What is your favorite portfolio management tool or calculator?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Sahara

What is your favorite portfolio management tool or calculator?

Post by Sahara »

There have been a number of recent discussions regarding retirement calculators. Many of these tools require the user to input portfolio information from other resources. I know many people have their own excel spreadsheets, use aggregators such as Personal Capital, or rely upon their brokerage statements to track and manage their portfolio information.

I'm curious whether anyone has a favorite tool for tracking assets and asset allocation? In addition, does/how does that tool interact with the retirement planning tools/calculators?
dratkinson

Re: What is your favorite portfolio management tool or calculator?

Post by dratkinson »

I track my investments in Excel.

My list of other favorite free tools.
--"Morningstar, Portfolio X-Ray Tool". (Free access from public library account. What is your investing style?)
--"FINRA Fund Analyzer". (What are your investment cost? Doesn't include costs added FA.)
--"Portfolio Visualizer, Backtest Portfolio". (Subtract your costs (loads, FA fees, taxes) from historical return.)
--"Excel1040.com". (Test any planned change against last fed tax return. What is effect on after-tax income?)

If just starting out, above tools should let you wag the goodness of your investments by comparing them to a 3-fund portfolio: VTSAX+VTIAX+VBTLX, or VTI+VXUS+BND.

And if you have a 3-fund portfolio, then running simulated tax returns will let you wag the after-tax income effect of a planned change. If a planned change results in a little more after-tax income, but more work/risk, then I don't do it. Example: My justification for avoiding HY muni fund (AMT exposure).
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Quicken
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

I have my accounts on a simple spreadsheet.

It is mainly to help me see the bigger picture and to also see the stocks/bonds ratio.
Smokey21

Post by Smokey21 »

Pralana gold as a calculator.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Toons wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:00 pm Quicken
+1 I have scads of accounts, but overall a very simple portfolio. Quicken is just fine for me......

They used to have an internal link to Morningstar Portfolio X-Ray. Not sure if they still do. But if you want to see how much overlap you have, or what your overall exposure to Emerging markets is, or whatever, it did a really nice job with all that.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

I-ORP.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
hawkfan55

Post by hawkfan55 »

We keep track of our portfolio using Vanguard’s portfolio calculator. We can also manually add outside investments.

For retirement planning, we use the Optimal Retirement Planner, www.i-orp.com, extended version. It’s very flexible and easy to use.
Forum Library of Investing Advice: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

My own spreadsheets for tracking my investments & calculating withdrawal amounts. As far as getting data, it's pretty easy.
Taxable, Rollover IRA, and HSA all at Fidelity
Treasury Direct for Ibonds
Vanguard for current employer's 401K
All of the above available through the FullView Aggregator at Fidelity.

I-ORP and Retiree Portfolio Model spreadsheet here on BH to kind of get an idea what I might do with Roths post retirement

Simba's spreadsheet, also here on BH, for looking at longer backtested timeframes for rough ideas, and as a source of data for my own independent backtesting spreadsheets.

Personal Finance toolbox spreadsheet, also here on BH - I use this to plan for the current year's taxes

#Cruncher's TIPs spreadsheet, available here on the Forum.

Fidelity's RIP calculator - I won't be using it's withdrawal method, but it's there and I can get a rough idea of things.

Cheers
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Fidelty.com The Analysis tab appears to use either Morningstar Portfolio X-ray or something very similar to it. And the Retirement planning tool is very good as well.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Sahara wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:10 pm There have been a number of recent discussions regarding retirement calculators. Many of these tools require the user to input portfolio information from other resources. I know many people have their own excel spreadsheets, use aggregators such as Personal Capital, or rely upon their brokerage statements to track and manage their portfolio information.

