Fence question

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BashDash

Fence question

Post by BashDash »

Hi all,
Thanks for all the help in the past!

Is it possible to keep the 4 by 4 wooden posts that I have by putting vinyl sleeves over them? My hope is to then change out the existing wooden fence with vinyl with as little work as possible. Is this even possible? Its only a maybe 30-40 length. Thanks!!!
Kenkat

Re: Fence question

Post by Kenkat »

You might be able to use something like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-5-i ... /202084745

Worth looking into. Hopefully your existing posts are evenly spaced in a width that matches available panels. Slips over the 4x4. You might need to shim the 4x4s to get a solid fit.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

After 30 years the pressure treated posts of neighbor's fence rotted away where they have ground contact. So that sleeve would not help you when rotting has started where in ground. I have chain link (with plastic insert slats) and aluminum pickets, so no rotting and my bi-annual staining ever. A preceding cedar fencing rotted at horizontal places after 10-20 years.
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks for the info! The posts are in good condition and don't seem to be rotting at all.
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

Well, that depends. Are the premade vinyl fence panels the exact same length as your existing wooden ones? If so, I don't see why not.
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks! Those sleeves in the Home Depot are 8 feet long. I only have roughly 32 inches above the ground that needs to be covered by the sleeve. Can you trim them?
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

Most vinyl fence is designed with 5x5 posts. Your posts are actually 3.5x3.5 so you have 1.5" of slop in both directions if you try to use the post linked above. They do make "wrap" posts intended to go over wood 4x4 or even round galvanized steel posts. Most systems are also designed for the rails to penetrate an inch or more into the post - having a solid block of wood will complicate that. You may need to find a system that will mount to brackets screwed into the outside of the posts.

You may also have issues with spacing. If the posts are too far apart your rails won't reach. If too close you will have to do a lot of cutting of the rails and the panels. Being plumb is also important - you can hide an angled post behind a typical wood fence screwed into the face of the post, but when the rails connect on the insides and the post is visible any angle will be obvious.

Make a sketch of your current fence and get some accurate measurements between posts (top and bottom), then search for a system that fits. I'm guessing you will have less hassle digging new holes, and with the price of lumber today you might be able to sell your old posts at a profit.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

BashDash wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:34 pm Thanks! Those sleeves in the Home Depot are 8 feet long. I only have roughly 32 inches above the ground that needs to be covered by the sleeve. Can you trim them?
I am confused. How high do you want the new fence to be? Surely more than 32 inches? You can buy shorter vinyl posts and I would think you could cut them to size as well.
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

The current posts are 32 inches and they have 4 foot high panels attached to them. I'm thinking this is going to be more complicated than I anticipated.....Might be easier to restore the current fence by powerwashing then painting.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I wouldn't put a sleeve over a wooden post. That just means you are going to have to redo the entire fence in a number of years instead of just putting in a fence that should last the rest of your life. You said you checked the posts and they feel solid, how? Fence posts typically rot below ground while above ground can remain solid indefinitely. Did you dig down and actually check below ground or just check the exposed top and give it the wiggle test? There is a huge difference.

If I were going to the effort of redoing a fence, I would just start fresh and do it right from below ground up.
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

The HavenView CountrySide are 5 in. x 5 in. x 39 in. Tranquil White Capped Composite Beveled Post Sleeve Kit with Cap and Skirt are designed to fit over standard 4 in. x 4 in. wood posts. They are 7 inches longer than your posts.
Rocket science is not “rocket science” to a rocket scientist, just as personal finance is not “rocket science” to a Boglehead.
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks for all the replies! I will update!