Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021!

Post by Miriam2 »

walkindude wrote: I'm signing up!
Although I will continue to take small consulting jobs (I've been an electrical engineering consultant for over 20 years) if they're very fun and isolated, I consider myself done as of 3/23/21.
Congratulations walkindude! and welcome to this Great Retirement Roll Call! You're added to this incredible list :D
walkindude wrote:I will exercise (run, bike, hike, kayak, golf, stretch, and lift to name a few) and travel (kids, then domestically for a while, but hopefully internationally again in 2022 and beyond).

Thanks to the many members here who woke me up to the RMD tax bomb at 70/72 (I'll be 63 in July), IRMAA, Roth conversions and many other tax issues that made it much easier to pull the plug now.

This site is invaluable - Donate now!
Great plans! That's a lot of exercise, your classmates are very impressed :happy And for sure, this is a most incredible site for personal finance help. Donations are important!

We hope you have a long, happy and healthy retirement, enjoying all your wonderful plans and travel, with no RMD tax bomb worries :beer
mchop

Post by mchop »

March 16th! I took a sabbatical last summer and kept dragging it out. When I was asked to take on a new project in early March, I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach and struggled to breathe. That was my sign. I was an IT consultant for 25 yrs.

My wife works 32 hrs a week for the state and provides health insurance. I started working 2 days a week at a local bike shop as a mechanic and life is great. I have honestly never been so busy and fulfilled as I am now. I am also volunteering at two non profits (related to my bicycle passion).

I am 50. Thankfully discovered this forum in 2008 when I became a US citizen and moved all my funds to the US. Vanguard 60/40 since that date.

Regards
walkindude

Post by walkindude »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:48 pm
walkindude wrote: I'm signing up!
Although I will continue to take small consulting jobs (I've been an electrical engineering consultant for over 20 years) if they're very fun and isolated, I consider myself done as of 3/23/21.
Congratulations walkindude! and welcome to this Great Retirement Roll Call! You're added to this incredible list :D
walkindude wrote:I will exercise (run, bike, hike, kayak, golf, stretch, and lift to name a few) and travel (kids, then domestically for a while, but hopefully internationally again in 2022 and beyond).

Thanks to the many members here who woke me up to the RMD tax bomb at 70/72 (I'll be 63 in July), IRMAA, Roth conversions and many other tax issues that made it much easier to pull the plug now.

This site is invaluable - Donate now!
Great plans! That's a lot of exercise, your classmates are very impressed :happy And for sure, this is a most incredible site for personal finance help. Donations are important!

We hope you have a long, happy and healthy retirement, enjoying all your wonderful plans and travel, with no RMD tax bomb worries :beer
Thanks, I'll do my best to nip them in the bud!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

journey wrote: Long-time lurker here. The last day of work for DH and me (ages 55 and 56) was 1/19/2021.
Welcome to the Bogleheads, journey! And a warm welcome to the Retirement Class of 2021 :happy
journey wrote: The last day of work for DH and me (ages 55 and 56) was 1/19/2021. It was fun to resign at the same time so we could begin our new chapter together. We were FIRE people from our first paychecks, well before we heard the term 'FIRE.' That allowed us to walk away from high-stress megacorp jobs (different companies, both in IT) and we are now happier, healthier, and busier than ever, savoring every moment of retirement with zero regret.
What a neat story! Thank you for sharing your journey to retirement :D What are your plans for this new chapter of your lives and what's keeping you so busy?
journey wrote:Thank you, BH community, for being a tremendous source of information and inspiration!
:sharebeer
Great way to put it - "a tremendous source of information and inspiration." There is nothing comparable 8-)

Did you know - the Bogleheads community was created (as the Vanguard Diehards) in 1998 by Taylor Larimore - he saw what the internet could do and thought individual investors from around the country could meet on the internet and discuss the investing philosophy of Jack Bogle and help each other with their investing questions. His vision has been a remarkable success.
journey

Post by journey »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:58 am
journey wrote: Long-time lurker here. The last day of work for DH and me (ages 55 and 56) was 1/19/2021.
Welcome to the Bogleheads, journey! And a warm welcome to the Retirement Class of 2021 :happy
Thank you for your kind welcome, Miriam2!

