Buying a new laptop

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
KlangFool

Re: Buying a new laptop

Post by KlangFool »

rich126 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:00 am Do you need a laptop ?

I see some people buying laptops but they don't travel with it, don't need it for business, etc.

Usually desktops last longer, you get more for your money, more customizable, and more easily to replace items that break (monitor, disk, etc.)

I went from laptops to an ipad for travel (mostly entertainment, email, browsing) and around the house, and a desktop for spreadsheets and things that need more power and/or a nice large monitor.
rich126,

<< I went from laptops to an ipad for travel (mostly entertainment, email, browsing) and around the house, and a desktop for spreadsheets and things that need more power and/or a nice large monitor.>>

Or, you could use a laptop with a USB-C hub to connect to large monitor plus wireless keyboard and mouse. And, the laptop could be light enough and enough battery power to be equivalent to Ipad with a bigger screen.

I used to setup my laptop with 2 large external monitors. Aka, 3 screens setup, laptop screen, HDMI connected screen, and USB-C hub connected screen. I have not use a desktop for the last 10+ years.

To each its own.

KlangFool
40% VWENX | 12.5% VFWAX/VTIAX | 11.5% VTSAX | 16% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 40% Wellington 40% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
rich126

Post by rich126 »

KlangFool wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:37 am
rich126 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:00 am Do you need a laptop ?

I see some people buying laptops but they don't travel with it, don't need it for business, etc.

Usually desktops last longer, you get more for your money, more customizable, and more easily to replace items that break (monitor, disk, etc.)

I went from laptops to an ipad for travel (mostly entertainment, email, browsing) and around the house, and a desktop for spreadsheets and things that need more power and/or a nice large monitor.
rich126,

<< I went from laptops to an ipad for travel (mostly entertainment, email, browsing) and around the house, and a desktop for spreadsheets and things that need more power and/or a nice large monitor.>>

Or, you could use a laptop with a USB-C hub to connect to large monitor plus wireless keyboard and mouse. And, the laptop could be light enough and enough battery power to be equivalent to Ipad with a bigger screen.

I used to setup my laptop with 2 large external monitors. Aka, 3 screens setup, laptop screen, HDMI connected screen, and USB-C hub connected screen. I have not use a desktop for the last 10+ years.

To each its own.

KlangFool
You can and it is a good idea if you need the portability of a laptop but overall laptops don't last as long, and cost more for what you get than a desktop. That was my only point.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Flannelbeard wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:51 am
lightheir wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:12 am Just a heads up - I know most/many of your are PC-people (I am) but most youtube and online reviewers are recommending the M1 macbooks by far over ANY pc at any price point. The M1 processor is that much better - not only is it faster, but it consumes so little energy while doing it that the M1 macbook doesn't even have a fan (no fan noise).

The M1 macbooks out right now are so good that even the most prominent youtube reviewers like Dave2D literally are saying "it's hard to even recommend ANY pc over the macbook now" and "the M1 macs are too good". At least up to now, there as been not a single PC threat to it, and in fact, most of these online reviewers are saying that these M1 macs are so good that even PC diehards should make the switch and use crossplatform apps because the $999 Macbook is so far superior in build, screen, value, and performance (pretty much everything), even compared to laptops 2x the price.
Not having a fan is not a feature in a device like that, you will experience thermal throttling of the CPU and GPU.
There was literally no thermal throttling experienced with the M1mac even running at max capacity while running circles around the other PCs in all the online testing that they have. You can watch it yourself. This is a new chip technology, not some normal chip that's just getting more watts and thus overheating.

The m1 chip SIPS power. It's not just avoiding the fan because it's throttling the power - it performs at load without needing the fan.
Last edited by lightheir on Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

sunny_socal wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:01 am
lightheir wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:12 am Just a heads up - I know most/many of your are PC-people (I am) but most youtube and online reviewers are recommending the M1 macbooks by far over ANY pc at any price point. The M1 processor is that much better - not only is it faster, but it consumes so little energy while doing it that the M1 macbook doesn't even have a fan (no fan noise).

