Where on my IRS website account do I find 1099/W2 income reported?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy

Where on my IRS website account do I find 1099/W2 income reported?

Post by Kennedy »

I have logged into my IRS account to the "Get Transcript" section. I have also clicked on the "Wage and Income Transcript" section. I don't see there any 1099s or W2s reported to the IRS from an employer, businesses my spouse did independent contractor work for or any interest from banks.

I want to make sure we aren't forgetting to report some income on our end. Is there another section somewhere on the site where I can review all the income reported to the IRS by third parties (banks, employer, etc.)?
inverter

Re: Where on my IRS website account do I find 1099/W2 income reported?

Post by inverter »

They don't allow you to see it until you file a return. Not sure why, but one guess would be to prevent someone from seeing whether a 1099 WASN'T sent in.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

inverter wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:45 pm They don't allow you to see it until you file a return. Not sure why, but one guess would be to prevent someone from seeing whether a 1099 WASN'T sent in.
Is that recent? A couple of years ago I helped a client file back returns for multiple years. She had no records and was able to get the W2s and 1099s off the IRS site.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Not sure about the answer as to where and how you will be able to see it. However, historically, the wage and income tax transcript is not available until some time in June. Not sure if this will be impacted by all the other IRS delays or not.