I'm curious whether anyone has a favorite tool for tracking assets and asset allocation? In addition, does/how does that tool interact with the retirement planning tools/calculators?
Sahara:

I have been retired since 1982. All my investments are in two Vanguard Funds (S&P 500 and Total Bond). I use Vanguard's annual statement to track my two investments. It contains more information than I need.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "In the stock market the more elaborate and abstruse the mathematics the more uncertain and speculative are the conclusions we draw therefrom."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Topic Author
Sahara

Post by Sahara »

livesoft wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:07 pm Fidelty.com The Analysis tab appears to use either Morningstar Portfolio X-ray or something very similar to it. And the Retirement planning tool is very good as well.
It seems that the brokerages offer a number of valuable tools. Do you use this for assets held outside of Fidelity as well?
Topic Author
Sahara

Post by Sahara »

dcabler wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:42 pm
Fidelity's RIP calculator - I won't be using it's withdrawal method, but it's there and I can get a rough idea of things.

Cheers
Thank you! I haven't heard of this tool, and I don't have an account with Fidelity. What information and/or function does this calculator provide?
3funder

Post by 3funder »

I use Personal Capital to track my three-fund portfolio (VTSAX, VTIAX, VBTLX).
Global stocks, US bonds, and time.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Sahara wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:26 am
livesoft wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:07 pm Fidelty.com The Analysis tab appears to use either Morningstar Portfolio X-ray or something very similar to it. And the Retirement planning tool is very good as well.
It seems that the brokerages offer a number of valuable tools. Do you use this for assets held outside of Fidelity as well?
Yes. Almost all our assets are held outside Fidelity. The tool allows "Outside" accounts, but I do not link my outside accounts. Instead, I have entered the tickers and number of shares manually since these things do not change very often. The tools do keep the values I have entered. That is, they are persistent and I do not have to re-enter them, though I can easily manually edit them. The prices are updated only when I click on the "Edit" control and not simply by viewing. This is different than some other tools such as the Vanguard Portfolio Watch tool. I don't have very many different investments, so manual entry is trivial.

See also: viewtopic.php?t=150267 where I have discussed most of this before.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
Sahara

Post by Sahara »

livesoft wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:11 am
Sahara wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:26 am
Yes. Almost all our assets are held outside Fidelity. The tool allows "Outside" accounts, but I do not link my outside accounts. Instead, I have entered the tickers and number of shares manually since these things do not change very often. The tools do keep the values I have entered. That is, they are persistent and I do not have to re-enter them, though I can easily manually edit them. The prices are updated only when I click on the "Edit" control and not simply by viewing. This is different than some other tools such as the Vanguard Portfolio Watch tool. I don't have very many different investments, so manual entry is trivial.

See also: viewtopic.php?t=150267 where I have discussed most of this before.
Will do and thank you. I have tried something similar with Google Finance.
Topic Author
Sahara

Post by Sahara »

3funder wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:31 am I use Personal Capital to track my three-fund portfolio (VTSAX, VTIAX, VBTLX).
Thank you. I've heard that a good strategy for avoiding the upsell with Personal Capital is to enter 10% of your asset values.
Ni_VT

Post by Ni_VT »

I use excel and personal capital.

I really like personal capital to track all my assets and their budgeting dashboards are insightful. Tbh, their investment dashboards leave more to be desired (for example, I cant compare two of my funds at the same time), but for my passive investment strategy it works great. One of the biggest advantages is the fact that I can look back at my net-worth and a/c history for past 6+ years and do some comparisons. All in all its a winner tool for me.

PS I have not had personal capital up sell me
NH
elle

Post by elle »

Personal capital. I just ignore their attempts to reach out. Every so often I get an email or pop up in the app. Easy point on time and historical information.

Trying to figure out how to best track investments without having to maintain an XLS. PC is not great at that.

Following on how to track AA better.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

If you want to find out more about the portfolio calculator https://calculator.ficalc.app/ - we have the developer setup for a virtual meeting - all are invited.

Short notice - Wednesday May 5 - 7 pm central. The developer of the product FICALC has graciously agreed to demonstrate the product and participate in a Q & A session on WEDNESDAY May 5 at 7 pm Central time. Great way to get any of your questions answered.