The M1 macbooks out right now are so good that even the most prominent youtube reviewers like Dave2D literally are saying "it's hard to even recommend ANY pc over the macbook now" and "the M1 macs are too good". At least up to now, there as been not a single PC threat to it, and in fact, most of these online reviewers are saying that these M1 macs are so good that even PC diehards should make the switch and use crossplatform apps because the $999 Macbook is so far superior in build, screen, value, and performance (pretty much everything), even compared to laptops 2x the price.
Those youtubers also don't do any real work aside from "influencing" from their home office.

The minute you need to run cross-platform compilers, CAD software, simulators/emulators, math software - then the Mac ecosystem tends to become a liability. Yes I know it can be done and I see some diehard users clinging to their macs but Windows has versions of every piece of software on the planet. That will likely never change.

For home use or web browsing, yes a Mac is hard to beat. I have one myself.

I suspect the M1 mac will give your trusty PC's more than a run for their money with the type of software you are mentioning, which are processor (not GPU)heavy. The kind of alleged 'not-work' these youtubers tests include cpu-intensive video processing and other tests, on which the M1 mac crushes anything in (and almost everything above) its price range.

Still, of course if you are tied to PC-specific software, then obviously you're not going to find the M1 macbook useful.

For 'normal' people like the OP likely is though, the M1 is so far ahead of current-gen laptops that it can't be ignored, and is begging for people to switch.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

RobLyons wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:49 pm OP,

I agree with KlangFool that Costco has great return policies. If they have what you're looking for buy it there.

Is Apple a consideration? I ask because I'm typing this on my 9 year old MacBook Pro that was $800 and after a memory and speed upgrade it's still performing like day 1. Little pricier but worth it for their longevity, build quality, etc.

Are chrome books in your consideration? Great bang for the buck.

Other laptops worth considering:

Acer Swift 3
Asus Vivobook 15
Lenovo ideapad 3 chromebook duet
Acer Aspire 5
Yes I would also consider Apple if there isn't a specific reason why apple won't work for you.

We have a 2014 macbook pro that is running like a champ. No issues whatsoever. Still fast. Now getting used even more during pandemic for kid school work.

Then we bought a new base model macbook pro with the M1 chip - gets used daily for school work as well. Fingers crossed that it is still as awesome in 2028 as our current 7 year old macbook pro.

Neither lap tops get used for the intense things like graphics or video editing or anything like that. You could easily make the argument we spent too much money for laptops that get used for basic tasks.
Flannelbeard

Post by Flannelbeard »

lightheir wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:29 pm There was literally no thermal throttling experienced with the M1mac even running at max capacity while running circles around the other PCs in all the online testing that they have. You can watch it yourself. This is a new chip technology, not some normal chip that's just getting more watts and thus overheating.

The m1 chip SIPS power. It's not just avoiding the fan because it's throttling the power - it performs at load without needing the fan.
I'm not watching videos for a product that I'm not going to purchase, made by people who received the product for free and thus have an incentive to inflate opinion of it such that they continue to receive free test products.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

Another vote in the Apple camp.

A couple months ago we replaced our 10+ year old iMac with new M1 MacBook Air 13".

The iMac was still running fine, I did a RAM upgrade about 4 years ago that made a difference, but it finally reached end of OS Support and couldn't be upgraded any further and was causing compatibility issues with some SW we run.

If it was up to me alone we would have purchased as new iMac. We all have iPads and iPhones for portability, the kids also have school issued ChromeBooks and my wife and I each have work issued computers access a shared cloud drive. We didn't need another laptop, but DW wanted a laptop and the M1 iMac wasn't out (or really even rumored) yet so we have a MacBook. Although not necessary, it has been mildly useful to be able to haul it with us as we migrate between homes.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

lightheir wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:29 pm
Flannelbeard wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:51 am

Not having a fan is not a feature in a device like that, you will experience thermal throttling of the CPU and GPU.
There was literally no thermal throttling experienced with the M1mac even running at max capacity while running circles around the other PCs in all the online testing that they have. You can watch it yourself. This is a new chip technology, not some normal chip that's just getting more watts and thus overheating.

