Does USPS accept Walk-In Passport Appointments?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
crystalbank

Does USPS accept Walk-In Passport Appointments?

Post by crystalbank »

Need to apply US passport for a minor and currently all appointments for USPS passport acceptance are unavailable in my area till end of July. Beyond that the online scheduler doesn't let me schedule an appointment.

1. Can I just walk-in to a USPS location and wait in line for passport acceptance?
2. If only some post offices allow walk-ins how do I find them?
MarkBarb

Re: Does USPS accept Walk-In Passport Appointments?

Post by MarkBarb »

I have a friend that has an emergency need for a passport and this is a nightmare right now. They are so backed up that even the places that specialize in emergency passports are struggling. My friend has resorted to applying and then contacting his Senators and Rep to help expedite the process. I know that isn't very helpful, but I thought it would show that this isn't an easy problem to solve.
fabdog

Post by fabdog »

I would not... last time I went in to get our son's renewed (last time as he's now over 18) it was appointment only and they were running an hour behind.

Use this link to find other acceptance facilities (that may also be appointment only) for example the 10 nearest to us are 8 post offices, a county treasurer's office, and a library

https://iafdb.travel.state.gov/

Mike
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

crystalbank wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:13 pm Need to apply US passport for a minor and currently all appointments for USPS passport acceptance are unavailable in my area till end of July. Beyond that the online scheduler doesn't let me schedule an appointment.

1. Can I just walk-in to a USPS location and wait in line for passport acceptance?
1) No.

2) Using the link provided by fabdog. You may not find walk-in appointments, but you'll find non-USPS locations.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Topic Author
crystalbank

Post by crystalbank »

fabdog wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:19 pm I would not... last time I went in to get our son's renewed (last time as he's now over 18) it was appointment only and they were running an hour behind.

Use this link to find other acceptance facilities (that may also be appointment only) for example the 10 nearest to us are 8 post offices, a county treasurer's office, and a library

https://iafdb.travel.state.gov/

Mike
Thanks for the link. I was able to get an appointment in a further away town's City Hall, an hour drive from where I live. Can't complain of course, atleast I got an appointment.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Fortunately DW, DDs and their families all renewed their passports in 2019. They will need them later this year as they will be finally doing some travel originally scheduled for last summer.

I need to renew my state ID card and disabled parking hang tag, the first appointment available when I was searching for one yesterday was June 24th!

Thankfully the ID will be the required "Real ID" and if it lasts as long as my current ID I won't have to renew it for 8 years. Permanent disabled hang tags last for four years, kinda misnamed. Certain venues actually check the occupants of vehicles using disabled parking hang tags
and fine anyone who parks with the disabled person not present.

These city/county/state/federal bureaucrats need to get things rolling again.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

We went to our Federal Building as a walkin a couple of years ago and got one. They didn't have any appointments for a couple of weeks out but the airline we talked to suggested we just show up and plead our need. It worked - had a passport in 30 minutes. I don't know if they still allow this. If you talk to an airline or travel agent they may have some current tips.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

None of the USPS offices around us do them anymore. We went to the county building the last time we did them.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

If USPS location take appointments then they will be unlikely to do a walk in unless someone no show and even then it’s YMMV. Maybe non-USPS locations may allow for it such as libraries/county clerk but definitely call and ask.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I have never been in a post office that will give you a passport. They will acceptant your application and mail it off to the nearest Federal Center that does passports. I just print out the application, fill it out, walk in without appointment with my old passport and appropriate checks/money orders and the post office mails it off and 6 to 8 weeks later my passports arrive in the mail. You can get them returned sooner if you pay to expedite.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

A couple of Post Office's around me appear per the State link above to allow walk-ins but the vast majority do not. I did do a walk-in with my son years ago before COVID and if you try get there early. At the PO we hit we got there 30 mins before the PO opened and by the time they opened there were probably a dozen folks behind us (we were second in line).
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

lthenderson wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:07 pm I have never been in a post office that will give you a passport. They will acceptant your application and mail it off to the nearest Federal Center that does passports. I just print out the application, fill it out, walk in without appointment with my old passport and appropriate checks/money orders and the post office mails it off and 6 to 8 weeks later my passports arrive in the mail. You can get them returned sooner if you pay to expedite.
This is only applicable for renewals.
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

crystalbank wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:13 pm Need to apply US passport for a minor and currently all appointments for USPS passport acceptance are unavailable in my area till end of July. Beyond that the online scheduler doesn't let me schedule an appointment.

1) I don't know. USPS are bozos though and I wouldn't go there. OK, I made an appointment and did go there and they mistakenly refused to renew my child's passport because they are out-to-lunch or gone-missing or I don't know what their problem is but they very obviously didn't understand the necessary documentation and I call them bozos because US citizens don't have naturalization paperwork even if born outside the US - and they were requiring it despite our pleas. Everything at travel.state.gov indicates that all my son needed to prove citizenship was his current US passport in undamaged condition which it was and which he had.

2) https://iafdb.travel.state.gov

Enter your zip and select if you need a photo booth on site.

Click the links near you and there will be comments about whether reservations are needed or not.

