Third Federal HELOC... Does it usually take this long?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
corp_sharecropper

Third Federal HELOC... Does it usually take this long?

Post by corp_sharecropper »

I began the process of opening a HELOC with Third Federal back on April 14th. We have been quite prompt providing all necessary documents and e-signing documents, almost always within 24hrs of the request. It is now in the final review (5 days ago). This is taking WAY longer than I imagined. Is this normal? I'm a little disappointed with the process. When I first spoke with them in April the rep said the whole thing would probably take 21 days, we're way beyond that. I have not received any indication that there's anything unique to our situation. Anyone else with a recent HELOC with Third Federal?
bkslaintesj

Re: Third Federal HELOC... Does it usually take this long?

Post by bkslaintesj »

Not sure if normal but here's my recent experience. Applied on April 8th and was approved on May 28th. Longer than expected and the few times I called, they mentioned abnormal volumes. Now waiting on next steps but have not heard anything since May 28th.
fireman

Post by fireman »

Mine took about 2 months. Applied early March. Complete early to mid May. We didn't need the line of credit for anything specific so it was no issue but I did think that it was unnecessarily long (and would have been annoyed had we obtained the line for something specific).
Count of Notre Dame

Post by Count of Notre Dame »

They seem to have the lowest rates in the nation, so their volume must be off the charts?
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

I'm in the early stages, I submitted an app a couple of weeks ago. They quoted me 75 business days originally but then I got a follow up email that it may "take longer than originally anticipated". I don't need the funds...still optimistic this will eventually happen.
rascott

Post by rascott »

Mine took less than 30 days, but that was last fall.
tonyclifton

Post by tonyclifton »

Ours started 2/11/21 and closed on 3/26/21. When we signed the paper work and I made mention of how long it seemed to take they said ours was fairly fast.
giddyup969

Post by giddyup969 »

Answered my own question
tbone555

Post by tbone555 »

I applied a little over a week ago. Just got notice that we are in review for final closing. Using a local credit union. 1.99% for first year then prime plus zero. 15 year term.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

I have one in progress right now. My loan officer warned me that their volume is off the charts and the underwriting department is the hold up and to be ready for it to take 3 months. Appraisal came in low so I'm negotiating with them at the moment.

I had a prior HELOC with them on former house 3 years ago and that one took less than 3 weeks application to close so I believe this is a temporary slowdown.