Advice for parking $200k for a year or two

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
warpork

Advice for parking $200k for a year or two

Post by warpork »

Looking for some advice on where to park ~ $200k for up to a 2 year time frame. Plans for the $$$ are to purchase a Sprinter Van for sports travel and camping once (if) they ever come back down to sane prices, as well as for a basement remodel, again once lumber and construction costs return to normal (figuring this may take a little while hence the possible 2 year time frame).

Thanks all.
Warpork
thenextguy

Re: Advice for parking $200k for a year or two

Post by thenextguy »

Can you handle some risk? I like VTINX for something like this.

You also might want to get some I Bonds, although you're limited in how much you can purchase.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

There are few safe places that have low risk and some modest yields for short term cash. Consider putting the funds in one of the online banks like Ally, AMEX, Marcus, etc. Right now Ally has 11mo no withdrawal penalty (NWP) CDs at 0.50% which is FDIC insured up to $250K. The other consideration are iBonds available from Treasury Direct which will keep up with inflation but you won't be able to withdraw your money for a year.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
chazas

Post by chazas »

T-Mobile Money. 1% checking at Customers Bank, FDIC insured.
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

warpork wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:08 am Looking for some advice on where to park ~ $200k for up to a 2 year time frame. Plans for the $$$ are to purchase a Sprinter Van for sports travel and camping once (if) they ever come back down to sane prices, as well as for a basement remodel, again once lumber and construction costs return to normal (figuring this may take a little while hence the possible 2 year time frame).

Thanks all.
Warpork

Can you simply get a new one at MSRP? I am not sure about Sprinter Van but most collector cars I am looking at in 200 to 500k range (That are discontinued already) have shoot up in value. I am in the same boat if I should pull the trigger now or just wait a year or two. I pulled trigger on one that was a little over 200k but I just couldn't pull the trigger on another one in 500k zone.

Post by 123 »

Since you are "parking" you don't want any damage (loss), accordingly CDs or HYSAs are likely your best choice.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
aj76er

Post by aj76er »

You could try HM Bradley online bank (FDIC insured). Currently 3%, but not sure how long that will last.

Also search threads for Toyota drivers notes which earn 1.5%.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle