60,000 AA Miles - Single Purchase, No Annual Fee 1st Yr

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TexasPE

60,000 AA Miles - Single Purchase, No Annual Fee 1st Yr

Post by TexasPE »

https://www.applyaviator.com/apply/Land ... llNumber=1

My wife and I just returned from a trip with the air fare paid for with bonus miles from this card. This cc only requires a single purchase to get the miles. First year's annual fee is waived. Free checked bag. Tickets can be booked in anyone's name.

Mastercard issued by Barclays, so no concern with the Chase 5-card maximum. Just received approval for the card for the third time - I sign up, get the miles, and close the account after ~two years.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
tibbitts

Re: 60,000 AA Miles - Single Purchase, No Annual Fee 1st Yr

Post by tibbitts »

TexasPE wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:00 pm https://www.applyaviator.com/apply/Land ... llNumber=1

My wife and I just returned from a trip with the air fare paid for with bonus miles from this card. This cc only requires a single purchase to get the miles. First year's annual fee is waived. Free checked bag. Tickets can be booked in anyone's name.

Mastercard issued by Barclays, so no concern with the Chase 5-card maximum. Just received approval for the card for the third time - I sign up, get the miles, and close the account after ~two years.
Interesting. Is AA the only program that still expires miles every 18mo? Not having an AA card, I have to be careful not to let my miles expire (haven't flown on any airline in over two years now.)
Topic Author
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

tibbitts wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:04 pm
Interesting. Is AA the only program that still expires miles every 18mo? Not having an AA card, I have to be careful not to let my miles expire (haven't flown on any airline in over two years now.)
Yes, still expire in 18 months, but I just convert a few points into AA miles from another mileage account - (IHG or Marriott Bonvoy credit cards in my case) or make a small purchase on the AA card to reset the 18-month clock.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
DinkinFlicka

Post by DinkinFlicka »

TexasPE wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:00 pm https://www.applyaviator.com/apply/Land ... llNumber=1
I sign up, get the miles, and close the account after ~two years.
Why do you close the account after ~2 years? Wouldn't it make sense to close it after the first year so you don't get the annual fee hit?
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

TexasPE wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:00 pm Mastercard issued by Barclays, so no concern with the Chase 5-card maximum.
As far as I know Chase doesn't have a 5 card maximum. I think what you are referring to is the Chase 5/24 rule which is you cannot have five new credit cards in the last 24 months showing your credit report. Since it is Barclays card of course it won't be subject to the Chase rule but it will count as one of the 5 for the Chase rule and potentially prevent one from getting a Chase card if it keeps you at or above 5/24.
regularguy455

Post by regularguy455 »

This is good if you’re trying to stockpile AA sky pesos. Be prepared for horrendous availability, especially international.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Just got a letter telling me I was approved. I cancelled them a few years ago to get another AA card so I wasn’t sure they would approve it. Added on to my existing aadvantage account we will have enough miles for business class to London next year. Hopefully that will be possible.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Could be YMMV if you had the card before.
This one-time offer is valid for eligible cardmembers. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program. In addition, you may not be eligible for this offer if, at any time during our relationship with you, we have cause, as determined by us in our sole discretion, to suspect that the account is being obtained or will be used for abusive or gaming activity (such as, but not limited to, obtaining or using the account to maximize rewards earned in a manner that is not consistent with typical consumer activity and/or multiple credit card account applications/openings). Please see the About This Offer section of the Terms and Conditions for important information.