Wiki - Veterans Health Care and HSA

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Soon2BXProgrammer

Wiki - Veterans Health Care and HSA

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

The current wiki page for HSA's doesn't address VA benefits like it does Medicare.

I created a page with both history of how we got to where we are (including references to legislation and IRS Notices):

User:Soon2BXProgrammer/HSA_veterans_benefits

As well as what the practical implications are based on those rules.

I'd suggest adding a tiny blurb and a link on this page https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Health_savings_account

I'd like feedback on this.
Last edited by Soon2BXProgrammer on Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
Soon2BXProgrammer

Re: Wiki - Veterans Health Care and HSA

Nords wrote: Ping
I thought you might be a good reviewer of my draft wiki page?
Topic Author
Soon2BXProgrammer

Spirit Rider wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:19 pm He is ineligible for any month he has received VA medical benefits in the prior three months. I am a disabled veteran and I did not use the VA for anything except medical benefits related to my disability. Which are disregarded.
Spirit Rider, can you see the proposed wiki page on the topic of VA medical care and HDHP/HSA. Let me know your thoughts. (or feel free to edit away)
User:Soon2BXProgrammer/HSA_veterans_benefits

For clarity, this is an example thread that I'm hoping my wiki article can help: viewtopic.php?t=328201

It isn't clear from the Op (of the linked thread) if their husband (the covered employee) who uses VA health care is a service connected veteran. It isn't clear if they know that the VA should be billing their insurance for his care, which would reduce their out of pocket costs and tilt towards the HDHP/HSA being a good deal if he is service connected, etc.

(and its a thread that both Spirit Rider and I didn't weight in on. in searching it looks like we had responded in a decent percentage of veterans health care threads, but not all)
Nords

Post by Nords »

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:30 am
Sorry, Soon2B, HSAs are way beyond my circle of competence in military benefits.

I understand what you’ve referenced but I wouldn’t advise your average vet to start an HSA. It looks like it could be a great idea for certain vets with the right insurance (VA or HDHP) but it’s too narrow a niche for me.

I’ll send the link to your wiki page to Ryan Guina, owner of TheMilitaryWallet.com. He might have a freelancer who’s willing to take a look at your Wiki entry and perhaps even expand the subject into a blog post on his site.
* | * | Please see my profile for my next book. I don't read every post, so please PM or e-mail me to get my attention.
Topic Author
Soon2BXProgrammer

Nords wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:23 pm
Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:30 am
Sorry, Soon2B, HSAs are way beyond my circle of competence in military benefits.

I understand what you’ve referenced but I wouldn’t advise your average vet to start an HSA. It looks like it could be a great idea for certain vets with the right insurance (VA or HDHP) but it’s too narrow a niche for me.

I’ll send the link to your wiki page to Ryan Guina, owner of TheMilitaryWallet.com. He might have a freelancer who’s willing to take a look at your Wiki entry and perhaps even expand the subject into a blog post on his site.

Thanks for sending to the Ryan. Basically the wrinkle is.. if a service connected vet (non retiree) works and has a healthcare option... a HDHP/HSA combination can end up being a great option because when they receive VA healthcare, it counts towards their HDHP deductible... AND it doesn't disqualify them from the HSA. I appreciate the forward..

Understand it is very "niche"