Potential Relocation to Austin - Should We Do It?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hunoraut

Re: Potential Relocation to Austin - Should We Do It?

Post by hunoraut »

sunny_socal wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:00 am
So it's not really the humidity people are complaining about. What they really mean is "I don't want to sweat."
What almost everyone means: its hot, humid, and plain uncomfortable.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

asap wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:19 am Read this.

https://outline.com/g3XcED
I don't know, most of the points raised seem unfair, such as getting a bad contractor and pinning the blame on Austin.

Also, if you compare weather vs California then pretty much anywhere looks worse, not just Austin. I'm in a place where July / August are actually extremely comfortable, but other seasons are cold. Having to endure two months of heat actually sounds appealing.
investingfan

Post by investingfan »

Marseille07 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:11 am

I don't know, most of the points raised seem unfair, such as getting a bad contractor and pinning the blame on Austin.

Also, if you compare weather vs California then pretty much anywhere looks worse, not just Austin. I'm in a place where July / August are actually extremely comfortable, but other seasons are cold. Having to endure two months of heat actually sounds appealing.
Austin heat is from June to September. Just rent for 1 year in Austin and you will find out.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

investingfan wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:21 am

Austin heat is from June to September. Just rent for 1 year in Austin and you will find out.
What's your definition of heat? I see day high of 90 degrees today, I don't pack up and leave at this temperature.
investingfan

Post by investingfan »

Marseille07 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:25 am
investingfan wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:21 am

What's your definition of heat? I see day high of 90 degrees today, I don't pack up and leave at this temperature.
Humidity and bugs. Mosquitoes, scorpions, fire ants, cockroaches, horse flies, ticks. In my opinion, Austin is too expensive for the weather and lifestyle. Pick Dallas or San Antonio, I heard it's more affordable!
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

investingfan wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:36 am Humidity and bugs. Mosquitoes, scorpions, fire ants, cockroaches, horse flies, ticks. In my opinion, Austin is too expensive for the weather and lifestyle. Pick Dallas or San Antonio, I heard it's more affordable!
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but personally I prefer Dallas. San Antonio is just as hot as Austin I think, just speaking from a geographical standpoint.
investingfan

Post by investingfan »

Marseille07 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:43 am
investingfan wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:36 am Humidity and bugs. Mosquitoes, scorpions, fire ants, cockroaches, horse flies, ticks. In my opinion, Austin is too expensive for the weather and lifestyle. Pick Dallas or San Antonio, I heard it's more affordable!
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but personally I prefer Dallas. San Antonio is just as hot as Austin I think, just speaking from a geographical standpoint.
I meant for the money.
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

AMD84 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:38 am

Would you pull the trigger and make the move out of the Bay Area?
I'd rent for a year to determine where you want to be and possibly see if that Austin bubble pops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4XOMOoGNJU&t=585s
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

toomanysidehustles wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:54 am
AMD84 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:38 am

I'd rent for a year to determine where you want to be and possibly see if that Austin bubble pops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4XOMOoGNJU&t=585s
It's interesting how they question if Austin is growing 70% faster than Nashville and they say no. The answer is actually yes. Austin grew by 200K over a decade, Nashville around 60K. The permits graph looking like that is very much conceivable.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Ironically I have a cousin with the exact same (first and last) name as the author who moved his family from LA to Houston (not Austin) just at the beginning of the pandemic and you couldn't pay him to move his family back. And this cousin has the same political leanings as that author clearly does. Having lived in Austin and being a California (LA) native, even though I didn't particularly like Austin, I'll just say that #4-9 are absolute nonsense. Says a lot more about the author and pretty much nothing about Austin; a clear indicator of someone who isn't used to living in an area where there is a possibility they might meet someone with a different opinion than them. Can't believe I wasted 5 minutes of my time.
Last edited by stoptothink on Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

I'll throw in my 2 cents regarding Austin weather and politics.

If you like the politics in San Fran, Austin will not be too much of a stretch for you. I live in a similar college/government town where 90-plus percent of the population swings in the same political direction. You will be fine in Austin.