Actually, the MacBook Air with M1 is fanless, but the MacBook Pro with M1 does have a fan, which allows it to perform somewhat faster by delaying (not entirely preventing throttling, which is normal on any laptop). Will most people notice the difference in normal use (web browsing and the like)? No.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Flannelbeard wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:44 pm
lightheir wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:29 pm There was literally no thermal throttling experienced with the M1mac even running at max capacity while running circles around the other PCs in all the online testing that they have. You can watch it yourself. This is a new chip technology, not some normal chip that's just getting more watts and thus overheating.

I'm not watching videos for a product that I'm not going to purchase, made by people who received the product for free and thus have an incentive to inflate opinion of it such that they continue to receive free test products.
There is enough consensus on the reviewers regarding the success of the M1 chips that if you think they're just hyping it because it's a free product, you're totally wrong. Enough users posting confirmation as well of what these reviewers are finding.

The good reviewers get popular because they do GOOD reviews. Not just because they shill products that don't live up to the review.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

How about listening to the people who paid for their product and confirm the same thing. Or actually try it yourself before declaring an opinion.
Flannelbeard

Post by Flannelbeard »

hunoraut wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:21 am
How about listening to the people who paid for their product and confirm the same thing. Or actually try it yourself before declaring an opinion.
Nope, don't think I will, 99% of end users have no idea what thermal throttling is, let alone how to identify it.
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

Almost there wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:20 pm Has anyone bought a new laptop recently just for every day use?
Got wife the base M1 MacBook Air (7 core, 8GB ram) when it came out.

Was replacing a 12” macbook. It runs so much faster but more importantly, so much cooler which is very noticeable as she often is holding it. Both are fanless.

How a base model nearly matches intel’s best (desktop) chips is really impressive.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

lightheir wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:29 pm

lightheir,

It is not new. It is a well known technology of using the big core and small core to save power in the cell phone. The new part of this is finally we can scale this up and integrated a bunch of stuff to make it work in a laptop.

So, it is a scaled up cell phone implementation.

KlangFool
Last edited by KlangFool on Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
40% VWENX | 12.5% VFWAX/VTIAX | 11.5% VTSAX | 16% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 40% Wellington 40% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
squirm

Post by squirm »

Those "product influencers" are just as bad as infomercials, actually I gauge them even worse. Not just for computers and gadgets but for tools too. Youtube seems to be infiltrated with them.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic comment. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

Finally found a computer for $600. I did look at Mac but it just wasn’t a fit for me.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-15-6-Ryze ... thena=true

Though I would also like to check Costco and Sam's but they are over $50 miles away. Walmart: 7 miles.

Added the following:
Couldn't find any warranty that Walmart is offering.

Would you recommend I sign up for the following?
The Protection plan is:
2 years $54.00
3 years $79.00

Premium tech support and Security $89.00

Does anyone have any knowledge of the Protection plan or tech support?
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Almost there wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:30 pm Finally found a computer for $600. I did look at Mac but it just wasn’t a fit for me.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-15-6-Ryze ... thena=true

Though I would also like to check Costco and Sam's but they are over $50 miles away. Walmart: 7 miles.

Added the following:
Couldn't find any warranty that Walmart is offering.

