Ark Funds

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
ElJefeDelQueso

Re: Ark Funds

Post by ElJefeDelQueso »

jpmorganfunds wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:47 pm
jpmorganfunds wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:28 pm Arvid Ali has some thoughts on Ark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2kgPBol_Rw
John Rubino has some thoughts on Ark too.

The everything bubble’s supernova is the ARK Innovation ETF, run by hitherto obscure (and now household name) Cathie Wood. Her “innovation”? She loaded up on Tesla stock right before it embarked on an epic (and inexplicable) 1000% run that made it more valuable than the ten biggest carmakers on the planet combined.

https://www.dollarcollapse.com/biggest- ... -hell-yes/
TSLA is 9.1% of ARKK and not held by ARKG and ARKF. Wood's ETFs do hold risky and volatile growth stocks but the TSLA explanation is simplistic.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

ElJefeDelQueso wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:48 pm
jpmorganfunds wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:47 pm
jpmorganfunds wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:28 pm Arvid Ali has some thoughts on Ark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2kgPBol_Rw
John Rubino has some thoughts on Ark too.

The everything bubble’s supernova is the ARK Innovation ETF, run by hitherto obscure (and now household name) Cathie Wood. Her “innovation”? She loaded up on Tesla stock right before it embarked on an epic (and inexplicable) 1000% run that made it more valuable than the ten biggest carmakers on the planet combined.

https://www.dollarcollapse.com/biggest- ... -hell-yes/
TSLA is 9.1% of ARKK and not held by ARKG and ARKF. Wood's ETFs do hold risky and volatile growth stocks but the TSLA explanation is simplistic.
Yup, ARKG is driven by (partially) the inexplicable 1000% run of PACB :twisted:

I think Cathie Wood took some risk with her picks and in this risk-on investment world she got rewarded handsomely.
adave

Post by adave »

Tesla- 800%

Teladoc- 980%

Square- 1300%

Roku- 1300%

Crispr- 500%

A few of her good calls. Who knows if she can keep it going with significant asset bloat. It’s worth a small position IMO just for kicks....
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

CNBC's Scott Wapner ad Bob Pisani interviews Catherine Woods on Tesla, Crypto currency, Health and other tech discussions within Ark funds 11:40 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8PkE6Yi2x0
MinnGuyInvesting

Post by MinnGuyInvesting »

retire2022 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:22 pm CNBC's Scott Wapner ad Bob Pisani interviews Catherine Woods on Tesla, Crypto currency, Health and other tech discussions within Ark funds 11:40 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8PkE6Yi2x0
:thumbsup
Index ETF's 42% |ARK Funds 33% | AAPL 4.7% | TSLA 2.4% | GOOGL 1.7% | AMZN 1.2% |Other stocks 5% | BTC/ETH 8% | | | Tracking my porfolio: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5745280#p5745280
JHU ALmuni

Post by JHU ALmuni »

MinnGuyInvesting wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:27 pm ARK has rebounded some after being down a few days in December.

YTD returns (9 days in)

ARK-K - 14.45%
ARK-G - 13.51%
ARK-Q - 12.48%
ARK-W - 8.90%
ARK-F - 4.53%

Other notables:
TSLA - 24.71%
QQQ - 1.69%
Bitcoin - 40.88%

Seems like ARK been performing well lately, tempted to move more of my fund there if this performance sustainable. Any thoughts?
MinnGuyInvesting

JHU ALmuni wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:59 pm
MinnGuyInvesting wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:27 pm ARK has rebounded some after being down a few days in December.

YTD returns (9 days in)

ARK-K - 14.45%
ARK-G - 13.51%
ARK-Q - 12.48%
ARK-W - 8.90%
ARK-F - 4.53%

Other notables:
TSLA - 24.71%
QQQ - 1.69%
Bitcoin - 40.88%

Seems like ARK been performing well lately, tempted to move more of my fund there if this performance sustainable. Any thoughts?
ARK was killing me today!!
I was down a lot earlier, but it looked like some came back.
One of a few days where ARK's drops were more significant than SPY or QQQ.

