How much $$ to get kitchen cabinets painted?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
xtracrispy1031

How much $$ to get kitchen cabinets painted?

Post by xtracrispy1031 »

Hey all, wondering how much people have paid to get their kitchen cabinets painted... Kitchen is a pretty decent size, counted 37 drawers/cabinets plus an island. Getting quotes from $2,800-$4,000... In MCOL area. Thanks.
Arthur Digby Sellers

Re: How much $$ to get kitchen cabinets painted?

Post by Arthur Digby Sellers »

We recently paid $3450 to have our kitchen and bathroom cabinets repainted in a HCOL area. Your kitchen sounds significantly bigger than ours, but we did two separate bathroom cabinets as well for that price. It sounds like your quotes are within the right ballpark, at least.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

So, not trying to hijack your thread OP, but I’ve been considering a ‘cheap’ kitchen remodel.
I have builder grade cabinets that are in so-so shape. Can you get anything repainted? Or does condition matter? Can they rip off the existing granite and replace it too?
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Your quote sounds in line with what we paid about a year ago. Did the whole kitchen - totally worth it since the old decor was something that looked like out of the 70s! :P
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

I once looked at a home, where the owner had spray painted all of the cabinets black. I don't recommend that approach.
momvesting

Post by momvesting »

poker27 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:24 pm So, not trying to hijack your thread OP, but I’ve been considering a ‘cheap’ kitchen remodel.
I have builder grade cabinets that are in so-so shape. Can you get anything repainted? Or does condition matter? Can they rip off the existing granite and replace it too?
I don't know from a pro perspective, but I have DIY sanded, primed, and painted all of the vanities in our house. It wasn't about condition but about material. The real wood ones with a stain but no varnish are the easiest by far. I don't know how you would do a particle board, I think it would fall apart from sanding. I had one with thick varnish and I got it done but the sanding was very, very time consuming compared to the quick sanding I could do to the stained wood. Doing DIY in the bathroom was pretty straightforward (and I did one at a time), but I definitely think I'd hire out a kitchen unless I had a lot of professional tools, I can't imaging using my little hand sander on a whole kitchen.
runner540

Post by runner540 »

xtracrispy1031 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:58 pm Hey all, wondering how much people have paid to get their kitchen cabinets painted... Kitchen is a pretty decent size, counted 37 drawers/cabinets plus an island. Getting quotes from $2,800-$4,000... In MCOL area. Thanks.
This matches the quotes I’ve gotten for a smaller kitchen. Decided to not do it and wait for a full remodel.
MrCastaway

Post by MrCastaway »

Similar size setup as us in lcol. Paid 1800 last summer. I received quotes from 1800 to 3100.

We lucked out as the guy with the best reviews and was most responsive was the 1800 guy. He was booked a month and half in advance though.
rascott

Post by rascott »

What quality of build are the cabinets? That seems like a reasonable price, assuming it's a highly trusted painter. A lot of prep work needed to do the job well and have it hold up.

I'd only do this if these were really good quality cabinets that are very structurally sound
ACN

Post by ACN »

We just remodeles our kitchen. We live in LCOL (probably less competition, may be higher prices.) Quotes were 4800-8000. That involved painting an island (12'), cabinets in living room (around a fireplace 5' each side) and an L shaped kitchen. We have real wood custom cabinets throughout.

We went with the 4800 quote. The guys worked at the cabinet shop and did their own painting on the weekends or evenings after work. Latex paint, 5 coats with a spray gun (2 primer, 2 color, 1 top coat). Entire area was draped off and very strong odor. If you're sensitive to smells, get a hotel room for 1-2 nights.

My wife had our island painted two years ago. They came in with a brush, charged $1k and started chipping within 1 month.

You get what you pay for. Ask the appropriate questions.
London

Post by London »

I did this myself in my old house. Despite being a small kitchen, it was a ton of work. Despite being fairly methodical and handy, the results weren’t what I had hoped. Probably 60 hours of labor all in.

For my new house, which has a very large kitchen, we decided to get it done. After getting reviews from others who have recently had it done, we paid about $8,500 (HCOL area). Three guys worked six 12 hour days. So greater than 200 hours of labor. The results are very impressive. The cabinets look like new. With 5 layers of primer/lacquer, I expect it to last.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

xtracrispy1031 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:58 pm Hey all, wondering how much people have paid to get their kitchen cabinets painted... Kitchen is a pretty decent size, counted 37 drawers/cabinets plus an island. Getting quotes from $2,800-$4,000... In MCOL area. Thanks.
We got our kitchen cabinets painted with new shelves and two bathroom vanities painted for 2K
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" H.L. Mencken
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

There is an alternate kitchen cabinet remodel, besides painting them, that involves refinishing the face frames and installing new doors for a very new and different look. Have you considered that?