Would you recommend I sign up for the following?
The Protection plan is:
2 years $54.00
3 years $79.00

Premium tech support and Security $89.00

Does anyone have any knowledge of the Protection plan or tech support?
At least you stuck within your budget! :wink:

I'd skip the protection/maintenance plans. Computers are pretty much bulletproof when it comes to the hardware. If something is going to 'break' it's because you inadvertently installed some crapware from the web.
Somethingwitty92912

Post by Somethingwitty92912 »

Almost there wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:20 pm After 5 years my computer is no longer working. So started searching for another Dell laptop.
Looking for 8 GB memory and 256 GB SS hard drive with an at least i3 or i5 Intel processor. Spend around $500. Checked Dell online but found that quite a few people were complaining about their fan noises.
Has anyone bought a new laptop recently just for every day use?
What are you trying to do with it? Is this just multimedia, surfing, banking, sort of machine?
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

I know I'm late to the party, but if you haven't yet purchased the Walmart HP computer, may I recommend you consider a Lenovo Thinkpad, particularly an X or T series?

I've used those for years, they are generally built like tanks, and are very, very easy to repair if down the road something goes wrong. The Lenovo outlet has refurbished and new systems, even the refurbished come with a one year warranty. I've bought several systems from the Lenovo outlet and all are still working perfectly (contrast that to the Dell Latitudes we had in my office and regularly had to service and replace until we went to Lenovo Thinkpads, and to HP and other consumer-grade systems that my friends often buy which seem almost disposable).

There is currently a Thinkpad X280 (Intel Core i5-8350, 12.5" screen, 8gb RAM, 256GB solid state drive, Win 10 Professional) for $578, a Thinkpad X390 (Intel Core i5-8265U, 13.3" screen, 8gb RAM, 256GB solid state drive, Win 10 Professional), a Thinkpad X390 (Intel Core i5-8265U, 13.3" screen, 8gb RAM, 512GB solid state drive, Win 10 Professional) for $591 and if you prefer a convertible, a Thinkpad Yoga (Intel Core i7-10510U, 13.3" screen, 8gb RAM, 256GB solid state drive, Win 10 Professional) for $605. Those are just a few of the systems I saw. https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/outletus/laptops/c/LAPTOPS

Good luck!
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:16 pm
Almost there wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:41 pm
nalor511 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:17 pm Acer $500
https://slickdeals.net/f/14980886-acer- ... SiteSearch
Not using an Intel processor

Asus $550
https://slickdeals.net/f/14978045-asus- ... SiteSearch
Not using an Intel processor

Lenovo $600
https://slickdeals.net/f/14978090-14-le ... SiteSearch
too expensive
[ quote and links fixed by admin LadyGeek]

Almost there
[ quote fixed by admin LadyGeek]

You may want to reconsider being such a stickler for an Intel, especially with your quite low price cap. Of the 2 processors represented in the items posted above, the Ryzen 4500U is newer, significantly faster, has dramatically better video performance AND is cheaper than the i5 1035G1.
+1 AMD has really stepped up their game the Ryzen 5 is the best deal going right now.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

Almost there wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:20 pm After 5 years my computer is no longer working. So started searching for another Dell laptop.
Looking for 8 GB memory and 256 GB SS hard drive with an at least i3 or i5 Intel processor. Spend around $500. Checked Dell online but found that quite a few people were complaining about their fan noises.
Define everyday use.

1 . On one end 8 or more hours a day using processor, memory, graphics intensive application. Gaming, Complex excel modeling, photo editing. $500 is going to cut it.

2. a couple of hours of wed surfing and lightweight excel. I'd be all over this one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-IdeaP ... lsrc=aw.ds

or

https://www.costco.com/acer-aspire-3-15 ... 96723.html
Topic Author
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

