Expat Mail Forwarding. Which State did you Choose for your mailbox?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Ken.

Expat Mail Forwarding. Which State did you Choose for your mailbox?

Post by Ken. »

I relocated overseas a few months ago, and need to set up a US address from which I can have mail forwarded to me.

I was wondering for my mailbox should I choose one that is in the same state as I lived in or not. I was living in WA State which has no income tax but a 10% sales tax, so I was thinking about choosing an address in a state that has no income tax and a lower sales tax. It looks like Alaska might be good for that. But maybe I should keep my mailbox in WA state since I may not be able to renew my drivers license.

For anyone who has a mail forwarding service, did you choose the state that you lived in, or a different one?
GreendaleCC

Re: Expat Mail Forwarding. Which State did you Choose for your mailbox?

Post by GreendaleCC »

Ken. wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:35 pm I was living in WA State which has no income tax but a 10% sales tax, so I was thinking about choosing an address in a state that has no income tax and a lower sales tax
When will you pay WA sales tax when you're living overseas?
Topic Author
Ken.

Post by Ken. »

GreendaleCC wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:23 pm When will you pay WA sales tax when you're living overseas?
I still use my US credit card, which has my WA address on it, when buying from US stores.

Anyway, I was wondering is there any good reason to choose a mailbox in the state that you resided in?
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Ken. wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:54 pm
GreendaleCC wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:23 pm When will you pay WA sales tax when you're living overseas?
I still use my US credit card, which has my WA address on it, when buying from US stores.

Anyway, I was wondering is there any good reason to choose a mailbox in the state that you resided in?
It's natural to pick the same state for you've established residency and domicile. As far as sales tax goes though, it appears your shipping address matters, not your billing address. So if you're shipping abroad then it shouldn't matter.