IPhone Battery Replacement?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hudson

Re: IPhone Battery Replacement?

Post by hudson »

waltman300 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:27 pm
Buy another edition new iphone? If so... what is the newest edition iphone new that i can buy? I dont want to buy the l2 because that is ridiculously overpriced.
All iphones: https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

which is right for you? https://www.apple.com/iphone/
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:19 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:12 am I personally would not care if apple store people snooped in my phone. I can't even think what anyone would have on their phone that they would care that the whole world would see (which hackers certainly can). Maybe I'm just boring with my mom's phone number and wife's email addresses stored. Meh.
I guess you don't use the apps from your financial institutions or any online shopping apps or medical apps or Apple Pay.
Wipe your phone before you give the phone up for repair. You can do it at the apple store after replicating your issues and getting the repair order written up. It takes 30 seconds. Settings-General-Reset-Erase All Content and Settings.

Restore from iCloud or local backup when you get it back.

That's if you're really that concerned about getting your identity stolen at the Genius Bar. If any of your app passwords are the same as your iPhone passcode lock then you have bigger problems to worry about than the Genius Bar.
Uniswap

Post by Uniswap »

waltman300 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:27 pm I took a look at the iphone SE recently at the apple store. Is anyone surprised at how much less it weighs than the old iphone SE?

Also the new iphone l2... im surprised that isn't that big at all.

But based on the information given... should i

Go to apple and get replacement battery for old iphone SE

Buy new iphone SE

Buy another edition new iphone? If so... what is the newest edition iphone new that i can buy? I dont want to buy the l2 because that is ridiculously overpriced.
iPhone SE 1 weighs 113g. iPhone SE 2 weighs 148g. So not sure why the SE 2 felt lighter to you.

Apple currently sells these phones, ordered from newest to oldest:

12 mini / 12 / 12 Pro / 12 Pro Max
SE 2nd Generation / 11
XR

Basically you will get what you pay for. The SE 2 is probably the best in terms of cost performance, as long as the small screen is acceptable. But for you it would be an increase in screen size from the SE 1.

Personally I would not spend money to replace a battery in a phone that will probably become obsolete when the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference kicks off in June.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

waltman300 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:27 pm I took a look at the iphone SE recently at the apple store. Is anyone surprised at how much less it weighs than the old iphone SE?
The current iPhone SE is noticeably heavier than the old one. That's not even a bad thing really since it's bigger, but I can't imagine how the old one could feel heavier.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Get the apple SE 2.

Or - If you are not tied to apple products per se, and are very concerned about pricing, I suggest you consider an non apple cell phone. Multiple cell phone brands and models can be had with similar or even greater capabilities for significantly less than the corresponding iPhone model.

We are pretty much tied to apple products across immediate family - multiple phones/pads/minis/macbooks, so we stick with apple products.

My wife and I get a new Iphone on average every 4-5 years. We usually wait till right after September release and get the latest iphone - in 2019 she got the iphone 11 pro and in 2020 I got the Iphone 12. They are fantastic devices, with admittedly premium prices, but we are comfortable spending more in this specific category when necessary.
Topic Author
waltman300

Post by waltman300 »

The iphone passlock lock is all numbers right? If so, how could one of your app passwords be the same as it? Rarely if ever people have their passwords as numbers right?
Topic Author
waltman300

Post by waltman300 »

Okay well when i took a look at the iphone SE new one recently... it weigh less than the current iphone SE. Then again, i did have a case with my current SE... so maybe thats why? But the case isn't those heavy cases though. Also isn't the texture of both phones much different? The old SE feels more smoother... the new SE felt like more marbleish feeling? That is what i remember and wasn't that big fan of it. I did notice the screen size is bit bigger with the new SE.

What do you mean the SE will be obsolete when the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference kicks off in June? You mean i can't use it anymore or what do you mean? Someone said once they roll the IOS 15 update in late September or October, then the old SE can't update to the new IOS but it still would be usable right?

The thing is I will be soon abroad for another 6 months or so outside the US... so as Im in the US right now for a short while, I don't want any issue with my phone being abroad. But could i continue to use my iphone for the next 6 months or so without issue? Again, i dont mind not being able to update to the new IOS... i would just continue using whatever i can. Or could that possibly be a problem?

I was also thinking... forget about the battery change for now since yes the battery is bad... but its still okay and since i have a powerbank and the charging cable with me... im still good for 6 months etc. Thoughts on that? I did notice my battery had issues maybe like three months ago but since abroad... well i didn't want to get new battery abroad and also because i had the powerbank/charging cable. Like right now, its not too bad etc.

