I suspect stolen identity

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
ram

I suspect stolen identity

Post by ram »

I have lived in Wisconsin for last 15 years. I have never lived in Kentucky.
Today I got a letter (snail mail) from : Team Kentucky, Kentucky labor cabinet, Office of unemployment insurance, 500 Mero St, 4SC Frankfort, Kentucky 40601.
The letter says I am eligible for unemployment insurance of about $500 per week.
I have been gainfully employed at all times and have never filed for unemployment benefits with ANY state.

The letter has a headline: Entitlement determination for Pandemic Unemployment assistance.

The letter has the correct last 4 of my SSN.

Could somebody have filed fraudulently. Is this a mistake on behalf of the Kentucky state govt. Any thoughts and any suggestions about what I should do.

I have no intention to provide my full SSN or any other identifiable details other than what they already have.
Last edited by ram on Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ram
ccompounder

Re: I suspect stolen identity

Post by ccompounder »

That sounds more like someone trying to steal your identity instead.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

My advice to you, and everybody else, is to lock your credit at all three credit agencies. Really helpful for sleeping well at night.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Did you see this site for Kentucky unemployment fraud?

https://kcc.ky.gov/career/Pages/UI%20Fraud.aspx
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

Snail mail seems like a pretty expensive and slow way to run a phishing scam. What does the letter ask you to do?
Peaceful

Post by Peaceful »

ram wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:24 pm I have lived in Wisconsin for last 15 years. I have never lived in Kentucky.
Today I got a letter (snail mail) from : Team Kentucky, Kentucky labor cabinet, Office of unemployment insurance, 500 Metro St, 4SC Frankfort, Kentucky 40601.
The letter says I am eligible for unemployment insurance of about $500 per week.
I have been gainfully employed at all times and have never filed for unemployment benefits with ANY state.

The letter has a headline: Entitlement determination for Pandemic Unemployment assistance.

Could somebody have filed fraudulently. Is this a mistake on behalf of the Kentucky state govt. Any thoughts and any suggestions about what I should do.

I have no intention to provide my full SSN or any other identifiable details other than what they already have.
I'd send a certified letter back, with signature confirmation of delivery, with a copy of the letter you received. Your letter should explain that their records are in error; you have never resided in Kentucky nor applied for unemployment benefits in Kentucky; and that you did not authorize anyone else to apply for benefits under your name or using your identification, address, or SSN; and that the matter should be referred immediately to the State of Kentucky Unemployment Division's Fraud Unit for further investigation, with which you will be more than happy to provide whatever assistance you are able. Also advise them in the strongest possible terms that you will NOT be responsible for any benefits erroneously paid to any person, as you did never applied for them and never authorized anyone else to apply for them on your behalf. Also ask them to send you a confirmatory letter in response to confirm they have received your correspondence. ALSO send a copy of the exact same letter by regular U.S. first class mail.
"Be fearful when others are greedy, be even MORE fearful when others are fearful."
Topic Author
ram

Post by ram »

Peaceful wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:37 pm
ram wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:24 pm I have lived in Wisconsin for last 15 years. I have never lived in Kentucky.
Today I got a letter (snail mail) from : Team Kentucky, Kentucky labor cabinet, Office of unemployment insurance, 500 Metro St, 4SC Frankfort, Kentucky 40601.

I'd send a certified letter back, with signature confirmation of delivery, with a copy of the letter you received. Your letter should explain that their records are in error; you have never resided in Kentucky nor applied for unemployment benefits in Kentucky; and that you did not authorize anyone else to apply for benefits under your name or using your identification, address, or SSN; and that the matter should be referred immediately to the State of Kentucky Unemployment Division's Fraud Unit for further investigation, with which you will be more than happy to provide whatever assistance you are able. Also advise them in the strongest possible terms that you will NOT be responsible for any benefits erroneously paid to any person, as you did never applied for them and never authorized anyone else to apply for them on your behalf. Also ask them to send you a confirmatory letter in response to confirm they have received your correspondence. ALSO send a copy of the exact same letter by regular U.S. first class mail.
Excellent advice. Thanks.
Ram
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

And freeze your credit. You're lucky you got this letter, hopefully that's all there is. Now check all your credit reports and see if you have any hard inquiries. Those will show up before credit cards actually get issued in your name or any form of debt servicing. I find that TransUnion gives the most information about who is actually making the inquiry.