You can try out the product here https://calculator.ficalc.app/

Wednesday May 5 at
5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

The zoom link is in the upcoming events here. in the 5/5 entry - note those times on the calendar are EASTERN - you can add it to your calendar (and it will correct for your time zone by clicking COPY TO MY CALENDAR) There is also a google calendar link that you can add to your calendar so all Boglehead events will appear on your calendar.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL or join your local chapter (local chapter coordinators will be distributing the invitation)

You can find the local chapters here.

You can also find a calendar of upcoming events here.
Last edited by HoosierJim on Mon May 03, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:26 pm
Sahara wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:10 pm There have been a number of recent discussions regarding retirement calculators. Many of these tools require the user to input portfolio information from other resources. I know many people have their own excel spreadsheets, use aggregators such as Personal Capital, or rely upon their brokerage statements to track and manage their portfolio information.

Sahara:

I have been retired since 1982. All my investments are in two Vanguard Funds (S&P 500 and Total Bond). I use Vanguard's annual statement to track my two investments. It contains more information than I need.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "In the stock market the more elaborate and abstruse the mathematics the more uncertain and speculative are the conclusions we draw therefrom."
Hi Taylor -

I could not say it any better. Since we simplified, we no longer use (or care) about calculators or projections. Vanguard’s website and statements have more information than we need.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

abuss368 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:47 pm

Sahara:

Best wishes.
Taylor
Hi Taylor -

I could not say it any better. Since we simplified, we no longer use (or care) about calculators or projections. Vanguard’s website and statements have more information than we need.

Tony
Tony it was my understanding that you have a large team of accountants to count all those greenbacks you possess. Why would you need a calculator? :sharebeer

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilford Bion
Stubbie

Post by Stubbie »

+1
Have 20 years of data in Quicken. Too old to switch now.
corp_sharecropper

Post by corp_sharecropper »

Personal Cap, Google Sheets, and home brew programming

ETA: and some portfolioviz sometimes
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

hawkfan55 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:41 pm We keep track of our portfolio using Vanguard’s portfolio calculator. We can also manually add outside investments.
+1

I do this, and occasionally run Vanguard's 'Portfolio Watch'.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
chassis

Post by chassis »

Portfoliovisializer and finviz have good tools to analyze your holdings. Fidelity doesn’t provide tools with the same depth, they tell you what have and how much it’s worth. To do deeper analysis it needs to be done on an individual holding level. Portfoliovisualizer and finviz are more like true portfolio or fund management tools.
Topic Author
Sahara

Post by Sahara »

I have not seen finviz.

It sounds like the utility of these tools has a lot to do with what you want to look at. I had the opportunity to view Fi360's analysis of a 401k target retirement fund. Although the target retirement fund had a very good rating, the international fund within had a very poor rating. That would be quite useful to someone offering retirement plans.
Northster

Post by Northster »

I have 9 funds spread over 7 accounts. Google sheets, with the function to look up prices, works just fine to keep track of allocations and point to re-balancing when necessary. Also helps me plan appropriate withdrawals. Share totals can drift a bit, but I find quarterly checks of Vanguard values keep me on track.
bluegill

Post by bluegill »

EXCEL
3funder

Post by 3funder »

Sahara wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:38 am
3funder wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:31 am I use Personal Capital to track my three-fund portfolio (VTSAX, VTIAX, VBTLX).
Thank you. I've heard that a good strategy for avoiding the upsell with Personal Capital is to enter 10% of your asset values.
They tried to upsell me once and haven't called again; enter it all.
Global stocks, US bonds, and time.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Stubbie wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:15 pm
+1
Have 20 years of data in Quicken. Too old to switch now.
Understand completely
1993 here.
Interwoven into my life... :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Mando19

Post by Mando19 »

I use Google sheets since there is an easy to use & free stock/mutual fund price lookup function.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Dave55 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:50 pm
abuss368 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:47 pm

Sahara:

Best wishes.
Taylor
Hi Taylor -

Tony
Tony it was my understanding that you have a large team of accountants to count all those greenbacks you possess. Why would you need a calculator? :sharebeer

Dave
Your good Dave!

Love it.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
Sahara

Post by Sahara »

Sahara:

Best wishes.
Taylor
Taylor, thank you and so true.