What are your thoughts on this? I dont mind getting a new iphone like 6 months plus later when i get back to the US. But by then, the prices of the current iphones should still be the same? But I most likely will stick with the new SE.

Thanks.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

op

You should look into Google FI, esp for multiple networks across the globe, and good for business traveler.

Your old Iphone SE1 would not be a secure phone to use, many people have said this to you.

https://fi.google.com/about/phones/
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

waltman300 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:29 am Okay well when i took a look at the iphone SE new one recently... it weigh less than the current iphone SE. Then again, i did have a case with my current SE... so maybe thats why? But the case isn't those heavy cases though. Also isn't the texture of both phones much different? The old SE feels more smoother... the new SE felt like more marbleish feeling? That is what i remember and wasn't that big fan of it. I did notice the screen size is bit bigger with the new SE.

What do you mean the SE will be obsolete when the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference kicks off in June? You mean i can't use it anymore or what do you mean? Someone said once they roll the IOS 15 update in late September or October, then the old SE can't update to the new IOS but it still would be usable right?

The thing is I will be soon abroad for another 6 months or so outside the US... so as Im in the US right now for a short while, I don't want any issue with my phone being abroad. But could i continue to use my iphone for the next 6 months or so without issue? Again, i dont mind not being able to update to the new IOS... i would just continue using whatever i can. Or could that possibly be a problem?

I was also thinking... forget about the battery change for now since yes the battery is bad... but its still okay and since i have a powerbank and the charging cable with me... im still good for 6 months etc. Thoughts on that? I did notice my battery had issues maybe like three months ago but since abroad... well i didn't want to get new battery abroad and also because i had the powerbank/charging cable. Like right now, its not too bad etc.

What are your thoughts on this? I dont mind getting a new iphone like 6 months plus later when i get back to the US. But by then, the prices of the current iphones should still be the same? But I most likely will stick with the new SE.
Getting another battery in your old SE will set you back $49.

Personally, I would just get a new phone rather than trying to nurse along a phone that is already 5 years old.

I always break it down into a daily cost for owning the device. If you are going to pay $399 for a new iPhone SE and keep it 5 years. 5 x 365 days = 1825 days. $399 divided by 1825 days = 22 cents per day.

27 cents per day to keep it for 4 years.
36 cents per day to keep it for 3 years.
54 cents per day to keep it for 2 years.
$1.09 per day to keep it for 1 year.

Hey. Why not treat yourself to a 12 Pro Max for $1099 and keep it 5 years. That's only 60 cents a day. :beer

These things are not that expensive when you break it down into total cost of ownership for the device for the years you appear to use it.

Do we need to be beating ourselves up over spending 22 cents per day vs. 60 cents per day for a phone that we use for 5 years?

The big stuff - housing, transportation, food, health care is what we should be beating ourselves up over regarding the prices we pay and what that equates to for our daily/monthly/annual expenses. Not a device we use for many hours per day as a utility.

CyclingDuo
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

waltman

Here is latest deal on Iphone SE2 (2020) 149 at Walmart StraightTalk

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Tal ... /376572337

In-store Exclusive Promotion: Buy & Activate a Straight Talk iPhone SE (2020) in-store and get an additional $100 OFF, now $149.

Enjoy the classically sleek design of the iPhone SE in White at a great price from Straight Talk. Take stunning family photos in portrait mode with either the 12MP main camera or the 7MP front selfie camera. Your pictures and videos will always look impressive on the crisp 4.7'' retina display. Get the iPhone SE with no contract or mystery fees when you pair it with a talk, text & plan from Straight Talk, starting at $24.88. Share all your favorite moments on your feeds at any time, anywhere with nationwide coverage™ on America’s largest and most dependable† networks. Shop for your next iPhone and plan online or in store at your local Walmart. This iPhone SE is locked to Straight Talk and can only be used with Straight Talk service.
starboi

Post by starboi »

retire2022 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:10 pm waltman

Here is latest deal on Iphone SE2 (2020) 149 at Walmart StraightTalk

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Tal ... /376572337

In-store Exclusive Promotion: Buy & Activate a Straight Talk iPhone SE (2020) in-store and get an additional $100 OFF, now $149.

Enjoy the classically sleek design of the iPhone SE in White at a great price from Straight Talk. Take stunning family photos in portrait mode with either the 12MP main camera or the 7MP front selfie camera. Your pictures and videos will always look impressive on the crisp 4.7'' retina display. Get the iPhone SE with no contract or mystery fees when you pair it with a talk, text & plan from Straight Talk, starting at $24.88. Share all your favorite moments on your feeds at any time, anywhere with nationwide coverage™ on America’s largest and most dependable† networks. Shop for your next iPhone and plan online or in store at your local Walmart. This iPhone SE is locked to Straight Talk and can only be used with Straight Talk service.
OP said he wanted an unlocked phone.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

starboi wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:09 pm
OP said he wanted an unlocked phone.
Indeed he wants a lot of things but is unwilling to pay for it, $149 is still not bad.
Topic Author
waltman300

Post by waltman300 »

Yea my iphone needs to be unlocked because its used abroad pretty much all year.