Somethingwitty92912 wrote:
What are you trying to do with it? Is this just multimedia, surfing, banking, sort of machine?
Good question: I am retired and using my computer a couple of times a week for banking, investing, spreadsheets and surfing maybe 15-20 hours per week.
Topic Author
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

galawdawg wrote:
There is currently a Thinkpad X280 (Intel Core i5-8350, 12.5" screen, 8gb RAM, 256GB solid state drive, Win 10 Professional) for $578, a Thinkpad X390 (Intel Core i5-8265U, 13.3" screen, 8gb RAM, 256GB solid state drive, Win 10 Professional), a Thinkpad X390 (Intel Core i5-8265U, 13.3" screen, 8gb RAM, 512GB solid state drive, Win 10 Professional) for $591 and if you prefer a convertible, a Thinkpad Yoga (Intel Core i7-10510U, 13.3" screen, 8gb RAM, 256GB solid state drive, Win 10 Professional) for $605. Those are just a few of the systems I saw. https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/outletus/laptops/c/LAPTOPS
Thank you for your post which included different Thinkpads. I checked the recommended Thinkpad X390 but couldn't figure out if it had at least 2 USB ports (is it because it is not a laptop?) and it is small and refurbished. Why buy a refurbished if I can get a new laptop? The last refurbished laptop I ordered from Tigerdirect was 10 years ago and lasted 5 years. Should have added: at that time, a refurbished unit was cheaper than a new one.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Almost there wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:19 pm Somethingwitty92912 wrote:
Good question: I am retired and using my computer a couple of times a week for banking, investing, spreadsheets and surfing maybe 15-20 hours per week.
Then you could probably get away with a chromebook if cost is a concern. Just to hop on the bandwagon, but my wife requested a new work laptop earlier today, she's had constant compatibility and connectivity issues with her virtually brand new Macbook Pro with the M1 chip. She much prefers the Apple ecosystem, but seems to be that outlier who has had terrible reliability history with their products (both laptops and phones).
Topic Author
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

stoptothink wrote:

Thank you for your response.
Then you could probably get away with a chromebook if cost is a concern. Just to hop on the bandwagon, but my wife requested a new work laptop earlier today, she's had constant compatibility and connectivity issues with her virtually brand new Macbook Pro with the M1 chip. She much prefers the Apple ecosystem, but seems to be that outlier who has had terrible reliability history with their products (both laptops and phones).
Don't like chromebook at all and Apple/Mac, as previously mentioned, are out of the question for a number of different reasons.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Flannelbeard wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:27 am
hunoraut wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:21 am
Nope, don't think I will, 99% of end users have no idea what thermal throttling is, let alone how to identify it.
That's true, but everyone knows what fan noise is. Get a Macbook Air and you will never hear it again, ever, because the M1 delivers wonderful performance with no fan in the computer. Being old school and skeptical, I got the Macbook Pro, which has a fan, and 99% of the time, it doesn't come on. I still have my 2020 Intel Mac and the difference in heat, noise and battery life is amazing.

And your characterization of the youtubers is false. There are dozens of people posting hard numbers, not just opinions. The Arm Macs are a whole new thing and even average computer users are going to figure that out.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:39 pm I'm not thrilled with my late 2018 Inspiron. I'm having intermittent functionality issues with several keys on the right side of the keyboard, plus the case cracked in multiple places just from picking it up (with one hand - I learned it's apparently a "two hand" laptop.) Actually today I finally replaced the bottom of the case, although a matching silver one wasn't available, only black. However it's probably not possible to extrapolate from a 2018 model to a 2021. Computers are much more expensive now, of course.

When I bought my computer I upgraded the memory and replaced the spinning disk with a ssd. I completely disagree with anyone who makes blanket statements about how trivial this is to do, and I have experience replacing those components (plus in come cases hinges and other parts) all my dozen-plus laptops from different manufacturers. The experience greatly varies with each model, and newer laptops are definitely not more service-friendly in general. It's extremely easy to damage a laptop when replacing components, except for models where there are simple external access panels for each component. So if possible I'd try to buy a laptop with the components I wanted, even at a somewhat higher cost.
+1. Notable exception to this used to be thinkpads. I say used to because I have given up on them several years ago.
Topic Author
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

Wondering if people hear fan noises from their laptop it’s because the laptop is either on their lap or cushion? My laptop is always on my desk. So maybe it’s the reason I never heard a fan?
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Almost there wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:57 pm Wondering if people hear fan noises from their laptop it’s because the laptop is either on their lap or cushion? My laptop is always on my desk. So maybe it’s the reason I never heard a fan?
It depends how efficiently your laptop processes tasks and what you are doing. For most typical web surfing and office tasks, most modern laptops and chromebooks use so little power that they don't generate enough heat to need a fan so you won't hear it.