Health issues through my 20s resulted in not finishing my BSc until age 31. Started work on my 31st birthday for $10/hour, then worked through grad school at night. Countless blessings and supporters along the way made my story possible. Our intense awareness of the brevity and fragility of life led us to retire early.
journey wrote: The last day of work for DH and me (ages 55 and 56) was 1/19/2021. It was fun to resign at the same time so we could begin our new chapter together. We were FIRE people from our first paychecks, well before we heard the term 'FIRE.' That allowed us to walk away from high-stress megacorp jobs (different companies, both in IT) and we are now happier, healthier, and busier than ever, savoring every moment of retirement with zero regret.
What a neat story! Thank you for sharing your journey to retirement :D What are your plans for this new chapter of your lives and what's keeping you so busy?
As recommended, we prepared a list of activities TO which we would ‘retire’ (30+ items!). From that list, so far, we are exercising 2x/day, gardening daily, cooking new recipes, working on home projects, volunteering, and researching our genealogy. And like so many, we are anxious to resume our favorite activity: immersion travel.
journey wrote: Thank you, BH community, for being a tremendous source of information and inspiration!
:sharebeer
Great way to put it - "a tremendous source of information and inspiration." There is nothing comparable 8-)

Did you know - the Bogleheads community was created (as the Vanguard Diehards) in 1998 by Taylor Larimore - he saw what the internet could do and thought individual investors from around the country could meet on the internet and discuss the investing philosophy of Jack Bogle and help each other with their investing questions. His vision has been a remarkable success.
I didn’t know that so thank you, and thank you to Taylor Larimore! This forum keeps us happily humble. :D
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Miriam2 wrote:

Miriam2:

Correction: The Diehards community was not created by me alone. There were several other Diehards involved including Mel Lindauer. I cannot remember the other names but I assure you I have not forgotten their contribution.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “Successful investing doesn’t require sophistication and complexity; all that’s necessary is a healthy dose of common sense.”
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Swee'pea

Post by Swee'pea »

Swee'pea wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:20 pm I am glad for the opportunity to anchor my retirement plan to a date - May 31, 2021 (age 62). This is possible because of information provided by the generous Boglehead community.
This is it, my first day of freedom from job stresses. It feels so good! :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Swee'pea wrote: I am glad for the opportunity to anchor my retirement plan to a date - May 31, 2021 (age 62). This is possible because of information provided by the generous Boglehead community.
//
//
This is it, my first day of freedom from job stresses. It feels so good! :beer
Way to go, Swee'pea! You made it to the end of the work tunnel :D You're gonna love the days without the load of job stress. Now you can spend all your days reading the Bogleheads forum! We wish you many good years of retirement relaxing and enjoying the freedom to explore what you want 8-)
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

So I'm official, last day was Friday 5/28. I'm not sure how I feel, mostly surreal now that I'm retired. I'll check back from time to time to report my progress. Many, many thanks to all the BH members for their wisdom and guidance.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

radiowave wrote: So I'm official, last day was Friday 5/28. I'm not sure how I feel, mostly surreal now that I'm retired. I'll check back from time to time to report my progress. Many, many thanks to all the BH members for their wisdom and guidance.
We're very happy for you, radiowave! Good you finally made the big decision - you appear to have had an interesting career with great memories - but now onward to greater and very enjoyable things! Please check back in more often than "from time to time" :D

Wishing you all the best for a wonderful retirement full of health and happiness, family and friends, lots of new adventures and plenty of time to do nothing but simply enjoy your new life :beer
Last edited by Miriam2 on Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Candor

Post by Candor »

Today is officially my last day after 28 years at the same company but I turned in my laptop and phone yesterday and I work form home so I'm not working today. My company car is scheduled to be picked up this afternoon and then it will really be final.

Age 53 with a modest portfolio by BH standards with no pension so I'm not sure if my retirement would be BH approved but I'm running with it. :D
Time is your friend, impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Candor wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:45 am Today is officially my last day after 28 years at the same company but I turned in my laptop and phone yesterday and I work form home so I'm not working today. My company car is scheduled to be picked up this afternoon and then it will really be final.

Age 53 with a modest portfolio by BH standards with no pension so I'm not sure if my retirement would be BH approved but I'm running with it. :D
Congrats, are you doing a full retirement with no intention to ever earn a paycheck again or keeping your options open?
Candor

Post by Candor »

stan1 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:46 am
Candor wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:45 am Today is officially my last day after 28 years at the same company but I turned in my laptop and phone yesterday and I work form home so I'm not working today. My company car is scheduled to be picked up this afternoon and then it will really be final.

