Uninsured Motorist Car Insurance - Is it Worth the Expense??

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
ShaftoesSpreadsheet

Re: Uninsured Motorist Car Insurance - Is it Worth the Expense??

Post by ShaftoesSpreadsheet »

My wife got hit by a prostitute (which we could tell from her public FB page) who was high on weed. My wife says when her door opened the smoke wafted out. She wouldn't give her name until my wife said she would call the cops, at which point she admitted she was uninsured... Yikes!

Good thing we had the max uninsured motorist insurance ($20k I think). Wish we could buy more coverage with all the idiots driving around while high thinking "it is legal".

I'm in a state that allows recreational use, in your own home. It is certainly NOT legal to drive impaired.
tj

Post by tj »

Here are my six month rates in California:

PART A - LIABILITY
BODILY INJURY EA PER $1,000,000
EA ACC $1,000,000 197.90
PROPERTY DAMAGE EA ACC $ 500,000 151.46
PART C - UNINSURED MOTORISTS
BODILY INJURY EA PER $1,000,000
EA ACC $1,000,000 59.06
PART D - PHYSICAL DAMAGE COVERAGE
COMPREHENSIVE LOSS ACV LESS D1000 33.80
COLLISION LOSS ACV LESS D1000 198.60
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

shess wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:20 pm
gwe67 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:42 pm Florida has the highest rate of uninsured motorists:

"Your license, plates, and registration will be suspended for up to three years. Once this suspension is in place, you will have to provide the state with proof of a new policy and pay a fee of $150 to have your license, plates, and registration reinstated."

New York has the lowest rate of uninsured motorists:

"The penalties for driving without auto insurance in New York are steep. The state may fine you up to $1,500, charge an additional fee of $750 to restore a revoked license, impound your vehicle, suspend your driving privileges or even require you to serve jail time."
Maybe they could add a provision that your own payout when someone else is at fault is limited to no more than your own coverage levels?
Better yet, if all states had consistent and steep penalties along with sufficient insurance minimums. In the current arrangement, those who are "affluent" and have insurance carry the financial burden for those who are "poor" and don't have insurance.

Enforcement is easy. Once the state sees that insurance is canceled on a particular vehicle, the state could send the registered owner a letter saying "Your vehicle registration is revoked. Turn in your plates within X days or you will be fined $X,XXX".
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%