"Retired" Life Stage Virtual Chapter "Master Thread"

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

"Retired" Life Stage Virtual Chapter "Master Thread"

Post by sleepysurf »

Greetings Bogleheads! We're pleased to announce the formation of the "Retired" Life Stage Virtual Chapter.

Mission: To share perspectives and resources focusing on topics relevant for near/current retirees

This will be one of four "Life Stage" Virtual Chapters that focus on key issues for each phase of the investing life cycle...
-- Starting Out
-- Mid Life/Career/Accumulator
-- Pre/Early Retirement
-- Retired

Future meetings will include presentations and/or open Q&A from among these broad categories...
-- Sources of Income
-- Social Security
-- Withdrawal / Decumulation Strategies
-- Spending Levels
-- Managing Debt
-- Asset Allocation / Location
-- Roth Conversions
-- Tax Planning
-- Estate Planning
-- Charitable Giving
-- Insurance Needs
-- Annuities
-- Non-Financial Considerations

The initial Coordinators for the Retired Life Stage Chapter are sleepysurf and Rob54keep. We'd like to add two more Coordinators, to assist with Chapter development and programming. If interested, please PM either of us, or inquire during a meeting.

The Life Stage Virtual Chapters are intended to complement the geographic-based BH Local Chapters and BH Speaker Series. Down the road, we'll schedule guest presenters for deeper dives into specific sub-topics, and will also be linking to relevant resources in the BH Wiki. Please Subscribe to (or Bookmark) this thread for future updates.
Last edited by sleepysurf on Thu May 20, 2021 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Retired 2018 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced)
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Re: "Retired" Life Stage Virtual Chapter "Master Thread"

Post by sleepysurf »

Our first "Retired" Life Stage meeting will be Tue, June 8th, on Zoom, starting 8 PM (Eastern).

Our Initial Discussion Topic will be... I'm From the Retirement Class of "XXXX" and These Are Some Lessons I've Learned... with open Q&A to follow, addressing whatever else is on participants minds.

You can RSVP for the meeting (and submit questions or other discussion topics) here... https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link
All responses are anonymous. The Zoom link will be posted in the BH Calendar of Events at least one week prior to the meeting, and will also be shared with all the Local Chapters.
Last edited by sleepysurf on Mon May 24, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

sleepysurf wrote: Greetings Bogleheads! We're pleased to announce the formation of the "Retired" Life Stage Virtual Chapter.

Mission: To share perspectives and resources focusing on topics relevant for near/current retirees
sleepysurf wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:04 am Our first "Retired" Life Stage meeting will be Tue, June 8th, on Zoom, starting 8 PM (Eastern).

Our Initial Discussion Topic will be... I'm From the Retirement Class of "XXXX" and These Are Some Lessons I've Learned... with open Q&A to follow, addressing whatever else is on participants minds.
This is a truly welcomed idea for a Life Stage chapter and I'm sure it will be a great success :D

Looking forward to your first Retired Life Stage meeting, and thanks for letting the Retirement Roll Call know!
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Thanks to all who have submitted questions and topic suggestions, thus far, along with their RSVP responses (link... https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link). Keep them coming! We'll randomly pick some, along with "live" questions, and discuss as many as we can during the meeting.
-- With so many retirement drawdown strategies, how should we decide which is best for us?
-- Techniques or tools other use to do tax planning
-- How do we begin to discuss (or not) our finances with our children?
-- Recommend what percent of stocks and bonds to hold as you grow older in retirement?
-- I would like to hear advice about working with an elder law attorney to establish a trust, especially for a solo concerned about the possibility of cognitive decline.
-- What's ONE thing you wish you knew before retiring?
-- Do you involve your CPA and/or financial advisor when you draft/review/finalize your estate planning documents as for tax strategies? If you do involve, how much do you share with your CPA or FA?
-- How to handle health insurance if retired before 65
-- What surprises have you encountered that you could have been better prepared for
To ensure that everybody is comfortable asking their questions, and/or answering, we will NOT be recording the meeting. However, for a more social interaction, we'll encourage all participants to be "on-camera", but that will be optional.