As for weather, I had the opportunity to spend a week working in downtown Austin in late July. My hotel was a good 30 minute walk from the job site. In the mornings it was 80 degrees and muggy. By afternoon it was almost 100 but much lower relative humidity - more comfortable than mornings. I did fine walking in my dress pants/shirt from place to place. I'm a northerner but I don't dislike warmer weather. Austin was NOT sweaty southern/midwestern humidness.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

There is an article about the housing market in Texas Monthly magazine. Saw it on Apple news, but not sure how to link to it here.

Anyway, it is worth a read. Talks about Austin and California.
sandan

Post by sandan »

boogle_12 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:36 pm
sandan wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:07 pm I don't think it makes sense to take a pay cut to move somewhere unless there are obvious benefits like elderly parents in the area etc. I'm not sure of many scenarios where voluntarily taking a pay cut and having to move is a good career move.

The pros and cons of moving to Austin with a pay raise in hand seems like more of a worthy debate.
It’s a move within the same company and the pay cut leads to more net money at the end due to lack of a state income tax for the couple.

Edit: also there seems to be company stock involved, so depending on the situation, OP can save on tax from the sale after establishing residency in Texas for a year
Yeah. I think that is normally considered a demotion. Moving from HQ to a regional office at a lower cost for the employer. I'm being optimistic here by assuming that the company will be paying for moving costs (temporary rental, agent commissions, incidentals etc.)
boogle_12

Post by boogle_12 »

sandan wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:14 am
boogle_12 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:36 pm
sandan wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:07 pm I don't think it makes sense to take a pay cut to move somewhere unless there are obvious benefits like elderly parents in the area etc. I'm not sure of many scenarios where voluntarily taking a pay cut and having to move is a good career move.

The pros and cons of moving to Austin with a pay raise in hand seems like more of a worthy debate.
It’s a move within the same company and the pay cut leads to more net money at the end due to lack of a state income tax for the couple.

Edit: also there seems to be company stock involved, so depending on the situation, OP can save on tax from the sale after establishing residency in Texas for a year
Yeah. I think that is normally considered a demotion. Moving from HQ to a regional office at a lower cost for the employer. I'm being optimistic here by assuming that the company will be paying for moving costs (temporary rental, agent commissions, incidentals etc.)
If it were the opposite, going from Austin to the Bay Area with approximately a 10% cost of living adjustment, I don’t think I’d consider that a promotion
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

Fast forward to this year for this follow up article
https://austonia.com/californian-op-ed
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Any updates from the OP? I'm kind of curious as I debate Austin vs Dallas myself.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

mkc wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:58 pm
alfaspider wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:33 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:13 pm
What's wrong with the weather? Too hot?

I'm hearing it's not as bad as Houston where it's hot + humid, but I haven't been to either place. I am looking at Dallas though.
Austin (and Dallas) are actually hotter than Houston in the summer, albeit marginally less humid.
We lived in the DFW area for 12 years (after 13 in Austin). One thing we noticed about NTX is that after daytime highs around 100F, it would still be 90-95F at 9 PM. It just didn't seem to cool off very fast, even after the sun went down.

Anything yard work or exterior maintenance we needed to do in the summer, we did between 6 and 8 AM.
Simple physics at work.

In a desert, which is dry it can be below freezing at night and in the 100s in the day.

There's no water vapor to trap the day's heat. It radiates back into space.

When it is humid that does not happen. Heat stays around all night. Water vapor in air absorbs the infrared light (the higher energy levels mean the water molecules re radiate the heat over time).

That, as I understand it, is the main factor at work.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

AMD84 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:38 am Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. This community has been such a great help to me and I am truly grateful for all the wonderful contributions that everyone makes.

I currently work at a company in the SF Bay Area and have the option to relocate to the company’s North Austin office. My spouse (33) and I (37) are hoping to have children within the next couple years and are looking to settle in a family-friendly area. Our current financials are:

Retirement account = $410k
Taxable account = $520k
Cash = $50k
Mortgage = $650k (realtor estimates condo value is ~$870k based on recent comparable sales in the neighborhood)
No other debt.

