Any Washington Post Subscribers?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NW_Nutmegger

Any Washington Post Subscribers?

Post by NW_Nutmegger »

I’ve already gained some valuable insight from Wall Street Journal subscribers, as well as New York Times subscribers (links at the bottom because I can’t link properly here) over the past week.

Now its time to finish off with the last iconic newspaper of the “Big 3” here in America: The Washington Post.

I’m coming to the end of my phenomenal $29 one year online promotion and I’ll probably grab another year at the same price, since it’s currently on the table.

For those of you who are WaPo subscribers: what is it about the paper that makes you continue to read it?

Once again, looking forward to reading your comments.

🔹 WSJ
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=347647&p=5979712#p5979712

🔹 NYT viewtopic.php?f=11&t=347712&p=5981170#p5981170
“Rely on the ordinary virtues that intelligent, balanced human beings have relied on for centuries: common sense, thrift, realistic expectations, patience and perseverance.” — Jack Bogle
adestefan

Re: Any Washington Post Subscribers?

Post by adestefan »

It’s my local paper so a long time home delivery subscriber. The local coverage is just as great as the national coverage. A few years ago I did change to Sunday delivery and use the iPad app for the rest of the week.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

I used to read NYT and Washington Post off and on. But have found that the quality has dropped over the years. And the quantity as well -- the physical papers have gotten thinner (not just due to lost ads) and more expensive. Also feel like the news sections have been overly influenced by the editorial slant of the papers, which seems common in most print and online media on all sides these days. I do find the NYT Wirecutter site somewhat useful, but that doesn't require a sub.

I'm currently on the $4/mo WSJ deal, but will drop that after the deal 12 month period ends as well I think.
RJC

Post by RJC »

Local and free if you are a Fed.
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

It’s actually free to anyone with a gov address and has been since the paywall was instituted with much consternation years ago. Bezos has happily left the policy in place. As for the paper itself I like the fact that they usually hire freelancers from the area to do regional stories rather than parachuting someone in. The newsletters are good. Any time they use an anonymous source they give a reason why. And I think they do a better job of covering the US than the NYT, although the New York Times’ global coverage is second to none (in US media at least).
furwut

Post by furwut »

I subscribed to both the NYT and WaPo over the past year. I discontinued WaPo as I found I don’t have enough time to pay attention to both. I am undecided if I’ll continue with the NYT even.

I like the NYT better because it has a breadth of coverage in areas I’m interested, such as Science and Health. I do think WaPo has the better insight into federal politics.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

Have subscribed to WaPo all my life. Used to read end to end everyday until about 7-10 years ago. I believe quality significantly dropped then and there is a significant political slant in the plain old news coverage. Even in news items there is a political slant (and it is towards my political leanings! ) which is a huge turn off to me. I just want news. I wish they would leave those things to op-ed and opinion pieces. I am still a weekend subscriber (gives me free electronic edition access) as it is a local paper for me. Mostly use for local news and local sports team news.

Recently subscribed to WSJ and couldn't be happier. Most of the time I skip all their opinion and op-ed pieces. And their news just seems to be news.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I subscribed to home delivery of the Washington Post from 1974 until 2010. In the late 2000s several negative changes became noticeable. The paper itself became dramatically thinner. The local news especially suffered. And the price of the paper increased significantly. I now use a free mix of NBC, CBS, news radio, and the internet to get my news.
Bogle7

Like it

Post by Bogle7 »

Have digital via Jeff Bezos’ warehouse company.
Really appreciate the opinion writers.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Mon May 03, 2021 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

I have home delivery since it's my local paper, but also a digital NYT subscription. WaPo is better for national political news, NYT for cultural news. Both are good and do similar work, but that's the difference I see.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I subscribed with the $29/year thing when the crazies were going on in DC. It’s probably the best reporting about what goes on inside the Beltway. Now that things have calmed down though, I don’t read it so obsessively. My local paper (San Diego U-T) reprints the best WashPo articles anyway. I’ll probably let the subscription lapse when it comes up. I also subscribe to NYT and the San Diego U-T. There’s a lot of overlap and I think the NYT does everything not DC related better.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

I am a current WaPo subscriber. For many years the Times was my preferred paper, and for some of that time I had a reserved Sunday paper.

