South Florida Local Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Local Chapter- BH Calendar of Events & Recordings

Post by Miriam2 »

Hi South Florida Bogleheads! 🌴 8-)

For ALL upcoming Bogleheads meetings and presentations, go to the BH Blog Calendar of Events which is updated daily -
Bogleheads Calendar of Events ==> https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/

To access recordings & videos of BH online meetings & presentations, go to the Virtual Online Chapter Presentations on the BH Blog -
==> https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/portfol ... entations/
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sat May 22, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Local Chapter

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads! 🌴 8-)

Today - Sat. April 10, 2021, at 1:00 pm ET - the Bogle Center Speaker Series is presenting a live interview with favorite author, Dr. Bill Bernstein, on markets, investing, and his new book, "The Delusions of Crowds: Why People Go Mad in Groups." The interview will be conducted by Bob Pisani, CNBC senior markets correspondent.

To register, go to the Bogle Center announcement thread HERE
Bogle Center wrote:
The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy is excited to announce the next installment of the Bogleheads Speaker Series!

Saturday, April 10, 2021, 1 p.m. eastern time: Bill Bernstein in conversation with Bob Pisani (register)

Please register to see Dr. Bill Bernstein talk about the markets, investing, and his new book, The Delusions of Crowds: Why People Go Mad in Groups, with CNBC senior markets correspondent Bob Pisani. We’re thrilled to partner with Spark Network to use a new platform for this event. And we’re introducing a new feature—you’ll have the opportunity to connect for additional discussion in video rooms after the conversation.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:59 pm
dwickenh wrote: I'm just curious if there is a link to a recording of this April 6th presentation?
Thanks,
Dan
The meeting was recorded and when the links are available, we'll let you know.
Meanwhile, Mike has already provided the slides he used in his presentation. The slides are in the Master Thread for the Starting Out Life Stage -
"Starting Out" Life Stage Master Thread
Thanks Miriam!!
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Our meeting on Tues April 6, 2021, with Mike Piper, "Getting Started with Investing" was an excellent meeting and we thank Mike for his presentation :happy

Of the many important lessons Mike pointed out, this one resonated with me: "There is no perfect portfolio. There are plenty of good-enough portfolios that will get you where you want to be and where you want to go. There is no best fund either. There are plenty of good, low cost funds, especially index funds, that will serve your purpose well."
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Meeting reminder from Chicago Virtual Bogleheads -

This Thursday 4/15/2021 at 8:00 pm ET the developer of financial tool cfiresim will demonstrate the product and participate in a Q & A session about it.

You can try out the product here https://www.cfiresim.com/

The zoom link is in the Blog Calendar of Upcoming Events here. in the 4/15 Chicago BH entry - note those times on the calendar are EASTERN - you can add it to your calendar (and it will correct for your time zone by clicking COPY TO MY CALENDAR) There is also a google calendar link that you can add to your calendar so all Boglehead events will appear on your calendar.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting, you can also contact HoosierJim via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message him with your email, or email or PM me.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Our next South Florida local chapter meeting is with the Tampa Bogleheads on Tues. April 27, 2021, at 8:00 pm EDT

The Tampa chapter has invited Mark Zoril and his colleague Jason Lynch from PlanVision, a financial planning service using eMoney. PlanVision offers remote virtual financial planning.

They will discuss their investing philosophy and the following two topics, plus they have allowed ample time for general Q & A:
-- Considerations in structuring your investments before and after retirement
-- How technology will help people take more control over their finances

The meeting is not intended as an "infomercial" for their service, nor a "deep dive" into their business model and eMoney platform. However, if there is sufficient interest, Tampa will schedule a follow-up meeting with PlanVision for a more in-depth discussion of their services.

