What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sureshoe

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by sureshoe »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:34 pm Love your review and totally agree with sadness at that monsterverse ending (for now). Loved the storylines just thought the writing and character development for some of the Japanese (????) actors were meh! Would love to see more thought put into the Japanese characters as it’s such a crucial piece of the lore!

I enjoyed all of them! Sorry, Im a sucker for Godzilla and King Kong movies! shrug. Want to see more of them taking themselves even more seriously to tell the story. But then I guess it wouldn’t be a family show but an R rated Thriller or some Dark suspense! But I would loooooove that
Agree 1000%. Honestly, I was a bit surprised how reasonably consistent the logic and lore of the universe was. I mean, they're movies about giants monsters coming from a Hollow Earth... but they vaguely maintained some sense of internal logic.
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

bengal22 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:40 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:28 pm
bengal22 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:01 pm
New Providence wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:37 am
heartwood wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:34 am Tenet, last night on HBO. Not recommended. It was difficult to follow and uninteresting to me.
I'm very much looking forward to watching TENET tonight.
Not as good ad Inception but a very good and ambitious movie. I had to immediately watch it twice to try to decipher it. There are some you. Tube bits that explain the myriad of timelines.
Watched Tenet Sunday night. Enjoyed it, maybe because expectations were low & I focused hard since I heard of the confusing nature of the movie.

Wasn’t better than inception but probably due to execution. As Inception’s premise was a more simple and easier to follow idea than ‘inverted time’.

Overall, I like the ambition of the story but it was not executed well enough to be blockbuster material. And the writing left the actors with not a lot to work with. Major props for the attempt though. Enhancing on the sci-fi / time travel / James Bond genre is a hard nut to crack! I’m here for all serious attempts, though!
https://youtu.be/x6Kbphnil7s

one explanation of the time lines.
:shock: :? :annoyed I wasn’t ready! :shock:
ScoobyDoo!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Dawson City: Frozen Time (2016)

This is a documentary about the discovery of hundreds of “lost” films from the silent era buried in the permafrost (actually frozen in a landfill) in Dawson City, Yukon Territory, Canada, from just after the gold rush.

It’s worth watching. There’s also a good bit of the history of Dawson City and the gold rush. We streamed it on The Criterion Channel.
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue May 04, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

joe8d wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:38 pm "News of the World". Tom Hanks latest. I thought it was a very good movie. It was a unique story, kept you very involved, and was well casted. Definitely recommended.
Due to some idiot completely severing our cable line doing yard work (that idiot being me) we were without internet - and desperate for entertainment, ran to RedBox and picked this movie up. Really enjoyed it - very engrossing, good performances.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Green Zone” on Netflix. Really enjoyed it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Zone_(film)

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Sad Cypress, on YouTube.

Elinor Carlisle seems to be the obvious murderer of her ailing aunt and the beautiful romantic rival who broke up her engagement, but Poirot (David Suchet uncovers darker motives. Recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Inheritance— on Hulu/Cinemax (and I think Netflix via DVD}. We had no idea what the movie was about when we played it, and it kept or attention all the way to the surprise ending. Don’t research the movie or see the trailer, just watch it and let it unfold.
Mishigami

Post by Mishigami »

Nicolas wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:40 pm Dawson City: Frozen Time (2016)

This is a documentary about the discovery of hundreds of “lost” films from the silent era buried in the permafrost (actually frozen in a landfill) in Dawson City, Yukon Territory, Canada, from just after the gold rush.

It’s worth watching. There’s also a good bit of the history of Dawson City and the gold rush. We streamed it on The Criterion Channel.
Fascinating film. Some of the imagery is quite stunning, and the background history was fascinating. Nicolas, you may be interested in the following short film which is part of the TCM Film Festival (same director--3:15 am EDT on Saturday, though):

let me come in
2021 11m

World broadcast premiere presentation of Bill Morrison’s experimental short featuring decayed film reels from the lost, German silent film Pawns of Passion (1928). Co-presented by The Los Angeles Opera with composer David Lang and soprano Angel Blue.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

The Truffle Hunters

Excellent documentary about truffle hunters, traders, and the truffle market.
Sharing equal billing with the individualistic and unique truffle hunters are
their dogs, who help them in this elusive search and are more like friends and
companions than pets.
Beautiful, rustic woodlands and archaic houses add to the charm of this documentary.
Viewed at a theatre.
Recommended
atwood

Post by atwood »

KSOC wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:04 am
patgrennan wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:12 pm unhinged;
Russell Crowe; road rage theory...
Russell has gotten quite large in this show; watching it gave great anxiety.....husband gave up left the room.
Very intense. Crowe was awesomely terrifying!
All the acting was good, but since you knew how it was going to end from basically the beginning, it just became a matter of how many people Crowe was going to kill/mess up before he got his.

And yes, he has gotten as big a house. The next Marlon Brando?
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Mishigami wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:33 am
Nicolas wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:40 pm Dawson City: Frozen Time (2016)

Fascinating film. Some of the imagery is quite stunning, and the background history was fascinating. Nicolas, you may be interested in the following short film which is part of the TCM Film Festival (same director--3:15 am EDT on Saturday, though):

let me come in
2021 11m

World broadcast premiere presentation of Bill Morrison’s experimental short featuring decayed film reels from the lost, German silent film Pawns of Passion (1928). Co-presented by The Los Angeles Opera with composer David Lang and soprano Angel Blue.
Thanks for the tip but I don’t subscribe to cable TV so I can’t watch the TCM Film Festival, but I would like to see this short sometime.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:11 pm
bengal22 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:40 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:28 pm
bengal22 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:01 pm
New Providence wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:37 am

I'm very much looking forward to watching TENET tonight.
Not as good ad Inception but a very good and ambitious movie. I had to immediately watch it twice to try to decipher it. There are some you. Tube bits that explain the myriad of timelines.
Watched Tenet Sunday night. Enjoyed it, maybe because expectations were low & I focused hard since I heard of the confusing nature of the movie.

Wasn’t better than inception but probably due to execution. As Inception’s premise was a more simple and easier to follow idea than ‘inverted time’.

Overall, I like the ambition of the story but it was not executed well enough to be blockbuster material. And the writing left the actors with not a lot to work with. Major props for the attempt though. Enhancing on the sci-fi / time travel / James Bond genre is a hard nut to crack! I’m here for all serious attempts, though!
https://youtu.be/x6Kbphnil7s

one explanation of the time lines.
:shock: :? :annoyed I wasn’t ready! :shock:
I watched Tenet last night. Excellent discussion above, and thanks for the explanatory link! I picked up on most of the timelines but not all of the implications. Definitely a mind-expanding experience. Fun!
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Wrath of Man. Guy Ritchie's new crime thriller starring Jason Statham. It's expertly crafted, but the story it tells is bleak, ugly, and devoid of humor.

In theaters now.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Unknown” on Netflix. Enjoyed it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unknown_(2011_film)

Tony
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“End Game” on Amazon. Really good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_Game_(2006_film)

Tony
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Hollow, on YouTube.

Early in the morning Poirot (David Suchet) arrives at a country home to find a murder scene. An unfaithful husband lies dead of a gunshot by the swimming pool, his sweet wife stands near him holding a revolver.

The dead husband's current mistress (best friend of the wife) is also present, and the prior evening he had hooked up with a former lover in a nearby cottage.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started