Baskets for shower

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
A440

Baskets for shower

Post by A440 »

We are planning a shower remodel. My spouse doesn't want any niches in the wall, but instead prefers baskets for shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc. Any suggestions for baskets you have used in your showers that have not rusted, fallen down or become "crud collectors"? We are considering schulter shelves that match the drain grate, but some other options on Amazon look like good possibilities.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
bob60014

Re: Baskets for shower

Post by bob60014 »

They all seem to do that. We just buy a nice looking but reasonably priced model and replace every year or two.
Last edited by bob60014 on Mon May 03, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

A440 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:53 am We are planning a shower remodel. My spouse doesn't want any niches in the wall, but instead prefers baskets for shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc. Any suggestions for baskets you have used in your showers that have not rusted, fallen down or become "crud collectors"? We are considering schulter shelves that match the drain grate, but some other options on Amazon look like good possibilities.
Unless you have a detachable shower head that can be used to rinse off everything in the shower after each use, I don't think there is anything that will not collect crud of some sort.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

We have used this for five years, no problems. It is in the back corner so a little less water. We put a piece of tile above and below the pressure points to avoid damage to the ceiling.

https://www.simplehuman.com/products/te ... 8035495043

In addition to the shelves, it has places to hang razors, toothbrushes, etc.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

bob60014 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:11 am They all seem to do that. We just buy a nice looking but reasonably priced model and replace every year or two.
+1
sport

Post by sport »

The answer to your question is to get one made of stainless steel. We have one that we have been using for 14 years and it still looks like new. Stainless will not rust. Soaps will not corrode it. It is easily rinsed off it gets dirty. The one we have hooks over the top of the glass wall.
clutchied

Post by clutchied »

signature hardware has some nice ones.

We did the same; no nooks and then put a teak stool in the shower area with a basket.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

sport wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:11 am The answer to your question is to get one made of stainless steel. We have one that we have been using for 14 years and it still looks like new. Stainless will not rust. Soaps will not corrode it. It is easily rinsed off it gets dirty. The one we have hooks over the top of the glass wall.
Hooking over the top of the glass wall!

That's a doozy of a :oops: for me!

Any vendor suggestions?

Thank you :wink:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

A440 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:53 am We are planning a shower remodel. My spouse doesn't want any niches in the wall, but instead prefers baskets for shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc. Any suggestions for baskets you have used in your showers that have not rusted, fallen down or become "crud collectors"? We are considering schulter shelves that match the drain grate, but some other options on Amazon look like good possibilities.
By the way... I made the same decision when we totally renovated both main bathrooms, and we went upscale on the master.

More than 10 years later (huh... I guess they aren't 'new' anymore) we still love both of them, except for two things: We didn't heat the floor in the other main bathroom (silly at that stage)... and... I wish I had indeed put in some sort of set-in shelf in the master.

The other bathroom has some surface area at the head end of the tub, which works well for, er, anything. But the master is a very large shower with 3 shower heads and no surfaces other than the narrow curb bit next to the base of the glass wall.
Turned out I hated anything hanging over the shower piping where it meets the wall, and there wasn't any other place.
Or so I thought, until the comment about "over the glass wall". That could work.

But I *still* wish we'd built something into that one wall in the middle, so someone on either side could use it.

RM
sport

Post by sport »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:27 pm
sport wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:11 am The answer to your question is to get one made of stainless steel. We have one that we have been using for 14 years and it still looks like new. Stainless will not rust. Soaps will not corrode it. It is easily rinsed off it gets dirty. The one we have hooks over the top of the glass wall.

Any vendor suggestions?

RM
I don't remember where we found ours. It may have been Bed Bath & Beyond. It looks something like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/SMARTAKE-Rustpro ... th&sr=1-47
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

sport wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:38 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:27 pm

Any vendor suggestions?

RM
I don't remember where we found ours. It may have been Bed Bath & Beyond. It looks something like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/SMARTAKE-Rustpro ... th&sr=1-47
Thanks. Is it pretty stable? Do the suction cups work longer term?

I did look online, and also found one by OXO, and we've both been quite impressed with the functionality and comfort of their kitchen utensils.

Thanks ago!

RM
sport

Post by sport »

Yes it is reasonably stable and the suction cups still work. The two hooks on the other side come in handy as well.
MJS

Post by MJS »

Run the shower caddy through the dishwasher once a month; think of it being like washing towels & bathmats or cleaning the shower floor.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

MJS wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:56 pm Run the shower caddy through the dishwasher once a month; think of it being like washing towels & bathmats or cleaning the shower floor.
You run the bath linens through the dishwasher?
:twisted:

But it's doing that with the shower floor that really has me intrigued...

On a more serious note, that's a good suggestion.
We used to run a small HVAC filter (not paper, obviously!) through the dishwasher occasionally, at the suggestion of our HVAC person. (Now we use paper-type HEPA filters.)

Thanks.

RM
Topic Author
A440

Post by A440 »

MJS wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:56 pm Run the shower caddy through the dishwasher once a month; think of it being like washing towels & bathmats or cleaning the shower floor.
Good idea! Thanks for the suggestion.
fposte

Post by fposte »

Naismith wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:06 am We have used this for five years, no problems. It is in the back corner so a little less water. We put a piece of tile above and below the pressure points to avoid damage to the ceiling.

https://www.simplehuman.com/products/te ... 8035495043

In addition to the shelves, it has places to hang razors, toothbrushes, etc.
Another vote for this one. I didn't need the washcloth bar so didn't install that element.
Topic Author
A440

Post by A440 »

On a similar item, what foot ledge/shaving ledge do people recommend? This one looks of interest to us: http://www.sanliv.com/bathroom-accessor ... foot-rest/ well, at least to my wife :happy
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

We've tried several stainless steel caddys at several price points, all with good reviews. Each of our rusted in 6 months to a year.

Last time we bought aluminum https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078D ... UTF8&psc=1

No rust yet, 2 years later.

If you don't like that style, try another, but go with aluminum.
Toons

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

DW purchased TileWare Promessa corner baskets for our showers. These are stainless steel (ours are polished chrome in color). They look the same as when they were installed in our new home three years ago.

https://tilewareproducts.com/shower-bas ... ype_tid=14