I think it's a tossup for a paper with news stories that are generally bias-free. Just the facts, ma'am. And editorials clearly noted.

Neither paper is totally flub-free although it seems that recently the Times has had more of them.

I feel the perspective of the Wall Street Journal is too limited. The financial reporting is oriented toward those who are going to take investment action based on current events, which is not me.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

NW_Nutmegger wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:19 pm I’ve already gained some valuable insight from Wall Street Journal subscribers, as well as New York Times subscribers (links at the bottom because I can’t link properly here) over the past week.

Now its time to finish off with the last iconic newspaper of the “Big 3” here in America: The Washington Post.

I’m coming to the end of my phenomenal $29 one year online promotion and I’ll probably grab another year at the same price, since it’s currently on the table.

For those of you who are WaPo subscribers: what is it about the paper that makes you continue to read it?

Once again, looking forward to reading your comments.

🔹 WSJ
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=347647&p=5979712#p5979712

🔹 NYT viewtopic.php?f=11&t=347712&p=5981170#p5981170
You read 3 newspapers a day?
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

tuningfork wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:40 pm I subscribed to WaPo a few years ago, mainly to support good journalism, and their political leanings seemed pretty close to mine (plus, Amazon Prime discount). But after a year I unsubscribed. There were a few instances of shoot-from-the-hip journalism that turned out to be false, plus frequent extremely biased* click-bait headlines and stories made me reconsider the "good journalism" part.

*Even if I tend to agree with the sentiment, I don't think a mainstream newspaper should express the bias so strongly. Leave that to the Huffposts and the Breitbarts and their ilk.
This is exactly what I think. And if they want to express opinions, keep them to op-ed and opinion pages so uninterested parties can skip it. It is no longer news when they start peppering the news with all the opinions.

I have plenty of opinions of my own :D. And if I need someone else's opinion I will go seek it out rather than be fed as part of the news.

To make this more actionable, I would say WaPo is not worth the money if you are looking for pure news. But it is worth it if you are looking for opinion pieces on specific aspect of political spectrum.
tfunk

Post by tfunk »

Cancelled my WaPo years ago. Every article seemed to have a political slant. Preditable story after reading the headline. Cancelled NYT also but re-subscribed for $1 a week. Like some of their articles. Opinion pieces are predictable. I have the WSJ for $10/mo. Like the business news, international news, and editorials. Probably will cancel in Sept when the rate doubles - unless they keep me on $10/mo.

Hard to fine a straight news newspaper. I like the Orange County Register. Editorial page is conservative but the news articles seem straight.
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

WAPO has better political coverage than the NYT, but I subscribe to both since the NYT has better international coverage. If you have a local library card, you can usually get free access to the online WAPO.
BillyJo

Post by BillyJo »

I subscribe to the Post, but I'm sure if I looked at list of the stories I've read in the past year or two, it would show that 80% of the content I read from them is of the op-ed/opinion/columnist variety. The headlines seem click-baity, and they rope me in (as they'd expect).

I've been getting The NYT delivered on the weekends for the last couple of years, and I do enjoy that. While there is a heavy left-slant in the stories they run, I like being able to sit down and read a story in-depth without being bombarded with ads, links, and 43 other things popping up to distract me when reading an article on-line.

I have a free on-line subscription to the WSJ - I like their app, but I will admit I don't read that site as much as I read the other two.

For the sports fans out there, I strongly recommend The Athletic!
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

RJC wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:30 pm Local and free if you are a Fed.
Can you elaborate?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed several off-topic posts regarding political bias. This thread has run its course and is locked. See: Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics
If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
  • conspiracy theories of any type
  • discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.