What is your high school graduate going to be doing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sport

Re: What is your high school graduate going to be doing?

Post by sport »

finite_difference wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:13 am
sport wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:05 am
finite_difference wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:28 am I don’t think physics or math majors have issues finding jobs. Although you may need to complete graduate school.
Well, that may be true for some people. However, I can assure you it is not generally true. I have both a bachelors and masters degrees in Physics. When I needed to change jobs, it was not easy to find one. I even had two periods of extended unemployment. So, you can think what you want, but that does not make it so. Up thread, I mentioned my friend with a PhD in Physics who worked as a fund raiser for non-profits.
In my opinion as a physics major you need to be able to work with either hardware (optical/mechanical/electrical/quantum engineering) or software (programming) to solve problems. If you have either skillset then you should be pretty bullet proof assuming you’re flexible about location and field (industry/academia/government).

As a math major you also need to be able to work with software.

Yes it’s possible to be a pure physics/math theoretician but that’s a small sliver of the job market and requires being extraordinarily gifted.
Well, your opinion does not match my experience.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Junior this year. Already selected college.

Where does the time go?

Funding the College 529 plans with Vanguard. I use a simple all in one target fund.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

finite_difference wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:13 am
finite_difference wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:28 am I don’t think physics or math majors have issues finding jobs. Although you may need to complete graduate school.
Well, that may be true for some people. However, I can assure you it is not generally true. I have both a bachelors and masters degrees in Physics. When I needed to change jobs, it was not easy to find one. I even had two periods of extended unemployment. So, you can think what you want, but that does not make it so. Up thread, I mentioned my friend with a PhD in Physics who worked as a fund raiser for non-profits.
In my opinion as a physics major you need to be able to work with either hardware (optical/mechanical/electrical/quantum engineering) or software (programming) to solve problems. If you have either skillset then you should be pretty bullet proof assuming you’re flexible about location and field (industry/academia/government).

As a math major you also need to be able to work with software.

Yes it’s possible to be a pure physics/math theoretician but that’s a small sliver of the job market and requires being extraordinarily gifted.
finite_difference,

As a hiring manager, why would I choose to hire a math/physics major over a CS/Engineering major to solve the software/hardware problem? I won't.

KlangFool
40% VWENX | 12.5% VFWAX/VTIAX | 11.5% VTSAX | 16% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 40% Wellington 40% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Yeah I think there’s a running joke where your NYC cab driver probably has a PhD in physics.

If you want to get into academia in a specific area where everyone wants to live (like NYC), then I wish you good luck for example. I would write academia off (apply all over the country but don’t expect to find a tenure track position in academia.)
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

srt7 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:13 pm
LilyFleur wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:55 pm
This is why I helped both of my children on their costs for study abroad. I'm divorced and not wealthy, and I live a modest lifestyle. I had never been to Europe until I was 57 years old.

I have talked to my children about each generation standing on the shoulders of the previous generation. I sacrificed to help both of them, and my son once told me that he would start paying me back after he graduated from college. I said that wouldn't be necessary, and that the way I wanted him to pay me back was by paying it forward by helping his own children someday, or if he did not have his own children, to find nieces or nephews or someone else's children to help.

I also have a spare bedroom if they need to come back home.

I can't think of a better place to invest than in my own children.
HUGE props to you!! That last line in your post summarizes everything for me.
Thank you!
Nebraska_Drought

Post by Nebraska_Drought »

Strange year indeed. I sent my son off to college last fall and I will have been in his on-campus suite 2 times, when we moved him in in August and when I move him out Saturday. He is at a public university (in state) earning an engineering degree. Between dual credit and AP classes, he will end his 1st year of college with 56 hours completed and a GPA of 3.90. Out of pocket expenses for us this year.....they were zero is he is on a full-ride academic scholarship that his school hands out 20-30 of each year for kids in STEM fields. He has an internship lined up for this summer (in our home town) as with COVID, not only were opportunities limited for freshman interns this year, but he did not want to go some place out of state and be stuck just working and not enjoying where he was at. With that, he turned down offers to be in Dallas, Denver, and the Bay area for this summer but is probably going to choose one of those next summer as all 3 places wanted him. His 529 balance actually increased while he was in school, which is a nice feeling to have.