Congrats, are you doing a full retirement with no intention to ever earn a paycheck again or keeping your options open?
Thanks Stan. No, I have no intention to return to work. I decided to retire earlier than I had planned due to some work dynamics so I'm not as well positioned as I was hoping for but I will make it work come what may. The pandemic made me realize how frugal I could live if needed and my budget is a long way from that so I will be good.
Time is your friend, impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Retirement Roll Call- BH Speaker Series- Ron Lieber on College Finance- 6/5/21- 1:00pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

For all retirees or upcoming retirees who are still in the "College Years" :mrgreen: perhaps with kids or grandkids, Ron Lieber will be speaking tomorrow in a Bogle Center Speaker Series interview by Rick Ferri.

This Bogleheads Speaker Series presentation will be very interesting for anyone college bound or in-college-debt, etc.

Saturday, June 5, 2021, 1:00 pm ET - Ron Lieber speaking with Rick Ferri on "The Price You Pay for College"

Click HERE to register for the presentation.
Bogle Center wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:26 pm The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy is pleased to present the next event in the Bogleheads Speaker Series!

Saturday, June 5, 2021, 1 p.m. eastern time: Bogleheads Speaker Series: Ron Lieber speaking with Rick Ferri on preparing for college

New York Times financial columnist and author Ron Lieber’s new book, The Price You Pay for College, provides a roadmap to help families navigate the often difficult and confusing journey of preparing for college. In this discussion with Rick Ferri, Ron will touch on the most important college-planning topics, from choosing the right school to figuring out the right ways to save, borrow, and bargain for a better deal.

Please note that the first and last name entered during registration will be displayed for those who participate in the live chat during the event. Feel free to use an alias if you aren’t comfortable with having your name displayed in the chat.

The Bogleheads Speaker Series is provided free of charge. Please consider a tax-deductible contribution to the Bogle Center to help offset our costs and continue with this and other educational programs. The event will be recorded and posted to the Bogle Center’s website.

The Bogle Center Board
www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=349944
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

mchop wrote: March 16th! I took a sabbatical last summer and kept dragging it out. When I was asked to take on a new project in early March, I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach and struggled to breathe. That was my sign. I was an IT consultant for 25 yrs.
Welcome to this Retirement Roll Call, Mchop! we're happy you caught your breath and enjoy having you join the class! Plus we all need an IT expert and you're gonna be the first classmate we're gonna call :D (I know, "Is your computer plugged in? Is your computer turned on?" . . .)
My wife works 32 hrs a week for the state and provides health insurance. I started working 2 days a week at a local bike shop as a mechanic and life is great. I have honestly never been so busy and fulfilled as I am now. I am also volunteering at two non profits (related to my bicycle passion).
Now that's a neat retirement activity 8-) And what's most important is that you feel fulfilled. We hope your passion and feeling of fulfillment continues and keeps rolling along :mrgreen:
I am 50. Thankfully discovered this forum in 2008 when I became a US citizen and moved all my funds to the US. Vanguard 60/40 since that date.
Thank you for sharing your story. We wish you a fabulous retirement :happy
Fiddle-Bow

Post by Fiddle-Bow »

It’s official that my retirement date will be June 15 and I’m 60 years old. I’ve been at the same place for almost 38 years. I was fortunate to get a test run last Summer with a 3 month furlough and loved it. I couldn’t believe how good it felt to wake up everyday to do as I please.
After the furlough I went back to work at the mega-Corp and hoped for an early retirement package. Found out in May there wasn’t going to be a retirement package offer this year so, I announced my retirement anyway.
My plans are to enjoy more time fly fishing. I also play fiddle and spend time biking, hiking and canoeing.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

"There's one thing I've always wanted to do before I quit. Retire."

(Groucho Marx in "Animal Crackers")

We are delighted to announce that the Highly Respected Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022 is now open :D

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=350913
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

I’m crashing the party! July 1 is the official date. We bought our first house last November. I’m learning how to do things like mowing the lawn, backing into a garage, and buying stuff. So much more space than an alley studio! Wow doing anything it’s like going on a hike! OK good night, the days are flashing by and I need to blink!