roofing question - measurement services

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tibbitts

roofing question - measurement services

Post by tibbitts »

I have an insurance claim for hail damage. My insurer uses Eagleview for roof measurements; the only contractor who's given me an estimate (most contractors won't give measurements or estimates until you agree to pay them) so far uses GAF Quickmeasure. I believe in the early 2010s, GAF partnered with Eagleview to provide (rebranded, I assume) measuring services, but I can't find any recent references to how GAF provides measurements now in 2021. In any case the Eagleview and GAF measurements for my house today are substantially (more than 5%) different. And compared to what the same insurance company estimated in 2009 - it's like my house should be in a Weight Watchers commercial. None of the measuring companies has a consumer contact I can find so I'm wondering if anyone knows.

Of course if I was willing to climb on the roof I could measure it (it's a moderately complex roof for such a small house), but I don't want to.
Globalviewer58

Re: roofing question - measurement services

Post by Globalviewer58 »

The comparison of Eagleview to contractor estimating by program and actual on the roof measurements shows as much as 33% higher and 28% less than the Eagleview answer. See article on the Eagleview website: https://www.eagleview.com/casestudy/ins ... surements/

Your insurance carrier likely provides an allowance if the actual work is greater than Eagleview estimate. So you might ask contractors to bid based on the Eagleview report. That saves them the time of preparing a new estimate.
Topic Author
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Globalviewer58 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:49 pm The comparison of Eagleview to contractor estimating by program and actual on the roof measurements shows as much as 33% higher and 28% less than the Eagleview answer. See article on the Eagleview website: https://www.eagleview.com/casestudy/ins ... surements/

Your insurance carrier likely provides an allowance if the actual work is greater than Eagleview estimate. So you might ask contractors to bid based on the Eagleview report. That saves them the time of preparing a new estimate.
Eagleview (from insurance) calculates the roof much smaller than the contractor estimate, which was done with GAF's version of aerial imaging software. If insurance showed a larger surface, that wouldn't be a problem.

Roofers have said what you have, but the insurance company is adamant about having any overage in costs pre-approved - which I think is understandable. I can definitely picture the contractor telling me "well, in every other case in recorded history the insurance company has agreed to pay the extra supplement, except in yours, so here's this bill for $3,483."
Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 »

Have you forwarded the GAF estimate to your insurance adjuster to document the proposed overages? This should be helpful for discussion with the adjuster.

You can buy a GAF estimate online for about $18 per residential building to compare to the contractor’s report.
Topic Author
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Globalviewer58 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:12 pm Have you forwarded the GAF estimate to your insurance adjuster to document the proposed overages? This should be helpful for discussion with the adjuster.

You can buy a GAF estimate online for about $18 per residential building to compare to the contractor’s report.
No, so far insurance says Eagleview is the best product and isn't interested in discussing discussing the measurements. I was asking because I don't know whether Eagleview is also GAF - in other words, whether by definition if the results have to be the same. If that's true then something else would have to be wrong.

Basically the situation is that roofers maintain that whatever they're going to charge they can recover from insurance, less the deductible which I'm responsible for. My objective is simply to have everybody agree on the scope of work and how much it will cost - and whether insurance will pay for it - before I hand over any money to anybody. That isn't how roofers/contractors want to operate. This isn't just about roofing, since obviously siding, windows, gutters, electrical and plumbing damage is involved. I understand that there can be additional damage found beyond what can be detected without disassembly, but I don't understand why I'm the only customer who expects everybody to be on the same page to start out with.