Gold [buying/storing]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
NiceUnparticularMan

Re: Gold [buying/storing]

Post by NiceUnparticularMan »

permport wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:14 pm
GRP wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:44 pm https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspecu ... e9cf685fd2

Even more undeniable evidence of the obvious regarding gold's utility. This, again, is on top of the thousands of years of economic history to which there still has not been a halfway decent rebuttal by anyone.
demand for the yellow metal rises when inflation threatens to destroy a nation’s currency—as it’s doing right now in Venezuela. A Venezuelan family that had the prudence to store some of its wealth in gold would be in a much better position today to survive or escape President Maduro’s corrupt, far-left regime.
In extreme cases like this, gold could literally help save lives.
Such was the case following the fall of Saigon in 1975. If not for gold, many South Vietnamese families might not have managed to escape the country. A seat on one of the thousands of fleeing boats reportedly went for eight or 10 taels of gold per adult, four or five taels per child. (A tael is slightly more than an ounce.) Gold was their passport. Thanks to the precious metal, tens of thousands of Vietnamese “boat people,” as they’re now known, were able to start new lives in the U.S., Canada, Australia and other developed countries.
Events described above in the article have happened time and time again. For thousands of years. The facts are in. The prudent are past this point of debate.

Gold is inflation protection. Period. It is wealth protection. Period. It is disaster protection. Period. And of course the ideologues will continue to deny, deny, deny, obfuscate, and hand wave. And then of course continue to accuse others of doing what they are doing.
Yup, yup, and yup.

The debate is over for those who are educated on the issue.
Well, I certainly hope people are now a bit more educated after this discussion.

But either way, I agree this debate is over.
GRP

Post by GRP »

Yup, yup, and yup.

I take it by your username that you are a Permanent Portfolio adherent?
seajay

Post by seajay »

NiceUnparticularMan wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:25 pmThe other part about there being a risk-premium associated with free-floating gold
Not since March 2019 gold of course when the Bank for International Settlements (central bank of banks) reclassified gold as being tier 1, risk-free, equal with a cash dollar, counted at market value not reduced value as it was when previously tier 3.
All Seasons

Post by All Seasons »

The undeniable reality of gold providing inflation protection.

Pu239

Post by Pu239 »

All Seasons wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:29 pm The undeniable reality of gold providing inflation protection.

Hyperinflation protection. An important distinction.
Between the idea And the reality...Between the motion And the act...Falls the Shadow - T. S. Eliot
seajay

Post by seajay »

The undeniable reality of gold providing inflation protection
Hyperinflation protection. An important distinction.
Hyperinflation = speed of change

RAchip

Post by RAchip »

So, is there a consensus on one of the original questions? Where do I store my gold coins if I have about 100 gold eagles?
All Seasons

Post by All Seasons »

Best I can tell, the general consensus for prudent gold storage is diversification.

So, having maybe some coins in a safe, some in a safe deposit box, some held via certificates at the Perth Mint, and some in ETF form.

Mike Maloney has some great resources on his website regarding gold/silver storage. Take this article as an example: https://goldsilver.com/blog/why-mike-ma ... d-storage/

You can even wear some of your wealth in jewelry form. Mene for instance sells so-called "investment grade" jewelry so that your gold doesn't just have to sit in a vault all the time. https://mene.com/
permport

Post by permport »

GRP wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:04 pm
Yup, yup, and yup.

I take it by your username that you are a Permanent Portfolio adherent?
I have been off and on, yes. Currently on. :sharebeer
Buy right and hold tight.