BUY THE DIP!!!!!
Index ETF's 42% |ARK Funds 33% | AAPL 4.7% | TSLA 2.4% | GOOGL 1.7% | AMZN 1.2% |Other stocks 5% | BTC/ETH 8% | | | Tracking my porfolio: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5745280#p5745280
xraygoggles

Post by xraygoggles »

Just curious if anyone in here that was thinking of buying it feels the same way now? It's discounted 30%! :twisted:
MinnGuyInvesting

xraygoggles wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:38 pm Just curious if anyone in here that was thinking of buying it feels the same way now? It's discounted 30%! :twisted:
Yes. ARK has been taking big hits several times over these last few weeks.
I'm being patient and will keep holding and will re-evaluate after a year.
Topic Author
Stanczyk

Is it time to jump the ARK?

Post by Stanczyk »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I think the title is self-explanatory here. But, here are some of my additional thoughts:

Why jump the ARK:
- Virtually all ARK funds had an awesome 2020. As such, it is reasonable to wonder about regression to the mean.
- Inflation may rear its ugly head and high-flying tech stocks will get clobbered. (TSM or Industrials may be a better place to be)
- If you caught the ride on the ark in 2020, why not take profit.

Why stay on the ARK:
- The more we trade, the more likely it is that we can make mistakes
- Perhaps C. Wood is the star that will continue shining
watchnerd

Re: Is it time to jump the ARK?

Post by watchnerd »

I don't hold ARKK.

But if I did, I'd think of it two ways:

1. Get out now

OR

2. Hold for 10 years

I don't see a lot of middle ground, as a lot of the trend-betting she's doing will take quite some time to fully pan out.
60% Global Market Stocks (VT,FM) | 38% Global Market Bonds | 2% Alts || LMP TIPS/STRIPS || RSU + ESPP
Astones

Post by Astones »

A good exercise could be the following.

Try to answer this question: "Could you be able to provide good reasons to buy ARK now, without ever mentioning its past performance ?" .

If the answer is "No", then sell.
If the answer is "Yes", then hold, or even buy more.

Too often, by digging a little, it comes out that the mein reason for people to hold/buy securities is that their price has gone up. When this is the case, that security should be avoided.
Williams57

Post by Williams57 »

ARK* funds are my funny money. I'm holding, with the realization that I may lose it all. The downside is it's in my Roth, so I won't be able to tax loss harvest.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Astones wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:15 pm A good exercise could be the following.

Try to answer this question: "Could you be able to provide good reasons to buy ARK now, without ever mentioning its past performance ?" .

If the answer is "No", then sell.
If the answer is "Yes", then hold, or even buy more.

Too often, by digging a little, it comes out that the mein reason for people to hold/buy securities is that their price has gone up. When this is the case, that security should be avoided.
But tech is going to keep growing! It is the future!!!

/s

Ya, that is why it is priced at 100x sales.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Stanczyk's question into the original (similar) discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
drk

Post by drk »

watchnerd wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:12 pm I don't see a lot of middle ground, as a lot of the trend-betting she's doing will take quite some time to fully pan out.
Trend-betting and trend-hopping, e.g., buying a bunch of TWTR today because it dropped. It's an OK product, but I have a hard time squaring it as a disruptive technology. Decisions like that are why I wouldn't trust the fund long-term.
Forester

Post by Forester »

All the "day trading" within these funds; how can this inspire confidence? It's erratic and ad hoc. I'm keeping an eye on ARKK fund flows which have flattened and rolled over, positive $3.5bn last 3months, positive $572m last month but now negative $387m for the last week. ARKK is on course to lose approx $2bn funds over the next month, around 10% of AUM, now we've had a period of growth stocks rebounding, if the situation reverts back to the reflation trade then ARKK's portfolio might come under pressure.
txhill

Post by txhill »

Forester wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:46 am All the "day trading" within these funds; how can this inspire confidence? It's erratic and ad hoc. I'm keeping an eye on ARKK fund flows which have flattened and rolled over, positive $3.5bn last 3months, positive $572m last month but now negative $387m for the last week. ARKK is on course to lose approx $2bn funds over the next month, around 10% of AUM, now we've had a period of growth stocks rebounding, if the situation reverts back to the reflation trade then ARKK's portfolio might come under pressure.
It seems to me this is symptomatic of being an ETF instead of an investment entity that can just buy and hold and sit tight. I think they just have to rebalance constantly even if they aren't changing their investment outlook on a daily basis. Seems like they'd be more attractive if they were set up in a different way, but what do i know.
Forester

Post by Forester »