Dispute every last one of them. I had to do this for the first time last month. I also filed an FTC identity theft report. Someone in a town I lived in five years ago, was using my name to try to establish credit.
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

It takes only a minute to open up the FTC identify theft report. I bet you could create a report just for what you've had so far, and send it along with your response to Kentucky.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Normchad wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:27 pm My advice to you, and everybody else, is to lock your credit at all three credit agencies. Really helpful for sleeping well at night.
It’s a good suggestion in general (to protect against credit fraud), but I don’t know that it helps the OP track down the cause of what is likely one of many cases of unemployment insurance fraud or resolve the case with the Commonwealth of Kentucky. And I don’t know that it would protect others from similar cases.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/05/scammer ... ents-.html

Personally I think frozen credit files should be the default.

I second Peaceful’s suggestion and would check if there is a phone number available to report the fraud to them via that route as well (in addition to the letter) since mail processing may be delayed.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

ram wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:41 pm
Peaceful wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:37 pm

Excellent advice. Thanks.
I would not do this. I am assuming that this letter is real. This has happened to tens of millions of people in the last year. Someone applied for benefits in 2 different states for my DH. They had all the correct info. Maybe from the Equifax breach?

At this point, I suspect every state has a well established procedure to report unemployment fraud. Just follow it.
Jablean

Post by Jablean »

Yep, our labor department even came out with instructions on what to do. Now if they would only change the letter itself.
1) do not follow any instructions in the letter to confirm your identity online
2) do a google search for your state regarding the issue, you should find a fraud email that is correctly labeled for your state's Department of Labor or call the dispute phone number listed in the email. Just say that you did not request unemployment and give your name.
3) check your credit reports but I'm not sure that unemployment information is the same as what is needed to get credit in your name. Instead of being able to check your accounts for free once a year, recent events have meant you can check them weekly.

Does anyone have a preferred credit protector? I see free services from AAA, my bank tracks my score, Costco has paid services.
kmurp

Post by kmurp »

This happened to me with claims filed in two states. I contacted both states to report it, filed identity theft with the FTC (and followed their instructions). I froze my credit and I also applied for and IRS PIN in January (I think it has to be done annually), to help guard against someone filing a fraudulant tax return with my info. Lastly, I check my credit reports.
Good news is nothing else has gone amiss since my info was stolen.
deauxboy

Post by deauxboy »

As stated above, this fits the bill for the widespread scam last year where benefits were fraudulently filed for and claimed on a large scale. It happened to me and took months of working through State bureaucracy and an (online) hearing with a State Judge to finally get it dismissed in my favor.

A few months later, to add insult to injury, the State sent me a 1099-G to pay tax on the benefits I never received! :shock: Keep copies of your correspondence, you'll need something to include with your tax filing supporting your position.
The most important part of every plan is to plan on the plan not going according to plan. Housel
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Normchad wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:27 pmMy advice to you, and everybody else, is to lock your credit at all three credit agencies. Really helpful for sleeping well at night.
Don't "lock" your credit at the agencies. FREEZE your credit. galawdawg in another thread pointed out that the federal legislation passed a few years ago specifically uses the word "freeze".
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

There have been several threads about similar happenings. Try "unemployment fraud" in the google box above right.
Topic Author
ram

Post by ram »

Thanks everybody.
Filed fraud report at the state website. Got a generic Email saying they are backed up and will get to it.
Credit file checked. All good. Will do the rest.
Ram
Topic Author
ram

Post by ram »

Received a form letter stating " No further payment will be made on this claim" If you receive any checks return them.

The letter does not say if any checks were ever issued.
Ram