My daughter has just started the college decision making process. She is a D-1 volleyball recruit, so we are going to be wading through what offers she has and what she wants to do in school this summer. Her process will be very different from my son's as he was not offered any D-1 athletic scholarships and turned down several D-2 and lower because he had his academic "ride" in his field. She will also need to lasso in her interests as she is not as sure about what she wants to go into. My wife and I are "nudging" her in directions that make sense and will not lead to a career of regrets.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

finite_difference wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:28 am
KlangFool wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:00 am
kleiner wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:52 am
My daughter is off to Georgia tech this fall and will be majoring in math or physics.
kleiner,

I told my son that I am not paying for a degree in physics. He had no idea what he was going with that degree. He double majored in Mechanical Engineering plus Physics. He dropped his Physic major a year after that. He graduated and found a job two years ago.

My daughter majored in Arts. I supported her decision. She know what to do with her degree. She interned while she was in high school. She found her job before she graduated last year.

KlangFool
I don’t think physics or math majors have issues finding jobs. Although you may need to complete graduate school.
I respectfully disagree.

Much depends on the employment environment at time of graduation, and you are 4 years out from that point when you start a degree.

I was a National Merit Finalist, and obtained the top scholarship at the public engineering university in my state.
4 years later, I was told by recruiters that I needed a graduate degree. My only option was a job in oil exploration that
was long hours and closer to construction work than physics.

I went to grad school for math and got my PhD. I graduated into a glut of math PhDs, unemployment was over 15% among new PhDs, and
this was actually low due to Universities holding on to new PhDs at a rate of pay the same as grad students though with more hours.

I did get a job, but it was not easy.

I ended up as a tech consultant, rarely using my training in physics and math, while losing lots of earning years.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

MathWizard wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:48 pm
finite_difference wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:28 am
KlangFool wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:00 am
kleiner wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:52 am
My daughter is off to Georgia tech this fall and will be majoring in math or physics.
kleiner,

I told my son that I am not paying for a degree in physics. He had no idea what he was going with that degree. He double majored in Mechanical Engineering plus Physics. He dropped his Physic major a year after that. He graduated and found a job two years ago.

My daughter majored in Arts. I supported her decision. She know what to do with her degree. She interned while she was in high school. She found her job before she graduated last year.

KlangFool
I don’t think physics or math majors have issues finding jobs. Although you may need to complete graduate school.
I respectfully disagree.

Much depends on the employment environment at time of graduation, and you are 4 years out from that point when you start a degree.

I was a National Merit Finalist, and obtained the top scholarship at the public engineering university in my state.
4 years later, I was told by recruiters that I needed a graduate degree. My only option was a job in oil exploration that
was long hours and closer to construction work than physics.

I went to grad school for math and got my PhD. I graduated into a glut of math PhDs, unemployment was over 15% among new PhDs, and
this was actually low due to Universities holding on to new PhDs at a rate of pay the same as grad students though with more hours.

I did get a job, but it was not easy.

I ended up as a tech consultant, rarely using my training in physics and math, while losing lots of earning years.
"Much depends on the employment environment at time of graduation, and you are 4 years out from that point when you start a degree."
Absolutely true of any degree.
30west

Post by 30west »

MikeMak27 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:42 am If your children are attending an out of state school, they should immediately begin working on establishing residence in the schools state. Get a drivers license, sign a lease if necessary under their name (you can be guaranty if need be), and get some sort of w-2 gainful employment. This will allow them to qualify for in state tuition the following year.
If my kid is still covered by my health insurance, can we still do this too? I thought that they needed yo be a dependent to be covered, or am i missing somethonh.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

30west wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:51 pm
MikeMak27 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:42 am If your children are attending an out of state school, they should immediately begin working on establishing residence in the schools state. Get a drivers license, sign a lease if necessary under their name (you can be guaranty if need be), and get some sort of w-2 gainful employment. This will allow them to qualify for in state tuition the following year.
If my kid is still covered by my health insurance, can we still do this too? I thought that they needed yo be a dependent to be covered, or am i missing somethonh.
That’s another roadblock the school would put in your way. My understanding is that the easy route to paying in-state tuition is a Great Urban Myth. The schools were not born yesterday.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:51 am
That’s another roadblock the school would put in your way. My understanding is that the easy route to paying in-state tuition is a Great Urban Myth. The schools were not born yesterday.
I was able to do it twice (two different schools, two different states), but this was 10-15yrs ago.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

