Backup (redundant) home internet service

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
finite_difference

Re: Backup (redundant) home internet service

Post by finite_difference »

boomer_techie wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:43 am
KlangFool wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:54 am If you want better help, you should let us know where you are? We do not need your specific address but the town/city/state would be useful.
California, outside of Silicon Valley.

Cable TV is in the area. Most people in my neighborhood use it for their internet. The last time I checked (admittedly a long time ago) their pricing for data only versus data+TV is atrocious - sorry, I can't support a company like that. I've spent a good bit of time with some friends who have the "whole enchilada" cable package - the long term reliability of that system is worse than what I've experienced with the DSL.

The DSL is 1.5M/384K. I am content with those speeds. The cost of the DSL is ~$35 month plus of course the cost of also maintaining a land line.
You’re paying $23 per Mb.

I pay $0.1 per Mb on cable.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

dukeblue219 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:56 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:52 am Are Fios or cable available in your life area? They often have internet only plans.
If the phone company still provides DSL to this address in 2021 there is almost certainly not FIOS available, and OP stated no cable.
That is not necessarily correct. They may offer fiber optic service to new customers, but are not yet forcing existing DSL customers to upgrade.
My postings are my opinion, and never should be construed as a recommendation to buy, sell, or hold any particular investment.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Northern Flicker wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:51 am
dukeblue219 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:56 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:52 am Are Fios or cable available in your life area? They often have internet only plans.
If the phone company still provides DSL to this address in 2021 there is almost certainly not FIOS available, and OP stated no cable.
That is not necessarily correct. They may offer fiber optic service to new customers, but are not yet forcing existing DSL customers to upgrade.
True, FIOS is available where I live, but I choose to use DSL because for the service level I need the cost is half the cost of the base fiber service.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

boomer_techie wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:46 am
Jags4186 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:53 pm These statements are incompatible. If you used 100% of your bandwidth 24hrs a day you’d use 16gb. So you’re probably using a lot less than that. Verizon and ATT give 30gb of hotspot data a month on their highest tier unlimited plan.
Cable is Comcast. Slowest (cheapest) is $20 month promo price, um, $50 month normal price, scratch that, $60 month because there's no way I'm doing AutoPay. That sort of pricing shenanigan is yet another thing that turns me off to cable.

I was hoping there would be folks here who spend lots of time in a RV and have arranged Internet on the go in boglehead cheapskate fashion.
We have given you most of the options. I added #4 BELOW.

1. Satellite - More expensive than any alternative
2. Hotspots - Data Limits
3. Cable - $50 a month is a great deal for cable internet. $20 a month for a certain amount of time is a no brainer. Cancel if you don't like it. Cheapest for me now is 69.99. I know it's outrageous but it is what it is in the US. Move to South Korea and you can pay less than $20 a month.

Why are you so adverse to autopay? Put it on a credit card as you don't have to use your bank account.

4. t-mobile has home internet but it's $65 a month and not available everywhere.

5. Library - Free or nominal fee
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

Fat Tails wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:55 am You may see what it costs to get unlimited data on your cell phone plan. These days it shouldn't be too much and using your phone as a wifi hotspot should suffice for an emergency backup,

Cheers
Unlimited data at most providers cap at 100GB before severe throttling occurs.