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:07 am There is an alternate kitchen cabinet remodel, besides painting them, that involves refinishing the face frames and installing new doors for a very new and different look. Have you considered that?

+1

This was going to be my recommendation as well. I have repainted all my kitchen cabinets in the past and it required a ton or work and while it looked great for awhile, it was nowhere near as durable as the original paint job. After what I went through, a good friend opted for just ordering new doors and refinishing the face frames of the cabinets which see hardly any wear. By the time I priced out my labor of painting, I think it was not only cheaper to buy new doors but the results were a lot better.
Somethingwitty92912

Post by Somethingwitty92912 »

I don’t mean to be glib, but you could buy enough paint and brushes to do that for less than say... 400$
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Somethingwitty92912 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:15 am
I don’t mean to be glib, but you could buy enough paint and brushes to do that for less than say... 400$
People who have never painted cabinets say stuff like this. The reality is that filling grain and getting the nice smooth finish that people expect with painted cabinets is very difficult and labor intensive. You also have to paint the cabinet frames unless you have full overlay doors. There's likely sides of cabinets that also need to be painted. Its a lot of work. If you don't mind a low quality look and want to call it "farmhouse" then yeah you can do it for $400 and in a weekend.
Topic Author
xtracrispy1031

Post by xtracrispy1031 »

Good stuff here, everyone. Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't considered the new doors approach, and will look into that as well. I really like the guy with the 4k estimate, pricier than our others but reviews are great and I don't want to sacrifice quality to save $500 or a grand. We plan on being in this house for at least 20+ more years. Thanks all.
mkc

Post by mkc »

A durable "paint" job on cabinets isn't paint, it's conversion varnish. It looks like paint (and can be done to match a trim paint color), but it's not something an interior painter typically does.
CoastLawyer2030

Post by CoastLawyer2030 »

I have done this before and it is something I would DIY again.

First things first -- you need to use good paint. I would go to PPG or Sherwin Williams. Do not go to a big box store.

It is obviously somewhat methodical, but the labor is easy. This is not hard work.

There is an application to get any varnish off. Then you can sand with a very fine grit. Then paint with two coats. The good thing is that if there are any errors it is always fixable.

Something that will save you a lot of time is putting masking tape on the back of the cabinets and also on cups with all the handles.

If you have a partner to help you this could be done in a weekend and the total cost would be a couple hundred bucks.

Just posting an alternative thought.
kgressler

Post by kgressler »

rockstar wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:05 pm I once looked at a home, where the owner had spray painted all of the cabinets black. I don't recommend that approach.
Been in a couple homes that had painted cabinets they look great from a few feet away. Somewhere better than others but they all showed nicks in high use areas. We just purchased a house last march that had painted cabinets. We thought it was a decent job but they must haver just had hem done because they had chips in them within a month.
I Absolutely would never do it. We just ended up choosing to replace all the cabinets. Our kitchen isn't huge 9 Base cabinets including and island and 7 wall cabinets and we paid approx. $5500. And this was with all soft close hardware. These were not high end cabinets by no means but for our neighborhood (typical homes is (200-275) I would say they a huge upgrade to what most have from what i've seen.
If you plan on staying there I would bet you wont be happy just my opinion.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

I wonder if one has inexpensive 80s plywood cabinets like I do, if it can be better to just get new cabinets from IKEA.

If you have high quality wood cabinets then painting makes sense though. I think to do a good job you may need to take them off to paint them depending on the paint that’s used (and how smelly it is.)
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

barnaclebob wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:34 am
People who have never painted cabinets say stuff like this. The reality is that filling grain and getting the nice smooth finish that people expect with painted cabinets is very difficult and labor intensive. You also have to paint the cabinet frames unless you have full overlay doors. There's likely sides of cabinets that also need to be painted. Its a lot of work. If you don't mind a low quality look and want to call it "farmhouse" then yeah you can do it for $400 and in a weekend.
This.

We live in a HCOLA and for a similar kitchen with an island were quoted from $5500-$8000. As mentioned it is labor intensive and most cost is labor. I decided to give it a go and practice on the bathroom. Lots of sanding... before, primer, 3-4 coats & touch ups. If you want a nice finish it is all about the sanding. It was all good until you get to the doors which need to try 2 days with the leveling paint to get a nice finish. It took 2 weeks just for 4 doors and 3 drawers. It is not easy and took a long time but no drips or specs. Cost about $200 for the bathroom. Going to tackle the kitchen this summer.

Why am I doing this? It was a spousal compromise... I could paint the cabinets or buy the carbon full suspension bike I have been wanting. I chose the bike!
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

I did it myself in a previous house. It is a tremendous amount of work to do correctly. I worked my way through college as a commercial painter for a big paint shop in Portland so I knew something of what I was doing.

