Amazon prime card 6/21-6/22

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
RevFran

Amazon prime card 6/21-6/22

Post by RevFran »

From Amazon: “ 6% back on Amazon.com for Amazon Prime Store Card and Amazon Prime Secured Card members from 6/21 to 6/22, and 6% back at Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market from 6/21 to 6/22 for Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card members with an eligible Prime membership”

Two questions: does “Amazon prime secure card” mean the chase Amazon credit card?

Does this apply to Amazon gift cards (in which case, if one is a massive Amazon shopper with cash sitting around, wouldn’t it make sense to purchase zillions of dollars of Amazon gift cards on 7/21?)
gwe67

Re: Amazon prime card 6/21-6/22

Post by gwe67 »

You can just use the Amazon Chase VISA and get 5% cash back all year.
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

Looks like this is one of those "credit cards for people with no credit score". I was wondering how issuers intended to implement these. Apparently, they require the cardholders to give them an up front deposit, hence it is "secured".

https://www.amazon.com/Synchrony-Bank-A ... B084KP3NG6

"The Amazon Prime Secured Card is built for people who are new to credit, or who would like to rebuild their credit.

This card has no annual fee, can be used at Amazon.com and Amazon physical stores, and your payment activity is reported to major credit bureaus to help you build a credit history. With the card you will also have access to your credit score, along with tools, guidance and tips to help you improve your credit.

This unique account initially requires an upfront deposit like a secured credit card, but will provide you an opportunity to convert into a traditional credit card with no deposit required, based on responsible credit usage and eligibility criteria."

I think the "Store Card" here refers to the normal Synchrony Bank credit card with Amazon, not the Chase credit card, since Synchrony issues the Secured Card that turns into the Store Card.
Topic Author
RevFran

Post by RevFran »

Replying to gwe67: Sure, but let’s imagine you have the visa and spend $500/month at Amazon. If Amazon gift cards count in this 6% offer, then may as well buy $6,000 of gift cards (assuming you have cash earning less than 1%) and spend them down over the year, no? A small savings, I realize.

Replying to hi there: thanks for the clarification about the card (I am realizing I’m unfamiliar with the term “secured card”)
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Go to the source: https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Card-Bonus ... 7934980011
Get access to extra rewards on Prime Day and everyday!
Limited time offers including 10% back on select Small Business brands from 6/7 to 6/20, 6% back on Amazon.com for Amazon Prime Store Card and Amazon Prime Secured Card members from 6/21 to 6/22, and 6% back at Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market from 6/21 to 6/22 for Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card members with an eligible Prime membership.
So it's actually for 3 different cards.