Once you start doing more computationally intensive stuff, heat starts to become a problem if your processor can crank the speed up.

When you start dealing with 3-D gaming laptops, with demanding games like Cyberpunk at full max graphics settings, the fan will be blowing at full volume, full speed, pretty much all the time. Even if its on your desk.
Topic Author
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

Lightheir wrote:
It depends how efficiently your laptop processes tasks and what you are doing. For most typical web surfing and office tasks, most modern laptops and chromebooks use so little power that they don't generate enough heat to need a fan so you won't hear it.
So thank you. This actually describes me to a “T. No gaming for me ever. I’m much too busy doing other stuff on my computer or just enjoying my retirement.

Almost there
invest4

Post by invest4 »

Used Dell XPS 13...ebay

I have purchased several of them for my family for daily use. I find them to be super solid and around $500 has also been the "sweet spot" for what I have purchased and should satisfy your requirements.
Topic Author
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

Thank you invest4
Doesn’t offer my minimum requirements and price was $600.
Topic Author
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

Came across NewEgg and found the following for $530:

Acer Laptop Aspire 5 A515-44-R4M5 AMD Ryzen 5 4000 Series 4500U (2.30 GHz)
8 GB Memory 512 GB SSD AMD Radeon Graphics 15.6" Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Has 3 USB + 1 USB-C and Ethernet port.

It's offering what I am looking for and people convinced me to go with Ryzen 5.

Have never used NewEgg. Any comments?

Almost there
(literally)
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Almost there wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:48 pm Came across NewEgg and found the following for $530:

Almost there
(literally)
Good all around EXCEPT for the awful display. 1366x768 resolution in a 15.6 inch panel will be horribly pixelated, and it's a TN panel with bad colors, contrast, and viewing angles.

This one is very similar, less SSD capacity (easy upgrade) but vastly better IPS display with Full HD resolution, for $40 more: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-A515-44G-R8 ... 087N4ZRXV/. The difference in display quality is HUGE.

Amazon also has a better return policy than Newegg.
Last edited by 02nz on Wed May 05, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Almost there wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:48 pm Came across NewEgg and found the following for $530:

Almost there
(literally)
That particular model has a 1366x768 screen. In my opinion, the main problem is there's not much vertical space on that screen, so when you browse websites you'll find yourself needing to scroll more often. Ideally it'd be a full HD 1920x1080.

I've used newegg a few times and had a good experience.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

sycamore wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:56 pm

Almost there
(literally)
That particular model has a 1366x768 screen. In my opinion, the main problem is there's not much vertical space on that screen, so when you browse websites you'll find yourself needing to scroll more often. Ideally it'd be a full HD 1920x1080.

I've used newegg a few times and had a good experience.
That's not the problem exactly - the text scaling would be set lower on a 1366x768 display, so the amount of information displayed could be comparable. But when you look at a TN and IPS panel side by side, it's just about night and day.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Almost there
(literally)
If you mean you want comments on New Egg... I often bought components from NewEgg many years ago, but then it seemed that many items at NewEgg were no longer actually sold by NewEgg. So it seemed to become more of a marketplace, with some dubious vendors. At least that was my impression, but I could be wrong, I just haven't found sufficiently compelling values there to have purchased anything from them lately.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Almost there wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:38 pm galawdawg wrote:
Thank you for your post which included different Thinkpads. I checked the recommended Thinkpad X390 but couldn't figure out if it had at least 2 USB ports (is it because it is not a laptop?) and it is small and refurbished. Why buy a refurbished if I can get a new laptop? The last refurbished laptop I ordered from Tigerdirect was 10 years ago and lasted 5 years. Should have added: at that time, a refurbished unit was cheaper than a new one.
If you click on the Shop Now link for each Thinkpad, it will take you to the specifications. For example, here is a link to the specs on the X390: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/outletus/l ... 20Q0X004US. It has four USB 3.1 ports. It also has very robust specifications and features, such as a 1920x1080 IPS display.