At the current pace of fund outflows ARKK will cease to exist in 31 weeks time.
thenextguy

Post by thenextguy »

Forester wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:46 am All the "day trading" within these funds; how can this inspire confidence? It's erratic and ad hoc. I'm keeping an eye on ARKK fund flows which have flattened and rolled over, positive $3.5bn last 3months, positive $572m last month but now negative $387m for the last week. ARKK is on course to lose approx $2bn funds over the next month, around 10% of AUM, now we've had a period of growth stocks rebounding, if the situation reverts back to the reflation trade then ARKK's portfolio might come under pressure.
I don’t think this trading is unusual for a fund. We’re just seeing it because ARK runs active ETFs and they’re required to release their positions daily. Mutual funds don’t have to do that.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I took a look at Ark funds and was briefly in one but came to the conclusion I was too late to this fad and it doesn't fit in with most of my other investments. Besides Ark funds there are similar ETFs like WCLD (down 25% from its high).

Right now watching the investment world is like watching some crazy comedy show. Some "new" investment comes along, it gets mentioned on social media, everyone flocks to it and it goes vertical. There is no real reason for many of these "investments" to do that well.

Off the top of my head we have:
1. Cryptocurrencies (hot ones seem to change quickly)
2. Cloud techie stocks
3. Sports cards (the rating service for baseball cards had a 1 year backlog)
4. NFTs
5. Tesla
6. ? (I'm having a sluggish morning but the last list I saw had a bunch more)

I'm usually too slow to catch onto these "investments" since they usually don't make sense to me. I prefer to invest in things that actually make money and have positive cash flow. By the time I think "maybe I should try it", it is too late and the party is over.

At this point you can either decide "this is a correction and a great buying opportunity" or "a bunch of over valued stocks are finally coming to their day of reckoning". I usually go with the latter because I watched this in the late 90s and that has left a lingering impression on me.
Forester

Post by Forester »

Now that ARKK is below the key technical level of 110 next stop is 90, fairly quickly.
Astones

Post by Astones »

Forester wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:28 am Now that ARKK is below the key technical level of 110 next stop is 90, fairly quickly.
For a moment I thought about buying put options expiring next year, then I told myself nah.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Forester wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:28 am Now that ARKK is below the key technical level of 110 next stop is 90, fairly quickly.
So, one could say: The Ark is sinking?
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

surfstar wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:46 am
So, one could say: The Ark is sinking?
Priceless!

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Portfolio7

Post by Portfolio7 »

drk wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:56 pm
watchnerd wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:12 pm I don't see a lot of middle ground, as a lot of the trend-betting she's doing will take quite some time to fully pan out.
Trend-betting and trend-hopping, e.g., buying a bunch of TWTR today because it dropped. It's an OK product, but I have a hard time squaring it as a disruptive technology. Decisions like that are why I wouldn't trust the fund long-term.
I am curious what Twitter they will do with Scroll. I think that could very well be a disruptive technology in media delivery, though of course they need to handle it right.

Anyways, more generally, I'm not selling ARK (I own tiny slices of ARKK & ARKG). Something like this you have to be ready to lose every penny you spend on it, or you shouldn't be in it.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest" - Benjamin Franklin
Williams57

Post by Williams57 »

Portfolio7 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:44 pm
drk wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:56 pm
I am curious what Twitter they will do with Scroll. I think that could very well be a disruptive technology in media delivery, though of course they need to handle it right.

Anyways, more generally, I'm not selling ARK (I own tiny slices of ARKK & ARKG). Something like this you have to be ready to lose every penny you spend on it, or you shouldn't be in it.
Agree. 1.6% of my NW is in ARK funds, and I got in recently. I accept that it can all go to zero, just like my small crypto balance. But hopefully it won't. Curious how low ARK's will go though. Hopefully not lower than another 20%.

I don't believe I would have gotten in were it not for the pandemic. Life's too boring and I need some roller coaster excitement (thank god, I know it's a privilege). Figured ARKs are better than GME.
drk

Post by drk »

Portfolio7 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:44 pm I am curious what Twitter they will do with Scroll. I think that could very well be a disruptive technology in media delivery, though of course they need to handle it right.
I believe the Scroll acquisition was announced on Tuesday, after ARKK doubled down. Unless the team had access to inside information, I don't think that factored into the model. That said, maybe it works out, or maybe it's another Vine or Periscope.