Targeted audience: General (for all Life Stages)

For the zoom link, email SFLBogleheads@gmail.com or send me a PM (private message), or email or PM Tampa Bogleheads at main@tampabaybogleheads.groups.io. In addition, the zoom link may be found in the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events. :happy
nikitash

Post by nikitash »

How could I be part of this local chapter. I am interested.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

nikitash wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:59 pm How could I be part of this local chapter. I am interested.
Hi nikitash - I sent you a PM (private message), please pick it up for information 8-)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

For our next South Florida chapter meeting, we're going to hitch a ride with the Indiana Bogleheads chapter on Monday, May 3, 2021, at 7:00 pm ET

This is an exciting meeting featuring Paul Merriman, a well-known financial writer and delightful speaker with lots to talk about :D

Paul's topic is: "We're Talking Millions!" :moneybag He will have a 1-1/2 hour presentation followed by a 30 min open Q & A session.

Although Paul's presentation will focus on the age 20-40 demographic, those most involved in the accumulation phase of their investing journey, all Life Stages and ages will benefit from this presentation.

Presentation Outline:
  • Ultimate Buy and Hold Strategy
  • Simpler Strategy: 4 Funds for Life
  • Using these strategies with Vanguard, Charles Schwab, Fidelity, and T. Rowe Price.
  • Best in Class Funds
  • 2 Funds for life Strategy
  • Fine-tuning tables discussing strategies above using historical data from 1970-2020.
  • Basic overview of the importance of choosing your Distribution Strategy in retirement Fixed Income Strategy vs Variable Strategy.
Paul will discuss "value based" investing strategies (value fund investing) that he believes can potentially increase your wealth building power with some simple changes to your asset allocation. This meeting is co-hosted by The Merriman Financial Education Foundation.

Paul is also a Boglehead 8-) who has made numerous posts over the years explaining his investing philosophy and portfolios. He posts as paul merriman - To find his posts click HERE.

To find a more detailed Indiana meeting agenda, registration, and more about Paul Merriman click HERE.

Email me at SFLBogleheads@gmail.com, or PM me here for the Zoom link for this meeting. Also check the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events - the zoom link may be posted there. You can also use the Indiana/Merriman registration form to be added to the event and ask your Q to Paul.
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sat May 01, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nikitash

Post by nikitash »

Hello,

Thank you for the information.

I would Like to have a Zoom link please.
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Local Chapter- Next Meeting- Allan Roth 5/20/21 - 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Our next South Florida local chapter meeting is on Thursday, May 20, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET

This will be an online presentation by Allan Roth hosted by the San Antonio Bogleheads Chapter.

This will be an enjoyable interactive meeting on Zoom with ample time for Q & A on all personal finance topics, beginners to serious investors. The San Antonio Chapter is also collecting Qs ahead of the meeting if you wish to submit Qs to their website - SanAntonioBogleheads@gmail.com

Life stage = everyone, every stage :happy

Allan is an MBA, CPA, CFP, and is extremely knowledgeable and a delightful presenter and Bogleheads favorite. He has been on the Panel of Experts at the Bogleheads Conferences for many years.

Here is some more information about Allan -
-- well-known author of "How a Second Grader Beats Wall Street"
-- financial website Wealth Logic/Dare to be Dull - www.DareToBeDull.com/overviewbio/
-- guest on Rick Ferri's "Bogleheads On Investing Podcast" - Episode 008
-- he grew up in South Florida - how cool is that! 8-)

To receive the zoom link for this presentation, email SFLBogleheads@gmail.com, or SanAntonioBogleheads@gmail.com, or send me a PM. Please also check the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events - zoom links are often posted on the calendar.

Hope everyone can join us for the meeting :happy
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sat May 15, 2021 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Allan Roth

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Mariam2:

When Allan speaks--I listen. No one is better informed about successful investing.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "The best advisors can help you develop a long-range investment strategy and an intelligent plan for its implementation."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Allan Roth

Post by abuss368 »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:11 am Mariam2:

When Allan speaks--I listen. No one is better informed about successful investing.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "The best advisors can help you develop a long-range investment strategy and an intelligent plan for its implementation."
Hi Taylor -

I would agree Alan is very informative and knowledgeable. He brings a unique perspective from being both a CPA and CFP.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Chapter- BH Speaker Series- Ron Lieber 6/5/21-1:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

The next Bogleheads Speaker Series presentation will be very interesting for anyone college bound or in-college-debt.