My income = Base: $175k, Stock: $160k
Spouse income = Base: $130k

My income would decrease by 10% if we move to Austin while my spouse’s income would be unchanged. We would also sell the condo and have no interest in being out of state landlords.

We would like to purchase a newer home in a good school district that is ideally within a 30 minute commute to the office. The price for this kind of home in the Bay Area is extremely expensive and is one of the biggest factors in considering the move to Austin. On the other hand, our friends and family are in the Bay Area and one concern would be having to create a new network of friends. While we very much enjoy the food and weather here, we do not really care for the beach and mountains and rarely spend any time in nature.

Keep your property in California & rent in Austin for a year?

It will be something of a culture shock I predict. As well as a weather shock.

You want to experience it *over a full year* before you decide whether it's the right move for you.

Are there commutable towns further out in the East Bay area? Other than wildfires, I must admit it sounds like heaven on Earth.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

I stopped here:

We moved from San Diego in 2015 (owning a 2,000-square-foot house on a 1/3rd acre) looking for a boost in lifestyle.
So we bought a 4,000-square-foot house in Bee Cave (a

That's some crazy stuff right there.
But yeah a huge macmansion with a gigantic landscaped lot and a pool is expensive. Who knew.

Six, not two.
I visited a friend in October, it's was extremely hot.
Probably it depends on people but I find heat impossible to live with. Cold (if not extreme) is fine, if I walk, do any activity, add a layer I get warm very quick.
UM2009

Post by UM2009 »

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Anyone mention bugs yet? In CA I was used to virtually no bugs, maybe just some flies in the summer. Here I must poison every couple months.
- Giant centipedes
- Scorpions in the house every year despite the poison
- Snakes (Ok had these in CA too)
- Mosquitos
- Fire ants! The bite on contact and create a little 'pustule' that takes at least 2 weeks to heal
- Wasps that nest in the tiniest little cracks
- 'click' beetles
- June bugs etc
- Massive moths (ie. 6" wingspan)
- Tarantulas

And:
- Armadillos
- Skunks
- Foxes
- Coyotes
- Tons of deer. Plan on hitting one eventually
- Possums
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

sunny_socal wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:36 pm Anyone mention bugs yet? In CA I was used to virtually no bugs, maybe just some flies in the summer. Here I must poison every couple months.
- Giant centipedes
- Mosquitos
- Fire ants! The bite on contact and create a little 'pustule' that takes at least 2 weeks to heal
- 'click' beetles
- June bugs etc
- Tarantulas

And:
- Armadillos
- Skunks
- Foxes
- Coyotes
- Possums
I am allergic to fire ants and bees and almost died 3x (rushed to ER with anaphylaxis) due to bites/stings while living in...California. I haven't lived in California since '05 and have had to use my epi-pen zero times since, including 5yrs in Texas (where I never hit a deer and don't think I know anybody who did). Bugs and pests are pests, everywhere.

I have a laundry list of autoimmune issues, including chronic idiopathic urticaria (allergic reactions that last days to months, with no known cause). The prevalence and extremity of my outbreaks dropped significantly when I left California. Although I lived my first 23yrs of life there, I must be allergic to all of its amazingness.
mkc

Post by mkc »

sunny_socal wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:36 pm Anyone mention bugs yet? In CA I was used to virtually no bugs, maybe just some flies in the summer. Here I must poison every couple months.
- Giant centipedes
- Mosquitos
- 'click' beetles
- June bugs etc
- Tarantulas

- Chiggers
- Black widow spiders
- Brown recluse spiders
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

- Giant centipedes
- Mosquitos
- 'click' beetles
- June bugs etc
- Tarantulas

And:
- Armadillos
- Skunks
- Foxes
- Coyotes
- Possums
Weren't you advising the OP to move to Austin earlier? Now bringing up all the not-so-great stuff :confused