Note: Not all facilities do a money order, so if you don't have a personal check to pay the State Department, you will have to take care of that another way.

My son ended up doing a walk-in to the nearest COUNTY CLERK OF COURT which didn't require an appointment and who were happy to process the renewal. We applied 5/04 and had the passport on 5/26 but that is with expedited service and next day postage at additional cost.
kleiner

Post by kleiner »

Here in NJ, we just went to the county clerk's office and submitted our application without any problem - no appointment was necessary. I was told it would take about 8 weeks to get the passport but we are not in a huge hurry at this time.
typical.investor

kleiner wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:16 am Here in NJ, we just went to the county clerk's office and submitted our application without any problem - no appointment was necessary. I was told it would take about 8 weeks to get the passport but we are not in a huge hurry at this time.
Note: info on county clerk’s offices can be obtained via the link in the post before the one quoted here (as well as post offices).
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

kleiner wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:16 am Here in NJ, we just went to the county clerk's office and submitted our application without any problem - no appointment was necessary. I was told it would take about 8 weeks to get the passport but we are not in a huge hurry at this time.
FYI - It could be more than 8 weeks. My minor application submitted in MAR 30. Check wasn't even cashed until MAY 5. Still waiting. Current routine service is 10-12 weeks. Good thing we don't have any international trips planned.
typical.investor

seawolf21 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:18 am
FYI - It could be more than 8 weeks. My minor application submitted in MAR 30. Check wasn't even cashed until MAY 5. Still waiting. Current routine service is 10-12 weeks. Good thing we don't have any international trips planned.
Did you sign up for status updates? I found it to be very accurate. https://passportstatus.state.gov/
renue74

Post by renue74 »

We faced the same problem back in May. I live in a midsize town of 100,000 people and it was backed up for many many weeks.

What I found....look on the USPS website for a very small town post office and call them. I found a post office in beautiful Winnsboro, South Carolina about 1 hour away from us.

They said they only get about 1 passport applicant per week! :)

I went ahead and made an appointment online for a Saturday, but the post master said she would had taken walk-in's also.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

You can in our location. Noticed yesterday that you can obtain the ID for travel as well.

Tim
duffyinvestor

Post by duffyinvestor »

I noticed that the post office appointments open 4 weeks ahead of time. I just set a reminder and logged on early at the 4 week marker and got an appointment to take my kid to the closest post office. There was availability at more times for post offices further away from the city but not in a hurry and didn't want to drive that far.
AnEngineer

Post by AnEngineer »

Katietsu wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:17 pm
lthenderson wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:07 pm I have never been in a post office that will give you a passport. They will acceptant your application and mail it off to the nearest Federal Center that does passports. I just print out the application, fill it out, walk in without appointment with my old passport and appropriate checks/money orders and the post office mails it off and 6 to 8 weeks later my passports arrive in the mail. You can get them returned sooner if you pay to expedite.
Pretty sure I did this for new passports also.

Also: I heard from someone who almost had to do it that there's some kind of special government place you can go to get one immediately, but it has to be the day of your international flight.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

AnEngineer wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:01 pm
Katietsu wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:17 pm
Pretty sure I did this for new passports also.

Also: I heard from someone who almost had to do it that there's some kind of special government place you can go to get one immediately, but it has to be the day of your international flight.
I agree the post office is just the passport application acceptance location and is not a passport agency/center. The difference between before and now is that I can no longer walk in to my local post office without an appointment and have the oath administered and the documents accepted and mailed off for a new passport. My post office actually started requiring appointments sometime before Covid. Stopped even appointments for a long time after the start of Covid. And is now extremely backed up as the OP discovered in their area as well. It sounds like there are some places that can accommodate walk ins but it is not something you should count on.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

In my city they are not accepting walk-ins. Also be aware it took mine 30 days to get from the USPS to the state department, check cashed and their web site updated to saying they are now processing the application. From here they are saying 10-12+ weeks.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

typical.investor wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:22 am
Did you sign up for status updates? I found it to be very accurate. https://passportstatus.state.gov/
Did that. It’s been same status since May 5 when check was cashed. IMO between USPS informed delivery (priority mail label being generated when passport is ready) and my bank sending email when a check is cashed, the passport status site is useless.
typical.investor

seawolf21 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:08 am
typical.investor wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:22 am
Did that. It’s been same status since May 5 when check was cashed. IMO between USPS informed delivery (priority mail label being generated when passport is ready) and my bank sending email when a check is cashed, the passport status site is useless.
I just thought the notification that it was going out was accurate. Until then, yeah nothing. But at least I knew when it was going out the door and when to expect it.
DarthSage

Post by DarthSage »

Our local branch of State U does passports. It's separate from the on-campus USPS. They only take walk-ins (or did last time we needed passports--it's been a couple years). They were very friendly and efficient. I remember I needed something--no clue as to what--but I then had to walk a few steps over to the USPS window and took care of it (maybe it was to mail the application?)

Added bonus--the passport office was in the student union, so there was a Chick-Fil-A and a Subway right there. These were much more of a draw for my kids than getting the passports.