I bought a decent spray gun and compressor.

I pulled off all the doors and set them all up in my 2-car garage on sawhorses and planks with drop cloths covering all floor surfaces.

I spent a LOT of time hand sanding and sanding with an orbital sander to prep them.

I sprayed on about 4 coats of white oil-based lacquer, sanding in-between.

Then re-installed them all.

It was at least 40-60 hours of work. Sure you can just grab a brush and paint them but you will get poor results and likely unsatisfactory results depending on what kind of coating is already on the doors and what type of paint you intend to us.

The prices you are being quoted are pretty reasonable for doors that are going to be removed and professionally sprayed in a professional spray shop. at those prices I'd just pay to have it done, rather than doing it all myself again and I still have all the tools and knowledge.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

finite_difference wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:47 pm I wonder if one has inexpensive 80s plywood cabinets like I do, if it can be better to just get new cabinets from IKEA.

If you have high quality wood cabinets then painting makes sense though. I think to do a good job you may need to take them off to paint them depending on the paint that’s used (and how smelly it is.)
Ikea cabinets are sold by the component. You can actually just buy the Ikea doors and not the whole cabinet but they will need to be of a compatible frameless style and size. But in theory, you could probably just buy a whole new set of Ikea cabinet doors for the cost of a professional paint job.
Somethingwitty92912

Pssh, you can knock that out in a weekend an do a professional quality job as long as you take your time. Let me guess you are a painter for a living? ;)
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

texasdiver wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:15 pm I did it myself in a previous house. It is a tremendous amount of work to do correctly. I worked my way through college as a commercial painter for a big paint shop in Portland so I knew something of what I was doing.

I bought a decent spray gun and compressor.

I pulled off all the doors and set them all up in my 2-car garage on sawhorses and planks with drop cloths covering all floor surfaces.

I spent a LOT of time hand sanding and sanding with an orbital sander to prep them.

I sprayed on about 4 coats of white oil-based lacquer, sanding in-between.

Then re-installed them all.

It was at least 40-60 hours of work. Sure you can just grab a brush and paint them but you will get poor results and likely unsatisfactory results depending on what kind of coating is already on the doors and what type of paint you intend to us.

The prices you are being quoted are pretty reasonable for doors that are going to be removed and professionally sprayed in a professional spray shop. at those prices I'd just pay to have it done, rather than doing it all myself again and I still have all the tools and knowledge.
Pretty similar to what my guy did- set up a station in my garage and set up high intensity lights- IMPORTANT: tape location on both cabinets and doors - He then used about a case of KILZ cans as a primer but then brushed the final coatings. Reinstalled. $1700, but I have given him a lotof business and referals over the years.
fallingeggs

Post by fallingeggs »

Ain't this this truth! I'm in the middle (actually, first quarter) of painting (new) cabinet doors, and boy it is a lot of effort to get it right. A lot. I baulked at the price, but now I know what goes into it. Elbow grease and skill. Lots of skill. Wife wants me to give up. I'm trying to soldier on, but I might not last. Ripping out the old kitchen to concrete (in FL!) and building it anew was easier than this painting.
GKSD

Post by GKSD »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:07 am There is an alternate kitchen cabinet remodel, besides painting them, that involves refinishing the face frames and installing new doors for a very new and different look. Have you considered that?

+1

Just did this few months back. Replaced all old original 20 yrs old cabinet doors and drawer-fronts with Maple wood and Cherry wood doors/fronts. DW had come up with 2-toned design for the kitchen. Replaced all handles and knobs with new hardware. The refacing looks awesome. Total cost was $18K.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

This is only true if your time is free. Even if you enjoy the type of work, unless you are a vampire, time is very very expensive.
Nebraska_Drought

Post by Nebraska_Drought »

MCOL area and we did this over a year and a half ago. You do get what you pay for ! We had quotes come in from $1500 to $4500. With custom cabinets in our house, we wanted to do it "right" and not go cheap. Our guys came in and spent about 3 full days scrubbing down the cabinet surfaces with green scrub pads. It was crazy how dirty our cabinets were and how much crap they capture. They sprayed on a primer, paint, seal and on our island a separate glaze. The process was very tough and even 18 month later, no chipping or paint issues. We purchased new pulls and they filled in the old and installed the new. They took all the "faces" of the cabinets and drawers off and did them in their shop to make sure they were done how they wanted them. All in all, we were right at $4800 as we paid a bit more to do the glazing on the island. Most of the work was done in about 8 working days and they were complete professionals.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

GKSD wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:49 pm

+1

Just did this few months back . . . Total cost was $18K.
$18,000 ?!
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

Well OP would need orbital sander to speed up the sanding and lots of sanding pads, and lots of sweat equity. Btw - dont use orbital sander indoor. Lesson learned the first of several days work. Added lots of wiping down stuff, vacuuming, mopping.
SwampDonkey

Post by SwampDonkey »

Hi,

We live in MCOL and received a quote for $2,500. This was for 28 cabinet doors/drawers and an island.

