Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022!

Post by Miriam2 »

It's time already!! :sharebeer

The Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022 is now open!

Are you planning to RETIRE in 2022? About time! 8-)

Add your name to this Awesome Retirement Roll Call, post your R-date and age, if you choose, and all good benefits and great adventures will come your way! And yes, tentative retirement plans and estimated dates are okay - we just reboot you when they change 8-)
David Jay

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022!

Post by David Jay »

Thanks for the work you put into Roll Call, Miriam.

(Graduate - class of 2019)
Last edited by David Jay on Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

David Jay wrote: Thanks for the work you put into Roll Call, Miriam.
You're welcome, David Jay! Lol - announcing the newest Roll Call is one of the highlights of my year 8-)
Viking65

Post by Viking65 »

I have so been waiting for this call. I'M IN! First member of the class of 2022, wohoo!
I'm currently 55 and DW is 61. Our date is 1 July 2022.
We will put in our notices on 1 April 2022 (no fooling!) and walk out the door 3 months later (or maybe 3 weeks, when we use up accumulated vacation time). We've been FI for a while, but we're waiting on youngest son to graduate from high school before pulling the plug.
This feels so good. We can't wait to start the next chapter, but the next 9 months are going to drag by.
Viking65
Bronko

Post by Bronko »

May 31, 2022 unless I do something ridiculous like OMY.

What will I do? Whatever I want.
Never let a little bit of money get in the way of a real good time.
sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath »

Yay!

I've been secretly itching for you to post this, Miriam, but too proud to ask lest I appear overeager. :D

It is a premonition at this point, but please pencil me in for May 1st.

Financially, one never knows for sure but all looks good. I set a range of retirement numbers as we got closer, from "doable, but scraping by" to "more than we are likely to spend." We hit the lower number some years ago, and have now also sailed by the top. The plan was to retire at 60, when our youngest will be done with high school, but outside events may force my hand and I couldn't be more excited.

I've been planning this for quite a while: travel, more time at our cottage in Michigan, sailing in Greece and the Great Lakes.

However, my wife has set the cat amongst the pigeons, as the Brits like to say. She has been a stay at home mom since our first child was born (her choice, I was deeply against it), and now that the kids are getting older she is thinking about new challenges. She has wanted to start her own business for quite a while, but none of the ideas had excited us enough to take the plunge. But now we think she's finally on to something.

She has made various board games for the family over the years, and gave me a new one for Christmas 2019. We both think it's good, and have decided to go with it: to form a company to publish and sell her new game.

So instead of exotic travel and sailing, the plan is to devote the next two to three years to working like slaves in a low margin, wildly competitive business. I've run the numbers, and figure that if we are reasonably successful and don't take salaries, we might be able to earn $10,000 for three years' work. :oops:

We are having a fantastic time and, like Viking65, I just can't wait!

Cheers,
Sean
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

Happy to see this thread!

I will be retiring on or about President's Day. 2/22/22 has a nice ring to it. Wife and I will be 55 then. Kids will be graduating college '22 and '23. The 55th birthday unlocks a couple of golden handcuffs with equity comp and retiree medical benefits at work. We hit our target number earlier this year and paid off the house last year. Within 1-2 years, the plan is to sell the house and rent somewhere fun or maybe a series of somwheres. Not sure yet on that.

These last months are dragging quite slowly, but the light at the end of the tunnel is coming into focus.
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

Viking65 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:20 am I have so been waiting for this call. I'M IN! First member of the class of 2022, wohoo!
I'm currently 55 and DW is 61. Our date is 1 July 2022.
We will put in our notices on 1 April 2022 (no fooling!) and walk out the door 3 months later (or maybe 3 weeks, when we use up accumulated vacation time). We've been FI for a while, but we're waiting on youngest son to graduate from high school before pulling the plug.
This feels so good. We can't wait to start the next chapter, but the next 9 months are going to drag by.
Viking65
9 months? By my math, you've got 12+ months til July 2022.