stoptothink wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:04 am
I was able to do it twice, but this was 10-15yrs ago.
55 years ago I applied to college in person, aged 15 and without a HS diploma, and was accepted. Things change :beer
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:06 am
55 years ago I applied to college in person, without a HS diploma, and was accepted. Things change :beer
Quit a bit of difference in our timeframes. From what I gather from the countless individuals I know who are in school now, it is still possible in some states/institutions.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

stoptothink wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:09 am
55 years ago I applied to college in person, without a HS diploma, and was accepted. Things change :beer
Quit a bit of difference in our timeframes. From what I gather from the countless individuals I know who are in school now, it is still possible in some states/institutions.
I think, though I haven’t had a reason to delve deeply into this, that in the cases where the in-state is accepted, it’s a form of sub rasa merit award. Schools want to get their money, but they also want to juice their “in state” numbers and juice their other matriculation stats. So, if an otherwise out-of-state candidate rings the other bells, they’ll play along. I think many states require a certain percentage of matriculants to be “in state.”

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled programming.
setancre

Post by setancre »

This is a nice website for in-state tuition requirements by state:

https://www.instateangels.com/state-tui ... es-search/
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Youngest daughter decided to pursue BS in Nursing at our alma mater, The College of New Jersey and will enroll this fall. She was accepted at Rutgers as well but decided on the a smaller school environment. She's been working summers at the hospital where my wife works and has been doing some weekends this year. Older daughter graduated last year with BSN from Rutgers and is working at a hospital in NYC. She's looking to use her employer's tuition reimbursement program for next steps, either MSN or Nurse Practitioner, at NYU or Hunter College.

Congrats to all the seniors!
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

LilyFleur wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:31 pm
MarkRoulo wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:56 pm
kahangi wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:46 am My child just committed to Stanford yesterday. It was a tough choice over Harvard but we thought for computer science, it was the right choice.

Stanford is on the other side of the country for us and it’s hard to see your child go so far away.
Congrats! Sincere!

But I found this bit hilarious and think we need a phrase to come after "1st world problems" :-)
My child just committed to Stanford yesterday. It was a tough choice over Harvard but we thought for computer science, it was the right choice.
The agony of trying to choose between Harvard and Stanford :-)
It's a moment to savor.
This is on a lower tier, but my son got accepted to UC Berkeley and UCLA. It was quite gratifying to visit UCLA and hear the chancellor talk about why UCLA was a better choice than Berkeley. It's a once-in-a-lifetime experience for both the student and the parent.
That is not a lower tier. In some fields they are higher tiers.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

setancre wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:38 am This is a nice website for in-state tuition requirements by state:

https://www.instateangels.com/state-tui ... es-search/
Matches my 10-15yr old personal experience in Utah and Texas (certainly it is more difficult today). My sister also did it (California to Utah in-state) circa 2017. Seems to be like most things: it depends.
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

stoptothink wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:09 am
Here is required at the school I attended:

"A person who moves to the state for the primary purpose of attending college will not be considered eligible for classification as a resident student.

Non-resident students who carry an academic load considered normal (10 or more hours per term for Undergraduates, and 7 hours or more for Graduate students per term) will be presumed to be in the State primarily for the purpose of gaining an education and, thus, have not demonstrated the intent to establish a true domicile in state.

In order to reclassify a student to “resident” status, the student must show a 12-month history in the State as a full-time employee, must not attend school on a full-time basis during that 12 months (10 hours or more is considered full-time for residency purposes). The student must document his or her residency status in accordance with category A of the Petition for Classification.

...policy in accordance with state law requires persons to show fulltime employment in the State. The University considers 35 hours per week as full-time employment.
So must work at least 35 hours per week for a full year and not take more than 9 hours of courses per semester.

Possible to do, but much more difficult than it used to be. Especially in regards to the poster that said get some sort of W-2 income and sign a lease in your name, voting registration, etc. Not that simple anymore.
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

congrats ! (mine are not 2021 hs graduates)

we have one at FSU for Chem Eng. / Bio Med Eng. her grades are straight 4.0 so far. (her academic performance did NOT come from my genes)

and another in nursing school also. she is very excited about her upcoming nursing career. the state nursing programs are crazy competitive these days.

-----------------------------------------------------------------