post by mancich »

On Desperate Ground by Hampton Sides. Story of the battle of the Chosin Reservoir in Korea. Excellent read.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:51 am
sureshoe wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:24 am Slogging through Malazan Book of the Fallen. I keep hearing it's the greatest fantasy series ever... but 2 books deep and I'm struggling to like it.
I tried twice to get through the first Malazan book and just lost bogged down. The book seems overly convoluted and dense, and not all that well structured; with not one character that I could identify with. I don't want to waste my time reading something where I need copious notes to track the numerous plot lines and characters. I also don't think the writing was all that great either, unpolished and muddled. Only the fan-boys are calling it the "...greatest fantasy of all time...". The guy comes off as some Gene Wolfe wanna-be but lacking Wolfe's talent.
It's been quite a bit of work :) There are a couple threads that I thought were good, but a couple where I was completely lost and didn't feel like going back 3 times.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

MP173 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:30 pm Just finished "Vanished" by Joseph Heller....sort of like Jack Reacher. It was ok.

Currently reading "Black Smoke, African Americans and the United States of Barbecue" by Adrian Miller. Slow read for me, similar to making BBQ - I read for awhile, get hungry and put the book down. Part cookbook, part restaurant review, and part African American history book...I am enjoying it.

Next up is the Michael Lewis Pandemic book...

Ed
Premonition by Michael Lewis is excellent. When institutions failed, a very American bottom-up improvised response occurred.