I never considered how much it cost per day... thats interesting way to look at it.

But anyone here say its fine to just use it as is without battery change... since i pretty much have that powerbank with me or could carry it with me?

Also anyone recommend the iphone ll vs the new iphone SE?

I mean... i could spend the money to buy the new SE from last year... but my iphone works fine. Like years ago... I didn't even want to move from my old iphone 4s to the SE.
starboi

Post by starboi »

waltman300 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:50 pm
But anyone here say its fine to just use it as is without battery change... since i pretty much have that powerbank with me or could carry it with me?
I don't like using external batteries because they add weight.
The 11 is more expensive, so up to you to decide if you want to pay up for the features. FYI the 11 does not have a Touch ID sensor. It uses Face ID. Which can be inconvenient with a mask on. On the other hand it does have much better battery life compared to the SE Gen 2. And a bigger screen.
I mean... i could spend the money to buy the new SE from last year... but my iphone works fine. Like years ago... I didn't even want to move from my old iphone 4s to the SE.
Sounds like you don't want to upgrade. Which is fine but just understand the risks if your old phone can't upgrade to iOS 15.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Waltman

Also understand that the new Iphone SE2 is NOT 5G but 4G LTE.

I would consider Google Pixel 4a with 5G or Google 5 with 5G.

You can use the Google Pixel phone in different networks across the globe.

Your plane ticket will probably be more than the cellphone.
Last edited by retire2022 on Mon May 03, 2021 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

CyclingDuo wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:59 pm
waltman300 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:29 am Okay well when i took a look at the iphone SE new one recently... it weigh less than the current iphone SE. Then again, i did have a case with my current SE... so maybe thats why? But the case isn't those heavy cases though. Also isn't the texture of both phones much different? The old SE feels more smoother... the new SE felt like more marbleish feeling? That is what i remember and wasn't that big fan of it. I did notice the screen size is bit bigger with the new SE.

Getting another battery in your old SE will set you back $49.

Personally, I would just get a new phone rather than trying to nurse along a phone that is already 5 years old.

I always break it down into a daily cost for owning the device. If you are going to pay $399 for a new iPhone SE and keep it 5 years. 5 x 365 days = 1825 days. $399 divided by 1825 days = 22 cents per day.

27 cents per day to keep it for 4 years.
36 cents per day to keep it for 3 years.
54 cents per day to keep it for 2 years.
$1.09 per day to keep it for 1 year.

Hey. Why not treat yourself to a 12 Pro Max for $1099 and keep it 5 years. That's only 60 cents a day. :beer

These things are not that expensive when you break it down into total cost of ownership for the device for the years you appear to use it.

Do we need to be beating ourselves up over spending 22 cents per day vs. 60 cents per day for a phone that we use for 5 years?

The big stuff - housing, transportation, food, health care is what we should be beating ourselves up over regarding the prices we pay and what that equates to for our daily/monthly/annual expenses. Not a device we use for many hours per day as a utility.

CyclingDuo
I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum. I generally expect things that cost e $1200 to last more than a few years.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

waltman300 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:50 pm Yea my iphone needs to be unlocked because its used abroad pretty much all year.

I never considered how much it cost per day... thats interesting way to look at it.

Look at Cricket.

$49 for an SE if you port your number and do a two month service plan of $60 a month, or $249 if you want a new number and can get any monthly service plan.

Phone is unlocked, as far as I know, as you only pay each month for service with Cricket.
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

I miss the days when I could just pop open the back of my phone and pop in a new battery. That also made it very convenient when I was going to be away from a power source for several days because I could just carry a few extra batteries. Sigh. I guess non-replaceable batteries are progress, at least for the people selling new phones.

One way to deal with poor battery life or the need for unusually long battery life is to get a small portable charger. My wife, kids, and I all carry an Anker charger when we travel. It's not as convenient as replaceable batteries were, but it's much better than running out of juice in the middle of Pokemon Go or using Google Maps to navigate back to your AirBnb.

https://www.anker.com/es/products/varia ... r/A1211013
anoop

Post by anoop »

It weighs about > 25% more.

BTW, if you check the forums, folks say the battery life in the SE2020 < 12 mini < 12 < 12 pro max. Heavy users think the 12 is the minimum to get through the day without needing to charge.

The 12 mini weighs less than the SE2020.