Attic fan making noise lately

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mtmingus

Attic fan making noise lately

Post by mtmingus »

As far as I know most of the attic fans do not need lubrication. But my attic fan started making noise today (it's been on lately). I can hear it from the second floor and even outside in the yard.

Anyone had similar issue and any recommendation?

Thanks.
squirm

Re: Attic fan making noise lately

Post by squirm »

Maybe the bearings are going. There's really no fix it that's the issue.
David S

Post by David S »

Could be the belt needs replacing.
vineviz

Post by vineviz »

squirm wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:51 pm Maybe the bearings are going. There's really no fix it that's the issue.
I agree, though possibly lubricant might reduce the noise until a replacement can be installed or the bearings replaced.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch
Topic Author
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

Bearings? but it is still turning.
If the belt is aging, I guess it will still run till the belt is broken...
If it's not a simple lubrication issue, a repair may not be cost effective and might as well just have it replaced.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

When we had our house inspected prior to making an offer, one of the large gable fans was not operating. The inspector looked around and said, "if you want to make things more comfortable in the house and save energy, seal the attic from the house, put ridge vents in where they should have been in the first place and disconnect the one fan that still operated."

A lot depends on the structure and the type of fan you are using whether this is also advice that makes sense for you.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

What kind of noise? Rattle, squeak, vibration, ???

My house came with one and it always sounded like a freight train. After getting AC installed I decided to remove the louvers and seal it up. Eventually I went to drywall over the hole and discovered that the fan had never been fastened to the rafters - it was just sitting there vibrating like crazy which was causing much of the noise. Make sure yours hasn't vibrated something loose over the years.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

If the fan has sealed bearings, there is no fix but to replace it. Chances are it's a standard size and you can buy a direct fit replacement. If it is a belt drive, check the belt and it may also have greasable bearings.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

tev9876 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:22 pm What kind of noise? Rattle, squeak, vibration, ???

My house came with one and it always sounded like a freight train. After getting AC installed I decided to remove the louvers and seal it up. Eventually I went to drywall over the hole and discovered that the fan had never been fastened to the rafters - it was just sitting there vibrating like crazy which was causing much of the noise. Make sure yours hasn't vibrated something loose over the years.
Maybe OP can clarify but what you are describing is what I call a whole-house fan -- a fan that pulls air out of the house to draw outside air in to to cool the inside to of the house.

What I think of as an "attic fan" is either a gable fan or a fan that might penetrate the roof to expel hot air from an attic space.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

How old is it? Maybe it’s time for a new (quiet) one.

I just had my 20+ year-old gable-end attic fan replaced because I could hear it intermittently screeching while I was outside. It’s not an expensive item to replace.
Topic Author
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

jebmke wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:16 pm When we had our house inspected prior to making an offer, one of the large gable fans was not operating. The inspector looked around and said, "if you want to make things more comfortable in the house and save energy, seal the attic from the house, put ridge vents in where they should have been in the first place and disconnect the one fan that still operated."
Interesting!
But we have only regular (box?) vent on the roof, no fancy ridge vent.

What kind of noise? squeaky.

Is it possible a bird got stuck in the fan blade(s) - 1/5 of the fan opening looks dark from below?

The fan is about 4 years.
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

mtmingus wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:50 pm
jebmke wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:16 pm When we had our house inspected prior to making an offer, one of the large gable fans was not operating. The inspector looked around and said, "if you want to make things more comfortable in the house and save energy, seal the attic from the house, put ridge vents in where they should have been in the first place and disconnect the one fan that still operated."
Interesting!
But we have only regular (box?) vent on the roof, no fancy ridge vent.

What kind of noise? squeaky.

Is it possible a bird got stuck in the fan blade(s) - 1/5 of the fan opening looks dark from below?

The fan is about 4 years.
Have you been up into the attic to inspect it? We had a squealing attic fan recently. My dad diagnosed it as a bad motor so we replaced it. Once it gets hot in a few weeks, we'll see if that resolved the issue.