As far as refurbished, the refurbished Thinkpads come with a full one year warranty and as a refurbished it has generally been well checked out before being offered for sale. Every one I have purchased has looked and performed just like a brand new laptop. Never a scratch, dent, blemish, etc. IMHO, buying a refurbished Thinkpad is like buying a one year old Certified Preowned Lexus with full Lexus warranty where buying a new Acer/HP or other consumer/entry grade laptop is like buying a brand new Corolla. In fact, I am typing this on a Thinkpad X300 which I purchased in 2008! It runs Windows 10 Professional as well, if not better, than my neighbor's one year old HP (which I am regularly asked to troubleshoot).

But you know what will work best for you! Happy hunting!
02nz

Post by 02nz »

galawdawg wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:02 pm If you click on the Shop Now link for each Thinkpad, it will take you to the specifications. For example, here is a link to the specs on the X390: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/outletus/l ... 20Q0X004US. It has four USB 3.1 ports.
I have the Yoga version of the X390 for work. I would strongly recommend a Ryzen 4000-equipped laptop over the X390, as it will perform better and cooler than the 8th-gen Intel processor in the X390, which runs rather hot. The fan is almost always whirring away. Also worth noting, 2 of the 4 USB ports are USB-C, and one of those two is taken up by the power adapter. Of course it's easy to get a USB hub if you need more ports.
dwc13

Post by dwc13 »

For 2+ years I have been using a 14" Huawei MateBook D powered by a Ryzen 2500U with Vega 8 mobile graphics & Full HD IPS panel. So the technology is several Ryzen mobile CPU releases ago. It's still working like a champ despite being handicapped with only 8GB RAM soldered to the motherboard (no available slot). I have it connected to a 27" QHD monitor (2560 x 1440) running at 60Hz and run only that screen. In the past it's been up to the task while I occasionally worked on a few crazy complicated Excel spreadsheets. Huawei's build quality on this (older) model is really good.

If I was currently in the market for a new notebook computer, Ryzen mobile 4xxx (and 5xxx) CPUs would be on the short list. Be aware the Ryzen 3 5300U, Ryzen 5 5500U, and Ryzen 7 5700U mobile CPUs are actually based upon the older *Zen 2* architecture, which is used in the Ryzen mobile 4xxx CPUs. Tech companies and their confusing naming conventions.
Topic Author
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

02nz wrote:
galawdawg wrote: ↑Wed May 05, 2021 6:02 pm
If you click on the Shop Now link for each Thinkpad, it will take you to the specifications. For example, here is a link to the specs on the X390: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/outletus/l ... 20Q0X004US. It has four USB 3.1 ports.
I have the Yoga version of the X390 for work. I would strongly recommend a Ryzen 4000-equipped laptop over the X390, as it will perform better and cooler than the 8th-gen Intel processor in the X390, which runs rather hot. The fan is almost always whirring away. Also worth noting, 2 of the 4 USB ports are USB-C, and one of those two is taken up by the power adapter. Of course it's easy to get a USB hub if you need more ports.
The recommended X390 is no longer available.
Topic Author
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

Went to the Lenovo website and found the following choices on page 2 between $500- $600. Which would you recommend?

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/outletus/l ... asc&page=1

Almost there
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Honestly, since we have gone with all Apple products we hav enjoyed the experience so much more.

The entire house is Apple: Mac, iPads, iPhones, Apple TV’s, AirPods, Watches, etc.

