Comcast Wifi hotspot Q's

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tennisplyr

Comcast Wifi hotspot Q's

Post by tennisplyr »

If I'm out of my house using Comcast's hotspot, am I using data from my plan to access the Internet? Are there (security) things I shouldn't be doing with hotspots...what are the negative aspects of using hotspots instead for my own access?
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
02nz

Re: Comcast Wifi hotspot Q's

Post by 02nz »

tennisplyr wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:14 pm If I'm out of my house using Comcast's hotspot, am I using data from my plan to access the Internet? Are there (security) things I shouldn't be doing with hotspots...what are the negative aspects of using hotspots instead for my own access?
Do you mean the hotspot named "XFINITY" that seems to be available everywhere? The reason it's everywhere is that basically Comcast has turned their customers' cable gateways into hotspots. It can be disabled, but many people don't even know Comcast is using their equipment as a wifi hotspot. One reason I only use my own modem (with a standalone wifi router that Comcast obviously doesn't control).

From your perspective, no it doesn't count toward your data allowance, and the customer who's renting that gateway cannot (certainly should not be able to) see your data/activity, and generally most internet pages (even non-banking ones) are encrypted these days. But you should practice the same security measures as you would with any public wifi hotspot (like Starbucks). So I probably wouldn't do my online banking while connected this way, and I probably wouldn't connect a laptop or Android device this way at all; iPhone is less of a concern because of its "sandboxing."
Last edited by 02nz on Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

tennisplyr wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:14 pm If I'm out of my house using Comcast's hotspot, am I using data from my plan to access the Internet?
You are not using your data while on a Comcast (or any other) wifi connection. In fact, I typically leave my data off, only switching it on rarely when I need to access the internet or another app and wifi isn't available.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

tennisplyr wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:14 pm If I'm out of my house using Comcast's hotspot, am I using data from my plan to access the Internet? Are there (security) things I shouldn't be doing with hotspots...what are the negative aspects of using hotspots instead for my own access?
The xfinitywifi hotspot connection is unsecured. Use at your own risk.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Trader Joe wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:45 pm
True, but at least in my area I usually have 2 xfinity hot spots. There's xfiitywifi, which is unsecured. There's also XFINITY (all caps), which I believe is secured.
student

Post by student »

neilpilot wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:19 pm
Trader Joe wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:45 pm
True, but at least in my area I usually have 2 xfinity hot spots. There's xfiitywifi, which is unsecured. There's also XFINITY (all caps), which I believe is secured.
This is my understanding. https://www.xfinity.com/support/article ... inity-wifi
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

XFINITY is relatively new secured hotspot and it requires login with xfinity username and password.

Xfinitywifi has been around for a long time and it is unsecured.

It is unfortunate that many xfinity customers don’t know how to avoid becoming “involuntary” providers of hotspot.
johnnyc321

Post by johnnyc321 »

How do you know that these xfinitywifi and XFINITY "hotspots" are actual xfinity modems and not just networks set up by someone with the sole purpose of hacking your phone? You don't. This is why you should not connect to Xfinity Wifi networks.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

Use a reliable VPN.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

johnnyc321 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:29 pm How do you know that these xfinitywifi and XFINITY "hotspots" are actual xfinity modems and not just networks set up by someone with the sole purpose of hacking your phone? You don't. This is why you should not connect to Xfinity Wifi networks.
xfinitywifi is not open for public. Requires Xfinity credential and eligible internet plan... This has been my experience.
“Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy.” — John C. Bogle
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

johnnyc321 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:29 pm How do you know that these xfinitywifi and XFINITY "hotspots" are actual xfinity modems and not just networks set up by someone with the sole purpose of hacking your phone? You don't. This is why you should not connect to Xfinity Wifi networks.
Do you have any evidence this has ever happened, anywhere?

A local restaurant has Xfinity internet as do many other nearby businesses and friends. I find it very convenient to have a secure Wifi connection available. When friends visit my house who are Comcast customers, they automatically connect to my local instance, without needing my password, or having access to my network, or using my bandwidth.

Comcast has major faults, but this feature is awesome. These complaints make Bogleheads seem both non-frugal and a bit paranoid.

Marylander1