I decided to DIY and spent $290 for all supplies (including $100 for a paint gun from Amazon). It's been nearly two years and they still look great. I kept meticulous account of my time spent as I wanted to see how much I was paying myself by DIY. It took me 57 hours for everything. This includes removing all of the doors and drawer faces, drilling new hardware holes and filling old hardware holes, scrubbing with TSP, scrubbing with deglosser, two coats of primer, two coats of paint, reassembling everything. If you enjoy projects and have the time, I'd recommend the DIY route.
Somethingwitty92912

Starfish wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:10 pm
This is only true if your time is free. Even if you enjoy the type of work, unless you are a vampire, time is very very expensive.
As with all things financial, calculations apply.
Gabelli2020

Post by Gabelli2020 »

Painting can be therapeutic. During the pandemic, we (as a family) repainted most of our living room, dining room, and all of the kitchen cabinets. The cabinets were the toughest.We stayed with white on white for the cabinets with high grade Home Depot brushes and paint.
The brush strokes and appearance of grain have faded nicely. I’d give ourselves a B+
And yes, I can afford any of the previously noted bids
GKSD

Post by GKSD »

SrGrumpy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:31 pm
GKSD wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:49 pm

+1

Just did this few months back . . . Total cost was $18K.
$18,000 ?!
Yes, material+ labor. All doors and drawer fronts are custom Maple and Cherry wood. This is in Southern Cali. and I guess wood is expensive. And its a mid-size kitchen.

Homedepot quoted $30K for the same job.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Somethingwitty92912 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:01 pm
Pssh, you can knock that out in a weekend an do a professional quality job as long as you take your time. Let me guess you are a painter for a living? ;)
Not a painter but I've built a set of raised panel doors from rough lumber (18 doors for about $3500 including a new table saw and router). I chose maple mainly to make painting easier even though it added to the cost of the doors. Painting was still a lot of work and took a decent amount of skill to get a nice smooth finish. Id say my effort looked professional to the untrained eye but surely not to a painters eye.

I'd like to see anyone get a professional finish on 30 cabinet doors that need grain filled in a weekend...
Gabelli2020

Post by Gabelli2020 »

The secret is to not invite professional painters over. I anguished over the visibility of my brush strokes for about 30 seconds.
More important things in life
daytona084

Post by daytona084 »

I did it myself. The results are highly satisfactory. Started with builder-grade cabinets. I removed all the doors and drawer fronts for painting. I even re-painted a large portion of the job because we didn't like the first color we tried.

The secret is to use the right paint. Benjamin Moore Advance - - Satin Finish. Applied with a foam roller, and brush where needed... This paint goes on beautifully and you can't really tell it's not a factory finsh. It's also very durable. No chips or dings so far after a few years of use. I lightly sanded everything by hand, and used a good bonding primer. My Benjamin Moore store sells one appropriately called "Stix".
mrsmitt

Post by mrsmitt »

You can also consider replacing your current cabinets with a nice hardwood RTA from online stores. Average kitchen will be around $3k-5k with hardware and inserts.
Somethingwitty92912

barnaclebob wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:35 pm
Somethingwitty92912 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:01 pm
Not a painter but I've built a set of raised panel doors from rough lumber (18 doors for about $3500 including a new table saw and router). I chose maple mainly to make painting easier even though it added to the cost of the doors. Painting was still a lot of work and took a decent amount of skill to get a nice smooth finish. Id say my effort looked professional to the untrained eye but surely not to a painters eye.

I'd like to see anyone get a professional finish on 30 cabinet doors that need grain filled in a weekend...
I mean okay, then two, I mean I guess they will have to take some time away from tv and hop scotch an do some work on an asset that they will enjoy. I feel like the learning of it would pay for itself in due time. I am an individual with my own perspective I guess.
musicmom

Post by musicmom »

We're having our cabinets painted in May.
30 doors/drawers. Sturdy but ugly 80's oak. VHCOL. Got several quotes most in same ballpark; one outlier was double!
We hired a local painter in business 20+ years. Very detailed contract, insured, great references.
Total will be $3600 material and labor.
Ben Moore paint. Taking all doors and drawer fronts back to shop.
Cant wait!
johnny

Post by johnny »

Hired a contractor friend to do it a few years ago. It's a medium sized kitchen. I think he did it for for around $1,500 but in retrospect he may have underbid. It's a labor-intensive process -- lots of knobs and hardware to deal with.