Saturday, June 5, 2021, 1:00 pm ET - Ron Lieber speaking with Rick Ferri on "The Price You Pay for College"

Click HERE to register for the presentation.
Bogle Center wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:26 pm The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy is pleased to present the next event in the Bogleheads Speaker Series!

Saturday, June 5, 2021, 1 p.m. eastern time: Bogleheads Speaker Series: Ron Lieber speaking with Rick Ferri on preparing for college

New York Times financial columnist and author Ron Lieber’s new book, The Price You Pay for College, provides a roadmap to help families navigate the often difficult and confusing journey of preparing for college. In this discussion with Rick Ferri, Ron will touch on the most important college-planning topics, from choosing the right school to figuring out the right ways to save, borrow, and bargain for a better deal.

Please note that the first and last name entered during registration will be displayed for those who participate in the live chat during the event. Feel free to use an alias if you aren’t comfortable with having your name displayed in the chat.

The Bogleheads Speaker Series is provided free of charge. Please consider a tax-deductible contribution to the Bogle Center to help offset our costs and continue with this and other educational programs. The event will be recorded and posted to the Bogle Center’s website.

The Bogle Center Board
www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=349944
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Chapter- "Retired" Life Stage Discussion- Tues 6/8/21- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Our next zoom meeting is with the new "Retired" Life Stage Virtual Chapter on Tues June 8, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET

This will be the first meeting of the "Retired" Life Stage Virtual Chapter and the topic will be - "I'm From the Retirement Class of "____" and These Are Some Lessons I've Learned" ... with open Q&A to follow. This promises to be a very interesting and enjoyable meeting for everyone, including those nowhere near retirement - always good to know what to expect down the road 8-)

The new "Retired" Life Stage Virtual Chapter is one of the four "Life Stage" Virtual Chapters that focus on key issues for each phase of the investing life cycle. The Mission of the Retired Life Stage is to share perspectives and resources focusing on topics relevant for near or current retirees.

Here's a sample of some Qs already submitted, plus the moderator will take Qs "live" from participants.
-- With so many retirement drawdown strategies, how should we decide which is best for us?
-- Techniques or tools other use to do tax planning
-- How do we begin to discuss (or not) our finances with our children?
-- What percent of stocks and bonds do you hold as you grow older in retirement?
-- Advice about working with an elder law attorney to establish a trust, especially for a solo concerned about the possibility of cognitive decline
-- What's ONE thing you wish you knew before retiring?
-- Do you involve your CPA and/or financial advisor when you draft/review/finalize your estate planning documents in regards to tax strategies? If you do involve them, how much do you share with your CPA or FA?
-- How to handle health insurance if retired before age 65 (when Medicare begins)
-- What surprises have you encountered in retirement that you could have been better prepared for?
To ensure that everybody is comfortable asking and answering Qs, the meeting will not be recorded. However, for a more social interaction, participants are encouraged to be "on-camera," again, that's optional.

You can RSVP for the meeting & submit Qs HERE. All responses are anonymous.

The Zoom link is posted on the BH Blog Calendar of Events- https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/
You can also email me at SFLBogleheads@gmail.com or PM me here for the zoom link.

For those who find Zoom difficult, remember all you need to do (if you're using a desktop or laptop) is click on the zoom link https://... - forget about the phone one-tap mobile or dial by location stuff :wink:
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Chapter- Minn. meeting w/ Allan Roth & Mel Lindauer- Sat 6/12/21- 12 noon ET

Post by Miriam2 »

The Minnesota Bogleheads are hosting Allan Roth & Mel Lindauer for a presentation and Q & A meeting on Sat 6/12/21- 12 noon ET.

The Minnesota Bogleheads have great meetings; in fact, two Minnesota BHs, Peter Foley and the meeting host, Jeff MC, wrote several chapters in the "Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning."

For the Zoom link, email SFLBogleheads@gmail.com or send me a PM.

Enjoy!
Miriam