Using T.Rowe to replicate Vanguard's VOO/VTI

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
harshone

Using T.Rowe to replicate Vanguard's VOO/VTI

Post by harshone »

My parents want me to handle their 401k. I typically stick to VTI/VOO for things like Rotha IRA, but unfortunately T.Rowe doesn't have those options for 401k. I'm stuck with institutional versions of funds I'm not familiar with. I'm trying to choose the ones that come closest to VTI/VOO and requesting assistance in trying to determine what would come closest to replicating the S&P500 and total US market.

Here are the options available:
ALL-CAP OPPORTUNITIES (PRWAX) - looks like mainly growth companies
VANGUARD EXTENDED MKT INDEX (VEXAX) - looks like small and mid-cap companies
VANGUARD INST INDEX (VINIX) - looks like VOO (S&P500) and perhaps what I'm looking for
MID-CAP GROWTH (RPMGX) - perhaps this can be used in conjunction with another to get close to VTI
MID-CAP VALUE (TRMCX) - perhaps this can be used in conjunction with another to get close to VTI
SMALL-CAP STOCK (OTCFX) - I'm not a fan of small-caps but maybe it's useful in conjunction with another
VICTORY INTEGRITY SMCP VAL R6 (MVSSX) - unsure what this is

So I'm looking at VINIX to essentially replicate VOO. Any recommendations for getting some semblance of VTI?? Maybe a percentage of this, little of that.

I'm disappointed that t.rowe is so limited and has fairly high fees too compared to Vanguard. Unfortunately, that's the 401k company my parents have from work so I can't do anything about it. Thanks!
retired@50

Re: Using T.Rowe to replicate Vanguard's VOO/VTI

Post by retired@50 »

harshone wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:07 pm My parents want me to handle their 401k. I typically stick to VTI/VOO for things like Rotha IRA, but unfortunately T.Rowe doesn't have those options for 401k. I'm stuck with institutional versions of funds I'm not familiar with. I'm trying to choose the ones that come closest to VTI/VOO and requesting assistance in trying to determine what would come closest to replicating the S&P500 and total US market.

VANGUARD INST INDEX (VINIX) - looks like VOO (S&P500) and perhaps what I'm looking for

MID-CAP GROWTH (RPMGX) - perhaps this can be used in conjunction with another to get close to VTI
MID-CAP VALUE (TRMCX) - perhaps this can be used in conjunction with another to get close to VTI
SMALL-CAP STOCK (OTCFX) - I'm not a fan of small-caps but maybe it's useful in conjunction with another

So I'm looking at VINIX to essentially replicate VOO. Any recommendations for getting some semblance of VTI?? Maybe a percentage of this, little of that.

I'm disappointed that t.rowe is so limited and has fairly high fees too compared to Vanguard. Unfortunately, that's the 401k company my parents have from work so I can't do anything about it. Thanks!
Use the green funds above.

The Vanguard Institutional Index is an S&P 500 fund. No doubt about it.
The Vanguard Extended Market Index is the perfect compliment, because it precisely contains all the stocks that are NOT in the S&P 500 by design. Therefore, to mimic the total market you can mix them about 75% - 80% VINIX and 20%-25% VEXAX and you'll have it.

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
Topic Author
harshone

Post by harshone »

retired@50 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:17 pm
harshone wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:07 pm My parents want me to handle their 401k. I typically stick to VTI/VOO for things like Rotha IRA, but unfortunately T.Rowe doesn't have those options for 401k. I'm stuck with institutional versions of funds I'm not familiar with. I'm trying to choose the ones that come closest to VTI/VOO and requesting assistance in trying to determine what would come closest to replicating the S&P500 and total US market.

Use the green funds above.

The Vanguard Extended Market Index is the perfect compliment, because it precisely contains all the stocks that are NOT in the S&P 500 by design. Therefore, to mimic the total market you can mix them about 75% - 80% VINIX and 20%-25% VEXAX and you'll have it.

Regards,
Very well!

In your estimation, are any of the other ones worth considering for someone in early 60s (retiring at 70)? I plan on doing 60% stocks and 30% bonds (VANGUARD TOTAL BOND INDEX ADM -- VBTLX) and 10% in money market.
investmax

Post by investmax »

retired@50 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:17 pm
Use the green funds above. --> This

Regards,
Yes the combination you have mentioned above is essentially VTSAX. In fact you can tweak the VEXAX protion if you want higher/lowe exposure to mid and small cap.
Doc Ument

Post by Doc Ument »

Is there any reason not to consider moving your parents' 401K to another company as a rollover IRA?
I've done that with 401K and 403B plans and I'm glad I did. Personally I prefer Fidelity and Schwab above Vanguard; they have much better web features, research, and ways to invest including for instance fractional shares. And while VOO and VTI are good and fairly low expense funds (.03% each), Fidelity's FNILX and FZROX funds are effectively identical but with zero expense fees.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

harshone wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:31 pm
Very well!

In your estimation, are any of the other ones worth considering for someone in early 60s (retiring at 70)? I plan on doing 60% stocks and 30% bonds (VANGUARD TOTAL BOND INDEX ADM -- VBTLX) and 10% in money market.
I would stick with the low expense ratio index funds. An investor in their early 60s shouldn't be "experimenting" with any fresh ideas in my opinion. Mixing in the cash and bonds, as you propose above, sounds just right to my ears.

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.