U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Marseille07

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Marseille07 »

We've done it folks! The SPX sure to close at ATH.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:26 pm We've done it folks! The SPX sure to close at ATH.
Don’t count your chickens……
It's a GREAT day to be alive! - Travis Tritt
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

We did it!
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

"Inflation grew at the fastest rate in more than a decade last month, but CNBC’s Jim Cramer called it the worst kept secret on Wall Street and said the stock market took it in stride."

"Ain't nothin' gonna to break my stride
Nobody gonna slow me down, oh no
I got to keep on movin'"
"I think we may see a return to full employment next year." -- Janet Yellen, March 23rd 2021
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Robot Monster wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:02 pm "Inflation grew at the fastest rate in more than a decade last month, but CNBC’s Jim Cramer called it the worst kept secret on Wall Street and said the stock market took it in stride."

"Ain't nothin' gonna to break my stride
Nobody gonna slow me down, oh no
I got to keep on movin'"
I love these daily updates. Keep them coming.

:sharebeer
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Robot Monster wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:02 pm "Inflation grew at the fastest rate in more than a decade last month, but CNBC’s Jim Cramer called it the worst kept secret on Wall Street and said the stock market took it in stride."
All I can think of is Alfred E Neuman of Mad Magazine fame saying “What, me worry?”
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Stinky wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:36 pm
All I can think of is Alfred E Neuman of Mad Magazine fame saying “What, me worry?”
Alfred didn't know about trailing stops.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

“Our base view is still that growth and inflation remain buoyant and supportive of risk assets...It’s been interesting to watch rates tick lower and stay lower. That seems to imply the market is believing the Fed is going to remain lower for longer and hold rates there.” link
"I think we may see a return to full employment next year." -- Janet Yellen, March 23rd 2021
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Robot Monster wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:01 pm “Our base view is still that growth and inflation remain buoyant and supportive of risk assets...It’s been interesting to watch rates tick lower and stay lower. That seems to imply the market is believing the Fed is going to remain lower for longer and hold rates there.” link
The Fed's being saying this for a long time but it was the market not believing them and pushed 10Y above 1.70% at one point. Now that we're actually realizing inflation, they start to believe the Fed is amusing to me.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

The U.S. Stock Market is barely flat today, hardly soaring.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

nedsaid wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:26 pm The U.S. Stock Market is barely flat today, hardly soaring.
Does that mean that the stock market has reached "a permanently high plateau"? :D

(Credit to Irving Fisher)
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

Stinky wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:37 pm
nedsaid wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:26 pm The U.S. Stock Market is barely flat today, hardly soaring.
Does that mean that the stock market has reached "a permanently high plateau"? :D

We've been hovering all week around ATHs. The good news is, we may be consolidating before another move upward.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Today had a nice finish. Not sure why. I'm only looking because I hit another MMilestione.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

livesoft wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:04 pm Today had a nice finish. Not sure why. I'm only looking because I hit another MMilestione.
Congrats! Looking forward to seeing it in the Milestone thread. :D
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Well, the market did rally a bit after I posted. The Dow up 13.36, S&P 500 up 8.26, and the NAZZ up 49.09. So I learned another trick here. I can post in the "free fall" thread or I can post here and say that the market isn't doing much in order to get the market to go up. :wink:

Seriously, as noted below, the market has been hovering around all-time highs this week. I don't know the future but I know that from history that the market is up more often than not (60% of all days) and that the long term trend is up. Not sure about the permanently high plateau but probably not.
A fool and his money are good for business.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

nedsaid wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:59 pm

Well, the market did rally a bit after I posted. The Dow up 13.36, S&P 500 up 8.26, and the NAZZ up 49.09. So I learned another trick here. I can post in the "free fall" thread or I can post here and say that the market isn't doing much in order to get the market to go up. :wink:

Seriously, as noted below, the market has been hovering around all-time highs this week. I don't know the future but I know that from history that the market is up more often than not (60% of all days) and that the long term trend is up. Not sure about the permanently high plateau but probably not.
Oh no, it’s not the roaring 20’s! We’re about to replay 1966…
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

A long time ago I saw a movie about that. It was called "High Plains Drifter".
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Marseille07 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:13 pm
Robot Monster wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:01 pm “Our base view is still that growth and inflation remain buoyant and supportive of risk assets...It’s been interesting to watch rates tick lower and stay lower. That seems to imply the market is believing the Fed is going to remain lower for longer and hold rates there.” link
The Fed's being saying this for a long time but it was the market not believing them and pushed 10Y above 1.70% at one point. Now that we're actually realizing inflation, they start to believe the Fed is amusing to me.
On the latest Bloomberg Real Yield, a guy from JP Morgan laid the blame on a short squeeze. YouTube link
2:51-3:40
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Robot Monster wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:10 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:13 pm
On the latest Bloomberg Real Yield, a guy from JP Morgan laid the blame on a short squeeze. YouTube link
2:51-3:40
Whoa, that's super interesting. I can almost hear Dr. Burry saying this: https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/fcd761d2-0 ... 2dff8ac070
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

So, on Wednesday we get the FOMC Announcement and the Fed Chair Press Conference; the quarterly rate-forecast “dot plot” will be released and, according to the 51 economists surveyed by Bloomberg, they predict it will show:

"...the median of 18 officials penciling in at least one 2023 increase. The remainder see no liftoff from near-zero rates until 2024 at the earliest, mirroring the Fed’s forecast in March." link

Of course, from 2018 I remember the WSJ article, "Economists Expect Fed to Continue Raising Rates Through 2019".

"All 58 economists who participated in The Wall Street Journal’s latest survey saw the Fed raising interest rates...Their median forecast calls for three additional increases in 2019 to a range between 3% and 3.25%..."
https://www.wsj.com/articles/economists ... 1542294000

Except, in 2019, they lowered.

On a side note I notice that, as of the moment (June 13, 2021) 6 out of the 50 topics on the main page mention the word "inflation".