We spend almost no maintenance. The products last so much longer. They never seem to slow down.

CONSIDER IT!
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Almost there wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:21 pm Went to the Lenovo website and found the following choices on page 2 between $500- $600. Which would you recommend?

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/outletus/l ... asc&page=1
I would get the X13 Gen 1. The X series is Lenovo's workhorse business/enterprise line. They're really well built and last a long time.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

I agree, the X13 is a great system. If you prefer a slightly larger screen (14"), you could go with the Thinkpad T490s (https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/outletus/l ... 20NXX06500) but that is $675, a little over your budget.

They just added a Thinkpad X280 at $552.49 which has a 12.5 inch screen if you don't mind a smaller screen, but it has great specs and great bang for the buck (this model and specs retailed for about $1,500 last year). It is full HD (1920x1080) with OnCell touchscreen, fingerprint reader, four (4) USB ports, 6 cell battery and so on. No plastic case here. Glass fiber lid and magnesium/aluminum bottom case. If I didn't already have too many Thinkpads (six), I'd probably buy it myself! https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/outletus/l ... 20KFX05700

I've got several of both the X series and T series Thinkpads and they are all great machines. The X series is a little lighter and a little smaller, but even the T series are very portable. You won't go wrong with either an X series or T series. I don't have any experience with some of the other Thinkpads (the P, L, E and A series) but understand those to be more low-cost "consumer" focused with plastic cases, lower specs and just not quite as robust as the "business" models.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Almost there wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:28 pm Thank you all for your input. It’ll take me a couple days to digest it.
Thank you radiowave for mentioning the loud fan noice. Every computer I checked out on the web, mentioned it. Will also check everyone’s recommendations.
So after my computer was getting slower and slower, I reached out for help. I ran a virus scan again, and now my computer is running normal again. That happens! 😆🤪😉
I was reading this thread and thinking about how I was going to post - "what's wrong with it, have you tried to fix it?" when I came across this.

Many people have little idea how to keep their PCs running good, and simply buy a new one very prematurely. Right now I am typing on an HP Compaq 6200 Pro, which has an i7-2600, 8GB of memory, a 500GB SSD, and a 4 TB 5400 RPM hard drive. This model computer was first introduced in the first quarter of 2011, i.e. 10 years ago. It was likely discontinued in 2012. It took the place of an IBM Thinkpad laptop that had the screen die, a second time, when it was 10 years old.

Tips to keep a Windows computer running good:

- Never run any antivirus software except Windows built-in security
- Never run any "cleaner" software
- Never download any attachment that you aren't expecting. If your best friend sends you an attachment and you don't know what it is, email him back and say "Fred, I got ____ attached to an email you sent. What is this?"
- Every few years, backup your data and reinstall the operating system and programs (assuming you have a) the ability to do so and b) access to the software to reload it. Many modern computers have a button, or a series of steps you can take to restore your computer to "as shipped" condition, and then you simply update everything (which also may delete all your data).
- Every few years, open the computer and clean it out carefully with a can of compressed air (desktops).

My end of 2016 laptop that I rarely use is due for a reinstall.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

A few people talked about Costco's great return policy and missed a HUGE advantage with appliances, TVs, and computers (not tablets) purchased at Costco - a 4 year warranty.

Costco offers a 2 year warranty on TVs, displays, projectors, computers (not tablets), major appliances, and water heaters. They provide ANOTHER 2 YEARS if you use your Costco Visa (which of course gives you 2% cashback also). If you're an Executive Member, you get ANOTHER 2% cashback.

They also provide Concierge Services, but I've never used them. https://www.costco.com/concierge-two-pl ... ranty.html

Of course, using the Costco Visa to buy a computer ANYWHERE adds 2 years to the warranty, but most computers have a 1 year warranty or even less.

I wouldn't touch an Acer with a ten foot pole.

Watch NewEgg selling computers from 3rd parties, and "refurbished" hidden in the description somewhere...
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.