Lastly, those of you who expressed interest in helping out as Chapter Co-Coordinators, please send a PM if you wish more info prior to the meeting. We (along with the other "Life Stage" and "Local Chapter" Coordinators) are sharing LOTS of ideas and resources via a (private) Bogle Center authorized Groups.io email list, which already has 44 members.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

My apologies. For some reason, the RSVP/Survey Form links above stopped working. They are now updated, and functional again.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Based upon the RSVP's thus far, and additional submitted questions, we expect a large turnout for this first "Retired" Life Stage meeting, with many topics discussed. We'll alternate between pre-submitted questions, and those submitted "live" via the Zoom "Chat" feature. Of note, we will NOT be recording the meeting, so everybody can feel comfortable asking and answering questions. The Zoom link has now been posted on the BH Calendar of Events... https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/

For those interested in attending, you can still (anonymously) RSVP and submit additional questions here... https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I would remind attendees that you can save the Zoom "Chat" session.

When you're in a meeting, open the chat window --> More (bottom right corner, may show as ellipse ...) --> Save chat.

A text file is saved on your computer in the default location. Windows, it's in Documents --> Zoom --> (Folder titled with meeting info).

This is also a good time to be sure that your Zoom app is up-to-date. In the Zoom app, click on your login icon (upper-right corner) --> Check for Updates.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Wow! Thus far we've had well over 100 RSVP's, with many more great questions submitted...
-- I would like to see some focus on the so-called "4% rule", as it pertains to asset-allocation, and how dangerous it can be to annually add an inflation-kicker. The idea being that portfolio "success" can be at risk (i.e. you could run out of money in n years).
-- At what age (actual or years post-retirement) can you stop worrying about Sequence of Returns Risk?
-- Before RMDs are required, and as a single person, does it pay to Roth convert qualified money and pay taxes from the qualified account to avoid going into a tax bracket at least two steps above the current tax bracket?
-- What are some tools to help a person who wants to defer retirement (to maximize social security for example) to figure out how much it makes sense to earn before , and after starting to collect. I am self employed and prefer to wind down than stop working.
-- Retired: How do I handle inheritance of Annuity (non-spouse 5-yr Rule) with substantial gains and IRA (10-year Rule) which will impact taxes, planned conversions, medicare costs?
-- Drawdown strategy for retirement (4% rule, flex strategy)
-- How much (or what percentage of portfolio) should be set aside in fixed income and/or bonds if retiring prior to annuity or social security kicking in?
-- Key financial things I need to know as we coast towards that magic 65 years of age
-- Fixed income: What is "better" sources of (semi) safe yield... and how to evaluate? MYGA's, other?
-- How to deal with uncertainity of health care expenses, long term care expenses etc ...
Obviously, we won't be able to cover them all. We'll randomly pick one, and field participant responses (via the Zoom "raised hand icon") for ~5-10 mins per question, then move on to another. We'll also take some live questions as well, via the Chat box.

Most BH virtual meetings of this magnitude, have been focused presentations by one, or a few, individuals. So this format will be a bit of an experiment, and we appreciate everybody's patience and understanding. Fortunately, we have a number of volunteer Moderators to assist.

We'll leave a few mins at the end for feedback/suggestions for future meetings.

I'll reiterate LadyGeek's suggestion to make sure you are running the latest version of Zoom. If you don't already have it, you can download it (free) here... https://zoom.us/download?_ga=2.28179644 ... t_4meeting

Also, meeting participants can temporarily change their visible Username, if desired. See... https://teaching.nmc.edu/knowledgebase/ ... m-meeting/
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Here's another reminder that our first meeting will be Tue, June 8th, starting 8 PM (EDT). You can still RSVP and submit questions here... https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

Additional details in recent posts above.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Thanks to all who participated in last night's first "Retired" Life Stage meeting, especially Robert (my Co-Coordinator), and volunteer Moderators Miriam, Keith, and Jim. We really appreciated the valuable insights from Taylor, Mel, and all the others who graciously answered questions. We couldn't possibly cover all the pre-submitted (and chat) questions, but plan to address many of those topics in future meetings. ​BTW, I apologize for not responding to the "Direct Messages" sent to me during the meeting, but I had to focus on the main screen and participants list to coordinate everything.

Upon reviewing the "Chat" today, I see that LadyGeek posted some helpful Wiki links, and Jim posted links for other recorded Chapter meetings, and many others responded to questions or suggested other online resources. Unfortunately, for privacy reasons, we did not record the meeting, and cannot publicly share the "Chat" transcript.

Lastly, whomever "C Spea" is, please PM me so I can follow up on your offer to assist as a Chapter Co-Coordinator. Likewise, for anybody else would like to help out with the Retired (or any of the other three) Life Stage Chapters, please reach out!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Here are chat comments containing links (or references) and are presented anonymously without context. Several of those comments are not from me.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Wiki article Outline for retired life stage started using some of the posts from this topic.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams