Counter Top Water Filtering System

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Counter Top Water Filtering System

Post by Barefootgirl »

Are there any worthwhile alternatives to a Berkey counter top system, for a renter?

Seems that Berkey is unfortunately no longer making the size I used to use (single filter, no spigot)... we are a small household, the water here has an odd flavor...not even considering what else could be lurking in it lol.

Thanks
Last edited by Barefootgirl on Mon May 03, 2021 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
Nyc10036

Re: Table Top Water Filtering System

Post by Nyc10036 »

For just drinking water and cooking, we use Zero Water.

I don't have subscription but you may want to read : https://www.consumerreports.org/water-f ... -face-off/
illumination

Post by illumination »

I'd really encourage you to get a Reverse Osmosis system, it's very inexpensive. Years ago I fooled around with all sorts of other things like a Brita or home water delivery. Around $150 for an iSpring RO system and probably around $100+ for a plumber to install. You can get fancier ones like Kinetico but I personally think they are borderline scams with their pricing and all do the same basic thing.

An RO is about as pure water as you can possibly get. I don't even change the filters once a year and I get by fine. Maybe $15 or so for a replacement filter set, 10 minutes to change them. It's just a really nice home upgrade to have unlimited pure drinking water.
NeuroDragn

Post by NeuroDragn »

+1 on the RO system. I have an under the counter frizzlife system which is awesome. They make a countertop unit that looks equally good.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

RO is going to be more wasteful than the system Barefootgirl is replacing (a gravity-fed system). That said, the exact needs are going to be dependent on the concerns about the source water. If it's a municipal water supply, there should be an annual water quality report available from the water company that says how it tests at the source (it may pick up contaminants while in transit). If one is really concerned about what lurks in one's water, there are independent lab tests too.

If the concern is primarily taste and odor, then you'd probably be fine with a carbon/resin type filter like Brita, Pur, Zero Water, and the like. If there's something more serious, you might need true filtration systems instead of just a filter (edit: meant to type "just a pitcher filter" but forgot a rather vital word there).
lobsterman2112

Post by lobsterman2112 »

Generally local companies that sell water purification systems will do home tests for cheap or free.

We got a home test done (we took the water in a glass container to them) when we first moved in.

They told us that other than hardness, we were generally good with the water as long as we weren't interested in Reverse Osmosis systems.

We ended up getting a Brita pitcher. :D
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

Caution.... there are a lot of poor performing, non performing, and downright dangerous water "treatment" systems on the market today.

If your water is coming from a public water district, get a copy of its water quality report. Most water districts are more than happy to discuss water quality with their customers.

For taste, there are a few activated carbon filter treatment systems that can work for apartment renters. Just be cautious about any system that sits out and only loosely covered for long periods.
unstartable

Re: Counter Top Water Filtering System

Post by unstartable »

I've been happy with a basic 3M Filtrete under sink filter for eliminating the chlorine taste. The system is inexpensive, the replacement filters are inexpensive, and I trust 3M to do what they say.

Edit to add: This is for improving the taste of a reliable municipal water supply.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

We had undercounter tank and triple filter systems for many years. About 9 years ago we went back to the largest Berky with the single spigot and ceramic filters. Works great for our needs.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 »

More info here from NY Times Wirecutter

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... r-pitcher/

The Pur Ultimate Water Dispenser is a higher-capacity option that we recommend for homes with more than two people. Its 18-cup capacity means you have plenty of water on hand. And, unlike a pitcher, it can dispense water while the filter is still working.
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

Use Aqua-Pure under sink system with tap on countertop
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:44 pm RO is going to be more wasteful than the system Barefootgirl is replacing (a gravity-fed system). That said, the exact needs are going to be dependent on the concerns about the source water. If it's a municipal water supply, there should be an annual water quality report available from the water company that says how it tests at the source (it may pick up contaminants while in transit). If one is really concerned about what lurks in one's water, there are independent lab tests too.

If the concern is primarily taste and odor, then you'd probably be fine with a carbon/resin type filter like Brita, Pur, Zero Water, and the like. If there's something more serious, you might need true filtration systems instead of just a filter (edit: meant to type "just a pitcher filter" but forgot a rather vital word there).
+1

OP should really understand what they are trying to remove before finding a solution.
illumination

Post by illumination »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:44 pm RO is going to be more wasteful than the system Barefootgirl is replacing (a gravity-fed system). That said, the exact needs are going to be dependent on the concerns about the source water. If it's a municipal water supply, there should be an annual water quality report available from the water company that says how it tests at the source (it may pick up contaminants while in transit). If one is really concerned about what lurks in one's water, there are independent lab tests too.

But when you say "wasteful", it's almost like saying if you bathe, water plants or have a lawn in your yard, you're wasting water. Except these things use hundreds of times the water an RO does. I won't even get into how much water is wasted if you own a pool. But is there a more "legitimate" use of water than for drinking?

I've heard estimates of around 2:1, where 2 gallons are used to flush the impurities per 1 gallon of pure water. Some systems are more efficient and can go 1:1. Adding that up, you are literally talking about something like an extra $1-$2 PER YEAR on your water bill to have an RO system. About 99% of my water bill goes to everything BUT drinking water.
namekevaste

Post by namekevaste »

I have used the Aquatru https://www.aquatruwater.com countertop RO system for over 2 years. It performs well and does not waster much water. I use the "waste water" for my indoor plants.