Core Bond Fund Selection ?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
tomd37

Core Bond Fund Selection ?

Post by tomd37 »

At age 84 and with a basic two-fund portfolio at a 40/60 stock/bond asset allocation in my traditional IRA, do I "really" have to be concerned whether the selected bond fund is the Intermediate-Term Bond Index (VBILX) or Total Bond Market Index (VBTLX) fund? I currently have it in VBILX but just thinking about the bond side in the future, however long that might be for me.

The stock side of my traditional IRA is covered by the Total Stock Market Index (VTSAX) fund. I do have a slight real estate tilt using the Real Estate Index fund (VGSLX) in my Roth IRA for ten percent of the stock side.

Maybe I should just stop thinking about such things and be thankful (and I am) for what I have since with SS and a pension I do not need all my RMDs.
Tom D.
socaldude

Re: Core Bond Fund Selection ?

Post by socaldude »

Yes. Game over... you won. Congrats.Help others and enjoy that peace.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

VTSAX + VBILX is the core of my portfolio, so I approve.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Certainly not. In fact no investor at any stage needs to worry about a choice between such funds. There are lots of other bond fund choices that could be selected without worry either.

I think it is unfortunate that making the three (or two) fund idea specific so that it is easy to understand would cause the bond anxiety it seems to cause.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Certainly not. In fact no investor at any stage needs to worry about a choice between such funds. There are lots of other bond fund choices that could be selected without worry either.

I think it is unfortunate that making the three (or two) fund idea specific so that it is easy to understand would cause the bond anxiety it seems to cause.

With investment advice it is really hard to separate all the "plenty good enough" choices from things that really are a bad idea without creating all sorts of confusion.
50/50

Post by 50/50 »

I have (VBTLX) Total Bond Market Index in my TIRA and (VBILX) Intermediate Term Bond Index in my Roth IRA. I think you are fine with either.